Body packs vs single colors: Which do you prefer?

Arwyn Quandry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Over the last couple years, some creators have switched from offering their items in individual colors with all body riggings to offering all colors but only one body per purchase. The big difference in this model seems to be price. Individual colors often cost less per item than packs with all colors but one body. Some creators have said selling body packs makes sense because rigging takes a lot of time and effort, and this way they know what bodies people actually buy things for. 

Curious how people feel about this practice. Do you like buying packs with one color or with one body? 

• Thanks 1

I prefer fatpacks that include all body sizes they currently rig for with the option to only unpack the body you are currently using.  I prefer fatpacks over all as opposed to purchasing single colors.

The one issue I do have is one specific long time creator doesn't use a color HUD for their fatpack but packages each color separately with each body included.  She's been here long enough to put together a dang HUD especially when it's usually just 5 or so colors.  Annoying as heck.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'd rather have all the body sizes. I only wear pinks and white and the rest of the colors won't be used either way.  I do tend to shop with makers that provide additional trim colors though. Sometimes the just one color option provided by some makers is just to flat without any trim options.

Bonus if they pack it in a way that you can select the body you want to unpack for!

• Like 1

Single colors with all the body options for me. I wear several bodies depending on the look I want, and it gets way too expensive to have to buy per size, even when things are on sale. Plus I also tend to use just one or two colors from a fatpack or mini pack, anyway. 

• Like 6

I'm fine with single body packs, I don't swap around bodies like some do though so this isn't a big deal to me. Single body packs are pretty rare though, I don't encounter them much.

I would expect them to be at a discount, that doesn't seem to be the case normally though... although it's hard to say really, pricing varies. I do like that mini-packs are becoming more common though, those can be a good compromise but it does always seem to be the case that you really want the fatpack all the same...

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

Single colors. I wear black at most times, occasionally white, unless it's a rare denim piece, which I prefer in classic blue tones. So the body size pack with all colors means "a single color" for me in most cases, and I'm not buying a single color for 500L$ those body packs usual cost.

But it gets even worse, after swapping from Legacy to Reborn, which actually has a few well supported mods, and seeing some creators also separate waifu/juicy/rolls sizes from regular body in such packs... Nope, not buying anything there, unless it's a weekend sale.

• Like 4

I think selling a single body pack with a limited range of colors or textures makes the most sense for the seller, so they can easily track which bodies are the most popular with their customers.

For my own convenience, I would also rather have several colors or textures for one body, rather than one color or texture for multiple bodies. I don't usually switch my mesh bodies, though recently I've been trying some different ones.

Alycia and Tasha both wear Maitreya Lara. Alycia mostly wears black, grey and dark colors. Tasha mostly wears white or cream. Evan wears Belleza Jake, though he also has Signature Gianni. Persephone mostly wears Belleza Freya, though she also has Maitreya Lara, Belleza GenX Classic Lite, and Erika Zero Lite. (The girls all have LucyBody Atenea too, but for purposes of fitting mesh clothing, that's the same as Maitreya Lara.)

Since I generally prefer to stick with one mesh body/ account, I'd rather buy single body packs. For gifts however, those could be in one color with multiple body sizes, depending on whether the seller would rather have only one gift package or if they want to collect data on which bodies are more popular.

Here's a couple example of packing that I like. Salt and Pepper sells single colors or fatpacks by body type, which lets them keep costs down and track which sizes their customers want to buy. Vanilla Bae frequently sells mini packs of 3 similar colors, for instance shades of pink or black and 2 grey tones.

Bad packaging examples are fatpacks of individual colors rather than a color/ texture HUD, or packs in which an individual color item doesn't identify which color it is except on the package name. If I buy more than one color of an item, I want to keep all those different colors together in the same folder.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
To add examples
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

Over the last couple years, some creators have switched from offering their items in individual colors with all body riggings to offering all colors but only one body per purchase.

Frankly I wish more people would do that. I prefer items sold by the body. I only use one mesh body, so the vast bulk of what I buy goes into a "I have no use for this" folder.

Most people pick a body and heavily rely on it.

We also have all kinds of random ideas of what bodies are popular - most of the methods of measuring this are flawed. Selling by the body tells a seller what body is being valued by their customer. That's actual useful data.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The one issue I do have is one specific long time creator doesn't use a color HUD for their fatpack but packages each color separately with each body included.

That doesn't bother me. I can't stand having active scripts in the things I'm wearing unless they're being actively used to do something for me. All those options HUDs tend to be loaded down with scripts and a lot of times they don't let me delete those scripts.

My ideal pack would just be one unscripted mod copy and a pile of textures I can put on it myself... but I never get that. So I'll settle for either mod so I can delete scripts or unscripted copies of each color.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The one issue I do have is one specific long time creator doesn't use a color HUD for their fatpack but packages each color separately with each body included.  She's been here long enough to put together a dang HUD especially when it's usually just 5 or so colors.  Annoying as heck.

I agree with this.  I've got stuff from a few creator's that do this. One creator told me that she has to set up packages of every color individually for the single color buys and thus, it is more work to then create a HUD of all colors rather than just dumping all individual colors into the package.  So her fat-pack would then contain multiple packages, one per color, and each of those packages then need to be unpacked and will contain all bodies for that color.  I do understand her reasoning, but I would still prefer one item plus a HUD in my inventory, rather than an object for each color -- even when I'm only keeping stuff for one body.

• Like 3

If I really want it bad enough, it doesn't really matter to me.. If there is a fatpack, it's really gonna depend on how well the coloring is done.. Am I gonna be putting on a light show with these tops or are the colors gonna feel natural and not blinding..

