Pros/Cons PBR Viewer whats your take

Jase Devin

Just to note if people are shopping Nvidia GPU's/New computers with GPU's, bigger number does not always mean faster

So when you see a card like GeForce GTX 3060

30 The generation
60 The performance tier

For instanance a 3080 GPU which is the high performance tier previous generation GPU outperforms a 4060 low performance tier current generation GPU.

You also want to check  if the card says 6GB 8GB 10GB etc - This is the VRAM. Get the most VRAM you can get largely because SL is not made by professionals and is spammed up by people putting high res textures everywhere - The more VRAM you have the less you'll experience textures blurring all over the place.

You can see a performance chart here (order by G3D mark) to see how GPU's stack up against each other in reality.

Edited by Extrude Ragu
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I have a pretty good PC, bought just a week ago for £1000. An I5-3400 with an RTX 4060

My first experience of PBR viewer was logging in to a sailstice event. On the recommended graphics setting my FPS were between 5 and 10.

I had to drop settings down to one dot above medium get things back to useable.

you miss out a lot of things to optimise

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am certainly very aware that some people have computers that are struggling with the new viewers, but where on earth did you get that stat from????

Your argument would be more convincing if you weren't simply making things up, maybe?

I had a bf friend when I was younger that every time he got in trouble and I was around, he would say, he's gonna blow this up to my mom..

We were in the back yard one time and he was digging in the mud and then threw mud at me so I threw mud back at him.

His dad seen us and came out and chewed us out..

He said, watch he's gonna blow this up to my mom.. So we went just outside the kitchen window to listen..

I was covering my mouth to keep from laughing to where anyone could hear me..

His father was in there yelling to his mother saying. Them kids are out there tearing up the back yard diggin holes and have mud slung from one end of the yard to the other and covered from head to toe!!

I had to run away from the window and just had to burst out laughing so hard.. I think just because  of his saying that his father was going to do that, plus how much he blew it up..

It kinda made getting in trouble  worth it.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
fixed the word Windown to Window
  • Like 2

Honestly I am skeptical in loading the new update. I have a new MacBook Pro and I don't think my MacBook can handle the graphics. People are telling me that it will kill my MacBook and SL will run super slow. I spent a lot of $$ on my MacBook Pro as you know Apple is not cheap so I don't want it fried when it's new. For now I"ll have to stay with the old viewer. However,  what happens when FS says that it will no longer support the older viewer ....I have to leave SL? FS needs to keep a viewer that will run for Macbook's and other computers that will not be able to support the new features. Another thing....How do you get rid of the red pop up for updates....It's a pain to have to see that when I log. 

3 hours ago, skylei Caproni said:

....How do you get rid of the red pop up for updates....It's a pain to have to see that when I log. 

I would suggest you ditch it and switch to Genesis for the time being. It's pre-PBR. But ultra-fast and absolutely no wait time for anything to render.  It literally beats any viewer out there, including Firestorm and Second Life.  I tried it the other day, and I was stunned.  As I said, I wish this had been around years ago!  So give it a try. 

20 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Just to note if people are shopping Nvidia GPU's/New computers with GPU's, bigger number does not always mean faster

So when you see a card like GeForce GTX 3060

30 The generation
60 The performance tier

For instanance a 3080 GPU which is the high performance tier previous generation GPU outperforms a 4060 low performance tier current generation GPU.

You also want to check  if the card says 6GB 8GB 10GB etc - This is the VRAM. Get the most VRAM you can get largely because SL is not made by professionals and is spammed up by people putting high res textures everywhere - The more VRAM you have the less you'll experience textures blurring all over the place.

You can see a performance chart here (order by G3D mark) to see how GPU's stack up against each other in reality.

You forget, especially with GPU's, to mention the most important item of it: the memory bus. The lower that number, the lesser the performance will be.

11 hours ago, DevlinMcDermott said:

I would suggest you ditch it and switch to Genesis for the time being. It's pre-PBR. But ultra-fast and absolutely no wait time for anything to render.  It literally beats any viewer out there, including Firestorm and Second Life.  I tried it the other day, and I was stunned.  As I said, I wish this had been around years ago!  So give it a try. 

Unfortunately, it's only available for Windows....Mac isn't supported. :(  How is the Second life viewer? Will it kill my MacBook as this new release of Firestorm?

15 hours ago, skylei Caproni said:

People are telling me that it will kill my MacBook and SL will run super slow. I spent a lot of $$ on my MacBook Pro as you know Apple is not cheap so I don't want it fried when it's new.

Well we can fix that: those people are stupid or lying.

It won't run great (Apple computers are essentially running SL through emulation with a big performance penalty) but it will run, it won't damage anything. It might run well enough to satisfy you even, it really depends what kind of things you do/places you visit.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DevlinMcDermott said:

They will add PBR though, just as soon as LL fixes all the bugs.

I guess that means we can use Genesis for years then 😂

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, DevlinMcDermott said:

It was,  Singularity viewer. Singularity stopped updating for a year or 2 way back, Genesis picked up the code and made a new viewer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

It was,  Singularity viewer. Singularity stopped updating for a year or 2 way back, Genesis picked up the code and made a new viewer.

Yep. As much as I like Cool VL with PBR and ALM shut off, Genesis really is a nice viewer for lower spec machines... maybe I should try it on my hacked Win11 PC, the 12 yo rescued laptop... hmm... or in Wine under Lubuntu, got two of them recently.

18 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Genesis really is a nice viewer for lower spec machines...

That's because it is still using the Windlight renderer and shaders (as opposed to the Extended Environment shaders and renderer for the ALM and forward modes of my viewer)... They indeed are lighter and better suited for PCs dating from the pre-OpenGL-v3 era.

This said, Genesis is Windows-only... 😢

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Yep. As much as I like Cool VL with PBR and ALM shut off, Genesis really is a nice viewer for lower spec machines... maybe I should try it on my hacked Win11 PC, the 12 yo rescued laptop... hmm... or in Wine under Lubuntu, got two of them recently.

Does it have the Grid Manager still for OS grids?

5 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

It's all in the Inventory... v1's way.

But for LM's you can also use the World map (drop down combo/search box), and the Teleport history floater instead of the ”favorites” v2 stuff...

Ahh thank you. I liked the implementation of pbr in it, but I'm use to firestorm. So maybe you've heard a million times, need the button arrangements going on there for ease of access :)

Thanks for the reply.

4 hours ago, Jase Devin said:

I've been trying different viewers now, which is good option. I like Cool VLViewer. Long time Firestorm user here.

But feel like total noob in there, I couldn't even find like a landmarks interface or, outfits 🤥

I'm trying different one too and lost as it gets.. But it's kind of fun exploring what they have.