Bellisseria and the Land Ban List

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

I was hoping this idea would die a natural death but I see it's will not. We've had people do this in Bellisseria and they get found when someone complains about an invisible barrier and not understanding what is happening... and they get returned for being a wall higher than 4m. What you're talking about is a ban line that is not technically a ban line the same way automatic parcel blacklist ban is not technically a parcel ban. 

if your goal is to keep people from walking onto your parcel by accident (or even on purpose) then I would think 4 meters is taller than is needed. I would think 2 M should be plenty tall enough.

I dont use it myself .. I am quite proud of how I decorated my home and landscaped my yard and welcome people to come take a look.

Honesty, I thought it was very clever of those prior neighbors to wall it off in a way that gave them privacy from uninvited guests but did not hamper the view at for anyone inside or outside.

I am a tad confused on what you are saying here. Are you saying that it violates the spirit of the covenant to have a transparent 2 M tall fence around your property, but a non-transparent fence is ok? Or are you saying that if someone chooses to have a transparent fence, they must keep it no taller than 4 M?

Edited by Teresa Firelight
clarified my question to abnor
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

I was hoping this idea would die a natural death but I see it's will not. We've had people do this in Bellisseria and they get found when someone complains about an invisible barrier and not understanding what is happening... and they get returned for being a wall higher than 4m. What you're talking about is a ban line that is not technically a ban line the same way automatic parcel blacklist ban is not technically a parcel ban. 

Thanks for responding to this situation. I thought the height of walls was limited so as not to block the view of others, and that an invisible barrier would be limited to 15 m (about the height of a 2-story house). I once reported such an invisible box in Belli, but only because it was over 15 m & I was trying to fly over it rather than flying around the parcel. I think in this case the box might have also been slightly bigger than the parcel, but I'm not sure now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

When I said Invisiprim, I actually meant a regular prim with an alpha texture (e.g transparent). I did not know there was a previous special type of object that no longer exists. I was not trying to refer to that... and if you hadn't said something, I would not have known that I had inadvertently misspoke.

Before we had mesh or alpha layers, invisiprims were prims with scripts in them that would hide objects, they were often used in prim or sculpted shoes to hide our ugly system feet. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, belindacarson said:

trouble is, this actually happens, self appointed keyboard warriors like we have on the forums, who think they can claim the  moral right to report a couple, or a few individuals enjoying themselves in the privacy of their SL homes.  This does make the mind boggle Abnor.

I bet @Abnor Mole knows what gets ARed far better than we residents do.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 5

• Moles
1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I bet @Abnor Mole know what gets ARed far better than we residents do.

Oh I'm sure there are people who will AR them, but my point is in 18 years I have never heard of anyone ever actually getting in any sort of serious trouble with Governance for something like that in their home in a moderate region. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Abnor Mole said:

Oh I'm sure there are people who will AR them, but my point is in 18 years I have never heard of anyone ever actually getting in any sort of serious trouble with Governance for something like that in their home in a moderate region. 

What about in their yard though, say for instance in a hot tub or on a picnic blanket? Asking for a friend. 😉 

• Haha 5

I use invisible prim walls all the time, to prevent visitors and my partner from walking off the edge of a sky platform. They also work great as barriers for roads and race tracks, since not every race vehicle in SL steers like a real car to say the least.  Not to mention the drivers.  I fail to see the problem with an invisible wall around your parcel in Belli, especially if it is near a roadway.  Why is this worse than triggering a security orb and causing an insecure and sensitive resident to panic?

To provide some warning, I would also plant edge bushes, or a low fence, and still add the invisible prim wall, since most mesh bushes are too easy to penetrate.  (Hmmn that's sounded bad.)

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

I think a prim to reinforce bush phyiscs does not count as invisible wall. But why would you want to do that?

Fast travel car vandals will run trough it quite easily but won't be able to escape back out after slowing down to reasonable speed... by then your orb ejected them ending their vehicular rampage. As a bonus slow and careful drivers won't be affected at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

I think a prim to reinforce bush phyiscs does not count as invisible wall. But why would you want to do that?

I've done invisble prims inside of objects like bushes or mesh walls just for my own self walking about. Some of those things have very bad physics / bounding or whatever it's called. I'll often put these inside a house as well - there's one right now where my kitchen object is because the mesh kitchen seems to have a completely random 'physical' shape so I had to set it to 'none' and put a transparent prim inside of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

there's one right now where my kitchen object is because the mesh kitchen seems to have a completely random 'physical' shape so I had to set it to 'none' and put a transparent prim inside of it.

Bring back prims! That's what I say :D

And while we're at it, having discussed this at length with a world-renowned expert on the subject, I've changed my mind about security devices in Bellisseria, and now I'm totally in favour of having one or two specially trained rottweilers or similar to savage intruders and make them wish they'd never set foot on the parcel or anywhere near it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I've done invisble prims inside of objects like bushes or mesh walls just for my own self walking about. Some of those things have very bad physics / bounding or whatever it's called. I'll often put these inside a house as well - there's one right now where my kitchen object is because the mesh kitchen seems to have a completely random 'physical' shape so I had to set it to 'none' and put a transparent prim inside of it.

