Would you share all the details of you avatar?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tend to be happy to share what I am wearing, especially if asked nicely. It is also flattering to get such as a comment on flickr, as well as IM in-world. I usually drop a "style card" of sorts, especially on flickr comments. In some cases, I have also mixed and matched parts of outfits, and will specify if that's the case. I also don't have a problem with sharing skin.

6 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I have no problems sharing skin, eyes, hair, body, and clothing details. The more potential customers going to my favorite creators, the merrier.  But my shape is one thing I prefer to keep to myself. 

Oh, and that, very very much! I'm always happy to give a shout out to favourite content creators. =D My shape is custom, though I don't mind helping folks with numbers if asked nicely.

• Like 4

I've never had anyone ask for an entire rundown on my avatar but I do get compliments on my outfits a lot.  If it's a particularly nice compliment instead of the usual "I love your dress" I may even scan them quick, find out what body they have and gift it to them.  I would guess people that have niche avatars might get asked this more than just the average Peggy or Walter avatar running around the grid.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I have no problems sharing skin, eyes, hair, body, and clothing details. The more potential customers going to my favorite creators, the merrier.  But my shape is one thing I prefer to keep to myself.

Exactly my response, @Eddy Vortex.

Shape is something it's taken me a long time to get exactly right and realistic. Not giving those numbers away.

I'd offer advice if asked; for example: start with an artist's 8:1 proportion study, and get your crotch in the right spot instead of up at your belly button level (larger heads, longer torsos and shorter legs girls!), and then tweak from there.

But exact body/head/shape numbers? Nope.

(I'm also the only one in world with the custom tattoo I have on my left rib cage, recreated from a real life one also on a redhead. You can't have that either.)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, I'm not even opposed to giving up shape numbers, either. All of my shapes are custom, but there are a lot of them as I wear a lot of heads, so have fun with that.

The thing is, if you really want to look like me, you're not going to be wearing the latest releases and a quick romp through Fameshed and Lel ain't gonna cut it. I go out of my way to avoid popular events and favor stores that barely participate in them. Also, if you want my shape, you're going to have to go buy my head and all the fixins, which means there's a good chance you won't be A) human, B) wearing anything popular, and C) wearing Lel. If you want to take on shopping for skins and makeup made for SLUV and custom maps and you're okay with rocking some very niche heads, by all means, have at it. Grab a pen and paper and let's do dis!

Also, since I change appearance so dang often, there's only a chance we'll look 100% the same for about...30 minutes max, so no real harm. 😂

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Shape is something it's taken me a long time to get exactly right and realistic. Not giving those numbers away.

I was once IM'd by a DJ in a club, who had bought the same mesh body I had on that night, and had been fighting to get it into a decent shape, and I was quite happy to give her a notecard with the numbers for the body sliders, after she commented that I'd managed to get a body shape she was trying for.

• Like 5

Happy to share everything but shape, only because it would take too long to type out!!

But I wear an ancient skin, lots of BOM make-up to transform it, most of my clothes are freebies - and much of all this is no longer available...

So, I would not be all that helpful after all :D 

• Like 5

Sharing customized details can be tricky or impossible.  The customized items I almost always use include these..

Ears from Lion avatar: I'd have to figure out which old Lion avatar I got the ears from.

Tail from ??!?: I'd have to figure out where I got it, 12-13 years later. (It has no janky tuft, and a custom script - see next item)

Personally created twitching tail script: Would share, but no-copy unless I helped them customize it. (People steal stuff to sell!)

Personally created whiskers with script:  If I were mean, I'd give them one whisker and say "just copy/paste this into a pattern you like and link them all together". 

My point is: If you have custom stuff or modified stuff, you either "can't" share it, or they have to get a product (like an entire avatar) then modify it the way you did.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kali Wylder said:

Back when she was Singh, Strawberry used to do an annual survey called  post your digits on her blog, where people would voluntarily post the numbers on the sliders for their shapes.

