LaraX?

Rowan Amore

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It was only Ebody or Reborn (Is it the same body?) 

Maybe.

eBody as a brand has two older bodies that show up often in old products - Curvy and Classic - same subnames as Gen.X uses. These are freebies I think, or are often given away on marketplace.

reBorn is the replacement to them. It's a bit 'mile wide in the rear' by default but you can dial that down. You just look extremely weird anytime you're not wearing the body - like in mid change or during a rez failure - because ya gotta dial it down a lot or you're using up ALL of the zip codes in Texas when you sit down.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Maybe a lot of newer creators are refusing to go down that alternative route though? there's a strong market for Legacy and Reborn, maybe it's an expression of annoyance and something of a protest at how they can't do things officially due to the silly gatekeeping of official dev kits?

Might be the same thing that originally knocked Belleza out them - having a dev kit that is hard to get is one thing when everyone wants your product, but another thing when there is even semi-decent competition.

Legacy and reBorn are both doing well enough that it's easy to say there are 3 "viable bodies" to pick from now if you want an easy time finding outfits. If I was a clothing maker and even 1 of these three brands made it easy for me to get a dev kit, I'd barely give the other two the time of day. That said I have no idea how easy it is to get a kit for any of them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Might be the same thing that originally knocked Belleza out them - having a dev kit that is hard to get is one thing when everyone wants your product, but another thing when there is even semi-decent competition.

Legacy and reBorn are both doing well enough that it's easy to say there are 3 "viable bodies" to pick from now if you want an easy time finding outfits. If I was a clothing maker and even 1 of these three brands made it easy for me to get a dev kit, I'd barely give the other two the time of day. That said I have no idea how easy it is to get a kit for any of them.

Reborn dev kit is easy to get and approvals are fast too. They have the right idea.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Reborn dev kit is easy to get and approvals are fast too. They have the right idea.

Legacy is fast these days too, and they've dropped that verification nonsense a couple years ago at least. I think only req. is that a creator first should rig something for their classic (free) bodies, and its dev kit is free for anyone to grab, then they check it and send creator a legacy dev kit. I'm not sure how long it takes now/lately, though, all creators I know had their for sometime by now.

I come to think of it, it is not only Maitreya that is dropped. I see a trend in new releases, drop all the free bodies, Belleza genX, but also M Petite, M Flat and even Legacy Perky.

Maybe the creators has rigged for so many bodies in a hope to see more sales, but found out that they sell the same if they only rig for the popular at the moment?

• Like 1

I think we'll see more shifts in which brands creators will rig for with the move many creators have made to selling clothing by body type.  As to which ones are supported, I'd say that will vary by creator, sometimes in surprising ways.  Like Salt & Pepper dropped Legacy but continues to carry other bodies that work better for their sales; conversely, Just Because is still rigging for Legacy because that works for their sales, etc.  (I know we're talking about Maitreya, but it's a specific difference in support I'm trying to highlight and this is the example at the forefront of what passes for my brain). 

For me, it's no biggie if a creator stops rigging for my preferred body.  Over a pretty decent span of time I've acquired Legacy (my current default; subject to change when LaraX is released), Maitreya, Reborn, GenX Classic and more, so I just wear the appropriate body for the outfit.  But that's me and my slight "problem" where I like playing with all the bodies as they're released :)  Not everyone is as into yelling at wildly divergent huds as I am.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
stupid commas
  • Like 1

I like selling by body type personally. Then I don't have to go in and delete everything for bodies I don't want/own. Haven't worn Maitreya in years, doubt I will when it is updated cause I never liked the shape. Reborn is my fave though I was wearing legacy for several years since it came out until about March of this year. But it makes sense to only rig for those that you have sales in that warrant the time and effort spent on rigging for it. Time is money and supporting an underdog body where you don't break even and could be doing something that makes money instead... I get it. I wouldn't do it either. Matter of fact when I was still creating I dropped Genus and Catwa real quick because the sales didn't warrant me making textures for them while Lelutka thrived.

• Like 1

There have been an enormous amount of body surveys conducted by stores floating around in Discord and on Flickr and some had voting kiosks in-store ever since Gen X released. Some creators came right out and said (within their surveys or socials) that they can no longer rig for 4, 5, sometimes 6 different bodies and included addons and needed to scale down. That's totally understandable. Our body system is rather...annoying that way.