If you can set the physics to None, then you should also be able to move, stretch or delete that prim. What's the point of having an invisible, phantom prim that does nothing?, unless it has a linkset # that affects the rest of the build?

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If you can set the physics to None, then you should also be able to move, stretch or delete that prim. What's the point of having an invisible, phantom prim that does nothing?, unless it has a linkset # that affects the rest of the build?

I don't think it is the prim that is phantom but the mesh or sculpty object with the weird bounding box that is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Yeah. :)

But not sculpty. I'd never use a sculpty. :)

Sculpties like those from Alitirum or Heart still hold their own against mesh options.

When looking for Palm tree clusters recently none of mesh options came close to my old Heart ones.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Fast travel car vandals will run trough it quite easily but won't be able to escape back out after slowing down to reasonable speed... by then your orb ejected them ending their vehicular rampage. As a bonus slow and careful drivers won't be affected at all.

If your house is directly in line with a race track, then I suppose a race car going 100m/sec might break thru a prim wall.  Try to build your house off the race track like normal people...

Invisible prim walls are used in most race tracks, because the car or bike hit the wall at a glancing angle and should bounce off, and not penetrate.

I have not seen anyone driving a race vehicle on the quiet streets of Belli.  If that is your experience, then stop doing it!   Slowing down and being careful with some cars and bikes?  That works great until you hit a region boundary and need to make a sharp turn.  I've hit security orbs riding a horse in Belli, going at the slowest trot possible - these things don't exactly handle like a skate board. 

Mainland is no different, except you have zero second warning orbs that eject you home and ban lines you can't see until it's too late to turn.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Sculpties like those from Alitirum or Heart still hold their own against mesh options.

When looking for Palm tree clusters recently none of mesh options came close to my old Heart ones.

Sculpties got a lot better when the viewers stopped rezzing them as large spheres until they had fully resolved.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm totally in favour of having one or two specially trained rottweilers or similar to savage intruders and make them wish they'd never set foot on the parcel or anywhere near it.

was a thing this once, guard dogs, kittens, rats, bees, hornets and lots of others that would do stuff to the intruder. All seems to have lessened these days in favor of the silent killer orbs

the funniest one I ever saw was a mother hen with little chicks in tow. The chicks would peck at the feet of the intruder making the avatar boing bounce a little bit, all the while going cheep! cheep! Was really annoying lol

and then if the intruder didn't get the message the hen would start to slam them going bawk! bawk! bawk!

and if the intruder tried to get clever by sitting, the chicks would swarm them peck peck peck cheep cheep cheep!! and the hen would stand on their head going, bawk! bawk! bawk!

was pretty funny

• Haha 9

On 8/15/2023 at 11:13 PM, sunnyskyz said:

"...Anxiety and fear are real and there are many of us in SL that have our own reasons to need our comfortable space.  An unwanted visitor can trigger the same response in SL as it does in RL and no, thats not anyone elses problem but my own.  However on land that I pay to rent with RL money, its none of anyone's business if I want my home to remain private and safe according to what I feel comfortable with.  When someone tp's into my home uninvited and tries to start a conversation I get the same physical symptoms as RL, why can't I have the security in knowing that won't happen while I'm logged in to get away from RL drama for a while? "

I am really sorry for you and I understand you have challenges in your life but you have at least 10 mainland continents and loads of private islands in SL where you can have this privacy. Just not in Bellisseria. It wouldn´t be a wise business decision to lock down the whole grid because some people feel they need security to this extent.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Always Incognito said:

I am really sorry for you and I understand you have challenges in your life but you have at least 10 mainland continents and loads of private islands in SL where you can have this privacy. Just not in Bellisseria. It wouldn´t be a wise business decision to lock down the whole grid because some people feel they need security to this extent.

It would however be an interesting idea to open another LindenHome continent where banlines are allowed. Or maybe not - because customers would mass-migrate leaving Belli deserted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

It would however be an interesting idea to open another LindenHome continent where banlines are allowed. Or maybe not - because customers would mass-migrate leaving Belli deserted.

This is an interesting idea. Should this be an urban ghetto theme where everyone has chainlink fences around their homes? or a gated community theme where they all have high-tech security systems?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

This is an interesting idea. Should this be an urban ghetto theme where everyone has chainlink fences around their homes? or a gated community theme where they all have high-tech security systems?

I have a high-tech security system that would be ideal for it :D

• Haha 4

I use invisible walls in my Bellisseria home because of my wandering kittycat, he is capable of passing through mesh walls.  There must be a background story to it, perhaps he had a mutation occur while the alien incursion occurred a few months ago, or it could just be tainted food that enabled this super power.  Prim walls are his kryptonite though, they keep him from leaving the house and chasing after the invisible birds (tainted birdseed?) 

For the moment, my kittycat has been suspended in a two dimensional state of existence though.  I swear, I need to read the reviews of kittycat food before I make my purchases.

• Haha 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.