Scam Alert - Please Becareful

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

yeeted into the sun, etc.

I hate it when that happens!

16 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

/me quietly walks by flashing these pages:

Now go get your panties twisted in a bunch on those. :D 

Almost this whole thread has been on how to take away functionality, and now how to make it more annoying to log in or do a transaction. Yet the blatantly obvious just won't be accepted by the loudest voices here. Do Not Randomly Put Your Passwords In!

We just can't have nice things!

When I was a cub, before 2FA, for a primitive MFA we used little RSA keyfobs with special numbers, and the "seeds" for those numbers were tied to our personal keyfob! So, someone would have to steal our keyfob to hack us.  

Get off my lawn!

2 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

xPMNg8kT6Ag4il0#l@kA@17dxs@7E8nRa3%k$#DN8IwRNsX63e

That's not my password, but mine is like that - so hack that.  I can remember the first 4 characters on a good day :)

Main problem is losing where it is stored, so I need multiple backup locations in case  my city gets hit by a giant flaming meteor. 

LOL...are you me?!?

• Moles

Hey, troops ...

It's fine to have a robust discussion, but let's not start throwing things at each other. If you disagree, please do it without using language that is sarcastic, pointedly personal, or intended to pick a fight. Take it off line, if you must. 

The thread has grown far enough that it's also a good idea to step back and focus on the theme. It's easier to have a constructive conversation if we're all headed in the same direction.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

That's not my password, but mine is like that - so hack that.  I can remember the first 4 characters on a good day :)

Main problem is losing where it is stored, so I need multiple backup locations in case  my city gets hit by a giant flaming meteor. 

You do know that SL only uses the first 16 characters of the password, right ?

• Haha 1

I think about the only thing we've accomplished in this thread is, making our Forum peers more aware of the general issue of the so-called "scam".

The general consensus is that there's no solution except for education, and there is a minority who seems sure even education won't work.

So..what's the point of our continued discussion then?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So..what's the point of our continued discussion then?

To slowly drive the mods insane with our ramblings, I think 😈.  But I do think it serves the purpose of making people aware of the variety of scams out there that, and brainstorming possible solutions to them.  I still think the best course of action is mandatory classes, and failure to attend them result in being cast into the cornfields, and to feed them to the volcano.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

To slowly drive the mods insane with our ramblings, I think 😈.  But I do think it serves the purpose of making people aware of the variety of scams out there that, and brainstorming possible solutions to them.  I still think the best course of action is mandatory classes, and failure to attend them result in being cast into the cornfields, and to feed them to the volcano.

I think there were plenty of "viable", if not "good" suggestions. Too bad about all the nattering nabobs of negativity (a phrase only old people will recognize)! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Just mail them all to me.
I'll keep them save for you. Cross my heart and all. 😁

BTW: Did I ever mention to you that I'm actually a Nigerian prince?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

You first. 🌋

It was your idea! That means you're just as guilty as anyone else! 😜

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Phone-based 2FA is not secure. Phones can be lost, stolen, sim hacked and hijacked, yeeted into the sun, etc.

I would absolutely hate this. It's also not secure, so it's added hassle for nothing. See above.

We already have MFA for our accounts and it's entirely opt-in (for now). I can't see needing anything else at the moment.

Yeah, but they will find a way around MFA too.  I just read one of the links CathLynn put up.  Scammers have ways to steal cookies, plus other ways to get around MFA.  As far as straight up 2FA, the article said your company (the one you have the 2FA account with) will never ask for the code they sent in your phone, so don't give that out to anyone just the same as our passwords.  

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hackers-are-finding-ways-around-multi-factor-authentication-heres-what-to-watch-for/

"This is a really important challenge for society right now as we increasingly digitize we've got an incredible opportunity to continue to put technology to really good use. But we've also got to address these challenges when it comes to resilience and the human aspect," says Alashe. 

Edited by EliseAnne85

17 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Yeah, but they will find a way around MFA too.  I just read one of the links CathLynn put up.  Scammers have ways to steal cookies, plus other ways to get around MFA.  As far as straight up 2FA, the article said your company (the one you have the 2FA account with) will never ask for the code they sent in your phone, so don't give that out to anyone just the same as our passwords.  

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hackers-are-finding-ways-around-multi-factor-authentication-heres-what-to-watch-for/

"This is a really important challenge for society right now as we increasingly digitize we've got an incredible opportunity to continue to put technology to really good use. But we've also got to address these challenges when it comes to resilience and the human aspect," says Alashe. 

You forgot to quote the final line which basically sums up the entire problem of this thread...

"People are wonderful, they want to be helpful, so they'll get tricked sometimes," he adds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

When I was a cub, before 2FA, for a primitive MFA we used little RSA keyfobs with special numbers, and the "seeds" for those numbers were tied to our personal keyfob! So, someone would have to steal our keyfob to hack us.  

Get off my lawn!

Those are still in use and beat the moldy butter out of using text messages, email messages, and most of those already-hacked apps.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You forgot to quote the final line which basically sums up the entire problem of this thread...

"People are wonderful, they want to be helpful, so they'll get tricked sometimes," he adds. 

Yeah, is a good line.  

It's possible and it happens, they have "tricks" and those tricks are constantly changing.  

As a matter of fact, somebody just did try a trick.  And, it did happen once before.  Silent Mistwalker said she remembered.  I remembered it vaguely but yet I knew it was familiar.   Back in those days, I thought websites used to be attacked, not individuals, and I thought SL was under attack, so I logged out.  

It sucks.  It's like us against them.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

You do know that SL only uses the first 16 characters of the password, right ?

OMG I now feel so insecure. So what is SL doing with the other 34 characters?  I bet they are making new "enter your password" boxes with them.  Wait - think I see one floating above me now...  Logging Off...

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

OMG I now feel so insecure. So what is SL doing with the other 34 characters?  I bet they are making new "enter your password" boxes with them.  Wait - think I see one floating above me now...  Logging Off...

They save them for later as spares, in case portions of the first 16 get lost or damaged. It cost $L 100 per character to replace damaged ones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That would really help the attendance at my weekly Avatar Safety class! *cough* Noon Saturdays, Caledon Oxbridge University *cough*

You really do not want people like me, who don't need such things even as a reminder, to be forced to attend a class every week. Disruption would be an understatement. 🤬

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.