Funny enough, I know of only one store that rigs clothes for just about every body (male and female) and addon under the sun (even Kupra flat) - though I'm not sure if she's even adopted Gen X or the Waifu addon yet. She did adopt Anatomy and CZ Slim, which many still haven't yet done. She, as far as I know, hasn't yet done a survey, but she does support as much as she can. Up to 9 or more fits per item these days.

I didn't recognize too many of the stores who ran surveys, but did submit a few surveys for ones I did occasionally shop in, or was likely to check out in the future. I have a lot of favorite shops already and none of them have really over-adopted too many bodies to handle in the first place (some still only do Maitreya and Legacy and don't do anything newer - likely for aesthetic reasons as their models are very thin), so I haven't seen much body-dropping action in my regular haunts.

And that's likely another consideration - if a store caters to a certain look, it really does make sense to only rig for bodies that fit their style, otherwise they'll go crazy trying to fit clothes on a bunch of different shapes. I never personally liked the curvy trend as the shapes don't really work for the kinds of avatars I create and I had a hell of a time playing with the demos (I make lots of undead things, mermaids, tall and lanky creatures, furries and fantasy avatars inspired by Classic Hollywood stars and style icons, etc.), so that could be why I rarely notice this trend. I don't often shop the general casual market unless for some bizarre reason I need a 12th pair of jeans. If you're shopping for evening wear, formal wear, fantasy clothing, 20s-60s vintage, boho, techwear, grunge, punk, tomboy/unisex, streetwear, futuristic fashion, wedding, etc., you won't find a shortage of Maitreya clothing at all.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

For me, it's no biggie if a creator stops rigging for my preferred body.  Over a pretty decent span of time I've acquired Legacy (my current default; subject to change when LaraX is released), Maitreya, Reborn, GenX Classic and more, so I just wear the appropriate body for the outfit.  But that's me and my slight "problem" where I like playing with all the bodies as they're released :)  Not everyone is as into yelling at wildly divergent huds as I am.

How do you manage a consistent look with so many bodies?
All those bodies have a different look and sures you can stretch that a bit, but onoly so far. With lara you can't get the curves that Kupra or Reborn have.

I'm not sures about the Lara X. On one hand I'm curious to see whut they changed. But will I use it if it means throwing out a lot of my clothes?

I have been eying Legacy for a bit. Not because I'm not happy with Lara anymore. Mainly because a friend keeps telling me how much betters Legacy is. Usually she is right. I have not tried a demo yet because switching would mean letting go of around 40% of my clothes.

And juggling with 2 bodies seems a lot of work.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChandraKusari said:

All those bodies have a different look and sures you can stretch that a bit, but onoly so far. With lara you can't get the curves that Kupra or Reborn have.

I'm not sures about the Lara X. On one hand I'm curious to see whut they changed. But will I use it if it means throwing out a lot of my clothes?

I have been eying Legacy for a bit. Not because I'm not happy with Lara anymore. Mainly because a friend keeps telling me how much betters Legacy is. Usually she is right. I have not tried a demo yet because switching would mean letting go of around 40% of my clothes.

My shape works with "The Big Three" (Legacy, Lara, and Reborn), probably because it doesn't go to any extremes. It's overall slender with some curve through the hips and thighs, which plays well with Legacy and Maitreya can emulate it well enough for my purposes.  My Reborn shape is also slender overall which is achieved via deformers in some areas; without them there's no way to get the backside down to a size in line with my general silhouette.  I will say my Reborn still has a bit more "junk in the trunk", but a) my avatar leans in that direction, and b) the only clothes I use it for are skirts or outfits which obfuscate that area, so any additional curviness isn't an issue. 

Kupra is an absolutely no for me.  It's not my aesthetic, and it won't work for how I generally look.  So if something were rigged only for Kupra, I'd wave goodbye and walk away.  I do have Khara, but thus far I haven't been able to shape that body how I want so I'm withholding judgment there, and only playing around with the body if I'm really really bored.  Plus my preferred skin creator hasn't released anything for Khara, which puts a bit of a damper on my desire to make it work.

GenX is a lovely body, and the hands are beautiful when animated properly; unfortunately, that starfishing issue isn't resolved even now.  That's also one reason I moved my male alt to Legacy.  I love the look of Jake for him, but those hands were a no, and the same applies for the GenX bodies.

