why having or beeing an alt is consider bad?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 74 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

31 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

I could have just kept quite like everyone else and pretended to be a noob.

Maybe some of us "like" your main.

Why don't you consider abandoning this Alt, and just come back as your main?

Nobody will remember Midnoot in a few days!

50 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

I could have just kept quite like everyone else and pretended to be a noob.

That wouldn't have worked.

You used way to many "Captain Oldbie Ride Again!" expressions in your first couple of posts.

You might as well have had a "bumper sticker" in your profile saying "my other account is an Oldbie".

21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe some of us "like" your main.

Hahahahahahahaha!

No.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

That we know of...

naw, I steer clear of forumites when I see them in world. They usually don't talk much anyway. Just stand around, looking for something to post about. You know, looking for content. Almost like youtubers with their gopro stick.

Edited by Midnoot
  • Haha 3

When it was economical to do so, and I was very active in themed RP sims, I'd create an alt just for that sim.

For a while, I mained an alt and bounced back and forth. The good friends I'd friend on both, but over time I just went back to Zall.

My friends list of folks I actually interact with is pretty small these days anyway.

• Like 2

My alt Nel originally started as a challenge to make a decent account from scratch with zero money, just freebies. There's even a thread in the forum about it somewhere, around four or five years ago.  Yeah, no. That lasted about a month 😆.

These days Nel is used almost solely for playing a particular inworld game. My main (this account) has a long friendslist and it's pretty much impossible to play that game whilst I'm being distracted by IMs. So when I want to play, I bring out Nel. The only friend on their friendlist is my partner.

I have on occasion introduced Nel to some of my friends. We share the same (display) last name and Nel has me in their picks. But I don't friend other people on Nel; if someone asks to friend them, I direct them to send a request to me instead. Occasionally they do but usually they don't bother.

• Like 3

An LL staff told me once a long time ago that loaning out alts is prohibited even for short time.  I do not see anything about alts in the Terms of Service.  I have two alts now only for creator and/or business purposes.  I loaned them out to someone for short-term and they hijacked my two alts.  Took all my info off account, put their info, even email, etc. everything.  changed passwords on me and said "I'm keeping these alts.  You are not getting them back."  I can't get into either account now.  When I do I plan to just close them both.  Yes  I know it was stupid, believe me I know.  I would love some feedback without judgment.  Thank you.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Valium Lavender said:

An LL staff told me once a long time ago that loaning out alts is prohibited even for short time.  I do not see anything about alts in the Terms of Service.  I have two alts now only for creator and/or business purposes.  I loaned them out to someone for short-term and they hijacked my two alts.  Took all my info off account, put their info, even email, etc. everything.  changed passwords on me and said "I'm keeping these alts.  You are not getting them back."  I can't get into either account now.  When I do I plan to just close them both.  Yes  I know it was stupid, believe me I know.  I would love some feedback without judgment.  Thank you.

Section 4.1 of the ToS...

You may not sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party (including, for the avoidance of doubt, permitting another individual to access your Account) without the prior written consent of Linden Lab. Linden Lab reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to manage and control the number of Accounts that you may establish and maintain.

Alts are still considered YOUR account.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for quoting that, Rowan, I was going to look it up later, about something unrelated. You saved me some scrolling.

And on the alt thing in general, I know not everyone is this way, but I always sort of have a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt, and treat every account I meet as its own person, even when I know they're a friend's alt. I might slip now and then, but that's usually just mentioning someone by their main's and their alt's names as one person, and only to people who also know they're both on the same typist.

My reasoning is pretty simple. Art is self-expression. Self expression is art. I'm an artist. So is everyone I meet inworld, they just may or may not be aware of it, or have the same tastes or definition for art.

When I read a novel, I don't sit there and remind myself that all of the characters are fictional aspects of the writer. I read the story and enjoy it for what it is. It's art.

If I see a puppet show, I don't care whose hands are up the puppets. I care about how the characters interact, and the story they're telling.

On a deep, fundamental level, we are all the sock puppet.

We're all characters, even those of us who think otherwise.

When I was little, nobody liked me because all I did was point at all the strings and tell everyone that everything on TV was fake, and turn the brightness up on the TV and look at the people dressed in black, making the chairs and people dance around in black-art puppet shows.

I complained when loud explosions happened in space movies. Because space.

I complained about Battlestar Galactica only using two explosion clips, and just flipping the sideways explosion so they had a third explosion.

