SecondLifeTime

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

... with a required login every year, it should be mentioned before signing up. Those things are not easy to change later.

Yet another reason to include such "escape" construction for the company IMHO.
Changing policies afterwards is difficult if not impossible

• Like 1

Someone here suggested that, since the L$500s remained through account type changes, it's unlikely, but I hope you get a definitive answer to that, Argent. You could apply for a lifetime account with the proviso that you keep the L$500/wk, but not if you don't. That's assuming there's a space to write something in the application form.

Personal update
I mentioned earlier that I was tempted to go for a lifetime account, and I really was. I could easily have done it right then, even though I have no particular use for it. A couple of hours have passed since then, during which I've been busy increasing the storage of the sd card in my Raspberry Pi (it's my main desktop) without losing any of the data from the original, and my temptation has faded away :). In any case, it's better I don't take one of the available slots when there may be people who really want one but the slots have run out. I'm a bit of a hero, really :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Argent Stonecutter said:

And they locked the other thread right after I asked this:

If you have a grandfathered legacy account with a L$500 stipend, will your lifetime account still have a L$500 stipend?

as the stipends are still mentioned on the knowledgebase page there's no different answer to expect as the situation is now. If there was, there should be a exemption mentioned, and there isn't.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Argent Stonecutter said:

If you have a grandfathered legacy account with a L$500 stipend, will your lifetime account still have a L$500 stipend?

Yes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9

I'm tempted except for two doubts in my mind.

Will SL itself still exist in 7 years?

Will I still be interested in SL in 7 years? I've had periods of time before where I didnt log in for 3-4 years, if that happens again it would be 10-11 years before I break even with this. What if an amazing new thing comes along before then, thats better than SL, and thats where I prefer to be? (No, not Meta, don't be daft).

I'll be 60 in 7 years. 63 in ten. Maybe I won't be interested in this sort of thing at all by then.

So, no. I'll let people more keen than me grab a slot instead. 

• Like 5

I looked though the FAQ and didn't see if the new Lifetime accounts would get additional land tier to the 1024 for regular premium already got. The OG Lifetimes got like 4096 in free tier. It would be nice if the new Lifetimes get a bump up to  2048.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I looked though the FAQ and didn't see if the new Lifetime accounts would get additional land tier to the 1024 for regular premium already got. The OG Lifetimes got like 4096 in free tier. It would be nice if the new Lifetimes get a bump up to  2048.

You can have that, it is the premium plus LifeTime plan. Still cheaper than a ticket for the Wimbledon finals day on Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I'm tempted except for two doubts in my mind.

Will SL itself still exist in 7 years?

Will I still be interested in SL in 7 years? I've had periods of time before where I didnt log in for 3-4 years, if that happens again it would be 10-11 years before I break even with this. What if an amazing new thing comes along before then, thats better than SL, and thats where I prefer to be? (No, not Meta, don't be daft).

I'll be 60 in 7 years. 63 in ten. Maybe I won't be interested in this sort of thing at all by then.

So, no. I'll let people more keen than me grab a slot instead. 

Ask me when I hit 73 in 10 years. lol

Up until about 10 years ago I would still have jumped at the chance for an SL lifetime if I could have afforded it. But at the prices I'm seeing now, knowing it would likely have been higher back then, I still wouldn't have been able to afford that much all at once. I barely managed to fork over the $299USD (might have been $199) for an STO* lifetime back then. That is the most expensive one I've ever paid for and it was on sale!

So, nope, not ever happening for me. 😒

*Star Trek Online 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

It seemed the explanation was:

- Lifetime gets normal 1024 tier - like Premium

- Lifetime Plus gets 2048 tier - like Premium Plus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

... but the slots have run out. I'm a bit of a hero, really :D

If I understand Phil correctly the available slots are already filled.
So where are we still discussing about?
🤣

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Confused 1

This is just crazy.  Who in their right mind would fall for this? There is no guarantee that SL will be around in 10 years let alone 5 years. But people are going to fork out 2G for the possibility they might? Damn I wish I had that kind of money to piss away an a probability. Talk about gaming... 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Argent Stonecutter said:

Good god. Argent? HERE?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

If I understand Phil correctly the available slots are already filled.
So where are we still discussing about?
🤣

No, he said:

5 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

n any case, it's better I don't take one of the available slots when there may be people who really want one but the slots have run out. I'm a bit of a hero, really :D

In this case, I think Phil meant "..it's better I don't take one of the available slots when there may be people who really want one but [they cannot get one IF] the slots have run out."

Meaning, Phil is a hero if he does not cause someone else to be disappointed in the case that the slots run out because Phil took a slot.

You're teasing, right? 

I know Phil tries to tie us up in knots with his grammar, so that there is no possible way anyone could ever say he was "wrong" about anything! 🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Good god. Argent? HERE?

He might have noticed that I'm around here too for a while already again, without being shot, hanged or electrocuted  😁

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

He might have noticed that I'm around here too for a while already again, without being shot, hanged or electrocuted  😁

Give us time, Sid.

It's not easy collecting enough tar and feathers to do the job properly.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

At the end of the day, who cares. It's not for everyone. There will be some people who will find it more beneficial for them. 

I agree, I think the prices in itself are totally reasonable, I had expected them to be even a bit higher.
People can only discuss what they personally expected, would have done differently etc.
But in the end it is simply take it or leave it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In this case, I think Phil meant "..it's better I don't take one of the available slots when there may be people who really want one but [they cannot get one IF] the slots have run out."

I know Phil tries to tie us up in knots with his grammar, so that there is no possible way anyone could ever say he was "wrong" about anything! 🙂 

If I'd put a comma between "...really want one" and "but they cannot get...", then it would have meant what Sid, who is a non-native English speaker, understood. In other words, my grammar was correct as it gave the meaning that was meant ;)

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.