BBB & Bias: Currently FOUR regions to 'decorate' for the 'community event'?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 70 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, AzureWaves said:

The real question is how does one get to be on the The Bellisseria 6th Anniversary Planning Committee for next year?

No, the real question is why would one want to? You're not getting paid and you've got approximately two years worth of bootlicking to do before you even get a sniff of a free (temporary) sim to decorate.

Furthermore, a subsection of the population will be everlastingly bitter about your access to said free sim because fitting out entire regions is an expensive hobby far beyond the reach of most residents, much like Victorians on 2048 plots.

You are much better off taking Prok's suggestion of doing your own thing, which has the added advantage of you maybe perhaps being able to make enough money to offset your costs.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

Not sure why it isnt run by Lindens or Moles, Bellisseria is one of the biggest cash cows in Second Life.

Because if you can find people silly enough to do it purely for kudos and (temporary) free sims, it would be stupid to pay for it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

Not sure why it isnt run by Lindens or Moles, Bellisseria is one of the biggest cash cows in Second Life.

LL and the Moles already run several events every year.
And there are more than this Birthday event that they only support with some land, advise and if needed a helping hand.

Lindens and Moles are payed functions. So them organizing such extra events is costly for the Lab.
Volunteers running the show is financially a much cheaper  solution for the Lab I guess, especially for smaller events like this upcoming one.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mouse Mimistrobell said:

I'm trying to understand this whole thread, and this BBB group. It says the group is open for anyone to join? It's the, Belliseria Bureau of Bureaucracy, is that correct?

4 hours ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

The Bellisserian Bureau of Bureaucracy and the BBBUG (BBB Users Group) are two separate groups.

The BBBUG is the one you have to request to join, and currently has getting on for a thousand members (mostly, I suspect, people who wanted the group gifts on display in HQ).

The actual BBB is a private group with around twenty members, which was gifted said HQ by the Lindens.

(edited for clarity)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

(edited for clarity)

OHHHH I just tried to join. I didn't realize that the BBB was a private group.  The thread gets a bit confusing because it seems like the BBB is being used to describe everything. But it's a private group that has Linden support? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mouse Mimistrobell said:

OHHHH I just tried to join. I didn't realize that the BBB was a private group.  The thread gets a bit confusing because it seems like the BBB is being used to describe everything. But it's a private group that has Linden support? 

What does the private BBB group do?  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RobertRhodan said:

That's in a 4 minutes video what the unpaid BBB team does for the community, investing their own spare time. We're not Lindens or Moles, just private citizens of Bellisseria.

And regarding "Can I join the BBB ?" .. if you are fluent in LSL, SQL, PHP, HTML, and Google Script, or happy to design new stamps upon request of (non-commercial) owners with GIMP etc., and willing to spend quite an amount of your SL time to help the community with free-of-charge things - BBB is recruiting ! No pay, no personal rewards, occasionally some kudos, and occasionally some rants too, sigh.

Edited by RobertRhodan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Let's all be honest here. No one actually wants to join the private  Bureau of Bureaucracy.  What everyone is upset about is that they aren't allowed to join it.  

It's the corollary to not wanting to join a club that would have you as a member - wanting to join a club that won't have you as a member.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

They basically roleplay as the Bellisseria city council. Issue passports to roleplayers. (Yes. Really.) Adminster the Parade of Homes and the Gazette. Set up ugly kiosks all over the grid so people can stamp their passports. Decorate mainland parcels and call them 'Embassies'. For this, the Lindens love them and lavish land upon them.

I know. As Love says, it's very silly.

Gee, usually city councils are elected by the residents, no? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mouse Mimistrobell said:

Gee, usually city councils are elected by the residents, no? 

Yes, but they are totally unofficial.
I could claim to be the king of Bellisseria and would have the same status as BBB.

So please address me as Royal Highness from now on.  :D

I will start a group for the royal court members soon™.
Starting April 1 I will be waving every Monday on my balcony to my loyal Bellisserian nationals.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I could claim to be the king of Bellisseria and would have the same status as BBB.

Your Royal Highness, how many regions does LL give you when you want to sponsor a party?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I will start a group for the royal court members soon™.
Starting April 1 I will be waving every Monday on my balcony to my loyal Bellisserian nationals.

Can I join?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Flower Caerndow said:

Your Royal Highness, how many regions does LL give you when you want to sponsor a party?

