What in your opinion is a good blogger?

bateliii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Whether you are a store owner, a blogger, or just curious about seeing other people's work.
What do you think makes the blogger better than the others?
Are these mostly the people with the imaginative pictures? Or the people with straightforward pictures but with good quality?

And for the criticism line, what do you think makes the blogger less interesting/appealing?

1 hour ago, bateliii said:

Whether you are a store owner, a blogger, or just curious about seeing other people's work.
What do you think makes the blogger better than the others?
Are these mostly the people with the imaginative pictures? Or the people with straightforward pictures but with good quality?

And for the criticism line, what do you think makes the blogger less interesting/appealing?

I prefer bloggers who provide credits for all the items, and not just the couple of things provided by their "sponsors". That will get me to follow their work. I usually prefer imaginative pictures over straightforward pictures of avatars, but if it is a fashion blogger I will follow them if they post outfits in styles I like even if their photos aren't so creative. And what makes a blogger less appealing? Pictures with no credits and just a YouTube link to some song I don't want to listen to.

• Like 7

I used to follow Strawberry Singh before she became Strawberry Linden. 

I would call her the Gold Standard in blogging. Very informative. Writing every detail. Taking gorgeous pictures. Since she is a LL employee, her fashion posts has stopped and she blog about events and such for LL. But here is an example of her previous blog entries that show what I mean:

Skin Fair 2019 – StrawberrySingh.com

Here is an example of a blogger that does not write 100% of all that he's wearing. This is eye candy and inspiration. All the fellas tell the ladies we can wear what they can wear – The Legacy Male Heeled Foot update! – Virtual Bloke I can use him as inspiration for one of my mAlts.

I do not follow any new blogs. It is so many wide hips and big breasts, they show so much skin and are the oposite of what I want to buy.

Sure, I can dress up as a fantasy avatar and show a lot of skin, but not all the time. I can dress in shiny latex or all leather, but I would really like to see it on an avatar that's slimmer. If you know any bloggers who are actual now and that I can be interested in, send me an IM. (Edit: I hate video blogging)

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 8

A good blogger should be independent IMHO and shouldn't have product placement as main purpose, just to butter up their sponsors so they collect even more free stuff.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

A good blogger grabs all the stuff from the blogger room, rezzes everything out in front of a backdrop, little bit of shuffling, rotating. And then it's time for the scanner HUD, which convenienetly lists the object names that have been meticulously placed all around, and, if it's a really fancy HUD, adds their respective store names. and then it's time for a snapshot. Nice and big, 7500 pixels wide, so you can see a hint of the stuff tucked behind other stuff. And then it's time to upload the picture to Flickr. And copy paste the item name/store name list from Local Chat in the Flickr description. And then comes the hard work: (i) submit the art to at least one thousand different Flickr groups, (ii) 'Like' a whole tonne of related pictures from blogger friends on Flickr in hopes of reciprocity. And Bob's your uncle. The written word is for boomers. Pictures are worth a thousand words and Flickr is King.

What makes a good blogger? If they write stuff that I enjoy as a reader, I guess. Most importantly, listing a bunch of pros and cons of the product in question.

What I really miss, though, is, when I take a bloggers criticism to heart, and I improve upon it, it's practically never that these improvements get a follow-up in a blog.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1

Blogging is a big deal, because it provides freebies, and that can matter.  But the blogotex process is quite specific in terms of what bloggers can access, how long they get after taking the item before they blog it, and how many blogs they must do per month or whatever. Some also require Facebook, and/or other social media.

I know some bloggers, and it can certainly get like work. And it takes time away from personal creativity. Having said that, I've blogged poses for an old friend informally, but having applied to maybe eight or nine creators over the past few months, all I got was rejected. It's no big deal. I'll just continue with my freelance blogging, because that way, I buy what I want to wear in world.

• Like 2

I prefer bloggers who don't just put up photos with a list of what they're wearing.  I like the ones who give us a glimpse into their SL lives while still giving us pretty pictures and credits. 

I loved the Emerald's Eyes blog because it wasn't a fashion blog. It was about the adventures of a hilarious person in SL.  She wasn't out to impress anyone with her photo or writing skills, but she's just so dang funny.  She only posts maybe once or twice a year now unfortunately.

I also love Lori Novo's blog. She does pretty pictures and good writing, but you can definitely get to know the person behind the avatar, unlike a lot of fashion bloggers.

