Oh, is this true? Catwa going EVO X.

Dorientje Woller

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

For mesh heads it's even worse. A lot fewer addon parts and people making ear socks and head pants. ;) So you don't even have the motivation of wanting to support those guys with a good cheer. You've got skins. But unless you're getting a cut of their sales once you put a head out - a month or two after it's out its sales probably dwindle to 'some random noob here and there'.

May I counter act this part ... as I witnessed it this week, when I was at LOGO helping somebody out. In that period of a half hour, I saw about 10 people entering the store and buying the new and updated to EVO X heads or at least showing interest in these newer heads.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

May I counter act this part ... as I witnessed it this week, when I was at LOGO helping somebody out. In that period of a half hour, I saw about 10 people entering the store and buying the new and updated to EVO X heads or at least showing interest in these newer heads.

But does that make my point?

They were buying new heads? If this - that makes my point.

Or were they buying heads they already owned? - this would just be weird.

Or buying old heads that had been updated that maybe they had not bought previously when those heads first came out? - This would be the counter to my point/ Attracting new never before made purchases by doing an update is an unusual thing.

24 minutes ago, Josephine Carissa said:

Hello Everyone,

Skell has a new post up about this:

A Quick-Start Guide to CATWA EVOX – Virtual Bloke

Best Regards,

Josephine

Hmm. I notice that Skell's pictures are 1000 times better than Catwas on the advert.

When I saw the new Catwa head in the Catwa Flickr, I thought: "Ughh, that is not me at all".

But I became interested enough to pick up a demo now. The first thing I did, was turning off the animations. I prefer Lelutkas more subtle ones. What I like is the mouth, cheekbones, chin, mouth and nose. What makes it a no buy for me is the eyes. I could not get them as I want.

I did not spend a lot of time on the shape, and did not use the "new sliders". Maybe they could have made the eye shape better for me.

But I was surprised how much I like the rest. The lips is not so protruding, and it looks really good when the mouth is shut. The lips can be thinner and still look good. It can be a good head for those who say other heads is too pouty. A more natural mouth.

I noticed that it looks like the neck is for a male body. Has Catwa made a male neck for it? I could not find the option.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I noticed that it looks like the neck is for a male body. Has Catwa made a male neck for it? I could not find the option.

Since I am laying in bed in an insomniac fit, I can't pull it up. But on either Twitter or Blue Sky I saw a third party neck fix for female necks on the universal neck standard and the Belleza Jake body. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Since I am laying in bed in an insomniac fit, I can't pull it up. But on either Twitter or Blue Sky I saw a third party neck fix for female necks on the universal neck standard and the Belleza Jake body. 

Thanks. It is interesting, it is not so many that want a female head on a male body. But I think those who do, will spend money on their appearance. More than the average SL resident.

I have used a neck extender myself, for the super old DollCOCO head that has no neck. So I can use it with a body that can wear other clothes than the special DollCOCO body. I never thought it could be used for a female to male fix. It must be this one, you think? https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MOR-jake-female-neck-converter/25349999

I remember the Queen head, but for me, the neck looked awful when the male neck was turned on in the HUD.

jake%20fem%20neck%20ad.jpg?1698015672

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a stupid question I suppose....

Catwa still has a tattoo layer that cover the whole face? Does the new Catwa head take Omega appliers?

It does not sound like that from the advert. Quote: "Any appliers* must be Catwa or Catwa HDPRO".

I have a Kintsugi body/face layer I like very much, and it can't be worn with Lelutka heads, since they have no whole face layer, only makeup slots. The Kintsugi layer is updated to both Omega and Bom, but not to EvoX, only SLUV.

kintsugi.png

Edited by Marianne Little
added a few words
  • Like 1

As long as all of this mesh head mapping stuff doesn't turn into some new nightmare that's going to have me crashing every three minutes, like back when I joined, then everything is fine. Please, just don't do all of that to me again~! We're finally making progress!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The Kintsugi layer is updated to both Omega and Bom, but not to EvoX, only SLUV.

Updating something to be Omega compatible or BOM from an applier is a simple issue of using a different applier script (Omega) or shoving the textures in a tattoo layer (BOM). 'Updating' something from SLUV to EvoX requires a complete re-work of the textures themselves. It's why Omega was an easy way to make 'universal' appliers across several different brands when everyone was still using the SLUV, but with the EvoX map being totally different you'd need to move and stretch stuff to get it to fit, and if you want it to not just fit but look good you're essentially doubling the amount of work required to put out one product - likewise 'updating' it to the EvoX UV requires you to revisit and essentially re-make the textures.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I am googling "how to paint realistic gold".

There are specific brushes you can get for PS/Gimp, or you can use vectors that you manipulate (there's plenty of Kintsugi vectors around). What sets gold apart from 'yellow' is going to be much more about the materials (specifically specular, alternatively just highlights and shading). 

gold-gradient-hexes-1024x768.png

Taking any given pixel colour in the image and painting it flat over a surface will immediately lose the effect, it's all about the sheen!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2023 at 5:02 PM, Marianne Little said:

I am googling "how to paint realistic gold". Maybe I have to make my own Kintsugi layer. Or I can tip off a store like This is Wrong.

I really like that effect.

It's all about specular colour. Simple version :

Gold coloured plastic, has "plastic shader" style specular, that is to say, grey scale.

Gold coloured metal, has "metallic shader" style specular, that is to say the specular colour is tinted by the colour of the metal.

Edit: PBR. Simple versiion :

With PBR, the tinting of the specular by the diffuse colour is automatic, based on the "metalness map", white areas tint the specular and black areas don't. So Gold coloured plastic has an all black metalness map, and Gold coloured metal has an all white metalness map.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2023 at 12:35 AM, Michael Blackwood said:

That is what I now wondered instantly, as well as I was just reading this thread. Would be lovely to finally not be bullied for my old Catwa Daniel head anymore. 😄
What? What can I do! Yus it's old, but I love how I look and I have so far not found any new skin + head in SL, that is better technology but looks just like me. And I see myself in my avie, so.

Anyway, honestly, though, I read the ads more as a new, upcoming line of heads will feature that system, the old fart heads won't be touched or improved or updated again. A serious pity to me.

I feeeel your anguish. I resisted upgrading for the LONGEST TIME. I loved the way my avi looked, and it took me 2 yrs to go Bento. Genus. and I was happy I did. I tried bento heads and nothing looked remotely close, until I tried Genus. And then, it took me forever to go Evo X. I look back and think, why did I wait so long? I love the way she looks now. I bet if you find the right one, you'll feel the same way. :)

1 hour ago, Shelby Hillburton said:

I feeeel your anguish. I resisted upgrading for the LONGEST TIME. I loved the way my avi looked, and it took me 2 yrs to go Bento. Genus. and I was happy I did. I tried bento heads and nothing looked remotely close, until I tried Genus. And then, it took me forever to go Evo X. I look back and think, why did I wait so long? I love the way she looks now. I bet if you find the right one, you'll feel the same way. :)

Yes, there is never anything wrong with experimenting and trying new things while still preserving what you already have.. It's the wonderful thing about outfit folders.. They are the save points  in our inventory that give us the freedom to jump from one time period to the next in our looks over time..

:)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.