Juggling multiple bodies really isn't an issue for me.  I don't even really see it as juggling because I have outfits saved of my base avatar in Legacy, Maitreya, and Reborn (in order of their frequency of use), and I just pick the correct base for the outfit I'm wanting to put together.  If the clothes are rigged for Legacy, I use that regardless of what other riggings are in the folder.  If they're not rigged for Legacy but there's a Maitreya rig, I'll use that one.  And if they're not rigged for Legacy or Maitreya, I'll use my Reborn. There's not as much thought in that decision-making process as it seems with it written out; it's pretty automatic.

Re: Legacy over Lara, it's a matter of individual preference. I like the look of Legacy best for myself, and the body skin my preferred creator made for it is, I think, her best work to date including more recent releases.  It's one thing that pushed me over in that direction, to be honest.  Lara has its own advantages such as reliability, ease of use, amazing nail applier support, a tremendous back catalogue of clothing, and a HUD that doesn't result in random bursts of profanity from yours truly.  It's all about what you prioritize.

That last bit is why I'm super psyched for LaraX.  If I can save on complexity and scripting (which are admittedly nightmarish with Legacy) but have more of the body shape I love, I'm here for it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChandraKusari said:

I demo'd Legacy, it's okay... I don't really see a reason to use it instead of Maitreya though. The HUD is all kinds of terrible though imo! I really, really hate 'web' interfaces in SL HUDs that are becoming so common. They just don't work well, maybe they'll improve but no signs of it happening. Maybe I approached it wrong though, I know people say you can just learn the chat commands etc to do things and this is a nice feature I do wish Maitreya had, say switching feet positions etc... that would be good to have a chat command for and I think Legacy does.

I was more interested in Legacy Perky though since it seemed to get wider support than Lara Petite but that has pretty much corrected itself now.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 9:23 AM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

The new reptilian fantasy Picasso skins have two shades I do like, but unless they have a version without the reptile details, I wouldn't need it.

I just picked up one of the "reptilian" skins in a shade to match a Pumec skin I got from the weekend sales. It comes as a plain skin, and the Reptilian details are an add-on. I had the same misgivings, but was happy to see that I could wear the skin without the details, since the shade I wanted wasn't part of the other Picasso Halloween shades. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Shiloh Lyric said:

I just picked up one of the "reptilian" skins in a shade to match a Pumec skin I got from the weekend sales. It comes as a plain skin, and the Reptilian details are an add-on. I had the same misgivings, but was happy to see that I could wear the skin without the details, since the shade I wanted wasn't part of the other Picasso Halloween shades. 

OMG that's such good news!!!!! Thanks for the update. I saw the Pumec face skins last weekend and demoed them in Iron and Phyton, both of which I loved, but I didn't actually get around to trying the reptilian Picasso body demos and all the photos only showed the reptilian details. It's great news that that's a tattoo layer/addon and not part of the actual skin itself. That opens up some more options in the future if I can find a way to manage that shine. Yay!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

OMG that's such good news!!!!! Thanks for the update. I saw the Pumec face skins last weekend and demoed them in Iron and Phyton, both of which I loved, but I didn't actually get around to trying the reptilian Picasso body demos and all the photos only showed the reptilian details. It's great news that that's a tattoo layer/addon and not part of the actual skin itself. That opens up some more options in the future if I can find a way to manage that shine. Yay!

If this true for the face skin also?

I'm looking for a face skin in those new colors that doesn't have the snake details baked in - and the demo Velour has for 'Anaconda' just has a baked in copy - wondering if it includes one without or not, or if anyone else sells that.

Where is the 'Pumec' face skin sold?

EDIT: Oh I see - Pumec is a skin brand (found it with inworld search). Gonna have to add these folks to my list - stuff looks nice there. Grabbed fatpacks for these.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

If this true for the face skin also?

I'm looking for a face skin in those new colors that doesn't have the snake details baked in - and the demo Velour has for 'Anaconda' just has a baked in copy - wondering if it includes one without or not, or if anyone else sells that.

Where is the 'Pumec' face skin sold?

EDIT: Oh I see - Pumec is a skin brand (found it with inworld search). Gonna have to add these folks to my list - stuff looks nice there. Grabbed fatpacks for these.

Yup! Pumec's weekend face skins were blank and free of reptile details.

14 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

This has NOTHING to do with Maitreya - sorry for the sidetrack. But Velour's new Python tone is perfect for Orcs and Goblins. And I think the Iron one might make a better Elf tone for me than their 'Dark Elf' one.

