SLB20 Opening Ceremony Lab Gab - Announcements?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If there comes a moment that SL will not longer be affordable for me in the future, so be it. That is no reason for me to shell out a vast amount now for things that could be in the future.
I will start to concentrate on one of my other hobbies from the past, that I've been neglecting because of SL in that case.
Leisure time can be filled in so many ways. A pencil or my watercolors set and a few sheets of paper are enough for hours worth of fun for me for instance.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 9

I do not think it is bad to have more subscription levels, instead of trying to stuff in lots of perks in a very expensive subscription.

The PPlus was too costly for me, maybe the houses will lure me in. Maybe.

I could like a subscription pack with only the 2048m land or house and the same number of groups as Premium. Stipend a little higher than Premium. No need for free uploads, Speedlight, cheap name change etc etc. The subscription price between Premium and PPlus.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I am, quite frankly, not sure that SL has 10 years left.

That is my worry, to pay now and think SL will last many more years. I pay a large amount and think that after year 5, I live SL for free. Land and stipend, the good retirement plan.

What if SL has only 3 years left... The world economy is very frightning. Can a leisure activity as SL survive? Especially if we start to shop less, we do not rent large plots of land, we abandon what we have of mainland and move to a tiny skybox. LL need the income from land and shopping.

Things like games and virtual worlds are more likely to survive even through the current/upcoming economy issues. While they are from being essential, like food and bills, they are cheaper than traditional hobbies (cinema/movies, most rl sports, art and so on). A movie night with a family of 3 can cost up to 100$ for 3 tickets, foods and drinks, and that's just 2-3 hours.

it probably does vary per country as mentality is different around different parts of the world, but through our local crises over last decades that I had a "pleasure" to experience the home hobbies like books, games and what not always did better because they are simply cheaper and more accessable. it's the bars, cafes, sport clubs and other stuff that did suffer through them the most.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I do not think it is bad to have more subscription levels, instead of trying to stuff in lots of perks in a very expensive subscription.

The PPlus was too costly for me, maybe the houses will lure me in. Maybe.

I could like a subscription pack with only the 2048m land or house and the same number of groups as Premium. Stipend a little higher than Premium. No need for free uploads, Speedlight, cheap name change etc etc. The subscription price between Premium and PPlus.

I guess that is the problem with offering different packages, almost everyone has different ideas about them.
I for instance am not looking for higher stipends, because my store makes enough to cover my SL expenses most of the time and I'm not in it to cashing out to RL. Free uploads would be fine, but that doesn't justify Premium Plus for me.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

If there comes a moment that SL will not longer be affordable for me in the future, so be it.
I will start to concentrate on one of my other hobbies from the past, that I've been neglecting because of SL.
Leisure time can be filled in so many ways. A pencil or my watercolors set and a few sheets of paper are enough for hours worth of fun for me for instance.

I have already started to use the library. If the price of a lifetime subscription will be 1000 US, I can get a brand new Janome mylock 644d for much less than that, and a used one in very good condition for half. I still have all my quilt rulers and mats up in the attic, plus an ordinary sewing machine, a Janome Easy Jeans. I have lots of fabric laying around... cotton, fleece and even a bit of silk.

SL was a very fine hobby when I had small kids. Now I can roll out a project on the floor and leave it there to the next day, not having to pack up everything after an hour.

The joy I get from SL depends upon how much land I have in SL, and if I can buy the latest landscaping packs from Skye and all the things I want without giving it a thought. It could easy go 50 US a week.

Living without land and only pick up gifts... naa... Free SL is not so enjoyable as SL with money to burn.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Living without land and only pick up gifts... naa... Free SL is not so enjoyable as SL with money to burn.

I like decorating too at times. I have a 4096m parcel where I have my private building platform. On ground floor level I decorate and redecorate, mostly in the periods that I have no drive to build something. "Writers block""  happens a lot in other creative fields too. I know an established RL painter who has the same problem. Sometimes weeks or months without any inspiration at all. Inspiration comes and goes. Totally unpredictable.

