Stupid Belli question(s)?

Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A recent thread solicits resident questions to be asked of Patch and the Moles at Belli's fifth anniversary.

In another thread I started wondering how much is known (publicly) about which Bellisseria styles are most popular and, flip side, which offer the most choices for swapping. Naturally, improbable steam-powered contraptions for collecting such data came to mind—or I could just ask Patch at the anniversary.

But why waste a question if forums folks already know the answer? Is there somewhere Belli vacancy rates are already posted?*

And does anybody have other questions they'd like to try out here, before submitting them for the anniversary?

*I could swear I saw some overview of this style-popularity data at some point, perhaps not officially. Or maybe I just imagined it. FWIW, my extremely preliminary "sampling"—really just a side-effect of script testing—suggests 512-sized parcel styles may be less popular, but that measurement has a margin of error pretty close to 100%.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The above is for swapping within a theme to a specific home - if swapping to a new home I think anyone can now see the availabilities regardless of account status? There are tons of empty homes in most themes to swap to atm! For example at this minute there is 1 ranch home vs 2306 fantasy ones 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Chloe Bunny said:

Top Linden Home Themes 

1. Houseboat
  2. Log Home
  3. Traditional
  4. Victorian
  5. Stilt over Land

As came out in the 2023 review. 

Also availability of each theme shows up on the land selection pages .

I find this surprising, because if "popularity" here means "total # homes occupied" and not "% fully occupied", you would think there are fewer total existing Houseboats than the others (since they are on water / slips, etc.)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Chloe Bunny said:

Top Linden Home Themes 

1. Houseboat
  2. Log Home
  3. Traditional
  4. Victorian
  5. Stilt over Land

As came out in the 2023 review. 

Also availability of each theme shows up on the land selection pages .

Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Well, it would be nice to know the denominator, too, as @Love Zhaoying suggests, to get that "% occupied" metric, but this is  great. It also helps to know it came out in the 2023 review so I didn't completely imagine reading it.

I somehow didn't recognize the styles were even clickable on the page showing the assigned Linden Home for signed-in Belli-owners (obviously not a player in Game of Homes!), but once you mentioned the land selection pages I sic'd a homeless Premium alt on the case and it became obvious—and yeah, in fact that's all accessible without even logging in.

Thanks again!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I find this surprising, because if "popularity" here means "total # homes occupied" and not "% fully occupied", you would think there are fewer total existing Houseboats than the others (since they are on water / slips, etc.)

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Well, it would be nice to know the denominator, too, as @Love Zhaoying suggests, to get that "% occupied" metric, but this is  great.

Or did they simply list the home types in order of what was most chosen, even if immediately given up.  Even if people are constantly grabbing Houseboats, but giving them up due to location, does that really make Houseboats more popular than, say Stilts that nobody wants to ever give up?

Say I have 100 of each and at the beginning of the time period all 100 are occupied.  Then throughout the time period the Houseboats are churning (getting selected and released), lots and lots, does that make them more popular than the Stilts that nobody ever leaves? 

So without knowing the definition of "most popular" in that 2023 review, we don't really have the complete picture.  In my mind, most popular would be based on percentage of occupation, but also need to be weighed against total numbers created within themes.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

So without knowing the definition of "most popular" in that 2023 review, we don't really have the complete picture.  In my mind, most popular would be based on percentage of occupation, but also need to be weighed against total numbers created within themes.

Yep, exactly!

Adding: Did anyone else notice those "most popular" homes listed sound like the oldest Belli home styles (AFAIK)?   To me, that means either "sounds like old information" or, "the most of those were built".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

But why waste a question if forums folks already know the answer?

Well, indeed.  I, too, am puzzled as to how LL came up with their "Top Themes".  So, as a sometime GOH player and longtime GOH observer, let me offer my completely subjective take on the most popular themes.  Oh, and to answer your supposition, 512 parcels are vastly less popular than 1024s.  Many of the best sited parcels in the Newbrooke theme are 512s, and that seems to only have had a small mitigating effect.

