Creeped out as f. Profile copying bot? What's going on?

2 hours ago, Isskald said:

Why would a random account be messing with me and have an almost word-for-word profile ready just 30 seconds after my arrival to said sim?

If you clicked in their profile from local chat its possible you clicked on your own name by mistake.

I’ve done that myself, but my first reaction wasnt omg someone copied my profile.

edit… oh almost word for word? not identical? then in that case perhaps you just have common plattitudes found many in profiles found all across second life

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff
  • Like 1

One can edit one's profile on the web, but I don't think it's possible anymore to replace the photos without logging in and doing it in-world. Maybe there's still a back door for that, too. (I'm not sure the "copied" profile had the photos anyway, given that the OP specified "literally the same words" so maybe that's not a problem needing to be solved.)

Anyway, aside from the photos, I think all the rest could be a trivial bit of LSL telling a web bot to scrape the text of a new arrival's profile and paste it into the mystery avatar's profile; could be done in a few milliseconds and might stay there until the next new arrival in the region, in hopes of freaking out the faint of heart (or something).

Technically, I suppose it is a copyright violation. Hard to prove damages, but a cease and desist letter could be some lulz. Now where did I put that contact card from Dewey, Cheatham & Howe?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

If it was exactly the same, my guess is that you clicked on your name by mistake in local chat.

Absolutely not.

Also, it wasn't all the same; it had parts that were exactly the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

One can edit one's profile on the web, but I don't think it's possible anymore to replace the photos without logging in and doing it in-world. Maybe there's still a back door for that, too. (I'm not sure the "copied" profile had the photos anyway, given that the OP specified "literally the same words" so maybe that's not a problem needing to be solved.)

Anyway, aside from the photos, I think all the rest could be a trivial bit of LSL telling a web bot to scrape the text of a new arrival's profile and paste it into the mystery avatar's profile; could be done in a few milliseconds and might stay there until the next new arrival in the region, in hopes of freaking out the faint of heart (or something).

Technically, I suppose it is a copyright violation. Hard to prove damages, but a cease and desist letter could be some lulz. Now where did I put that contact card from Dewey, Cheatham & Howe?

thought the second name was Scrooem 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Isskald said:

Absolutely not.

Also, it wasn't all the same; it had parts that were exactly the same.

I can write a list of probably two dozen word for word sentences that you will find in profiles all over second life.

Here is one from my profile to start you off.

”I’m here to meet people, make friends, and have fun”

If I saw that exact same line on another profile I wouldn’t go omg that person stole my profile. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I can write a list of probably two dozen word for word sentences that you will find in profiles all over second life.

If I saw that exact same line on another profile I wouldn’t go omg that person stole my profile. 

Yeah, not my profile, friend. Not by a mile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Isskald said:

Kind of "EXACTLY!"

Why? 

Who knows?  You'll probably never know.  As I said, I knew a girl that blatantly stole things from my profile.  It's not against any rule in SL.  She wasn't impersonating me.  The person who stole your profile isn't impersonating you, either.  They could even use your user name as their display name and it wouldn't be against any rule that I'm aware of.     If it's a bot, who cares?  

This won't be the last odd thing/person you encounter in your SL journey.   I'm sure we all have a weird story or 10 to tell.  

Just add it to your own list of oddball things that happen in SL.  And don't worry about it.   Keep your log in credentials private, don't click on links and you should be fine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Isskald said:

I didn't react at all

Yes, you did, you came here and made this thread, demanding to know what's happening, if it's allowed, and can you blame it on a bot, instead of just blaming some random jerk.

Congratulations, you let them win.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I know why this happened. The avatar saw you teleport in and immediately looked at your profile and copied it to their own. Ctrl-c and Ctrl-p. Easy to do. 

They then stood around near your to see if you would react to your profile copied to their profile. This is called trolling. They are doing or saying something to get a reaction that is entertaining to the troll. After you stop reacting they will change their profile back or leave it up until they can find another person with a profile they want to copy. 

In real life, trolling is normally done between people who know each other because the troll knows about their target and expects them to react predictably. However, on the internet and in SecondLife people will troll strangers but the outcome is often unpredictable and possibly not entertaining. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Thecla said:

What kind of help can anyone here possibly give you? It's not a technical glitch.

The only person that can help you is the person who's profile you were looking at. If you're certain they copied it, ask them why. Better yet, completely ignore them and go about your day.

Maybe a little validation to the issue and some sympathy.  They obviously are upset and to make fun or be sarcastic is not helping at all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

"You mess with _________ and you mess with the family"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I met a woman several years ago and we chatted ONCE.   I had mentioned to her at the time that I like what she'd written in one of her Picks.   I see her a week or so later and she's taken several of my picks and used them in her profile...word for word.  My words!  I didn't even bother saying anything to her but I did put a little mention about people stealing things from profiles in my own profile with her name attached.  Quotes are one thing.  Stealing someone's own words is another, IMO.

I met a fellow at a club a while back, loved a few things he had in his profile and have some of them para-phrased in mine.  The difference - I asked his permission (and got it) first.  

Worse is seeing pics of yourself taken from Flickr on someone else's profile.  Been there!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm really not a believable candidate for any kind of social revenge.

Nah, for your own peace of mind, don't take it that way.  Assume that

(1) You are a fascinating person

(2) You have encountered a stranger who recognizes how fascinating you are but has practically no imagination.

(3) That person has paid you a great compliment by copying the things that she liked about you in a desperate attempt to be just as fascinating.

None of that may be true, but the person has really done you no harm. Just accept it as a weird compliment and move on.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jordyn McGregor said:

Worse is seeing pics of yourself taken from Flickr on someone else's profile.  Been there!!!

Perks up at the newfound means to tick off Jordy and sneaks off with a maniacal giggle.

Just when I think I know all the ways one person can grief another here.....sigh*

There's a lot of strange people out there who make a habit of bugging others, Isskald.  I understand how it can be unnerving to run into yet another one..

• Like 1

Interesting that no one mentioned that it just simply could be a viewer glitch. He did say that when he came back on there was no sign of the account anymore. 

All these conspiracy theories are entertaining but IMO it was simply a glitch in the viewer.  Nothing nefarious going on.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Isskald said:

Why would a random account be messing with me and have an almost word-for-word profile ready just 30 seconds after my arrival to said sim?

People tend to use alts when they try to create this kind of drama.

16 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I know why this happened. The avatar saw you teleport in and immediately looked at your profile and copied it to their own. Ctrl-c and Ctrl-p. Easy to do. 

They then stood around near your to see if you would react to your profile copied to their profile. This is called trolling. They are doing or saying something to get a reaction that is entertaining to the troll. After you stop reacting they will change their profile back or leave it up until they can find another person with a profile they want to copy. 

In real life, trolling is normally done between people who know each other because the troll knows about their target and expects them to react predictably. However, on the internet and in SecondLife people will troll strangers but the outcome is often unpredictable and possibly not entertaining. 

Thank you, this sounds plausible.

• Haha 1