SL without personal land?  Nah, not really interesting. I agree.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

I don't think now is the time for ll to introduce a lifetime anything. For one-they still haven't fulfilled their obligations regarding the premium plus. This just shows poor forward thinking and planning on their part. I think them rolling out the pp package-and the discussions about other packages that cater to individuals-was supposed to be some sort of pacifier while also filling a need-perceived or real-for investors. I don't think it worked as well as they thought it would or as some people think it did. I can understand why they did it because investors often think more in financial terms than functional-but I think they went about it wrong and that's starting to show. 

Releasing even the idea of the possibility of another new package-lifetime-is just going to fuel the fire under people already mad they haven't made good on existing promises. It won't entice people for very long even if the immediate response is partly positive. People will quickly realize that ll doesn't make good on their word-and it will backfire. I've seen it happen time after time in the real world. People-some-are actually getting at least a little bit more frugal and responsible with how they spend their money. More people want what they think is their money worth-and not just the enjoyment from something new. More people expect better and more from companies-and put up with a little less bs. More people are vocal about this too. If ll can't really make good on the more and better they promise-it's time to stop making even the idea of a promise a reality.

I hope ll proves me wrong-I don't think they will and it's not because I always think I'm right but because I have experience with companies that end up going defunct for doing the same thing. We just acquired one last week and watching it go from a promising company to nothing more than an asset for some other company-from the outside-is both fascinating and also a bit sad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Pretty sure the 2048 LH are going to be  previewed during SLB20. And the release must be shortly.

About premium for life, like I said, all depends on price and land (and more than a LH). 

I've been here for more than 15 years now. The sky is falling and SL is dead is something I saw predicted lots of times. Yet, still going, way better than when I joined. 

Happy birthday SL, hoping for more 20.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would just like to say that having sweepstakes exclusively for US people is kind of a let down to everyone else that uses and spends their money on SL but happens to live elsewhere. Thank you. Be well. ♥

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

What surprises me, is that there are parcels ready for 2048 m homes in the new Welcome Hub. 

I do not remember where I read it, but can the PPlus homes be revealed later in the celebration? Next week? Have LL done it before with a theme?

What I can remember, is that the word "soon" was not used about the houses. They used very convoluted language. "The houses may at best come late in 2022". (Not a quote, but as I understood the PPlus benefits) Since then, LL have not even hinted about a possible date for the houses.

I am too careful with my money to give over a cent before I see them and can decide if they are worth it. If I buy PPlus, the homes will be the main reason. 

Agreed about the wording as I took what they said to me "Fall" which was a few months down the road.  

I looked through my blog posts and those suggest that they have NOT shown the demos later  at the birthday celebration.  But my memory is foggy.   AHHH but looking at the map I see an empty sim with ocean on both sides. Then I remembered the Stilt homes reveal where I stood on the sim where they "would" be.  The stilt homes were revealed on the 23rd.  

https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2020/06/stilt-homes-for-belliseria.html

Premium Plus was announced a bit over a year ago now. I found that post too. Good to have that "diary" when I want to check my memories.  

So yes, there is still hope!!!!!

image.thumb.png.bcd878fce6faa5ebe06aeb0d5e78b15b.png

My best guess.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SLB Enchant/13/128/23

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunamyx said:

I would just like to say that having sweepstakes exclusively for US people is kind of a let down to everyone else that uses and spends their money on SL but happens to live elsewhere. Thank you. Be well. ♥

I think that car will be heavily sponsored by the manufacturer.
It is well possible that it was one of their demands that the car has to be for the USA market exclusively for publicity reasons.
And.... when the car would be won outside the US that would mean an awful lot of extra hassle.
That car is made for the US market and when it would be won by someone let's say in Germany the car needs to apply to all the German rules for cars. That could easily mean that it has to be altered on dozens of points before it is allowed on the German roads. And then there is the point of warranty. Chevrolet is no big brand in Europe for instance. Here in NL it has no official dealerships left. And the car would have to be shipped across the world as well.
So I can totally see why LL decided or was forced to make it USA residents only.
Bad luck for us non Americans, but hey, a lifetime free premium membership is a cool prize too.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Giveaways and sweepstakes have a lot of regulations even within the US. I've seen some that even I couldn't participate in (state laws vary and there are often exclusions).

