Body packs vs single colors: Which do you prefer?

Arwyn Quandry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

Clutter drives me bonkers, but sitting there for 10-15 minutes deleting every body size minus Reborn is even worse. This is why I like the smart unpackers and even buy by body size. It allows me to either unpack just that body or click on the specific body I have and get it's contents and put on the outfit and go. xD

I love those smart huds like that for sure.. I wish they all would switch to those..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Same here, it would mean I could click on my body of choice and just put on the outfit. Without the hassle of cleaning up the folders of what I bought first. Lol 

Until then, it's probably a very slim chance of finding those huds being used  when I'm looking for specific items.. I'm just not that fortunate and have to settle.. hehehe

• Thanks 1

For colours and patterns, I tend to go for fatpacks, especially if it's more cost effective in the long run.

As for body specific things, I welcome them, as I use Maitreya only, and don't see myself using much of anything else. Moreso if I get the chance to unpack Maitreya only.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

There is one creator, so far that I know, that sells its gear with a body selector ... but not in a way described here. You wear the piece you bought, you add the included hud, select the body you are using and the piece adapt to the body.

Which is the worst possible thing as far as SL performance is considered. You are basically wearing 5-6 sizes of same outfit at the same time, the rest are just invisible. Now I don't really care about perfect SL optimization, far from it, but some of her pieces hit well over 1m triangles (more than average dressed avatar in normal outfit, accessories etc together). I pass on her stuff even for weekend sale prices because of that.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Which is the worst possible thing as far as SL performance is considered. You are basically wearing 5-6 sizes of same outfit at the same time, the rest are just invisible. Now I don't really care about perfect SL optimization, far from it, but some of her pieces hit well over 1m triangles (more than average dressed avatar in normal outfit, accessories etc together). I pass on her stuff even for weekend sale prices because of that.

Did a test with it. Before changing outfit, wearing one bodysuit from Violent Seduction and some boots from Cult: Complexity is only 30,877. Changed only the bodysuit with a skirt and fur jacket (aka to items with this system) from the creator of which I am talking about, rest remained the same on my alt: Complexity is only 38,987. Wouldn't call that a big raise in complexity.

I prefer single colours with all the bodies. It's not like I am going to use all the colours in a fatpack, I buy those only rarely, and I change bodies a lot so it suits me to have the choice. Also worth mentioning, these single body fatpacks that some creators are doing now tend to hover around the 500L mark and up, which is a lot to pay if you only want one colour.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Did a test with it. Before changing outfit, wearing one bodysuit from Violent Seduction and some boots from Cult: Complexity is only 30,877. Changed only the bodysuit with a skirt and fur jacket (aka to items with this system) from the creator of which I am talking about, rest remained the same on my alt: Complexity is only 38,987. Wouldn't call that a big raise in complexity.

Complexity numbers will more than likely be lower than the triangles count..

What I'll usually do to test the triangles is, reset my avatar to default which will put me at 1000 complexity and  zero  visible triangles. then turn on, Show avatar complexity information.

I actually have an outfit folder ready to go with a raw avatar to save me from jumping in the upper menu all the time.. I'm lazy like that. hehehe

Then I'll put the item on and get a much better picture of what the weight  of the item is..

like the Reborn Waifu bewbies for instance. I have a raw avatar on right now and showing only 1000 complexity and zero on the visTris.. Once I put the Waifus on, my complexity only jumps to 2208, but my visible Triangles jump to 20.90k..

I'm sure someone has a better way of doing it, but this is the only way I know..

• Like 2

Well... I regularly run on six bodies at this point. Maitreya, Erika, free Legacy, Ruth2, Senra and Ye Olde system. So ya, I love fatpacks. A fat pack with color/texture HUD is ideal for me.

Mostly I look out for anything that has Maitreya and Erika in a pack these days.

I'm already at what, 75k to 80k in the inventory count? IDK when I'll need to cut back, I've no serious problems with lag yet based on my inventory.  Maybe at 100k lol

I should score one of those smart unpackers... thanks @Sammy Huntsman

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Complexity numbers will more than likely be lower than the triangles count..

What I'll usually do to test the triangles is, reset my avatar to default which will put me at 1000 complexity and  zero  visible triangles. then turn on, Show avatar complexity information.

I actually have an outfit folder ready to go with a raw avatar to save me from jumping in the upper menu all the time.. I'm lazy like that. hehehe

Then I'll put the item on and get a much better picture of what the weight  of the item is..

like the Reborn Waifu bewbies for instance. I have a raw avatar on right now and showing only 1000 complexity and zero on the visTris.. Once I put the Waifus on, my complexity only jumps to 2208, but my visible Triangles jump to 20.90k..