In past years the tones were 'too intense' for fantasy characters.

I was actually looking for something that would suit an older witch. I really, realllyyyyy wanted to go with a human skin for her, but the head I'm using just did NOT want to lean into "old mysterious woman who lives deep in the woods and is rumored to be a witch" territory and instead dove head first into RuPaul territory thanks to all of the overdone pre-applied makeup and contouring in all the wrong places on human skins combined with the head's very exaggerated angular features (big sigh), soOoOoO, against my better judgment, I decided to make her green. Dammit, lol.

The Phyton shade looked GREAT, but since I didn't know about the reptile bits being an add-on and the lack of a Maitreya version, I went with an ND/MD skin very near that shade instead and she looks SO good now - I just need to get her an aging kit I demoed the other day.

Anyway, yes, sorry for the derail. Maitreya. Maitreya makes some great fantasy characters. Yis yis. 👀

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Re: Legacy over Lara, it's a matter of individual preference. I like the look of Legacy best for myself, and the body skin my preferred creator made for it is, I think, her best work to date including more recent releases.  It's one thing that pushed me over in that direction, to be honest.  Lara has its own advantages such as reliability, ease of use, amazing nail applier support, a tremendous back catalogue of clothing, and a HUD that doesn't result in random bursts of profanity from yours truly.  It's all about what you prioritize.

That last bit is why I'm super psyched for LaraX.  If I can save on complexity and scripting (which are admittedly nightmarish with Legacy) but have more of the body shape I love, I'm here for it.

Have you checked out PUKI nails?

They are rigged for both Lara and Legacy. They are HUD driven and the basic pack has around 100 different colors/patters, methinks. Each upgrade has another 36 aaaand each weekend 2 upgrade packs are on sale. :)

Tbh I have not fiddled with my shape that much. lara is the first body I got when I switched from a freebie body. I didn't even do much with the shape that came with my first head (Logo). Twitched it a bits here and there. When I switched to EVO X I just copied the body shape to the new settings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChandraKusari said:

Have you checked out PUKI nails?

They are rigged for both Lara and Legacy. They are HUD driven and the basic pack has around 100 different colors/patters, methinks. Each upgrade has another 36 aaaand each weekend 2 upgrade packs are on sale. :)

Tbh I have not fiddled with my shape that much. lara is the first body I got when I switched from a freebie body. I didn't even do much with the shape that came with my first head (Logo). Twitched it a bits here and there. When I switched to EVO X I just copied the body shape to the new settings.

I looked at them when I was trying to find more options for Legacy before their nail applier support existed (which is now small, but helpful).  I prefer a very natural nail length 99% of the time, and Puki's version of short is... not.  I wish someone would release a shorter set of add-on nails, but until then we do what we can with the nails in the body as it stands.

Regarding shape, that's something I tweak endlessly; it entertains me :)  Before I got Legacy, I liked to experiment with pushing Lara to see how much I could emulate a very curvy appearance without triggering some of its innate issues (the breast enlargement issue is a major one), and with fine slider adjustments you can do a lot with it.  Not as much as with bodies with different rigging, but it's malleable to a certain value thereof.  I didn't keep that shape, but it was fun to see what I could do.  Reborn is another challenge I enjoy. It's not at all impossible to get it more slender overall with sliders alone, and with deformers it can be shaped very similarly Lara and Legacy; the difference is only minutely distinguishable under a tunic, dress, or gown. 

Hopefully the LaraX release will make all of us as happy as we're hoping to be in terms of shape, rigging, etc.  I can't wait to get my hands on it and play :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I looked at them when I was trying to find more options for Legacy before their nail applier support existed (which is now small, but helpful).  I prefer a very natural nail length 99% of the time, and Puki's version of short is... not.  I wish someone would release a shorter set of add-on nails, but until then we do what we can with the nails in the body as it stands.

Regarding shape, that's something I tweak endlessly; it entertains me :)  Before I got Legacy, I liked to experiment with pushing Lara to see how much I could emulate a very curvy appearance without triggering some of its innate issues (the breast enlargement issue is a major one), and with fine slider adjustments you can do a lot with it.  Not as much as with bodies with different rigging, but it's malleable to a certain value thereof.  I didn't keep that shape, but it was fun to see what I could do.  Reborn is another challenge I enjoy. It's not at all impossible to get it more slender overall with sliders alone, and with deformers it can be shaped very similarly Lara and Legacy; the difference is only minutely distinguishable under a tunic, dress, or gown. 

