A Healthy Debate: Avatar Regulations with loopholes Category: Anime Avatars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

But how, within the confines of what's available for purchase in SL? The only way I can see to make avatars looking like that, is to make them non-anime. IE don't use the Utilizator heads and bodies, or anything similar to them.

Is this a chaaaaaaaaaaallllennnnnnnngggeeee, Maitimo? 😂

But on a serious note, you don't need to use a Kemono body or Utilizator heads to make anime-inspired avatars. Like @Love Zhaoying said - anime just refers to the hand-drawn/computer-gen Japanese animation style and characters come in all ages, shapes, and sizes. Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Persona 5, Dragon Ball Z, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, on and on and on and on. There are a gabillion anime shows, movies, and games. If you're mostly thinking of Pokémon characters with the super exaggerated features, that's only one style that exists.

Those two characters I linked are from a Japanese anime series (that I'm now going to binge thanks to everyone I've asked telling me how good it is, lol). Their faces could easily be doable with Lel or AK heads and maybe Catwa, though I'm betting, if I could get them to play nice with Maitreya, I could pull them off with the M4 Venus or Rikugou, too, for funsies. 

As for the bodies - why would I need Kemono or Avatar 2.0? Lust would look fantastic with Reborn + Juicy or Erika. And Olivier could use anything as long as I could put together a similar uniform in the same size. Nothing about either one of those characters calls for a super petite frame. Olivier's like 37 years old or so, too, so she'd fit right in to what I normally work with on the age/body/skins spectrum.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Is the series good? The characters all look so amazing. And knowing me, it'll inspire a bunch of new avatars for me to recreate here (oh god...more shopping).

OMG. Someone's talking about one of very few anime I've actually seen!!!

Yes, it's very good, and full of interesting and highly problematic characters.

Also very very hard to watch in places.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG. Someone's talking about one of very few anime I've actually seen!!!

Yes, it's very good, and full of interesting and highly problematic characters.

Also very very hard to watch in places.

Is this a subtle violence warning orrrrrrrr... 

I'm squeamish, ya know! I watch all kinds of stuffs with my eyes closed. 😂

Should I just stick to Googling and making characters based on photos? 👀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Should I just stick to Googling and making characters based on photos? 👀

Well, yeah. It's pretty violent. And there's lots of "ick." I spent a fair amount of it watching from behind slightly open fingers.

BUT . . . if you're into a complicated moral allegory built around the nature of fascism, genocide, and personal spiritual power realized in physical and "magical" ways (which also occasionally involves losing random body parts), it's TOTALLY your show!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, yeah. It's pretty violent. And there's lots of "ick." I spent a fair amount of it watching from behind slightly open fingers.

BUT . . . if you're into a complicated moral allegory built around the nature of fascism, genocide, and personal spiritual power realized in physical and "magical" ways (which also occasionally involves losing random body parts), it's TOTALLY your show!

Brb, strangling my best friend.

I asked him specifically if I could handle the show. He KNOWS me. He knows I watch anything even remotely violent with the screen scrolled down, tabbed out, or with my eyes closed.

It's good? This good for me?

Can't think of anything bad in it, sure. 

😒 

Totally funny aside btw - I write horror. And read nothing but. But seeing it is a whole different level. Can't handle that, lol. Don't ask, I dunno. 🤣

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I asked him specifically if I could handle the show. He KNOWS me. He knows I watch anything even remotely violent with the screen scrolled down, tabbed out, or with my eyes closed.

😒

Totally funny aside btw - I write horror. And read nothing but. But seeing it is a whole different level. Can't handle that, lol. Don't ask, I dunno. 🤣

Yeah, I don't think it's for the squeamish. I was only able to watch it because I got (mostly) reliable warnings when bad parts were coming. And it was still difficult. More than the violence (and again, rhe backstory here is a literal genocide), though, there is a lot of . . . well, slightly stomach-turning "icky."

It IS however a smart show, and it has some great characters.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, I don't think it's for the squeamish. I was only able to watch it because I got (mostly) reliable warnings when bad parts were coming. And it was still difficult. More than the violence (and again, rhe backstory here is a literal genocide), though, there is a lot of . . . well, slightly stomach-turning "icky."

It IS however a smart show, and it has some great characters.

Thank you for warning me! I'll skip it. I just ranted to him about not warning me and he linked the IMDB for Hello Kitty and Friends for me to watch instead. 🤣 He ain't wrong!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Could easily accomplish it with these two.

__olivier_mira_armstrong_fullmetal_alche

image.thumb.png.2bf67d19315299ca28c2920edc89bdb3.png

Gah, now I'm tempted to go make these characters. 😂

You could probably use the Erika body for those with how athletic it can get, plus it already has the slim waist, smash bewbies addons built in

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You could probably use the Erika body for those with how athletic it can get, plus it already has the slim waist, smash bewbies addons built in

Yeah, I was thinking Reborn or Erika for the second one. The first, though, might be kind of difficult to find the outfit for. Might need Maitreya to pull that off, just for the ease of shopping the look. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Maitimo said:

There's always something like this.

old-woman-xxxholic-37700.jpg?t=1333225257

But I' ve never seen an avatar like that in SL.

