Oh, is this true? Catwa going EVO X.

Dorientje Woller

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

Any word on if they're going to update their existing heads to the EvoX or just making new ones?

I think they  are making just new ones. Some of the older range might no longer possible to update and the latest or more recent heads may take too long to update. Remember when they switched to HDPro that they didn't updated the previous line too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Remapping the UV of an existing model to another existing model is significantly less work than making a brand new head, though.

Doing it correctly from the first time is another discussion. It took Maximillian of LOGO a 14 days to update the first head to EVO X. Now it's quicker because he has the hang of it and figured out an automated process to do so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/28/2023 at 5:02 AM, Arwyn Quandry said:

Any word on if they're going to update their existing heads to the EvoX or just making new ones?

That is what I now wondered instantly, as well as I was just reading this thread. Would be lovely to finally not be bullied for my old Catwa Daniel head anymore. 😄
What? What can I do! Yus it's old, but I love how I look and I have so far not found any new skin + head in SL, that is better technology but looks just like me. And I see myself in my avie, so.

Anyway, honestly, though, I read the ads more as a new, upcoming line of heads will feature that system, the old fart heads won't be touched or improved or updated again. A serious pity to me.

Edited by Michael Blackwood
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Michael Blackwood said:

That is what I now wondered instantly, as well as I was just reading this thread. Would be lovely to finally not be bullied for my old Catwa Daniel head anymore. 😄
What? What can I do! Yus it's old, but I love how I look and I have so far not found any new skin + head in SL, that is better technology but looks just like me. And I see myself in my avie, so.

Anyway, honestly, though, I read the ads more as a new, upcoming line of heads will feature that system, the old far heads won't be touched or improved or updated again. A serious pity to me.

I know what you mean, I have a 4 year old head. I try on new head demos, and find nothing I want to use instead.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Michael Blackwood said:

Anyway, honestly, though, I read the ads more as a new, upcoming line of heads will feature that system, the old fart heads won't be touched or improved or updated again. A serious pity to me.

Those old heads didn't even get an update to include universal neck that was available in their hdpro heads over 3 years ago, which is far less efforts/work than EvoX update. But as much as I dislike Catwa (as a brand and look wise), I can't say it's something "bad". Can't support old stuff forever. Lelutka also made one final BoM update for their Origins heads before Evo line was out, dropped their price to 1.5k with the Evo release or shortly after, and a few months ago they were retired for good.

It wouldn't stop the "bullying" anyway, though. Look is subjective of course, and as long as you like your own look it's the only thing that matters, but no amount of skin lift and EvoX updates would make those old heads any better. Not to mention just how much people get fed up seeing Catyas and Daniels non stop when Catwa was a "thing to get" back into 2016-2018.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 4

On 10/28/2023 at 4:07 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

I wonder if they will update any of their newer current heads?

I'm kind of doubting that, but you never know..

That's always a tough thing for mesh makers in SL.

When they update something - they aren't making any more money off of that.

Lets say you put out the top mesh body in SL some 8 years ago and a whole pile of people 'X' buy it in the first 6 months. Over the course of 7.5 years you make another 1/2 X sales, probably less. What's your revenue stream? Updates just help your third party vendors keep pushing their products. But unless you're getting a cut of their sales you've got nothing.

For mesh heads it's even worse. A lot fewer addon parts and people making ear socks and head pants. ;) So you don't even have the motivation of wanting to support those guys with a good cheer. You've got skins. But unless you're getting a cut of their sales once you put a head out - a month or two after it's out its sales probably dwindle to 'some random noob here and there'.

I do love that the bodies and heads get updates in SL seemingly for years and years - but it's almost "out of the kindness of their hearts" that that ever occurs.

If it was me, I'd at least want to make sure I had totally new heads ready to go the day I started supporting. I'd also make them as different from each other as possible - different ethnic groups and/or major feature differences. Then I might consider updating an older head and... I'd feel very encouraged to update one that was somewhat recent but not as well selling in the hopes that the update drove more sales of it - a tricky choice because I'd have to be confident it sold poorly for 'no reason related to itself' or it might still sell poorly.

My more popular heads though - updating them would be doing work for free. Worth it if I thought it would help draw sales to other items. Or if I was just feeling like messing around at 3am one day and hey, there's something I could while YouTube is spamming ads at me on the other screen...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

That's always a tough thing for mesh makers in SL.

When they update something - they aren't making any more money off of that.

Lets say you put out the top mesh body in SL some 8 years ago and a whole pile of people 'X' buy it in the first 6 months. Over the course of 7.5 years you make another 1/2 X sales, probably less. What's your revenue stream? Updates just help your third party vendors keep pushing their products. But unless you're getting a cut of their sales you've got nothing.

For mesh heads it's even worse. A lot fewer addon parts and people making ear socks and head pants. ;) So you don't even have the motivation of wanting to support those guys with a good cheer. You've got skins. But unless you're getting a cut of their sales once you put a head out - a month or two after it's out its sales probably dwindle to 'some random noob here and there'.

I do love that the bodies and heads get updates in SL seemingly for years and years - but it's almost "out of the kindness of their hearts" that that ever occurs.

If it was me, I'd at least want to make sure I had totally new heads ready to go the day I started supporting. I'd also make them as different from each other as possible - different ethnic groups and/or major feature differences. Then I might consider updating an older head and... I'd feel very encouraged to update one that was somewhat recent but not as well selling in the hopes that the update drove more sales of it - a tricky choice because I'd have to be confident it sold poorly for 'no reason related to itself' or it might still sell poorly.

My more popular heads though - updating them would be doing work for free. Worth it if I thought it would help draw sales to other items. Or if I was just feeling like messing around at 3am one day and hey, there's something I could while YouTube is spamming ads at me on the other screen...

I know they aren't going to.. I was just kind of saying it to put it out there.. hehehehe

6 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

It depends. If you check Lucia's bodies/heads stats list, you can see a very steady grow of most popular heads, especially Avalon (but not limited to it). 3.8k growth within last 180 days, that's 7.6k out of 26k total in a year. Head was released in Spring of 2021. So pretty linear growth with some extra increases during their sales.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.