Official or Firestorm?

Bazzilla

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

47 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

If they didn't do slight modifications, they wouldn't have a hobby, would they ? :D

A Rolls Royce is a slight modification of a Lada. I'd rather have the former as my daily driver rather then the latter, hence I use TPV's especially Firestorm.

Same with chips, I'd rather have a poutine rather than plain chips. It is the modifications that turn it from bland and barely edible to a delicacy.

La_Banquise_Poutine.jpg

Edited by Arielle Popstar
stuff
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Chip butties are popular here in the UK. You can get them in any fish and chip shop, but not between slices of bread. Tea cakes are used (there are different words here for tea cakes so maybe not even all Brits will know the term). A tea cake is round bread about 1.5" high. They are sliced in two horizontally, buttered, with chips between the slices. At home, normal sliced bread is probably used more than tea cakes.

About the Emerald viewer and LL checking code:
Even if LL had checked the Emerald code, they wouldn't have found the skulduggerous bit. Apart from wotsisname, not even the developers knew about it because he compiled the routine without telling anyone what it was. It was brought to light by one of the developers who decided to figure out what it was, and Emerald was banned.

I never used Emerald but it took until Firestorm before I felt I could trust their viewers, and I only use it for OpenSim because there isn't much in the way of choice.

Nooooo a tea cake has currants in and you toast it and serve it with butter and have it with a drink of tea. 😜 

A bread cake is what you described as being a tea cake, but otherwise that is a perfect description of a chip butty.

I was a fan of Emerald, was accused by a hardcore anti-Emerald person as an Emerald-loving, tree-hugging something or other. I wear that badge with pride. It grieved her enormously when the viewer rose from the ashes as Phoenix/Firestorm. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
Sore fingers, missing letters er er
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

About the Emerald viewer and LL checking code:
Even if LL had checked the Emerald code, they wouldn't have found the skulduggerous bit. Apart from wotsisname, not even the developers knew about it because he compiled the routine without telling anyone what it was. It was brought to light by one of the developers who decided to figure out what it was, and Emerald was banned.

Yep. Frac was using Emerald to DDoS a particular website because he had a grudge. There was a reason he insisted on being able to TP to wherever you were regardless of what you were doing at any time (there's a setting for that) if you were on his friends list. You had to always be visible. That's how he used my potato pc for his DDoSing and killed it. It barely ran SL much less being used as an attack vector. Frac owes me for a new pc.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, John Nova said:

I'd love for the official LL viewer to be able to use more than 512 Mb VRAM in order for textures not to have to load in and out so often.

Wait really?

This feels like a 'lol wut' moment.

These days I think even a PC without a GPU can cycle in enough other resources to beat that demand.

(I have a $200 laptop that runs SL just fine - but it has Firestorm on it, yet Firestorm can cycle down that low, but then also go above. My 1 year old $200 PC beats the performance of my 10 year old $3000 macBook Pro with what was then the top GPU Macs could have - never buying a Mac again... it took all of 1 year for that Mac to start having issues with SL in crowds, and being a laptop that was it. So I'll stick to cheap for laptops and go high end for desktop PCs where I can swap in new parts and there's always a person on youtube to walk me through doing it.)

I switched to firestorm a while back when I thought I was going to get into RLV to puppet my alts around while logged in 3 times. I do do that now and then and get good performance - but I rarely use RLV anymore and it's easier to just tab between windows if I have them all logged in.

I have set my UI to look very close to the official one, with some minor adjustments. That's a feature of Firestorm - my use of it and someone else's use can look so different. At the time I switched one major thing that drove me over was also that I could resize the 'Camera Controls' thing. I like to have that be as small as possible and sometimes go without it (in a perfect UI it would have no purpose as the UI would be as responsive as an MMO is using just keys and mouse and no screen clicking - and I've tweaked the keybinds a little in controls to help me get closer to that).

I tried some other TPVs and they either updated way too slowly or had very intrusive changes that were not optional. One I gave up on simply because it insisting on running a loud video on the load screen.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Perrie Juran said:

I like my baked potato with butter and ranch sour cream dip.

Try one "fully baked". Butter (unsalted), sour cream, chives, bits of bacon and a little shredded cheese blend of Monterey Jack, Cheddar (mild/med), Queso Quesadilla and Asadero.*

*aka Mexican Style

• Like 2

Maybe it's too much to ask to keep inview textures rezzed but SL is set up for activity, not photographs. I know it's predictive and random the way viewers assume someone will want a 360 degree view, but I don't think using more and more vRam is the answer because we'll always want more and more. And there's nothing wrong with always wanting more and more.

If we're voting in a choice between Firestorm, LL viewer, or Quartz Mole for president, I'd vote Quartz Mole rather than the AI. With a side order of pommes frites.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Nooooo a tea cake has currants in and you toast it and serve it with butter and have it with a drink of tea. 😜 

Phil is using that Special "Phil is never wrong because he uses a different definition of right to everyone else".

What he laughably refers to as "tea cakes" are in fact what Northerners call "Barm Cakes" and Southerners call "Baps".

He's just as wrong about TPV's being "the same as the official bug ridden featureless drek issued by LL", for exactly the same reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Phil is using that Special "Phil is never wrong because he uses a different definition of right to everyone else".

What he laughably refers to as "tea cakes" are in fact what Northerners call "Barm Cakes" and Southerners call "Baps".

He's just as wrong about TPV's being "the same as the official bug ridden featureless drek issued by LL", for exactly the same reason.

I wish there more posts where we derail ourselves in our own threads instead of derailing the whole thread. I like how you included even a side order of baps and still made a point. I do the same thing all the time. Did you know there's a thread derailing insurgency? I just learned this today.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2023 at 10:31 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

For a while I was microwaving a potato for my breakfast too, so I could put fried eggs, bacon and salsa on it.

A potato that has fried eggs bacon and salsa on it should be made into hash browns first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cirleen said:

Maybe it's too much to ask to keep inview textures rezzed but SL is set up for activity, not photographs. I know it's predictive and random the way viewers assume someone will want a 360 degree view, but I don't think using more and more vRam is the answer because we'll always want more and more. And there's nothing wrong with always wanting more and more.

If we're voting in a choice between Firestorm, LL viewer, or Quartz Mole for president, I'd vote Quartz Mole rather than the AI. With a side order of pommes frites.

Sure but 512MB? it's not 2006, VRAM unused is VRAM wasted and that is a ludicrously low amount given even(now) potato GPUs from 2010 onwards will have 2GB or more to use.

Using all available resources is pretty key to performance and given the high demands of SL's entirely unoptomized content and ancient engine it's essential to use everything.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.