Nobody goes to the Community Exhibition in WelcomeHub.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Oh, we forumites would have them running for the hills in no time

Noob: "Why does SL not have the ability to build in mesh?"

Regular 1: If you hate SL so much, then just leave!

Noob: I don't hate SL, I just wish we could build in mesh

Regular 2: Just do it in blender

Noob: I don't want to learn blender, I just want to build in SL

Regular 3: I agree with R 1, how dare you come in here demanding us to answer then get angry at us when 

Noob: I just was asking a question!?!?

Regular 1: It is how you asked the question!

Regular 2 and 3 thumb up Regular one, post mocking laughs as noob

* Bunch of regulars enter the scene, chaos erupts, and the conversation shifts to gender.

Regular 4: This guy must be an Alt, we are being pranked

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Regular 4: This guy must be an Alt, we are being pranked

Then one of our favorite Moles steps in, grumbles something about staying on topic and the thread is silently locked.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Alternative: NPC Mentor provides link to New User, to a Forum thread from 12 years ago that is no longer applicable.

New user: Ressurrects thread they were sent to

Forum regular: Nooo, don't necro that thread! That information is useless! Ask a new question!

I think this is a highly likely scenario!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Then one of our favorite Moles steps in, grumbles something about staying on topic and the thread is silently locked.

*Everyone that was causing drama, likes and thanks mod*

Regulars get back on topic, and then

*Security Orb enters conversation*

Old rivalries begin to surface, arguments arise

and then

*Mole enters conversation asking everyone to stay on topic*

*People like and thank the mod*

Thread remains quiet for a few hours, then someone bored tries to skate the line, a little innocent jab here, and there, someone responds.

*Thread is now about sock puppet security orb bot transgendered furries using AI alts selling Bud Lite*

*Mole repeatedly bashes head into keyboard, yelling to the gods that never listen to them, locks thread*

The noob was last spotted in SL, being lead to a volcano.. never to be heard from again

Okay, now I have derailed the thread.. 

/me likes mole's last comment

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

I suggest the Lab provide every new resident with a bot that will act as their dance partner, conversationalist, and personal assistant.

14 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I don't think the newbs will like having a npc telling them what to do.  It will just be another thing to ignore while they run to people.

12 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Only the extroverts will run to people. Introverts want a machine giving short to the point answers. Controlled AI can help a lot to give the right information IMHO, but it will not be simple to feed them with the right information and the right information only IMHO.

This AI-based virtual world Companion and confidante would be really challenging to get right, but ultimately vastly rewarding, and not only for Second Life.

Let's take it as a given that it's an opt-in, on-demand thing. When it's in the way, just tell it to scram and it's gone until you ask for it back or it detects and very discretely suggests it might be useful. And assume it has some trustworthy privacy agreement so folks can share any or all of their in-world excursions with the Companion without feeling embarrassed or afraid it'll tattle on them.

Unlike a Mentor, there's nothing to prevent the AI Companion from seeing into the user's viewer, for viewers and users that choose to share, just like sharing a desktop for remote troubleshooting. (I suppose a Mentor could get that, too, but that would be asking a tremendous amount of them.)

Come to think of it, never mind the newbies: I want one of these Companions for myself, preferably one that could suggest a better strategy for managing Inventory and critique my Adult role-play. There's a business here, I'm sure of it!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

This AI-based virtual world Companion and confidante would be really challenging to get right, but ultimately vastly rewarding, and not only for Second Life.

Let's take it as a given that it's an opt-in, on-demand thing. When it's in the way, just tell it to scram and it's gone until you ask for it back or it detects and very discretely suggests it might be useful. And assume it has some trustworthy privacy agreement so folks can share any or all of their in-world excursions with the Companion without feeling embarrassed or afraid it'll tattle on them.

Unlike a Mentor, there's nothing to prevent the AI Companion from seeing into the user's viewer, for viewers and users that choose to share, just like sharing a desktop for remote troubleshooting. (I suppose a Mentor could get that, too, but that would be asking a tremendous amount of them.)

Come to think of it, never mind the newbies: I want one of these Companions for myself, preferably one that could suggest a better strategy for managing Inventory and critique my Adult role-play. There's a business here, I'm sure of it!

