What Would You Like to Remove From Second Life Permanently?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Floryn Tordenskjold said:

The "look" of banlines is objectionable to so many; perhaps it's the "look" of banlines that I could do away with if I had my choice. 

I would change how they look -- maybe offering parcel owners the ability to choose different looks of what bans ya.  Offering an invisible option; a fully opaque option; a single red band along the ground - or - water - level of the parcel; snow falling; water splashing; rain falling; something just to address the "how they look" complaint and actually make them more desirable to use and less objectionable at ground level.

I think someone had posted before that you CAN change the texture of the banlines in a folder somewhere.  I think it was @Wulfie Reanimator?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Santeria and Voodoo are different religions that both derive from African roots.

Voodoo is also a brand name in Second Life. I think they make sploders and other games.

We've had people of Santeria / Voodoo in my family through marriage and now the 'nieces / nephews' for just shy of 30 years now - the two words are essentially synonyms, especially in the modern era where there is plenty of cultural cross-over.

Popular dialogue likes to paint Voodoo as some 'evil monster thing' but fails to notice Santeria is the same thing stated in a different language. Public intention wise it's essentially like calling Romani people by a word beginning with the letter 'G' that is no longer used in popular discourse but was very common only a few years ago - except that people who practice Voodoo / Santeria don't see either word as a slander - but people calling them by these terms often do.

(Voodoo gets carted as a bogeyman term all the time... whereas I find very few people outside of Latin America have heard the term Santeria. But the practitioners I know use them interchangeably.)

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

One thing I'd like to see disappear from SL is all the ignorant, demeaning, cringy representations of people of color: Native Americans, natives of South American, natives of island nations, Africans, African Americans, Asians, and any group that's not white. This includes so-called "witch doctors" and most "native" characters. 

Yes.

From Indigenous folks used in 'Gorean like proxy' venues, to all the "Interracial" sex venues to assorted other forms of exoticism / otherizing.

SL is extremely progressive when it comes to LGBTQ issues (as long as those LGBTQ folks are white), but extremely regressive when it comes to non-Caucasians; despite being an international platform. In this way is strongly reveals it's California roots...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

But, but, but ... What about those of us who sell only one of an item on purpose like an original piece of art ...

I think that someone who wants to buy art will know that some artists sell no copy. Then one simply doesn't check that box for the search.
It has to be checked again with every new search, so it is never default.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was thinking that too, although it will only change for "you" AFAIK.

Right.  I have them off but if I were to have them on, instead of seeing the ugly yellow, I could switch it to something less obnoxious.  As was mentioned, it's more about how they ugly-up an area TO YOU.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I think someone had posted before that you CAN change the texture of the banlines in a folder somewhere.  I think it was @Wulfie Reanimator?

I don't recall, but I checked anyway and yup, the banline texture depends on your viewer skin.

For example:
viewer/skins/default/textures/world/NoEntryLines.png
viewer/skins/starlight/themes/silver_pink/NoEntryLines.png

NoEntryLines.png.bc119449df40c67d82792b501fb28798.pngNoEntryLines.png.4b47cb0dcae9bf7655c7c2bf0a91b319.png

You can replace the texture with whatever image you want, and it'll be tiled across the parcel boundaries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Certain "light" shows and other flashing stuff that fills the screen that induce seizures. Some use a type of flashing lights that can't be turned off using the particles slider.

Also add talking tummies and prim babies that scream.  I used to log in world to get away from that crap.

And those laggy-*** Lindo campers and HUDS that slows the region real bad.

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Forgot to add..
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

One thing I'd like to see disappear from SL is all the ignorant, demeaning, cringy representations of people of color: Native Americans, natives of South American, natives of island nations, Africans, African Americans, Asians, and any group that's not white. This includes so-called "witch doctors" and most "native" characters

Isn't this contradicting the vision of SL: Be what you wanna be in SL, as long it's within the rules. 

4 hours ago, gwynchisholm said:

Resize scripts instead of just being able to right click > edit > stretch. Those same items usually can’t be moved either. I kinda get why, but come on man, you’re really gonna sell me a scarf that I can never make fit right because it’s always ever so slightly out of place and I have to rely on your script to make it somewhat work?

Adding to that, hair sets with resizable add-on bangs. Never get those right and wouldn't it be easier to include them directly in the hair set.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I was asked a while ago by someone why I didn't put a resize script in the pics I sell.

I can sort of see the point for people who don't know how to resize a multi-prim / mesh object using the edit tools (and there are apparently a surprisingly large number of those). And if I did, and made the pics no mod, I could make them transfer instead, I guess, which is good. But they're really limiting, in combination with no mod perms.

I think I'm going to start including a notecard that explains how to edit them using the proper tools.

In addition to the notecard, you could include both a mod version and a no-mod with resize script version. Let the buyer decide which version they want to rez out.

• Like 3

Misrepresentation of mercandize in SL, on the Marketplace, in stores and so on. With that I mean overly altering the pictures in whatever external software other then the viewer that it no longer looks like the item that you can get in world, or pictures of items that are straight from blender or any other  software they use to make their products. Or excluding items that are in the demo, but not in the final sale.

We call that, and it's a punishable offense in my country, false advertisement or misleading information.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Misrepresentation of mercandize in SL, on the Marketplace, in stores and so on. With that I mean overly altering the pictures in whatever external software other then the viewer that it no longer looks like the item that you can get in world, or pictures of items that are straight from blender or any other  software they use to make their products. Or excluding items that are in the demo, but not in the final sale.

