Driving looking for Christmas Lights?

Benson Gravois

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Benson Gravois said:

Does anyone have any good LMs for towns or cities where one can drive around in their SL vehicle with friends and look at the Christmas lights? A favorite activity of mine growing up?

The thought of looking at Christmas lights while I'm driving in SL cracks me up.   My SL driving is bad enough that I wouldn't dream of taking my eyes off the road to look at anything.

🤣

Good luck in your search though

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Benson Gravois said:

Does anyone have any good LMs for towns or cities where one can drive around in their SL vehicle with friends and look at the Christmas lights? A favorite activity of mine growing up?

You might have better luck searching for Christmas sims, I'm sure they will have plenty of decorations up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The thought of looking at Christmas lights while I'm driving in SL cracks me up.   My SL driving is bad enough that I wouldn't dream of taking my eyes off the road to look at anything.

🤣

No better view of the lights than right in the middle of them because you just crashed into the front of the house.

• Haha 2

The Snowlands in Sansara feels a lot more Christmas-y than anything in Belli just from being covered in snow, and a lot of builds there are Christmas inspired so there's no shortage of bright, coloured lights and stuff. It's also a whole lot nicer to navigate, less laggy and the road network isn't a suburban maze. Also stuff you can actually stop and do, like skiing or ice skating, there's lots of winter sport stuffs to play with. Also plenty of GTFO hubs around, which can be a very nice way to explore places.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

🤣

Good luck in your search though

The thought cracks me up, too, but more because the last few years, loading is so slow for me that looking at something is already a challenge just walking or standing 😅

I like the idea, though!

The other day, in RL, I was walking throughy my city's pedestrian area, looking up at the really wonderful Christmas lights that are different per street here, and all "themed" according to the street name, like stars for the "Star Street", etc., trying to look up most of the time, while not bumping into people. I had forgotten that it was the one Advent Sunday were the shops were open in the afternoon/evening, so it was a bit of a challenge, almost like things to load quickly enough to admire them while walking in SL 😂

Edited by InnerCity Elf
clarified "RL" :)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd imagine Belli would be.the place to go.  HUGE neighborhood and the chances of.people having lights up would seem better.than a random drive across regular mainland.

I have a Newbrooke house at the moment.
Christmas is not really a thing in the sims surrounding the place. At least certainly not on the outside.

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I have a Newbrooke house at the moment.
Christmas is not really a thing in the sims surrounding the place. At least certainly not on the outside.

Of all the places in SL, I would have thought it would be the best place for Christmas lights.   Kind of sad that it's not.  😕

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Of all the places in SL, I would have thought it would be the best place for Christmas lights.   Kind of sad that it's not.  😕

I think many people forget that only about 30% of SecondLifers are Muricans, with that whole Murican "Cause blackouts in the poor part of town with your 5 GigaWatts worth of neon reindeer roof and yard ornaments" thing going on.

Where I live, about the only visible sign of the Gorging Season in residential areas is the hint of a tree with fairy lights through the windows in daytime, and the dead tree in the trash come NYE.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I think many people forget that only about 30% of SecondLifers are Muricans, with that whole Murican "Cause blackouts in the poor part of town with your 5 GigaWatts worth of neon reindeer roof and yard ornaments" thing going on.

These days, most "new" house lights are LED or low wattage, not the "old style screw-in bulbs" made fun of in the "Christmas Vacation" movie.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

These days, most "new" house lights are LED or low wattage, not the "old style screw-in bulbs" made fun of in the "Christmas Vacation" movie.

And foreigners from that You-Rope place on the right hand side of the Atlantic, would know this how exactly? They don't have those roof/yaard decorations for the most part.

Hahahaa Ho Ho Ho.

• Like 1

In other news: I just checked the Belli region I live in at the moment: Zero Christmas on the outside and zero Christmas on the inside, at least at ground level.
That is not really worth to fire up a car and drive around I guess.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Where I live, about the only visible sign of the Gorging Season in residential areas is the hint of a tree with fairy lights through the windows in daytime, and the dead tree in the trash come NYE.

Here we've of course been tainted by 'Murrican culture to some extent, going into the cities there'll be coloured lights and plastic Coca Cola Santa trash all over (the nearest supermarket looks decked out like a red light district). But the more traditional stuff is also present, mostly pine branches in front of the doors (to clean the snow off your shoes before you go inside), wreaths on the doors and maybe some garlands, advent stars and/or advent wreaths, and/or orange pomanders in the windows. It also does get terribly dark here, so when there's good snow (like now) a lot of people (particularly those with children in their homes) have snowball lanterns by their driveways or beside their doors, or along the paths in their gardens. I think most Swedes still prefer just 'plain' yellow lights though, feels a lot warmer and cosier than having a disco setup in the garden.

Advent-kv%C3%91ll.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think you could hit parts of Bellisseria and find this effect you are looking for of the decorated houses, as they have in Queens, New York or Pick a Suburbia in the US, where there is always some family every year who spends a fortune to put like all the reindeer, and lights, and Santa and a manger and the whole nine yards, and everyone drives by to gawk. Surely there is That Guy in SL! But where? lol

And the answer is: look at the BBB web site which has a blog called Parade of Homes with the "House Beautifuls". Now, where is this blog. Naturally I can't find it now but ask around.

The Lindens have a Winter Wonderland set of sims with stuff showing off the new PBR effect which isn't quite what you mean but you could probably enjoy some of it. Look on their blogs.

I think if you go to Robin Loop, which starts around the Electra and Juanita sims, you would have a nice drive, see some fun little stores and cafes and see some of that effect -- I've seen it driving through there. But of course, it's not concentrated as it would be in RL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 130 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.