How Many Avatars are associated with my Main character?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,  

I will admit it.  After 16 years of being here I have made about 5 Alts, to help with creating, building, photography, and just to sometimes get away and be alone in SL.  Where do I go to see what Alt names are tied to my Main character?  I am under the assumption that if I create a new Alt while I am still logged in with one, then the new Alt will be associated to the one that is already logged in.  Is this true?

Thanks for anyone's help in advance.

1 hour ago, Candy Tangerine said:

I am under the assumption that if I create a new Alt while I am still logged in with one, then the new Alt will be associated to the one that is already logged in.  Is this true?

AFAIK the main way SL "links accounts together" is if they use exactly the same email address, and even then having accounts linked/tied together really doesn't do much practical (It may or may not affect stats on your rez-day email, but who cares about those?)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There is no where you can see what accounts LL think are linked together. 

Not correct.

If you file a support ticket and ask, they can provide you with a list associated with a specific email address.  You'll need to verify your secret question with them, and to reset passwords for any long forgotten account.

How do I know this? I've done it.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Candy Tangerine said:

Hi,  

I will admit it.  After 16 years of being here I have made about 5 Alts, to help with creating, building, photography, and just to sometimes get away and be alone in SL.  Where do I go to see what Alt names are tied to my Main character?  I am under the assumption that if I create a new Alt while I am still logged in with one, then the new Alt will be associated to the one that is already logged in.  Is this true?

Thanks for anyone's help in advance.

if you know the email adress, and you still have access to it, you can use the "forgot your name" at your accountpage  (click the link "forgot your login informartion") to get your accounts in sight again.
If there are multiple on that emailadress, you'll have to move the discovered one to a new emailadress ,  and than try again on the old email till you have no response anymore.
When LL disabled the access ( that did happen in the past) you'l need to contact them first before you can change the email,.

For LL there are,  in daily practice, no alts, all are seen as seperate accounts. It;s many years ago, in that time you had to pay( $ 9.99 if i'm right ) to get a second acount they left that, but think that's still to find in the olde rules somewhere, unless it's cleaned up.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Candy Tangerine said:

I will admit it.  After 16 years of being here I have made about 5 Alts, to help with creating, building, photography, and just to sometimes get away and be alone in SL.

I'm pretty much just like you about alt avatars (16+ years in SL, 1 main avatar, plus 4 for scripts testing, viewer testing, etc). And I am pretty sure most ”old time” SLers are alike in this respect (which would raise a question about the actual users base numbers in SL).

Where do I go to see what Alt names are tied to my Main character?

Officially, nowhere: there is no public-facing tool or interface to tell what alt avatar can be associated to another for a given real-life person, not even at your own accounts' management level.

I am under the assumption that if I create a new Alt while I am still logged in with one, then the new Alt will be associated to the one that is already logged in.  Is this true?

Not really. Or rather, the fact you are logged in or not while creating an alt would not matter the least. LL can know whether an alt is used on the same computer (or more exactly, on the same computer with the same OS) as another (even at different times), because viewers transmit a machine Id on login (a more reliable Id than just your IP address, which is also of course visible by LL, but which may be shared by several different persons, even outside your own home, some ISPs sharing IPv4 addresses (via port ranges) between different customers). However, I never heard of (and even less saw) any case where LL would give up such info outside of their own internal services (this info is needed by them to fight griefers, for example).

Another thing to consider, if you worry about private persons (i.e. other SL residents) gathering info about your alts, is however what information you do ”leak” when using several alts from the same computer (or physical RL location): in particular, when you allow playing media or parcel music streams, you leak your IP address to the servers for these streams, which are not hosted by LL: if the server serving that stream is under the control of a resident, they can easily associate the IP addresses with the avatars visiting their parcel (or neighboring parcels when playing neighbour parcels media), and therefore link your alts together (even if the ”same IP at same time” assumption may prove rather weak/inaccurate/irrelevant in some (rare) cases)...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you created new email.addresses for each account, as I do, I'm unaware of any way they could be tied together.   