Oooo, maybe it can look like a paper clip?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Thankyou Rowan

but I am Inworld

And I think most are not.

So Inworld for a bit - An LM

Ah ok.  I assumed since you asked in the forums, you could have just hit the TP button from the link I posted.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yes I would like one too, preferably one with a selection based menu of options listing the more common problems like:

I'm a cloud?

How do I talk to someone who knows what they are doing?

How do I get sex?

Where can I get a pen1s?

The sort of questions even extroverts would rather ask a machine than another avatar. This is of course based on an SL viewer because if one has FS those questions are easily answered in their Group. This whole Welcome Hub seems to be about nothing more then the Lindens refusing to set up a Group for their Viewer to which New people are automatically enlisted and through which all the noob questions can be answered no matter where they are located. 

Since the Lindens fail to do so then this Ai companion seems like a good alternative even for some of who been around a while and have to use their Viewer for some reason.

• Like 2

I don't want to disparage the Welcome Hub. I think it's a great idea. I think the mentors and Moles working there are doing a fine job too.

However, users won't want to stay there. They shouldn't want to stay there. It's a good way to introduce them to SL, but there's a whole virtual world beyond those 9 regions. 

When they graduate to being able to walk, talk and get dressed, they will still need help out in the big virtual world. Please, forget about AI bots, and just give them an inworld support group for the SL viewer and basic SL stuff. There should be a Mole with the group open at all times, to make sure newbies aren't floundering or getting trolled by other residents. Residents can offer advice as they do now in other groups, but someone needs to keep a watchful eye on them, prevent spam, paste standard replies and links, and boot folks out when necessary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Can we make the new NPC Mentors breedable? 

That's the complete boyfriend/girlfriend experience add-on. The baseline personal assistant is free and limited to G-rated activities. The boyfriend/girlfriend experience requires payment of $9.99 per month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Can we make the new NPC Mentors breedable? 

I mean, if they're cute and stuff?

A breedable means having offspring. So you are not satisfied with one NPC mentor, but want to breed 20 of them. all for you?   I am sure you were not thinking of doing some kind of adult sex act with an NPC - think of what the kids would look like. 

16 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Why does the Hub still have those perpetually empty and unused Motown and Cinema sims as part of the "New Resident" experience?

Cynics might suggest that these regions and the community showcase are just there to provide cover for the true purpose of the welcome area which is to drive new residents towards premium linden homes and gambling with force-attach gambling HUDs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yorkie Bardeen said:

Cynics might suggest that these regions and the community showcase are just there to provide cover for the true purpose of the welcome area which is to drive new residents towards premium linden homes and gambling with force-attach gambling HUDs.

Of course LL wants new residents to become premium ASAP. That is how their bills get payed. The memberships, the Tillia fees and the land business are their main source of income.
No need to be cynical to come to that conclusion. That is one of the facts of Second Life.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Of course LL wants new residents to become premium ASAP. 

I think that's part of the problem. That's not how it's going to work, and never worked.

Who ever signed up for SL thinking, "i go premium as soon i make 3 steps in that place" 
Many people come to that point after a longer, or lóng time, when they have tasted the menu that is offered .. or made it tastefull for themself. If that doesnt happen, they will leave. 

And of course .. your world, your... and free to play ;  that doesn't tell ; sign up asap. 
In my experience SL changed from a place to be, to a place to extend the need to consume as we do RL.

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

I think that's part of the problem. That's not how it's going to work, and never worked.

Who ever signed up for SL thinking, "i go premium as soon i make 3 steps in that place" 
Many people come to that point after a longer, or lóng time, when they have tasted the menu that is offered .. or made it tastefull for themself. If that doesnt happen, they will leave. 

And of course .. your world, your... and free to play ;  that doesn't tell ; sign up asap. 
In my experience SL changed from a place to be, to a place to extend the need to consume as we do RL.

All true, but before they start thinking about one of the memberships, the potential new residents first have to know that these memberships even exist, don't they?
The dealer shows you their cars in the hope you will buy one of them later. That kind of idea is behind it, I guess.

And without consuming, no SL. The bills have to be payed somehow.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Well, I would have stopped "being" here long ago if it wasn't for all of the stuff to consume :p...... so...

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.