Self-Actualization In Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What activities do you do in SL, or what groups do you participate in, that facilitate a better life for yourself and those around you?

I've come across so many of late, and i thought it would be fun to learn what else is out there.  All groups/gatherings/activities are not in Search, nor do they list in the Events section, and so this might be a good place to chat about them.

I just left a poetry group, and am going to a discussion on death in a few minutes. On the weekend was an inspiring ritual dance that was an amazing spiritual experience for me.

No dissing of others interests please -- please respect differences and what inspires each person individually.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm a member in 2 peer-support mental health groups in SL. Circle Mental Health Support and Lighthouse Mental Health Support are both successors to SOS, Survivors of Sucide. Groups like these give people in Second Life easy 24 hour peer support. They have group meetings lead by mentors, group chat monitored by moderators, and resources through links and notecards.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I didn't know about these groups, Persephone....thanks!  I had been wondering, due to a group I'm leading that uses the arts to explore the death of loved ones, what I would do if someone had an especially hard time. Was going to check at EcoVets for resources, but this looks good too.

• Like 2

I like to think that every minute I spend in SL improves the RL of those with whom I live. XD

As for groups and activities and stuff, probably the most meaningful time I spend in SL is in helping with events associated with Relay For Life. Even just being there and hovering around in my idle time feels good too, seeing how many people attend them and how much fun stuff they do. Sci-Fi Con is always a blast, and they have some of the awesomest people. ^-^

I like the Dickensian Christmas event that Caledonian Studios puts on every year, too. I'm not all that big on holidays in general, but their event brings together so many creators and others in such a cool way that I'd feel something was really wrong in the world if they didn't have it.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

Let's see... there is Topless Cruising Tuesday... seems to make the guys happy. The prearranged routes improve one's sailing ability. 😄

Then there is GTFO (F=Friehgt 😊) where you play a game of freight delivery/transport. Learning how to drive and play with others.

Flying 🥰 is an excellent way to explore SL. There are various communities and RP groups for flying, sailing, ballooning, and driving.

There are debate, religious, and philosophical groups. If you find any that have progressed beyond the group echo chamber stage 🙄, let me know.

There are fashion groups of multiple flavors. Loads of tech groups specializing in the various skills needed in SL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Yoga mats!

Similarly, I've got a nice Japanese build that came with some Tai Chi poseballs, too.

I wonder if there are any ASMR hangouts? Some people get a charge out of that.

Unfortunately, Second Life only tickles a few of the senses. You have to reach pretty deep to have it tune your chakras.

• Like 4

To be honest, I saw the original post title and thought, "Self-Realization Fellowship, cool! Paramahansa Yogananda!"

He was founder of the "Self-Realization Fellowship" ("SRF"), and author of the classic, Autobiography of a Yogi.

But shortly after, saw it said "actualization"!

The mind goes where it goes.

• Like 1

I'm a team member for Second Pride

Second Pride, is a philanthropic organization supporting LGBTQ+ charities in Real Life. We have events throughout the year where the proceeds go to different organizations.

Some  being the "It gets better project" and the "The Trevor Project" and the "LGBTQ Freedom fund"

For more information https://www.second-pride.com

SPIDEBLACK2023-250x250.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

To be honest, I saw the original post title and thought, "Self-Realization Fellowship, cool! Paramahansa Yogananda!"

He was founder of the "Self-Realization Fellowship" ("SRF"), and author of the classic, Autobiography of a Yogi.

But shortly after, saw it said "actualization"!

The mind goes where it goes.

Yeah I meditate with self-realization fellowship peeps online. I saw they were in SL too but it's pretty inactive.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Unfortunately, Second Life only tickles a few of the senses. You have to reach pretty deep to have it tune your chakras.

Try the week-end music-dance rituals @ Satori if you want some chakra action...they reach deep...have been amazed at the effects.  I can't wait for the week-ends.  The Saturday one is at noon and the Sunday one is at 9am.

• Like 2

I do a few things

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/groups/thenaturecollective/

The Nature Collective in-world: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Erazor/34/85/67

Great people and fun things to do and see.

https://baysidecityrp.com/about-us/

https://discord.gg/YMKMwHrY

Always something to enjoy,

https://www.lifestorii.co/

Initially I was not at all interested. I changed my mind ! it is sooo fun !

I also am a part of VIR Studios. Planning an upcoming SL Reality Show.

And learning to use mesh.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

How_to_Use_Petri_Dishes_effectively_in_L

Y'all may be laughing at this, but I haven't put enough time into finding a science related RP. I partly created one of my alts to take this idea on. Even if it's just the alt poking around in a science lab, I'd be happy with that.

I've actually been considering putting together, or getting involved with a NOAA style organization for the sailing regions in SL. Might be something useful to people. Of course since SL doesn't have weather, the data would have to be more SL relevant like region FPS/health, but the concept is the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

I've actually been considering putting together, or getting involved with a NOAA style organization for the sailing regions in SL. Might be something useful to people. Of course since SL doesn't have weather, the data would have to be more SL relevant like region FPS/health, but the concept is the same.

You should contact Kelly Shergood from Shergood Aviation, they've developed something called "Weather 2.0" that puts simulated weather, which various Shergood heli's react too. Maybe it can be integrated into sailing/boating through something like Kim  Farleigh's wind compass. 

Here's a link to the current weather in SL - https://shergoodaviation.com/weather.php  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vicious Hollow said:

You should contact Kelly Shergood from Shergood Aviation, they've developed something called "Weather 2.0" that puts simulated weather, which various Shergood heli's react too. Maybe it can be integrated into sailing/boating through something like Kim  Farleigh's wind compass. 

Here's a link to the current weather in SL - https://shergoodaviation.com/weather.php  

That's sort of vehicle specific, but not a bad idea. Some kind of integration with that system would be pretty good.

Edited by Paul Hexem

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..is not the weather agency..?

https://www.noaa.gov/

Thought so. I get all my weather from those guys!

Yeah, the weather agency. Check out some of the boats they have if you want to be impressed.

In SL weather doesn't matter, but things like region FPS, script time, or avatars in region are the stats sailors would want, instead of wave height and wind speed. Same type of service, different stats.

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

More info on this ?

It's like Leeward Cruising Club cruises, but topless. Usually, you get a Tom-Tom like HUD that tells you the direction to take to the next way-point. WP to WP, you sail with many other people and boats, until you eventually reach the destination and have a party. In the notices of their group (Topless Cruisers) you can get a notecard with the map, a list of the waypoints and instructions.

As for the activities / groups that facilitate a better life for me and those around me, aside for traveling together with friends and sharing the experiences, I've been in meditation places, where I also volunteered for a while. They are usually small communities though, and some of them eventually close down.

• Like 1

Since I haven’t found anyone I trust enough to do shadow work with, I’d probably have to say my hoola hoop, poi balls and other dance-related things!

joking aside, I think it would be dancing with fire-dancers at Burn2 and the events there in general. I’ve learned so much from that event about my own limitations and the value of practicing radical inclusion. I think differently because of it. A close second is volunteering with the Children of Stories at Fantasy Faire. So many people are so dedicated and give of themselves selflessly in so many ways at the Faire, it’s an experience that I always come away from with new perspective and some deep learning. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.