Plus if there is a pattern pack in there and it looks like they are all from someones living room furniture in the 1970's, I'm gonna pass on that..

Really, it just comes down to the moment on what I'm gonna do.. It may be a single or it may be a fatpack..

As far as buying for each body, it's still gonna depend  on the moment and the quality of what I'm looking at.. If I have to sit there and think way too much about it while I'm there, I'll come to a point of where I just walk away.. If I wanted to think this hard I would have worked overtime this weekend.. hehehe

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If I really want it bad enough, it doesn't really matter to me.. If there is a fatpack, it's really gonna depend on how well the coloring is done.. Am I gonna be putting on a light show with these tops or are the colors gonna feel natural and not blinding..

Plus if there is a pattern pack in there and it looks like they are all from someones living room furniture in the 1970's, I'm gonna pass on that..

Really, it just comes down to the moment on what I'm gonna do.. It may be a single or it may be a fatpack..

As far as buying for each body, it's still gonna depend  on the moment and the quality of what I'm looking at.. If I have to sit there and think way too much about it while I'm there, I'll come to a point of where I just walk away.. If I wanted to think this hard I would have worked overtime this weekend.. hehehe

I just don't like clutter in my inventory, especially since for so long creators didn't have it separated in the unpacker by body or sold by body. So these new systems are amazing, and I finally don't have to take 10 to 15 minutes to go through deleting stuff after a shopping trip. Yeah I want to wear the clothes right away, not go through organize and liquidate clothes that weren't rigged for my body. This just makes it quick and simple. 

• Like 3

Almost always prefer single colours, or small packs with a good selection of colours. Very few purchases make it as fatpacks, paying for 12 colours and getting 15 when I'll only use 1 or 2 anyway feels a bit pointless - I'd rather buy those two colours individually instead. Not a fan of the concept of body-specific packs, even if I only use 1 body myself. Never bought any, and I don't anticipate I will.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Almost always prefer single colours, or small packs with a good selection of colours. Very few purchases make it as fatpacks, paying for 12 colours and getting 15 when I'll only use 1 or 2 anyway feels a bit pointless - I'd rather buy those two colours individually instead. Not a fan of the concept of body-specific packs, even if I only use 1 body myself. Never bought any, and I don't anticipate I will.

The only reason why I buy fatpacks, is for the bonus colours or maybe even the special graphics on it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I just don't like clutter in my inventory, especially since for so long creators didn't have it separated in the unpacker by body or sold by body. So these new systems are amazing, and I finally don't have to take 10 to 15 minutes to go through deleting stuff after a shopping trip. Yeah I want to wear the clothes right away, not go through organize and liquidate clothes that weren't rigged for my body. This just makes it quick and simple. 

I pretty much delete everything but the Maitreya and Reborn, which are the two bodies I wear most.. If for some reason one of my other bodies sparks me I'll just unpack that one..

I spent a lot of time last summer getting my inventory straightened out, So I understand what you mean by the clutter..  If the item is worth it I'm gonna get it, as long as I'm not jumping through hoops to get it.. The system it's using isn't really gonna matter to me that much if I really want it..

Plus I'm gonna test it on the bodies I'm wanting it for..if they are all in one folder it's just a matter of holding down the ctrl button and clicking all the ones I don't want and  hitting delete.. Then make a copy of the folder and put one in the Reborn directory and  take the other and put it in the Maitreya directory..

Now if it's something like what Rowen was referring to with them not having a hud at all and putting each color for each body and having to unpack each body to get a zillion items  in my inventory for each body..  Those are the places that I don't even bother with anymore..  It's 2023, at least have a hud if they are selling a fatpack.. hehehe

I think I know the creator she is referring to.. Talk about time consuming and cluttering things up.. Omg! hehehe

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

Over the last couple years, some creators have switched from offering their items in individual colors with all body riggings to offering all colors but only one body per purchase. The big difference in this model seems to be price. Individual colors often cost less per item than packs with all colors but one body. Some creators have said selling body packs makes sense because rigging takes a lot of time and effort, and this way they know what bodies people actually buy things for. 

Curious how people feel about this practice. Do you like buying packs with one color or with one body? 

If it’s a genuine sellers content and not a full perm product I’d rather have my body and a Hud with colors. Copy of course!  I only use Lara Or recently lucybody having put Erika in a folder waiting to delete…. 

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I pretty much delete everything but the Maitreya and Reborn, which are the two bodies I wear most.. If for some reason one of my other bodies sparks me I'll just unpack that one..

I spent a lot of time last summer getting my inventory straightened out, So I understand what you mean by the clutter..  If the item is worth it I'm gonna get it, as long as I'm not jumping through hoops to get it.. The system it's using isn't really gonna matter to me that much if I really want it..

Plus I'm gonna test it on the bodies I'm wanting it for..if they are all in one folder it's just a matter of holding down the ctrl button and clicking all the ones I don't want and  hitting delete.. Then make a copy of the folder and put one in the Reborn directory and  take the other and put it in the Maitreya directory..

Now if it's something like what Rowen was referring to with them not having a hud at all and putting each color for each body and having to unpack each body to get a zillion items  in my inventory for each body..  Those are the places that I don't even bother with anymore..  It's 2023, at least have a hud if they are selling a fatpack.. hehehe

I think I know the creator she is referring to.. Talk about time consuming and cluttering things up.. Omg! hehehe

Clutter drives me bonkers, but sitting there for 10-15 minutes deleting every body size minus Reborn is even worse. This is why I like the smart unpackers and even buy by body size. It allows me to either unpack just that body or click on the specific body I have and get it's contents and put on the outfit and go. xD

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.