True!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tary Allen said:

Pretty sure the 2048 LH are going to be  previewed during SLB20. And the release must be shortly.

About premium for life, like I said, all depends on price and land (and more than a LH). 

I've been here for more than 15 years now. The sky is falling and SL is dead is something I saw predicted lots of times. Yet, still going, way better than when I joined. 

Happy birthday SL, hoping for more 20.

Totally agree ❤️  Plus, that old adage....best things come to those who wait, or something like that :P  I, too, would have liked it to be sooner, and thought it would be, but I have no doubt it's going to be great when released!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I do not remember where I read it, but can the PPlus homes be revealed later in the celebration? Next week? Have LL done it before with a theme?

Stilts and fantasy both appeared after the event was open to the public. The new theme is on the map in the final location. Pessimist I may be, but when something is literally there, it's not about hope and stuff. It exists. Once a theme gets to that point, it's not long until the final release.

Opening speeches are just that. Most big announcements and details come at the later talk events. It's really weird that people are acting like the opening speech is the only time things can be announced, so clearly that's it. No more announcements. They're just going to leave the ready-to-release theme until next year. This is just not very likely.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

And.... when the car would be won outside the US that would mean an awful lot of extra hassle.
That car is made for the US market and when it would be won by someone let's say in Germany the car needs to apply to all the German rules for cars. 

LL may have gotten a good deal on this car because the Chevy Bolt is being discontinued this year, in favor of a new, larger EV (Equinox) to be introduced this fall.  [Tho it's had its problems, the Bolt is a rare affordable EV and many are saddened to see it go.]  And yes, European versions of GM EVs are usual different models than the US version. Chevy has nearly zero presence in the EU right now, I believe they're hoping to return with a new generation of EVs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

LL may have gotten a good deal on this car because the Chevy Bolt is being discontinued this year, in favor of a new, larger EV (Equinox) to be introduced this fall.  [Tho it's had its problems, the Bolt is a rare affordable EV and many are saddened to see it go.]  And yes, European versions of GM EVs are usual different models than the US version. Chevy has nearly zero presence in the EU right now, I believe they're hoping to return with a new generation of EVs.

Regardless of other discounts and sales, you'd hope LL gets a discount on the price of the car because of the "free publicity" (advertising) for GM and the Chevy Volt.

On 6/22/2023 at 4:06 PM, Rowan Amore said:

So are they lowering the price of.premium and premium plus?  

It says this...

First Prize (1): A Sponsor selected membership one (1) year Premium Plus subscription membership. The ARV of the First Prize is USD $99.

Daily Prizes (14 – one per day): A Sponsor-selected membership A one (1) year Premium subscription membership. The ARV of each Daily Prize is USD $66.

Thank you for pointing that out @Rowan Amore and for the discussion @LittleMe Jewell & @Gabriele Graves .

We're thrilled about everyone’s enthusiasm for the SL20B National and Global Sweepstakes! We wanted to share a little hiccup (no shenanigans, promise 😅) we encountered with the Approximate Retail Value in US Dollars (“ARV”) section of the Global Sweepstakes.

Two values for our exciting prizes for the Global Sweepstakes were inadvertently listed as:

“First Prize (1): A Sponsor selected membership one (1) year Premium Plus subscription membership. The ARV of the First Prize is USD $99. Daily Prizes (14 – one per day): A Sponsor-selected membership A one (1) year Premium subscription membership. The ARV of each Daily Prize is USD $66.”