I tried having my own blog for a very short while, but it's just so much work.  I won't criticize too much, but I pay little attention to the bloggers that just do pics/credits and nothing else, unless I see specific items I want to check out in world.  9 times out of 10 I don't buy the item because it doesn't look as good in world as it did in the blogger's photos.  I ignore bloggers who seem to exist solely to create p0rn that ends up on the fashion feeds.  

So many of my favorite writer bloggers have faded away slowly or abruptly to be replaced by the ones who have sponsors.  Whatever happened to buying and showing the things you love instead of being beholden to post every item they receive.  I never did it to get freebies.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised it happened. Influencers have taken over YouTube culture for freebies too, but I'm never going to buy from Shein, Temu, or Wish. 

• Like 5

I like bloggers who shows both pros and cons of the items they're reviewing. Not just "it's cuuuuute! Squeeee!". For example, "fits great on Reborn, but the mesh is a bit loose on Maitreya", or "great texturing overall but I'm not keen on the butt crack shading".

By the way, does anyone here remembers Salome Strangelove's blog (SL lifestyle or something like that)? Her skin reviews were excellent!

Anyone remember the Mermaid blog years ago? If I remember right she even ended up making a really good and popular flexi hair, good for that time period anyways..

She had a really good blog with a lot of variety about second life.. Some products, but also places and tutorials and things you could do in world.. A really well rounded blog..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

A good blogger, or a good brand-sponsored advertiser? 

'Blogging' has such a peculiar meaning in Second Life. Skell and Strawberry both are great bloggers, their articles are interesting and entertaining, as well as informative. 

I personally see no point in following fashion bloggers who have been sponsored, if I like the brand I'm probably already following them and I'll get to see their releases in my feed/notices and usually get very clear picture of the product. Seeing what a clothing article looks like after being ran through multiple filters doesn't really do anything for me.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I would call her the Gold Standard in blogging. Very informative. Writing every detail. Taking gorgeous pictures. Since she is a LL employee, her fashion posts has stopped and she blog about events and such for LL.

What's an example of a current good blogger?

Profky Neva at https://3dblogger.typepad.com/second_thoughts/

or

Hamlet Au at https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/

or some other blogger?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

or

or some other blogger?

I was thinking about fashion blogs. Those you mention are more like news about SL in general?

I used to follow some blogs about interesting places to take pictures. I use Inara Pey's blog for that now. And I read her reports on LL news. I am not so interested in SL art, so I skip those posts.

• Like 1

I do not have any favorite female fashion blogs since Strawberry stopped. Maybe she was too good, all other blogs appear lacking something when I compare it to her. Skell Dagger is not posting new content more than once or twice in a year, so I can look up his blog once in a while to see if it is something new.

• Like 1

I forgot Wicca Merlin. Do not expect sundresses. Wicca Merlin | The Second Life of a SL Model

She has the store Wicca's Originals and blog what she's making, and also a ton of other creators. She takes mix and match to a new level. It is art.

I am in ordinary clothing almost all the time, but if I want inspiration for cyberpunk, steampunk, goth, horror or anything else than the usual wear, that is the place to look. 

The screen of an ordinary laptop can be too small for all the credit details, I have to scroll down to read.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Anyone remember the Mermaid blog years ago? If I remember right she even ended up making a really good and popular flexi hair, good for that time period anyways..

She had a really good blog with a lot of variety about second life.. Some products, but also places and tutorials and things you could do in world.. A really well rounded blog..

That was Sirena Hair by Natalia Zelmanov.  I bought up most of her store back then.  She had probably the first hair animations.  I kept a couple of her hairs in my museu...inventory.  Alas, her Mermaid Diaries site is no more.  I know it costs money to host an inactive blog, but I love the time capsules. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:
On 9/5/2023 at 6:50 AM, Marianne Little said:

I would call her the Gold Standard in blogging. Very informative. Writing every detail. Taking gorgeous pictures. Since she is a LL employee, her fashion posts has stopped and she blog about events and such for LL.

or

or some other blogger?

For my money Inara Pey is the best there is.

https://modemworld.me/

When it comes to the technological side of SL she provides great summaries of the various User Groups meetings as well as covering Viewers and Viewer updates. She is excellent at presenting just the facts and clearly states when something is her opinion.

When it comes to things to do and places to see she is an excellent source for that also.

As far as fashion bloggers go they are a dime a dozen. I will keep the rest of my opinion of them to myself 

• Like 5

I like blogs that are entertaining and imaginative. There is so much fun stuff out there, its interesting to see what other people do. I don't think I can post the links here, but ItsJess Skydancer writes some very adventurous stuff. The pictures are great and the content is very interesting. I

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.