Same payment method would be a way.  I use the same payment for all of the accounts that have payment info - not all of them do.

Then again - not sure where the separation line is between SL & Tilia.  Maybe these days only Tilia knows that multiple accounts have the same payment info.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Randy Pole said:

There are no alts and there are no mains - there are only accounts. Accounts are not linked to other accounts in any way apart from in our own heads.

Correction (probably):
This is my main, and Wicked Leigh is my alt as known by LL, because I paid LL for it as an alt. At that time, we were allowed up to 5(?) accounts as one user - a main account and another 4 that had to be paid for. So, if LL still have that data, there are still some alts that are associated with main accounts.

It's a long time ago and we could probably not have needed to pay for alts if we used different email addresses, but, since LL was charging for alts, doing that would have been against what LL wanted.

7 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's correct. I paid for my first alt.

Ya,I remember paying for my first one as well.. I remember thinking it was premium too because I had to pay..

I was such a newbie back then, yet thought I knew everything.. hehehe

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya,I remember paying for my first one as well.. I remember thinking it was premium too because I had to pay..

I was such a newbie back then, yet thought I knew everything.. hehehe

They weren't premiums. My alt wasn't a premium but she cost me $9.95 or something like that, because that was the rule back then when a user wanted another account. I don't know that rule disappeared but I don't it was very long after I bought my alt.

1 hour ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

How did they know you were an alt if you created it with a different email address for example? Sorry if this sounds stupid, just curious to know how they would charge people for alts

I don't think they would know for sure (assuming you also gave each account different payment info -- or no info, if that was allowed back then).  Probably, some of the folks back then (when they charged for alts), felt obligated to associate the alt account and pay the fee because Linden rules at the time said "5 accounts per household, $9.99 for each after the first".  Some of us** play by the rules whether or not we might get caught.

** That is more of a general "us" as opposed to definitely including myself.  I do sometimes play by the rules, even if I likely wouldn't get caught otherwise.  However, there are other times I specifically break the rules cuz the rules be stupid.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't think they would know for sure (assuming you also gave each account different payment info -- or no info, if that was allowed back then).  Probably, some of the folks back then (when they charged for alts), felt obligated to associate the alt

Thanks Little that makes sense, I never knew of a time when LL charged for alts. It probably would curb the trolling provided there were a way to definitely associate accounts with an individual.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

They weren't premiums. My alt wasn't a premium but she cost me $9.95 or something like that, because that was the rule back then when a user wanted another account. I don't know that rule disappeared but I don't it was very long after I bought my alt.

I know they weren't Premium back then.. I just thought it was at the time, then learned later that it wasn't. hehehe

That's why I said, I was such a newbie back then, but thought I knew it all.. hehehe

3 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

How did they know you were an alt if you created it with a different email address for example? Sorry if this sounds stupid, just curious to know how they would charge people for alts

I was only a few weeks into SL at the time, and the LL website said that we could have up to 5(?) accounts. I was too new to risk anything, so that's what I did.

Later I created over 70 accounts, all with different email addresses. Having a domain name can be very useful. E.g. phil@domain.xxx, another@domain.xxx, etc.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Having a domain name can be very useful. E.g. phil@domain.xxx, another@domain.xxx, etc.

Now, your email addresses would probably be rejected like they are today for certain "supposedly legitimate" email providers.  (Those email providers have a "low trust score" according to research by one of the Forumites in the thread that was about. Something similar to "trust score", at least.)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now, your email addresses would probably be rejected like they are today for certain "supposedly legitimate" email providers.  (Those email providers have a "low trust score" according to research by one of the Forumites in the thread that was about. Something similar to "trust score", at least.)

Ugh - I hate that new policy.  I use an email service that lets me create many unique email addresses so that I can use a different one for each place that wants an email address.  That also lets me know which places sell my data.  LL no longer allows email addresses from those domains though.  Even though I already have half dozen accounts with email addresses from that domain, I can't even reuse those email addresses with new accounts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.