Ideas for New Second Life Community "Forums" Name (Whether Official or Unofficial)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

I saw a post where it was suggested that the Forums are not appropriately named (the reasons given are irrelevant for this thread).

Actually, the name of the overall Forums website is "Second Life Community", with the top-level URL being "community.secondlife.com/".

So anyway, I had a fun idea that we could discuss potential "alternative names" for the Second Life Community Forums!

And, to top if off..we could even submit the most popular idea as a JIRA. 

Linden Lab wouldn't have to RENAME the Forums, but at least (just an idea) have an alternate URL that would reflect the "better name". Just a thought..

I'll get us started.

How about, "Shillings and Patches"?  Here's the rationale:

- You can play Second Life for "Shillings" (pennies) a day.  (Ironically, some of us are Second Life "supporters".  So "shilling" can have an alternative meaning!)

- This is also a place to discuss "Changes" (including "Patches") to Second Life Servers, Viewers, Social aspects, etc. (Ironically, there's @Patch Linden!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I like the idea of SL moving their core website to the xenforo forums like how some other communities have done.

Just merge the account information screens, add a map, marketplace, in world search and such to the top bar.

All news items and events can be official forum posts.

So it would just become SecondLife.com

• Thanks 1

Graveyard
Forums really are yesterdays news. Not only the ones about SL.
The cool kids use other means of communication these days.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:
20 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Graveyard
Forums really are yesterdays news. Not only the ones about SL.
The cool kids use other means of communication these days.

I'm not cool, and you can't make me be cool, Sid! :P

Wait..I'm so old, I remember when hanging out in graveyards WAS cool!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh, I thought this was going to be about new topic sections.

A few I'd like to see:

• Architecture. (Examples of good buildings, discussions on how to make better ones.)
  • Boating (There's a big boating and sailing community on SL, but we don't hear from them much.)
  • Land vehicles (For the driving crowd.)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, animats said:
  • Boating (There's a big boating and sailing community on SL, but we don't hear from them much.)
  • Land vehicles (For the driving crowd.)

Both of which will be dominated by "wow aren't physics terrible", "tales of woe from the region's end" and "low flying, the only way to see a _____".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Since non SL related topics are forbidden, General Discussion is sufficient for almost all threads.
Especially given the pace of posting nowadays.

Sorry if I was not clear Sid, but my actual question was about renaming the ENTIRE Forums (or an "unofficial name").

I had this idea because someone said these should not be called "Forums" because <rant>.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sorry if I was not clear Sid, but my actual question was about renaming the ENTIRE Forums (or an "unofficial name").

I had this idea because someone said these should not be called "Forums" because <rant>.

I was reacting to the posts above mine.
It is a bad habit of mine to be too lazy to quote when I think it is obvious to what I'm responding to.
I'm not into the habit to post something totally non related in a thread out of the blue. 😁

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I was reacting to the posts above mine.
It is a bad habit of mine to be too lazy to quote when I think it is obvious to what I'm responding to.
I'm not into the habit to post something totally non related in a thread out of the blue. 😁

LOL! Noted. However, I am in that habit. Guilty!

And then again, some of the suggestions being made "tongue in cheek" as overall names for the Forums would indeed be good for "Sub-Forums".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 486 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.