Houseboats - Square vs Rectangle

UnilWay SpiritWeaver

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The vast majority of houseboats are rectangles. I've always preferred the square ones.

I like the squares for the open spot of water that I can fit a boat and some watery decor into, and have what feels like wider sailing room to get in and out.

But I'm curious to see if we have anyone who has a counter preference for rectangles they could sell me on. It would be so much easier to find a "perfect spot" if I could see the appeal of a rectangle shaped houseboat - but I've not managed to convince myself.

• Like 2

I actually like the rectangle shape better because I have some cute swimming dolphins. I like tp put teh dolphins in the half of the parcel where the houseboat is not covering the water and watch them swim around. Wiht their swim patterns, the fit perfectly in a 16x32 area.

However, I dont like to be "penned in" either, so I like ot my have my rectangle at the end where  I only have a close neighbor on one side.

• Like 4

I prefer the rectangles, and like Teresa, I like those on the end.  There are also some nice ones next to a Mole shed/boathouse.

To me, the rectangles feel more like an actual houseboat, like I see in RL.  

Also, I find the long stretch of water to be more flexible.  I can easily define separate swimming, docking, and deck areas; or have a sea monster/dolphins or whatever roaming to and fro, or see my kite or birds flying out far from the house, or put an underwater garden out at the end of my parcel, providing a nice transition to the open sea.

• Like 5

Most housboat parcels are rectangle with neighbors pack so close to each other that you can laterally jump from one boat to another. I prefer square ones with more spaces between neighbors.  

Locations are also important. You are lucky if you can get a corner parcel next to a canal or public land.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 10:53 PM, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

The vast majority of houseboats are rectangles. I've always preferred the square ones.

I like the squares for the open spot of water that I can fit a boat and some watery decor into, and have what feels like wider sailing room to get in and out.

But I'm curious to see if we have anyone who has a counter preference for rectangles they could sell me on. It would be so much easier to find a "perfect spot" if I could see the appeal of a rectangle shaped houseboat - but I've not managed to convince myself.

For me it mostly depends on what style of houseboat I'm wanting to try, and what the local landscaping and parcel arrangement looks like.   On a square plot, the end window faces sideways, usually towards one of your neighbours. Sometimes, depending on whether you're at the end of a row or not, half of the styles will work and the other half won't. Usually though, none of them work well.

The advantage of a rectangular parcel is that the big window will always face the right way, regardless of which boat model you choose.

My current houseboat parcel is square and I'm using the Doc Holliday - it does have a big window at the end like the older styles, but on this particular parcel I'm at the end of a row and the big window overlooks some nice landscaping rather than a neighbour, so I'm happy with that. The Windlass, Knot Shore and Barnacle would also work well here  Other boats orient the opposite way round; the Wallower, Evening Star, Shore Thing or Jolly Roger, the big window faces my neighbour. So if I ever have a yearning to try one of those styles, I'd abandon the parcel and try for another.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.