"SL20B Is Open - and you can win in our biggest giveaway ever"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I received an interesting email with Subject line, "SL20B is open - and you can win in our biggest giveaway ever!".

Apparently, LL is giving away a car. 

All I care about is the lovely picture of @Patch Linden!

Link to official post: 

faint.png

Full text of the email: (I left out the links)

Join the Party at SL20B!

Second Life is celebrating its 20th birthday and the Internet’s largest virtual world party is now open! Join the festivities this year and explore over 61 regions filled with parties, live music, deejay performances, special events, exhibits, gifts, and shopping!

Head on over to the SL20B Welcome Area and start your exploration now!

Big Celebration, Big Prizes!

Our biggest giveaway ever! Visit the SL20B welcome area and look for the National and Global contest kiosks to win one of many huge prizes! Qualifying U.S. residents can win a brand new Chevrolet Bolt EV car or a high-end ASUS computer in the physical world. 

Global community members can win one of several special prizes including daily giveaways of One-Year Premium Second Life Subscriptions and more!

The Future of Second Life

Learn more about future plans for Second Life directly from executives, product operations, marketing, engineering, and moles via a series of special Lab Gab Q&A events from June 26th to 30th. 

Watch them all at the SL20B Arboretum or on the Second Life YouTube Channel

=================

I initially out the first and third pictures from the same email:

faint2.png

faint3.png

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

ehm ..

Qualifying U.S. residents can win a brand new Chevrolet Bolt EV car or a high-end ASUS computer

Global community members can win one of several special prizes including daily giveaways of One-Year Premium Second Life Subscriptions and more!

quite a difference for where you might live ...
Take a sponsor that gives something to your residents, no matter where.

( a premium even lifetime costs nothing LL.... you never understood you have clients from allover the world .. not in your first year and not in this 20th)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 10

At least from the view of a casual observer, this SL Birthday is by far the best organized event I've seen in SL. It's a little early to pop the champagne corks just yet, but so far I'm really impressed. One example: Every birthday has needed a comprehensive directory of exhibitors* and for the first time in my memory, this Birthday actually has one.

As a Canadian, I'm not eligible for the car, but I wouldn't especially want it anyway. Also they'd have to buy it here to get a Canada-equipped model, and find lawyers who could vet the contest against each province's unique rules about lotteries and taxation, assuming there's some way it could legally operate at all.

Still… doesn't it all feel a little too good? That's paranoid, but I can't shake this image of a post-Birthday board meeting where they review the metrics and wonder why that's all there is, having pulled out all the stops to promote the platform.

But 'til then, I'm sold. It's gonna be the best Birthday ever!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

Still… doesn't it all feel a little too good? That's paranoid, but I can't shake this image of a post-Birthday board meeting where they review the metrics and wonder why that's all there is, having pulled out all the stops to promote the platform.

I can see them actually making an appropriate effort for the 20th Birthday. Mostly that requires a lot of advanced planning, resources, etc.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

ehm ..

quite a difference for where you might live ...
Take a sponsor that gives something to your residents, no matter where.

( a premium even lifetime costs nothing LL.... you never understood you have clients from allover the world .. not in your first year and not in this 20th)

Agreed, Alwin. And not only that, US residents also get to enter the global sweepstakes, so they get the opportunity for both lots of prizes.

• Like 4

If I win the car, I’m totally keeping it. I’ll tell people I got it in ‘that crazy online game I play’, and that ‘they sent it to me in the Real World’. 
‘What Could Possibly Go Wring?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think the car thing is limited to the US due to the silly laws around the planet regarding issuance of prizes.  A few years ago a MMO my man was playing was offering iPhones and stuff to top winners.  But didn't happen when the game publisher ran into legal issues on sending phones to many countries.  They ended up awarding game currency to the winners.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Spiffy Voxel said:

That picture of @Patch Linden in a slit dress... can never be unseen. O.O

Patch should apply to be a presenter on the Price is Right!  I can see the announcer saying "And you can win a new Chevy Bolt!  The car has blah blah blah."  "Also today we introduce our newest prize presenter --- Patch Linden!"

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Forgot a "
  • Haha 2

On 6/23/2023 at 3:25 PM, Spiffy Voxel said:

That picture of @Patch Linden in a slit dress... can never be unseen. O.O

I thought that was a great photo of Patch, it reminded me of Wheel of Fortune - it's not Price is Right where the model has a short dress, but Wheel of Fortune where she's in a long dress.

The Lindens never really acknowledge trans people in their corporate get-ups although their are trans Lindens in RL. So Patch in drag is about as close as it gets to a nod to the trans community, it seems to me, and I applaud.

Yes, I might never have tried the contest if Patch didn't put me in the Wheel of Fortune mood!

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Please explain why your company advertises the National Sweepstake in German. So you went through all the pain to translate the information text just to tell me I'm not allowed in? Have you - even for one brief moment -  considered the message you imply?

@Patch Linden

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Please explain why your company advertises the National Sweepstake in German. So you went through all the pain to translate the information text just to tell me I'm not allowed in? Have you - even for one brief moment -  considered the message you imply?

@Patch Linden

• Not every resident in the U.S. speaks English, it is a hugely diverse country.  There are 49 million people who claim German ancestry in the US.
  • The information describing contest rules etc. is provided by the company running the Sweepstakes, not LL.   

I have no idea what message you think is implied by the presence of a German translation.  To me, the message is:  the company running the Sweepstakes also has German-speaking customers.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:
  • The information describing contest rules etc. is provided by the company running the Sweepstakes, not LL.   

who is a partner or hired by LL, who keeps ignoring a lot other clients, paying and contributing equally. As i said earlier.. that will never change, is it a typical USA view on things?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see the inequity, and I have no idea why LL makes the decisions they do.  Nor can I speak for the "typical USA view", so far as I can tell there is no such thing as a single "typical USA view" on most topics.  I can only offer things I know to be true, and personal observations.

A couple of personal observations:

• Personally, I think LL is not exactly swimming in money nowadays.  It is clear that most online businesses were hit harder than they anticipated by the end of pandemic restrictions.  LL has exactly one job opening at the moment, which is not typical for them.
  • Imagine that it is Christmas time.  You are standing in a group of people waiting to cross a street.  A convertible pulls up next to you and a guy dressed as Santa Claus jumps out.  He gives the guy standing next to you 200 euros, jumps back in the car and roars away.  You may feel peeved, but in reality you are no worse off than you were 2 minutes ago.

I am quite certain that I will not win the car, but I can be happy for whoever does.  In fact, I kind of regret that I entered, because my 13-year old car has low mileage and seems still very healthy.   Quite possibly the Sweepstakes company has a provision to never accept delivery, but instead receive some percentage of FMV (fair market value).  If I won it I would probably do that, and donate most of the winnings (after taxes).

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:
  • Not every resident in the U.S. speaks English, it is a hugely diverse country.  There are 49 million people who claim German ancestry in the US.

I have no idea what message you think is implied by the presence of a German translation.  To me, the message is:  the company running the Sweepstakes also has German-speaking customers.

If they did NOT provide a German translation, that would be worse! Some people who primarily speak German may not understand the rules, and become upset later when finding out they were not eligible.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

• Imagine that it is Christmas time.  You are standing in a group of people waiting to cross a street.  A convertible pulls up next to you and a guy dressed as Santa Claus jumps out.  He gives the guy standing next to you 200 euros, jumps back in the car and roars away.  You may feel peeved, but in reality you are no worse off than you were 2 minutes ago.

The comparision isn't right, we'r not in that group waiting to cross the street, we'r blocked to get there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.