Nobody liked it when I did any of it.

Now I'm big, and while I could pick apart every single thing anyone does or says anywhere, I could kinda care less; I put away my most childish things.

And all of those people who hated how I was before, well, it seems to be the norm now, and they all do it. I've actually been looked down on for NOT being that person and trying to ruin the movie for others.

I don't care who any of you are behind it all. I don't even care who any of you think you really are. Doesn't mean I don't care about you yourself, I just don't care if that other guy over there is you also. I want to see what you can do with it, with whatever character you've invented to be that day.

I love a good story. I love a good movie. I love good acting and storytelling.

Just don't play a character that likes to shove me off of tall objects when I'm working on them, and we're prolly just fine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Valium Lavender said:

thank you very much for giving me the location in the TOS to find it.  Appreciate it Rowan♥

Rowan Knows!®

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I just don't want to get in trouble with LL or suspended.  This guy is crazy I think and yes I know I did wrong by loaning them out but i thought was just for a week or so in the beginning.  The only thing left for me to do in order to get the alts back is tell LL so they can retrieve the accounts and close them.  I don't know what to do.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Valium Lavender said:

I just don't want to get in trouble with LL or suspended.  This guy is crazy I think and yes I know I did wrong by loaning them out but i thought was just for a week or so in the beginning.  The only thing left for me to do in order to get the alts back is tell LL so they can retrieve the accounts and close them.  I don't know what to do.

I don't think that such a good idea considering the Lab at its sole discretion could ban you entirely for the infraction.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

[snip]

My reasoning is pretty simple. Art is self-expression. Self expression is art. I'm an artist. So is everyone I meet inworld, they just may or may not be aware of it, or have the same tastes or definition for art.

When I read a novel, I don't sit there and remind myself that all of the characters are fictional aspects of the writer. I read the story and enjoy it for what it is. It's art.

If I see a puppet show, I don't care whose hands are up the puppets. I care about how the characters interact, and the story they're telling.

On a deep, fundamental level, we are all the sock puppet.

We're all characters, even those of us who think otherwise.

[snip]

I don't care who any of you are behind it all. I don't even care who any of you think you really are. Doesn't mean I don't care about you yourself, I just don't care if that other guy over there is you also. I want to see what you can do with it, with whatever character you've invented to be that day.

^ I love this explanation of SL.^

We're expressing ourselves artistically. We don't have to recreate the RL version of ourselves that we show in physical reality, at work or to our friends or families. This doesn't mean we're being fake of deceptive, any more than a writer creating a story is fake or deceptive. Our avatars are expressions of our Self beyond how we might normally be perceived in the physical world, but they are still part of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I don't think that such a good idea considering the Lab at its sole discretion could ban you entirely for the infraction.

They could, but I think they probably wouldn't. They would not help you get your alt accounts back, but they might appreciate you telling them that someone else has control of those accounts now. Also, if those other people do anything that breaks the TOS with those accounts, you wouldn't want to be penalized yourself.

Could you say your accounts were stolen or hacked? If there was communication between you and those other people, that could prove that you gave away your password consentually, so I don't advise lying about that. 

9 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I want a tee shirt with that on it.

See, Rowan? People want them. Don't worry, you'll get a fair cut.

Now I just need every devkit, so I can make them for everyone.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

I'm late to the thread, but I did want to announce that I only play myself. So, I am me, and I am we, and we is me. 

We were born long ago to play TE. Now most of us own Linden homes and mainland. 

It is very easy to distinguish us. I look good. They don't. In fact, every time I see an OLD avatar sporting outdated skin and clothes, I think, "Aha! ALT!" 😸

• Haha 1

Some people will befriend the same person without telling them..or stalking.    Others see it as an insult or that you are having other relationships on the side when you are with them.  I have a dozen and I don't usually tell anyone that.  Maybe two of them to my partner.  

On 3/8/2024 at 12:13 PM, usedcars said:

Some people will befriend the same person without telling them..or stalking.    Others see it as an insult or that you are having other relationships on the side when you are with them.  I have a dozen and I don't usually tell anyone that.  Maybe two of them to my partner.  

This is exactly it.  The use of alts to befriend the same person multiple times is rampant in SL, and it is difficult for the average person to detect unless they have highly developed spidey senses from being on SL for way too long. Therefore, everyone will assume any new face is actually an alt just to be on the safe side. They don't have a problem with alts themselves, they have a problem with deception.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 74 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.