When I was a Cub, women's shapes only had 3 numbers! For example, "36-24-36".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have no problem sharing things I wear. Skin and tattoo layers too. I try to post credits on Flickr, and it really helps me if I go back, because I have no idea what I was wearing back then.

Sometimes I did not have time to post credits, sometimes I was going to post it later, and sometimes I didn't bother.

It is not so many weeks since I was trying to find a headdress from a picture from 2013. I wrote nothing, but I had posted the picture to a store group. So I found out part of it was from a headdress from that creator. I must have deleted hundreds of thousands things I regret doing. I had deleted the mask and headpiece, but by sheer luck, the store is still in SL so I could buy it again.

But the other part? No effing idea, and it annoys me so, so much.

If I had posted the details on Flickr... I would know. Even if I could not find it in my inventory or buy it again. Now I can't forget it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would be happy for them to know everything I was wearing, but I wouldn't want to have to do the typing required to give them a full listing. If they wanted to know that much, I probably would give them a screen shot of the appearance window. I wound have no worries that they would be a clone of me because I made my shape, and I don't give away copies of it.

• Like 2

I'll very happily answer any specific questions, but listing every last detail, having to look it up... far too boring/time-consuming/"like work" for my tastes, and to what avail? Even when I see an avatar that I really admire, I'd not even get the idea of wanting to know (copy) all the details. I'd rather tell them "the basics" like head, body, skin, and to be creative, have fun with all the things that are out, or tell them my favourite shops, tell them about the existence of "style cards" if they really are at a loss, or go shopping with them for a bit while chatting if they (think they) need help with putting together their avi. 

If it's because they are very new and don't have the slightest idea how to go about it, depending on how the person is, and on my time/plans, I'd help them, but probably would have to refer them to forums, websites, googling, too, as I usually don't have a whole month worth of SL time in a row 😅

As a public service, I'd also talk them into my "good Ao first, nice looks later" maxim if they don't have enough L$ or maybe gift them one, that's my bias, I'll rather look at a starter avi looks person with good moves than a superbly dressed one with starter moves ;)

Edited by InnerCity Elf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2023 at 5:23 AM, Eddy Vortex said:

The more potential customers going to my favorite creators, the merrier. 

Definitely one of my thoughts, too, I've always wondered if that thought doesn't cross people's minds who are "protective" about what they wear, even ask for "shields" against inspecting. Probably not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit at some point I would of said no to all of it, however if people are curious about what I wear in terms of clothes, accessories, hairs or gadgets, unless heavily edited or combined with other things I will gladly share it. However I do not feel comfortable sharing the skin and all the bom layers I'm wearing, and of course my shape, it is after all the base of the avatar that makes or breaks it. It gets to a point where it personally feels creepy when a person is asking for literally everything you are wearing, and it is different if it comes from a friend or a complete stranger.

I might be silly for thinking this way, but I see it as someone snooping at your homework if they are asking for everything with the intention of recreating your whole avatar. I don't often put together a brand new unique outfit or avatar, I tend to stick with the ones I have and improve and upgrade them over time, so it takes a lot of time for me to become happy with my avatar. Even if it is just a virtual avatar, for me I see my avatars as different versions of me, being a attractive version of me or less, scary, wacky or whatever else it will be, I don't see them as different characters with different names but as myself, I'm after all controlling it, deciding on what it does and do not do and what it wears and what it looks like, from what I find pleasant. 

With that in mind, it is weird to me at least, that someone rather want to look like someone else, than put together something themselves, that shows what they like and hints of who they are as a person or who they want to be as a person, if that makes any sense.

I might be thinking to deep into this lmao.

Edited by PixelBerry
  • Like 4

On 10/8/2023 at 8:42 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Would you give some random avatar all the details of your avatar? What body, head, skin, hair, eyes, clothes? Or would you keep it a secret so you don't have a complete clone of yourself running around SL?

Sure but my shape has been modified, so they wouldn't be an exact match.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.