Apple Vision Plus and Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

just one more thing...

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/5/23738968/apple-vision-pro-ar-headset-features-specs-price-release-date-wwdc-2023

The Apple AR/VR headset has appeared at today's WWDC23. Anyone taken a deep dive yet? Care to share?

Would this be a high-end "green fields" opportunity for Linden Lab (as opposed to the low-end-battle-royale of mobile)?

Edited by diamond Marchant
more spice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Ah, the iBorg has finally been announced.

The interesting part is the approach to input. It uses voice, eye gestures, and hand movements for control. No hand controllers. Look forward to seeing the first game to use that. Connecting this to SL is going to be interesting.

It apparently comes with dumb screen mode, where you're just using this thing as AR goggles to show flat screens in space. The effect is like having a really big monitor. SL could certainly work in that mode.

Edited by animats
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What were the other things?  

"Just one more thing" was used by Peter Falk in Columbo... but Steve Jobs also used it at the end of a presentation prior to revealing the next blockbuster product, such as the iPhone.

update... will be available "Apple soon", which means early 2024... anticipated price is US$3,499.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

"Just one more thing" was used by Peter Falk in Columbo..

I watched the ENTIRE run of Columbo during the earlier part of the COVID epidemic!  So, you "solved the case"?

But more seriously, I assumed you meant "one more gadget" but there haven't been a lot of VR gadgets "lately" due to it not working out too well / becoming popular.  I was surprised to see a "Meta"-brand VR gadget at Target the other day.  

7 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

but Steve Jobs also used to at the end of a presentation prior to revealing the next blockbuster product, such as the iPhone.

Ah yes, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

just one more thing...

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/5/23738968/apple-vision-pro-ar-headset-features-specs-price-release-date-wwdc-2023

The Apple AR/VR headset has appeared at today's WWDC23. Anyone taken a deep dive yet? Care to share?

Would this be a high-end "green fields" opportunity for Linden Lab (as opposed to the low-end-battle-royale of mobile)?

It's pricey, Diamond.  Plus, Sansar was a complete dud, and SL is going mobile and there are an estimated 6.5 billion cell phone users.  In America, one can get a free cell phone with unlimited data if they qualify which is adding to the cell phone market.  The mobile market is going to be amazing!  People are already on phones playing games by the billions.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

That's about 36,000 coffee pads.
I don't think that is ever going to happen at the Nagy home.

I grind fresh and fancy fair trade beans every day with my porlex grinder...this would equal to 83kgs of my favest ones and this would be about 83 month of coffee 😂 holy...

55 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

It's pricey, Diamond.  Plus, Sansar was a complete dud, and SL is going mobile and there are an estimated 6.5 billion cell phone users.  In America, one can get a free cell phone with unlimited data if they qualify which is adding to the cell phone market.  The mobile market is going to be amazing!  People are already on phones playing games by the billions.  

Actually a good cheese is pricey or my favest manga in limited Edition is pricey, I am lucky that I could afford this thing easily if I wanted but calling this only pricey doesn't fit the crime XD apple has left the horizon of pricey years ago and they are still accelerating 😂 but even the hardcore apple fanboys in my friend circle don't buy everything anymore x3

16 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

I grind fresh and fancy fair trade beans every day with my porlex grinder...this would equal to 83kgs of my favest ones and this would be about 83 month of coffee 😂 holy...

Coffee..the REAL "magic beans"!  

I haven't used my specialty hand grinder forever. Or percolators. Or espresso machine. Just good old electric "automatic pour-over" (a couple steps up from "drip").  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Coffee..the REAL "magic beans"!  

I haven't used my specialty hand grinder forever. Or percolators. Or espresso machine. Just good old electric "automatic pour-over" (a couple steps up from "drip").  

I basically drink only coffee and tea but mostly coffee XD it's my Hario V60 in the morning and my chemex in the other half of the day...And I often make my husband grind dem beans >:D and he is a non coffee drinker 😂and some beans get the Aeropress 😆

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Hario V60 in the morning and my chemex

Pretty sure I have a Hario Japanese unit. I've never bought a Chemex. 

There's literally 1.5 shelves of coffee-making equipment in my retro kitchen, including some "vacuum" makers (they predate percolators - I think one is a Hario modern version), and a "Belgian Royal" ("balancing") maker.  

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

I basically drink only coffee and tea but mostly coffee XD it's my Hario V60 in the morning and my chemex in the other half of the day...And I often make my husband grind dem beans >:D and he is a non coffee drinker 😂and some beans get the Aeropress 😆

Aeropress is just fun though, and far more practical than my WACACO Minipresso as a travel coffee maker .. which ok, works, but you get cold espresso. 

• Like 1

I intend to buy one the second it comes out. I don’t think you’ll ever see anything to do with SL on it.

Really expand the concept for a moment, apple is not going to want anything to do with SL on their brand new os on their brand new hardware if they want a virtual world augmented reality experience.

Why adapt a platform from 2003 to somehow work with something 20 years newer, it’s not practical, if they saw the idea of AR worlds being popular, they’d make their own virtual world.

The tech they’re showing off, if it does what they say it does, is some next level stuff for consumer tier AR, and is extremely interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a steep price for a brand new untested product but Apple customers usually skew to affluent and buy whatever Apple makes. If any company can pull off AR correctly it would be Apple. Hopefully this Vision Pro is like every other line of product where a non-pro version will be released and then further iterations get released regularly. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Pretty sure I have a Hario Japanese unit. I've never bought a Chemex. 

There's literally 1.5 shelves of coffee-making equipment in my retro kitchen, including some "vacuum" makers (they predate percolators - I think one is a Hario modern version), and a "Belgian Royal" ("balancing") maker.  

Hario is always japanese xP and so is my porlex grinder of course x3 but it's easy to get here in Japan haha dunno about other parts of the world but I sent packets to Europe friends XD 

I can relate to the shelves XD I have a bigger cupboard full of coffee stuff and 3 shelves of teas ... I'm one of the weird people that loves both. But now it's summer this means mugicha season  😊 💕

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Aeropress is just fun though, and far more practical than my WACACO Minipresso as a travel coffee maker .. which ok, works, but you get cold espresso. 

That's so true I got the Aeropress like 4 Years ago from my hubby for our Nepal trip x3 and omg I love it so much that I also use it at home now in summer I like cold coffee I make over night cold brew in the fridge x3 so yummy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:
6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's so true I got the Aeropress like 4 Years ago

Never really used my Aeropress, maybe once!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The Toddy Cold Brew system is my favorite.

I use my Hario Mizudashi pot x3 googled toddy ...looks so complicated 🫨 I am too lazy XD I just grind dem beans 🫘 add cold water, put in fridge and wait at least 8 hours XD 

11 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

I use my Hario Mizudashi pot x3 googled toddy ...looks so complicated 🫨 I am too lazy XD I just grind dem beans 🫘 add cold water, put in fridge and wait at least 8 hours XD 

Toddy has an option where you put the ground beans in a filter bag. Makes it much simpler and easy cleanup.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.