In order of (subjective) popularity, at this moment:

1. New themes,  Mediterranean and Ranch (both 2048).  Ranch has surprised me with the longevity of its appeal.  LL is being very cautious, building more of both themes only when they're sold out  - they clearly don't want to end up with a large number of unclaimed PP homes. The demand for Mediterranean homes may be inflated at the moment for two reasons:
    1.  The Mediterranean release is less than a month old.  Personally, I'll be downgrading 2 alts who have Med parcels in the next few days.  However, I didn't notice a bump in Ranch availability 1 month after their release.
    2.  There is no 3-month PP membership (Grrrr!)
  2. Stilts-on-Pier and Stilts-on-Water.  A small percentage of the 'piers' are more like boardwalks which form a coastline to a land mass.  Note that LL is building a large number of Stilts for future release.
  3. Houseboats.  LL has released a huge number of these, and most are occupied!  The dream of living on water is STRONG.  LL has a number of these built and not yet released, as well.
  4. Stilts-on-Land WITH ANCHORAGE.  If LL came up with their list by counting the number of times a given theme is CLAIMED, that might account for their putting stilts-on-land high on their list.  Because you go through a LOT of landlocked Stilts-on-Land when you're searching for one whose back decks are over water!  Landlocked stilts account for most available Stilts-on-Land.
  5. Victorian.
  6. Traditional.  This theme has a lot of disadvantages (small homes, no soundscape, many boring parcels hemmed in with hedges), and one HUGE advantage: to whit:  it was completely built out by hand, no tiles used except for the 9-region "clumps", and the neighborhoods are brimming with unique little design elements.  
  7. Log Home.  Although slightly overbuilt, this theme has surprisingly high occupancy.  Personally, I found the "tiles" the moles used to build out this theme VERY charming - wonderful homes nestled in a flowery forest landscape. Plus, volcanoes!  And lots of custom-built coastline along both lakes and seas!  And a wonderful rail line that is the quickest way to traverse the continent!  What's not to love?
  8. Newbrooke.  Even though these are all Container Homes, they are moderately popular, because they beg to be decorated in contemporary and/or midcentury modes.  If LL had chosen a more imaginative version of "contemporary" home, I think it would have been wildly popular.   I love the neighborhood designs.   I think, before choosing a theme, LL should always complete this sentence: "I've always wanted to live in a ...." ... container home?  Not really.
  9. Sakura.  For my money, the most beautiful of all the themes, and a thoughtful variety of homes.  All you people not flocking to Sakura, have your mental health checked 🙃
  10. Fantasy.  It hurts my heart that this theme isn't more popular, but ... it isn't.  
  11. Campers.  I found mine charming ... for a while.
  12. Chalet.  Overbuilt, and land page often clogged with undesirable chalets while lovely ones languish.
2 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I am amazed at how the lindens keep releasing Meds and Ranches, and they keep selling out. Does anyone know to date how many Med regions have been released (and sold out) and how many residential ranch regions have been released?

I'm amazed too. But why not just count them on the map?  It's not hard to do - the subcontinents are compact!

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I went back to premium when I realized I could have a treehouse. I always wanted the treehouse that LAQ had for sale for a long time (not that I ever had the land for it) so this kind of fulfills a dream. Plus it's a treehouse!!  And I scored a plot with a tiny corner of water so it's really charming.

My biggest regret in SL is that I had a trad home but on an alt account. At the time I had 2 premium accounts (I was wild with money at the time) but I had to drop one. I had hoped I could abandon my home and then pick it up on this account. But something happened (I can't remember what) but the land wasn't showing as abandoned and it took several days for it to get resolved and by the time it happened someone had snapped it up. But it was a trad home on the beach. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

7 minutes ago, MillyWH said:

I had hoped I could abandon my home and then pick it up on this account.

this would be a good question to ask. Will it ever be possible for us to transfer a Home (for L$0) to another account ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elleevelyn said:

this would be a good question to ask. Will it ever be possible for us to transfer a Home (for L$0) to another account ?

By not allowing it, LL is maybe hoping that we'll keep extra Premium accounts.  The only real reason that we would want to do the transfer is likely so that we can downgrade the account that is giving up the home.  

If we could prove to LL that we own both accounts (must prove this to ensure no direct giving of spots to other accounts) and are willing to pay a transfer fee, then it really, really would be nice if LL would give us this option.  Maybe even only allow it for Premium Plus, which means that account getting the property would either have to already be Premium Plus or at minimum pay for a monthly Premium Plus, in addition to a transfer fee.  