I had one like that. Pre-mesh days. She briefly terrorised a vampire sim, poking the smexy male vamps with her cane. 😏

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yeah, I was thinking Reborn or Erika for the second one. The first, though, might be kind of difficult to find the outfit for. Might need Maitreya to pull that off, just for the ease of shopping the look. 

Maybe give some thought to Riza Hawkeye

w57lzhjqfptp5m2m3kn2jk76xfddilms_hq.jpg

or Izumi Curtis

fbee1a65a7a2bed8df2be1c15b7e9a7f.jpg

Or, for a younger, slightly different kind of "kickass," Winry Rockbell (one of my favourite characters)

winry-rockbell-feature.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

But on a serious note, you don't need to use a Kemono body or Utilizator heads to make anime-inspired avatars.

There's a hair shop (the name eludes me, and I may be thinking of more than one) who does some cool anime inspired hairdos. The advert pics are all "normal" avatars but they are definitely anime-esque. With the right skin, eyes and some tweaks to a normal bento head it's easy. I sometimes go about in Yuuko Ichihara-inspired avatar I threw together, and I always use my Maitreya and Logo head. No one ever mistook that for underaged, also I didn't do naughty things unless smoking and sake binges count. 😉

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Anime" is just a style that may mimic either the "look" or "content" of some Japanese animated material. Some people use "anime" as in this discussion, to imply "something naughty".

Actual anime has characters of all ages. And is NOT necessarily "naughty" at all.

A dude with a beard would be "clearly" an adult, so if I see what looks like a character from Naruto, with a beard, I don't even ask "does that look like an adult"?

I think the OP is trying to use "anime" for "code" as in, "young-looking characters following some anime styles that MAY be interpreted as naughty" (whether "naughty" on purpose of by interpretation).  As such, if I am right, then the whole discussion is pretty pointless.

To the OP: There are no "rules" - just individual land/club/region/"sim" owners who may decide they don't want "young-looking" characters around.  You don't get to override those owners' decisions. There is no "exception" to letting those owners decide who to allow or not allow.

No they are referring to what is called a lolicon and I get the feeling the OP is an anti. Which is their right, but I mean loli is a body type not a freakin child. But yeah I mean as long as they are following TOS and the owners discretion. I don't see a problem with that. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Maybe give some thought to Riza Hawkeye

w57lzhjqfptp5m2m3kn2jk76xfddilms_hq.jpg

or Izumi Curtis

fbee1a65a7a2bed8df2be1c15b7e9a7f.jpg

Or, for a younger, slightly different kind of "kickass," Winry Rockbell (one of my favourite characters)

winry-rockbell-feature.jpg

Omggggg, I love these all! I have neeeeverrrr even considered making avatars inspired by anime before, and now you guys have me brainstorming like crazy. 😂 I'm already like OMG I know what head...OMG I know what hair!

Okay wait I lie. I did make a Doki Doki Literature Club-inspired character once, but I only gave her a slight resemblance to hint at it.

8 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

There's a hair shop (the name eludes me, and I may be thinking of more than one) who does some cool anime inspired hairdos. The advert pics are all "normal" avatars but they are definitely anime-esque. With the right skin, eyes and some tweaks to a normal bento head it's easy. I sometimes go about in Yuuko Ichihara-inspired avatar I threw together, and I always use my Maitreya and Logo head. No one ever mistook that for underaged, also I didn't do naughty things unless smoking and sake binges count. 😉

Sintiklia has been KILLING it on the anime-inspired hair lately. They had one or two on sale last weekend, in fact, but of course, that was a few days too early to know I'd need them. 🤣

There's also Dura. VCO. Ayashi. Maybe Moon.

Skins would be fairly easy. Same with eyes. Gotta peek through my head collection... (things that only make sense to say in SL!)... HRRRMMM!!!

16 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Thank you! Woooohoooo, the Brotherhood series is on Hulu. The original series isn't available anywhere, but no worries, I'll start with that. 🥳

Thus begins Aya's adventure down the rabbit hole into the anime realm, inspiring way too much SL shopping and character styling along the way...

As someone who lists Full Metal Alchemist among her favourite shows of all time, allow me to give a bit more background on that! Sorry, inner nerd tickled! Most Anime is based on yet unfinished Manga. That happened with Full Metal Alchemist too. Halfway through the first show, they ran out of source material and had to create an anime only ending.

Which, obviously a matter of taste, I felt did not pay off on the themes the show had set out. They also expanded on the anime ending with the movie Conqueror of Shamballa going further in a direction I found tasteless. However, many years later, the Manga finished and they decided to basically start over. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood as a result shares much of the first half from the first show - but then continues on with the actual story. That one I count among the best shows I have watched.

However the watch recommendation isn't that easy. The first show took a lot more time establishing the basics and gave early story arcs more room to breathe while almost glancing over them in the second show. You can understand the story with just the second show but let's just say, there's a reason an entire generation of anime watchers gets a thousand yard stare with the phrase "Let's play".