Hopefully the LaraX release will make all of us as happy as we're hoping to be in terms of shape, rigging, etc.  I can't wait to get my hands on it and play :D

I'm super picky about the length and shape of my nails as well. After I switched Debi to Legacy Perky, I looked and looked for add-on nails that looked like what I consider to be naturally shaped nails, with basically no luck whatsoever. I was really happy though to see an ad for a nail on a Saturday Sale flyer that looked more "normal" and decided to stop by and try out the demo. I was very surprised to find what I consider the perfect nail. 

nails.thumb.jpg.8e56f11eb3d847240de0b3adb2997e64.jpg

These nails are from :CAZIMI:

Since buying that first set, I watch the Saturday Sale often for more HUDs. I've got a nice collection now. Hopefully soon, I'll be using my collection of Cazimi nails on my Lara X Petite!

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I'm super picky about the length and shape of my nails as well. After I switched Debi to Legacy Perky, I looked and looked for add-on nails that looked like what I consider to be naturally shaped nails, with basically no luck whatsoever. I was really happy though to see an ad for a nail on a Saturday Sale flyer that looked more "normal" and decided to stop by and try out the demo. I was very surprised to find what I consider the perfect nail. 

[snipped picture]

Since buying that first set, I watch the Saturday Sale often for more HUDs. I've got a nice collection now.

Yes, I have those and they're lovely :)  I'll wear them for special functions, but for me that's still really long.  In RL I was once upon a time a musician (violin and piano) so for me, short is "does not extend beyond the tip of the finger" and the only nails I've found in SL that meet that criteria are the nails already on the body, like in this picture.

Short Nails.png

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Yes, I have those and they're lovely :)  I'll wear them for special functions, but for me that's still really long.  In RL I was once upon a time a musician (violin and piano) so for me, short is "does not extend beyond the tip of the finger" and the only nails I've found in SL that meet that criteria are the nails already on the body, like in this picture.

Short Nails.png

My RL nails are never longer than this, so I totally get it. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Short Nails.png

I'm the same. Those that @Blush Bravin showed were about the limit of long for me ... very pretty and all, don't get me wrong, and lovely for really dressed up ... but for me just past fingertip is about the prettiest every day length I tend to wear. Nails are also something weirdly I've never customized (that and eyelashes), I just go with the stock ones on the Lara body.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 5:46 PM, AmeliaJ08 said:

I demo'd Legacy, it's okay... I don't really see a reason to use it instead of Maitreya though. The HUD is all kinds of terrible though imo! I really, really hate 'web' interfaces in SL HUDs that are becoming so common. They just don't work well, maybe they'll improve but no signs of it happening. Maybe I approached it wrong though, I know people say you can just learn the chat commands etc to do things and this is a nice feature I do wish Maitreya had, say switching feet positions etc... that would be good to have a chat command for and I think Legacy does.

I was more interested in Legacy Perky though since it seemed to get wider support than Lara Petite but that has pretty much corrected itself now.

I bought Legacy Perky in a sale some years ago. I think I was a bit brainwashed by all the "Maitreya-shoulder-haters", but when I really looked at the bodies on my sky platform, I was going hmmm... Is that so different?

Then I saw somebody post about deformers, and I got one that bring the shoulders down a tiny bit on Maitreya. It looks natural.

Oh well, I have wasted much more money on things I buy and don't use. I get carried away.

The Gen X Belleza body was looking better than Maitreya. I was really tempted to buy it, it was more details I saw was different from Maitreya. But since the price was so high, I decided to wait and see how many creators that rig... and it was not many.

The Lara X is supposed to come out before Black Friday... I had mixed up the months and thought it was Black Friday in the end of this month. Sigh, it is the next month. More waiting....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

nails.thumb.jpg.8e56f11eb3d847240de0b3adb2997e64.jpg

Since buying that first set, I watch the Saturday Sale often for more HUDs. I've got a nice collection now. Hopefully soon, I'll be using my collection of Cazimi nails on my Lara X Petite!

Oooh they look goodies.
I need to check them out.
I actually like PUKI, but I agree they are a a bit to long. I use the midi size and even that is a bit to long for my taste. 10% shorter and I would be more happy.