I'm too busy hunting for freebies and shopping at 60 L$ events to organize something so trivial as a party for the commons.
Just the thought that I would have to do all that work.  Really.
I only want to stir my Royal Martini with my Royal Martini spoon. That's more than enough work.
Mind you, I have to wave from the balcony of my Royal Castle in Newbrooke too every Monday, starting April 1.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Phun intended.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'm not sure I understand the bitter tones expressed here. I keep pretty much to myself so haven't witnessed any kind of discriminatory behaviour or favourtism, so maybe I'm missing something, but IMO the people who organise these kind of groups in Belli aren't paid and did it off their own backs, in their own time when Belli was created. They put time and effort in to create events and activities for anyone to attend, and things like parties, passports, driving licences and locations list - which are fun places to explore created by other residents both in Belli and on the mainland.

It's kind of the tone expressed here that would make anyone not want to bother - and SL is built on users being creative and doing stuff.

And if LL are showing any support like land to decorate for the anniversary, well they are a business and it makes sense from their perspective to support something that is a money maker for them - linden homes in Bellisseria.

42 minutes ago, Mouse Mimistrobell said:

What does the private BBB group do?  

My guess it's so the ones running the passports etc.  can coordinate, communicate and organise themselves and what they do.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 5

More importantly, does it actually matter? Really?

This morning I had to put the rubber gloves on and unclog a drain in my RL garden, something that actually, really, had some importance.

Does being left out of a virtual designer club, really matter?

• Like 4

All over Second Life there are people who not only spend a lot of their own time and effort to create activities, events and places for people to visit but also need to spend their own funds to pay tier or rent for the land to use. Recently I learned they are also expected to monitor their land 24/7 to prevent any TOS violations from occurring.

So please excuse them for getting upset when some groups get land to use at no cost for "the good of the community" 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

For those wondering why I decorate the region for the anniversary, it's because Bellisseria is a community, and my aim is for others to enjoy the event. It's a significant effort, and without already owning the necessary items, I wouldn't undertake it. The decorations I use were acquired for my own use well before I chose to contribute. Previously, I landscaped homesteads I rented from other residents for my own enjoyment. The phrase 'virtual designer club' amuses me as it can often be troublesome. If you're keen, become active in the community and maintain a positive outlook. I believe Linden Lab would prefer event organizers who are not negative. Honesty and openness are likely the best policies. From forum discussions, it appears some harbor envy, which baffles me. If I weren't involved, someone else would take over, and that would be fine by me. I'm not preoccupied with what others have. My goal is simply to have fun and savor my experiences in Second Life. I have no desire for anyone else's drama. Wishing everyone a fantastic Second Life experience,

Riot Hax.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

• Moles

Folks,  this thread has needed yet another clean-up -- the third since it started.

Enough is enough.   If people can't stop mudslinging and trying to harass other residents, the thread will be locked.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

The Mole is right,  and as someone who has never even explored this region, you guys are painting a picture of somewhere that is eye bleedingly boring and full of Karen's 🤣. My sl is fun, free and goofy. I hope none of that committee see this thread. Can you imagine putting so much effort in with a team of likeminded people to only see your group dragged over the coals?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's too bad so much of the discussion here is missing the point of the OP.

It's not about whether someone gets left out of a coterie. It's certainly not about crapping on people who've put a lot of work into organizing fun events for residents -- no one would or could deny that the BBB does that. And it's not about someone who hasn't done the work wanting to "get in" -- the OP has contributed a huge amount to the community: she has an enormously impressive resume of work done that benefits SL.

The issues being highlighted by the OP here are systemic, and relate to how LL chooses to engage with community leaders -- and who it decides, for its own corporate reasons, to ignore or even hamper.

As much as I hate to suggest there is a sort of FIC dynamic at work here (it's a concept I've ridiculed generally in other contexts), it is absolutely clear to me, after having done a little digging around, that LL has managed all of this rather poorly, and has decided that there is a pretty select group of community leaders, creators, and so forth that it will listen to and employ for projects like this -- that it "favours" in other words.

I am sure that this is not malicious or deliberately nasty: LL is a business, not a democracy, and it chooses, I'm sure, approaches that seem most efficient for its own corporate purposes. But it's also very poor community relations, and it's evidently causing damage.

Kudos, genuinely, to the BBB for all of the great work it does. But the lack of transparency and openness, as well as an apparently very real tendency of LL to not merely ignore, but maybe actually impede "competing" creators and community leaders, is obviously a problem. And it's possible to find that problematic without hating on the BBB or even LL itself.

It's a system that needs to be rethought.

To be clear, I have no horse in this race, as I live on the Mainland rather than Belli. Nor am I in-world friends with anyone here involved. I don't have "insights" that aren't available to anyone who does a bit of reading and listening, and I can't vouch for the veracity of everything that has been said on either side

But this would be a much more productive and fruitful discussion if it stopped focusing on personalities and motives, and started to examine instead exactly how things are being run by LL and the BBB. In other words, how can the system be made better and more inclusive.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 10

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 70 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.