I'm sure someone has a better way of doing it, but this is the only way I know..

You base yourself on triangles, I base myself on complexity, each their own method but either way the higher the number the less easier it becomes to run SL, the more chance you get to have a choppy experience, depending on the viewer, of course.

I know which store you're talking about so I did a little test.  While some may say complexity and other say triangles, it's all of it together that makes something not optimal.  

First picture without clothing and second is with a simple tank top from said creators...

c6f25112c538c460346b0a781025d548.png.76ffab1bd80d116c723636dbd3e19fb4.png

dec5d19e3a3f7a67f43f557b318b3ee8.png.ba636214b27fee2f1927ff91081ecb79.png

Most of my furniture doesn't have crazy numbers like this...

f5b574b2253cb15b356e283551cf6c5a.png.fc119f162bfb3479a1a589c6414e411e.png

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

You base yourself on triangles, I base myself on complexity, each their own method but either way the higher the number the less easier it becomes to run SL, the more chance you get to have a choppy experience, depending on the viewer, of course.

Honestly, If I want to wear something, it's not gonna matter to me.. At events most people have  to where they only rez friends..

The way I look at is this..I didn't go shopping at events and stores to not wear what I went shopping for in the first place when I go out.. hehehe

The only reason I responded was to show a different way to measure them by using a raw avatar.. For me it just makes things  simpler..

• Thanks 1

Wearing one mesh body, Maitreya, and not interested in any other.  I rarely buy a single color of anything.  I buy with the mindset of 'Will this outfit still be current 5-10 years from now'?  I don't mind opening up each color one at a time.  I will buy a FP of all bodies or a FP of one body.  I'll ditch the excess bodies I do not wear, along with the landmarks and notecards, and keep any photos the creators have included.  It's all potatoes/patatoes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nuuna Nitely said:

Usually single colour(90% of the time I wear black), if I see potential for other colours then body backs (I don't change bodies), fatpacks only depending on price or few selected stores (Pixicat).

Pixicat is one of my favorite stores but the difference in patterns options between the fat pack and the single packs makes me so sad! So many times I've fallen in love with an option only to realize it's only in the fatpack. 

1 hour ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Current complexity formula has been played with for so many years that it has higher chance to show phases of the Moon, than anything relevant for SL's content/performance. You know it really is broken when a couple of basic textured mesh cubes have less "complexity" than 4m (yes, millions) triangles old non-bento heads by Catwa that you can still encounter from time to time.

LL was reworking it and the land impact calculation formula along with it, but they've put it on hold a few years ago, and knowing LL it's most likely abandoned at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

Pixicat is one of my favorite stores but the difference in patterns options between the fat pack and the single packs makes me so sad! So many times I've fallen in love with an option only to realize it's only in the fatpack. 

I rarely buy fatpacks, but Pixicat fatpacks are a very good price for what you get. Also, their fatpacks are mod, and I've modded their stuff for different outfits many times. And I actually wear their stuff more than once. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

Pixicat is an odd one. Sometimes my favorite textures are available in single color purchases and sometimes they're only available in the fatpack. I prefer the black glitter and the red velvet textures for her items, overall, and they're often in fatpacks, only, but are sometimes offered as single options. I'm sure there's a method to the madness, but I don't see it.

I prefer single color purchases, but do buy some of the "fatpacks" for a single body, since I mainly wear Legacy. But only if I really feel I'll use more than 2 or 3 colors/textures in the pack.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Special colors and cute patterns showing up *only* in fatpacks is the main reason why I never buy fatpacks (unless I've got a lot of store credit to burn).

I always leave and go shop in places that let me buy those separately.

I was about to name a big offender of this... but then remembered hehe. I love their stuff though, recently they had a half price sale which made me grab all those fatpacks with the nice patterns that I was refusing to buy on principle.

28 minutes ago, Shiloh Lyric said:

Pixicat is an odd one. Sometimes my favorite textures are available in single color purchases and sometimes they're only available in the fatpack. I prefer the black glitter and the red velvet textures for her items, overall, and they're often in fatpacks, only, but are sometimes offered as single options. I'm sure there's a method to the madness, but I don't see it.

I prefer single color purchases, but do buy some of the "fatpacks" for a single body, since I mainly wear Legacy. But only if I really feel I'll use more than 2 or 3 colors/textures in the pack.

I wish they were mod too, sometimes there's extra stuff I'd love to make transparent but I can't 😢

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

There is one creator, so far that I know, that sells its gear with a body selector ... but not in a way described here. You wear the piece you bought, you add the included hud, select the body you are using and the piece adapt to the body.

Wow I have never seen that... quite an odd way of doing it for no real benefit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.