We call that, and it's a punishable offense in my country, false advertisement or misleading information.

Yes! I've been skin shopping recently and this was a big issue for me. Trying on the skin and shape and being like, wtf is this? I'm still wearing my old shape

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

I'm okay with my favourite housing designer (Scarlet Creative) noting very clearly in her ads that the furniture, decor, plants etc are not part of the house sale, but yes, I find with clothing and skins there's a ton of Photoshopping done and that really is annoying. As someone who has been using Adobe products since they were in beta (yes, I am old) I'd like to say to creators ... stop it, or make it very clear an image has been manipulated.

• Like 6

They can find a program to ban words from spam scam asking for money the new account should go through passed preview. New Accounts even going to locations asking for money even in local for private the words banned can not be used. Scam links that could be banned once they post know one see's only a sensor  link  go  SL Tech team they can shut down the account right away.  Marketplace comments also could go through passed preview that designer could be able to set up to get text message to help the customer with the product some don't read the fine print or want to use a demo sometimes people wanna be nasty it needs to be a two way street so the designer and customer can agree on making it work they can fix it send a new one sometimes glitches happen but some people get angry over nothing this could be handled better.  All designs should go through passed peview test. Smoking/Some Guns products should be set to mature and adult. 

Edited by ShaydraPromise
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I'm okay with my favourite housing designer (Scarlet Creative) noting very clearly in her ads that the furniture, decor, plants etc are not part of the house sale, but yes, I find with clothing and skins there's a ton of Photoshopping done and that really is annoying. As someone who has been using Adobe products since they were in beta (yes, I am old) I'd like to say to creators ... stop it, or make it very clear an image has been manipulated.

I love how Scarlet does her inworld store -- she displays her homes with the furniture arranged inside them, but at the sales sign makes it clear the furniture is not included . And the furniture pack is available near that same sign to purchase as an extra. I just purchased one of her boat houses and the furniture to accompany it.

But to your point, it's difficult (sometimes) to know where to draw the line in the alteration of an items presentation, or even what's acceptable in terms of the background you place the item in. I had one woman upset that a tree she purchased didn't look like my photo of it, and all I'd done was place the fantasy tree in a fantasy environment when I took the photo.

She realized her mistake in thinking, but still felt the need to message me and complain..lol. The importance of background in how it shapes foreground is a learning experience in design, isn't it?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I had one woman upset that a tree she purchased didn't look like my photo of it, and all I'd done was place the fantasy tree in a fantasy environment when I took the photo.

She realized her mistake in thinking, but still felt the need to message me and complain..lol. The importance of background in how it shapes foreground is a learning experience in design, isn't it?

So you'd remove permanently..what?

• Like 2

Things to remove from SSL :

People who flunked out of the evening classes at the local library, in "Amateur Hobbyist Shopping Mall Psychology 101".

You know the ones who claim that if you make negative comments about some defective thing, it's because "you hate your self", and NOT because the thing is defective.

Or if you don't want people pestering you when you are on your build platform , it's because "you want to have power over others", and not because you're busy doing your own thing.

Or when they demand that some perfectly ordinary and well liked thing should be banned, and you DARE to disagree with them, it's because "your mother didn't hug you enough as a child", and NOT because they are talking sh*te out of their ass.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Things to remove from SSL :

People who flunked out of the evening classes at the local library, in "Amateur Hobbyist Shopping Mall Psychology 101".

You know the ones who claim that if you make negative comments about some defective thing, it's because "you hate your self", and NOT because the thing is defective.

Or if you don't want people pestering you when you are on your build platform , it's because "you want to have power over others", and not because you're busy doing your own thing.

Or when they demand that some perfectly ordinary and well liked thing should be banned, and you DARE to disagree with them, it's because "your mother didn't hug you enough as a child", and NOT because they are talking sh*te out of their ass.

Add to that people who constantly complain about someone who psychoanalyzes people when they psychoanalyze others constantly themselves...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I love how Scarlet does her inworld store -- she displays her homes with the furniture arranged inside them, but at the sales sign makes it clear the furniture is not included . And the furniture pack is available near that same sign to purchase as an extra. I just purchased one of her boat houses and the furniture to accompany it.

But to your point, it's difficult (sometimes) to know where to draw the line in the alteration of an items presentation, or even what's acceptable in terms of the background you place the item in. I had one woman upset that a tree she purchased didn't look like my photo of it, and all I'd done was place the fantasy tree in a fantasy environment when I took the photo.

I know several stores which using this tactic of promoting their gear. It's easy to recognize it, even for the untrained eye if extra filters are used or if it's a picture straight out of the software they use to create their items.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

I know several stores which using this tactic of promoting their gear. It's easy to recognize it, even for the untrained eye if extra filters are used or if it's a picture straight out of the software they use to create their items.

I've never done that...never used a photo as a backdrop behind a created object in Blender for a display. That does seem to cross a line in terms of misrepresentation.  But what if I used a photo I took inworld as a backdrop in Blender?  That might be okay. I'll have to consider this more as I make displays for items created in Blender. This would surely make it easier (to use a backdrop in Blender of a photo taken inworld) vs rezzing the item inworld and taking the photo there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.