However I'd personally recommend the second show, Brotherhood. It pays off on the themes it lays out and the narrative fits together better. It also actually has Olivia Armstrong in it (the blonde woman earlier in the thread). She is hands down... amazing. I love her character.

Right - now about the thread topic itself, here's what can be contributed to it, that hasn't already been debated to death a thousand times in a thousand different places before:

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Is this a chaaaaaaaaaaallllennnnnnnngggeeee, Maitimo? 😂

YES!  Do eeet!

13 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As for the bodies - why would I need Kemono or Avatar 2.0? Lust would look fantastic with Reborn + Juicy or Erika. And Olivier could use anything as long as I could put together a similar uniform in the same size. Nothing about either one of those characters calls for a super petite frame. 

Sure, but once you do that, it's no longer an "anime avatar". It's a regular avatar cosplaying as an anime character.

The issue within SL is that avatars made with Utilazator or Kemono or Kuroo or Avatar 2.0 cannot be made to look like grown-ups, even if the characters they're portraying are in their 30s or older. Most land-owners won't recognise the character or know how old it's supposed to be. They will just see an avatar with a body and face that looks like a teen or pre-teen.

I run an M-rated community on M-rated land. This means that, in my community, nudity is allowed. I also allow child and anime avatars. But I do not allow both together. If a child or anime avatar is present, everyone must be clothed. (and by "anime avatar" I mean those made with Utilizator, Kemono etc. parts - you could make one of those above grown-up characers with a Reborn body and Lelutka head, and be as naked as you please).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

How about Attack on Titan? ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Maitimo said:

YES!  Do eeet!

Tempteeeeeeeeeed! I'll dig around a bit and see what's available....👀😄

5 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Sure, but once you do that, it's no longer an "anime avatar". It's a regular avatar cosplaying as an anime character.

As for this, I'm not sure what this means exactly. What is an "anime avatar," except for a character inspired by a particular (or entirely made up) animated film, television series, or video game, and why does creating one in Second Life require using one specific brand of heads and/or bodies? I'm curious why you're implying it's completely locked in like that. What did people do before those existed? And how does that carry over into real life anime cosplay (and goodness knows that's extremely popular- anime cons galore), where M4s and Kemonos aren't exactly available for use widespread use? 😂

Okay, on that last question I'm being silly, but you get my point. You can create a character from any animation (which is all "anime" means - animation that's produced in Japan) using a variety of methods! There is no one singular way to simulate that, as it's all up to the stylist's interpretation, expression, and creative liberties.

Is it the nose? That's a shorthand drawing technique - just representative of a certain style of sketching/illustration. The eyes? They don't all have big ole dome-shaped or oval Pokémon eyes. The skins? They don't need cel shading, though that'd be pretty neat if someone could pull that off and make it look good. The head shapes? Easily made with a variety of head brands. 

Last thing - what would a Utilizator head do for me if I wanted to make Ryuk, that lovely gentleman on the left from Death Note (a popular manga/anime series)? Someone could probably pull him off quite well without using any anime-inspired branded products. But he's directly from a manga and anime - thus, still would be an anime-based/inspired avatar, regardless of what brands the wearer chose - technically.

No snark intended, Maitimo. I'm pre-coffee, so I'll apologize in advance if anything comes across that way! 😄❤️

Ryuk-and-Light-Death-Note-1.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Orwar said:

How about Attack on Titan? ^_^

You shuuuush! I don't trust you. 😂

15683032_833762546763444_1860599181_n.gi

6 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

As someone who lists Full Metal Alchemist among her favourite shows of all time, allow me to give a bit more background on that! Sorry, inner nerd tickled! Most Anime is based on yet unfinished Manga. That happened with Full Metal Alchemist too. Halfway through the first show, they ran out of source material and had to create an anime only ending.

Which, obviously a matter of taste, I felt did not pay off on the themes the show had set out. They also expanded on the anime ending with the movie Conqueror of Shamballa going further in a direction I found tasteless. However, many years later, the Manga finished and they decided to basically start over. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood as a result shares much of the first half from the first show - but then continues on with the actual story. That one I count among the best shows I have watched.

However the watch recommendation isn't that easy. The first show took a lot more time establishing the basics and gave early story arcs more room to breathe while almost glancing over them in the second show. You can understand the story with just the second show but let's just say, there's a reason an entire generation of anime watchers gets a thousand yard stare with the phrase "Let's play".

However I'd personally recommend the second show, Brotherhood. It pays off on the themes it lays out and the narrative fits together better. It also actually has Olivia Armstrong in it (the blonde woman earlier in the thread). She is hands down... amazing. I love her character.

Right - now about the thread topic itself, here's what can be contributed to it, that hasn't already been debated to death a thousand times in a thousand different places before:

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Thank you so much for the background info! Grrr, it sounds so good and I'm still super curious about the series, but I know my limits. I'd likely just wind up "watching" most of it tabbed out, like I do with everything else. 😂 Or as I prefer to call it - listening. "Oh yeah, I listened to movie that once!" Lol.

10 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

😒

lol you can handle horror you say ? look up chainsaw man, Berserk , Goblin Slayer, Corpse party. pretty sure those are iconic. dam good shows too. 

9 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

Bonbon maybe?

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.