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. The good news is that we've revised and increased those prize values to the following:

“First Prize (1): A Sponsor selected membership of one (1) year Premium Plus subscription membership. The ARV of the First Prize is USD $249. Daily Prizes (14 – one per day): A Sponsor-selected membership of one (1) year Premium subscription membership. The ARV of each Daily Prize is USD $99.”

If, by any chance, you'd prefer to stick with the original, lower value (though we can't imagine why), we'd be more than happy to accommodate you 😏

Please check below for the updated official rules which details the above changes: https://secondlife.com/sweepstakes/sl20b-global-sweepstakes#rules

Thank you for your understanding and your continued participation. Good luck to everyone!

Darcy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 11

11 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I think that car will be heavily sponsored by the manufacturer.
It is well possible that it was one of their demands that the car has to be for the USA market exclusively for publicity reasons.
That car is made for the US market and when it would be won by someone let's say in Germany the car needs to apply to all the German rules for cars. That could easily mean that it has to be altered on dozens of points before it is allowed on the German roads. And then there is the point of warranty. Chevrolet is no big brand in Europe for instance. Here in NL it has no official dealerships left. And the car would have to be shipped across the world as well.
So I can totally see why LL decided or was forced to make it USA residents only.
Bad luck for us non Americans, but hey, a lifetime free premium membership is a cool prize too.

when the sponsor is that big it can be sure of delivery in the whole US, i'm pretty sure they will manage to let a local cardealer do the same in Europe.. no hassle about special requirements at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

when the sponsor is that big it can be sure of delivery in the whole US, i'm pretty sure they will manage to let a local cardealer do the same in Europe.. no hassle about special requirements at all.

In NL for instance every imported car has to pass RDW tests first, than there are the tax matters (You are Dutch too so BPM should ring a bell). the shipment costs (I don't think the car is on the market here), the maintenance problems afterwards because Chevy has no huge network of car dealers in Europe at the moment.

And there is of course that publicity thingy. They want that in the USA, that's where they sell their cars, not somewhere where Chevy is one of the exotics.  If Renault, Peugeot or Opel were the car sponsor, they would like to have a winner in Europe.

And then there is the different sweepstakes rules in each single country. Some are very strickt about prices, taxes for the winner, permits and what not. When did you see the last sweepstakes in NL? That has a reason: Very strict rules.
If I understand it correctly there are even states in the USA where there are ristrictions for the people who live there and enter the SL20B sweepstakes.

We simply have bad luck. Their circus, their show, their rules.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Emissions tests plus crash tests? 
How about explody tests?

No extra crash tests needed, but it can be about many things. Like parts that are not registered for the European market, head lights that are too far apart, too high, too whatever, bumper types that are not allowed,  the list can be endless.
Even European brands make specially tweaked cars for some countries in Europe, if needed.

It is the same reason why a lot of European cars never hit the American market, not that they are not safe, but the rules and regulations are simply too different. And when you only sell in small numbers, that is not worth the hassle.
It is not for nothing that Ford for instance has their own European car models, manufactured in Europe.
GM had their Opel line of cars on the European continent and Vauxhall in the UK.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

No extra crash tests needed, but it can be about many things. Like parts that are not registered for the European market, head lights that are too far apart, too high, too whatever, bumper types that are not allowed,  the list can be endless.
Even European brands make specially tweaked cars for some countries in Europe, if needed.

It is the same reason why a lot of European cars never hit the American market, not that they are not safe, but the rules and regulations are simply too different. And when you only sell in small numbers, that is not worth the hassle.
It is not for nothing that Ford for instance has their own European car models, manufactured in Europe.
GM had their Opel line of cars on the European continent and Vauxhall in the UK.

The easiest comparison is that California has different requirements for cars than the rest of the US.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.