@Patch Linden- Hint, hint.  By charging a Transfer Fee and only allowing a Premium Plus account to get the property, LL might make some extra L$ - as opposed to those of us that simply gave up great locations because financially we really needed to drop a Premium or two.

It's the little perks like this that could make Premium Plus more appealing to some.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, elleevelyn said:

I (and others whom I know) have often done this.  But, as happened to Milly, you MUST be prepared to lose it.

Currently, to me it actually seems easier to do this than it used to be.  It used to seem like there had to be at least two homes of a given theme available for them to show up on the land page.  So, to trade a houseboat (for instance) between alts, you (or you and a friend) had to have 2 HBs to toss.  Then you would refresh like mad and pick up the HB you wanted, and the spare.  HOWEVER, sometimes one HB was already waiting for release, and it would get in the way, and you might miss the one you wanted.

NOW, it seems to me that, after you release a parcel, it is almost always, briefly, the next one offered on the land page.  Even if the queue has lots of homes in it, I've succeeded in trading a parcel to an alt. After a few minutes, it seems to disappear into the depths with other homes.  Of course, your chance of re-catching the one you really want is better if, as Chloe says, there are very few homes of that theme available.

It's all part of the GAME of homes.  Chasing particular regions or homes, trading them between alts or to friends ... all a game, sometimes you win, occasionally you lose.  If you lose, maybe you'll decide to go with a different home that you DID catch - sometimes you unexpectedly find that the home you caught is more fun than the home you were chasing!  

I've spent much time since 2019 sitting out the GOH ... sometimes for budgetary reasons, sometimes just happy enough with what I have, often too busy in RL.  But, so far, I eventually always find that I miss hopping, and trading, and exploring through the GOH.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 3

• Moles
6 hours ago, elleevelyn said:

Most likely no. Because then it becomes a commodity capable of being bought and sold like mainland. The likely result of which is prime locations will end up being owned by accounts just sitting on them in the hopes of making a deal to transfer homes from one person to another for a large L$ exchange behind the scenes.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

15 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Many of the best sited parcels in the Newbrooke theme are 512s

Same with the Sakura theme. Alot of 512s are at beautiful locations.

Just like you, I love the Sakura theme. Especially the community region Shobu is gorgeous. Anyone who hasn't visited it yet should go take a look.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

in the hopes of making a deal to transfer homes from one person to another for a large L$ exchange behind the scenes.

If people ask to do this today, then there is not actually a transfer.  So..

7 hours ago, Chloe Bunny said:

Happened to me very early on in Bellisseria. I said "no thanks!" to their offer (just for the record!) 

Did they try to convince you there would be a "transfer"? Because there wouldn't actually.

15 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

Most likely no. Because then it becomes a commodity capable of being bought and sold like mainland. The likely result of which is prime locations will end up being owned by accounts just sitting on them in the hopes of making a deal to transfer homes from one person to another for a large L$ exchange behind the scenes.

LL can verify if the accounts involved are owned by the same person - said person can prove it if not already obvious via payment info and/or email address.  

Make it a P+ option, plus a transfer fee, and only if the involving accounts are proven to be owned by the same person. 

Yeah, I know, more work for Customer Support, but probably not much more in the grand scheme of things.  I don't know if it would be possible for someone to still figure out how to scam the system.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

LL can verify if the accounts involved are owned by the same person - said person can prove it if not already obvious via payment info and/or email address.  

Make it a P+ option, plus a transfer fee, and only if the involving accounts are proven to be owned by the same person. 

Yeah, I know, more work for Customer Support, but probably not much more in the grand scheme of things.  I don't know if it would be possible for someone to still figure out how to scam the system.

If an alt holds the better location, it is also possible to downgrade the other account and keep using the alt's place, no?

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

If an alt holds the better location, it is also possible to downgrade the other account and keep using the alt's place, no?

Great idea, except the main account would not have the rest of the Premium benefits, such as more groups. That's why people want to switch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

is a problem with this which I think on reflection, Linden would not want to open the door too

sometimes people in their desire to obtain/own something they really really want, expose themselves in ways that  would otherwise be unfathomable to them. Like give me your payment info and email address and I will give you this home you really really want. Really really wanting person logs in next day to their payment provider and zero money

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.