A Healthy Debate: Avatar Regulations with loopholes Category: Anime Avatars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

No they are referring to what is called a lolicon and I get the feeling the OP is an anti. Which is their right, but I mean loli is a body type not a freakin child. But yeah I mean as long as they are following TOS and the owners discretion. I don't see a problem with that. 

honestly speaking. I have no real issue with avatar building if you are inspired by something and want to make it happen by all means do just that, but once you hit the adult side of things common sense is to steer clear on unwanted eyes.  overall I like cosplay and its great going to the conventions seeing their creations of work come alive and how much detail and mechanical/artistical they are at making that dream become something. 

Edited by DemonicSage

56 minutes ago, BookishMelinoe said:

Bonbon maybe?

Limerence and Ayashi too.  Dinkies use many of these as well and Dinkies are domestic house cats for the most of them.  Some Dinkies may consider themselves feral.  Cute hairs and definately anime style, especially Ayashi, I think.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As for this, I'm not sure what this means exactly. What is an "anime avatar," except for a character inspired by a particular (or entirely made up) animated film, television series, or video game, and why does creating one in Second Life require using one specific brand of heads and/or bodies? I'm curious why you're implying it's completely locked in like that. What did people do before those existed?

We adapted the system avatar, for the most part. I called my avatars anime-inspired, not because of notions of authenticity but because I didn't want to run afoul of copyright. It seems, in this thread, they are exclusively referring to certain brands of bodies/heads. In which case they shoulda said so from the start 😛

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

We adapted the system avatar, for the most part. I called my avatars anime-inspired, not because of notions of authenticity but because I didn't want to run afoul of copyright. It seems, in this thread, they are exclusively referring to certain brands of bodies/heads. In which case they shoulda said so from the start 😛

I tried to make an anime-inspired avie myself, back in ye olde system Ruth days (oh gosh...let's never return there again - nothing against those who still wear them, but making anything fantasy/monster/anime-inspired with the base SL avatar was a CHORE!). I remember hunting for the right dresses and gowns and hair and skins and makeup and oh boy, what a mess. 😂

I think, in this thread, the problem seems to be more with a specific anime head/body brand, and not anime/manga itself,  because for the love of all that's chocolate, I have no idea why anime as a genre would be a problem. There's anime for kids, anime for teens, anime for adults, anime in every flavor from horror to mystery to steampunk, on and on and on and on. And if you're someone who loves character design and fashion styling in SL, there is an absolutely endless bottomless pit of inspiration you can draw from it. So yeah, color me unsurprised that a ton of products on the grid are influenced by it. A ton of products in RL are influenced by it, too.

If there's an issue with a brand, well, there isn't much I can say about that. The main issue I personally have with heads/bodies actually labeled "anime" is they're still using old tech from what I can tell. I have NO desire whatsoever to leave BOM and return to appliers, Omega, etc. If someone were to make an SLUV or Evo X range of BOM heads (or even custom map that could use BOM), I'd pay far more attention to them. Though that said, everything I've seen in that range is super limited and barely supports character diversity. You can do humans and furries, but that's about it. Zero chance you're making anime monsters and creatures with those things, which is primarily what I'd be looking to do. But anyhoo, for anything anime-inspired, it makes the most sense to use current up-to-date heads to avoid fiddling with freakin' Omega! But that's just me, cuz I hate messing with that stuff. 😄

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

As a fan of anime, it makes me sad when people assume "anime" means hentai, loli, shota, yaoi, or anything else like that (or mis-use the word "anime" to mean those things).

The vast majority of anime is probably hentai or loli - highly sexualized, and it's making a lot of money for SL in shapes, clothing, blah, blah, as is highly sexualized Kawaii (however one spells that).  The non-sexualized anime is probably a small group in comparison.  So, with the title of the thread, what do you think people are going to think?  

And, to the OP< it's not LL's rules about sexualized children in adult acts, it's America's rules, as Drake said early on in this thread on Pg.1.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

As a fan of anime, it makes me sad when people assume "anime" means hentai, loli, shota, yaoi, or anything else like that (or mis-use the word "anime" to mean those things).

Yeah, it's sad to me as well. Not a huge anime fan but I am a brother to somebody in RL who is a superfan of the genre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

The vast majority of anime is probably hentai or loli - highly sexualized

This is patently false. Anime is, in general, is animation based on manga (Japanese comics), and has nothing to do with adult material. The majority of anime is created for "all ages".  

I am sorry to have to correct you, but your impression of "what anime is", is incorrect.

If you mean anime representation IN SECOND LIFE - then your statement may be unfortunately true.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, EliseAnne85 said:

The vast majority of anime is probably hentai or loli - highly sexualized, and it's making a lot of money for SL in shapes, clothing, blah, blah, as is highly sexualized Kawaii (however one spells that).  The non-sexualized anime is probably a small group in comparison.  So, with the title of the thread, what do you think people are going to think?  

And, it's not LL's rules about sexualized children in adult acts, it's America's rules.  

Ok, fair enough. But it still sucks. And no, I disagree (except for the puritanical BS thst fuels some of America's draconian rules). Yeah, the sexualized version may get more traction in SL, but true anime fans know that there's a much wider variety of topics covered in anime. It's not limited to sexuality. Anything you can think of as subject matter has been written and televised as anime.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Ok, fair enough. But it still sucks. And no, I disagree (except for the puritanical BS thst fuels some of America's draconian rules). Yeah, the sexualized version may get more traction in SL, but true anime fans know that there's a much wider variety of topics covered in anime. It's not limited to sexuality. Anything you can think of as subject matter has been written and televised as anime.

The controversial stuff gets the publicity.  For those not interested in anime, they don't know all the names or whatever or what's going on with anime but I know anime is not a bad name overall; however, others may not.  I had to Google what hentai was as Love said in his post.  I've never heard all those names Love mentioned in his post.  As far as if one is being "anime" in SL, it's allowed just like human children are allowed as long as it's not not children in sexual acts nor even near beds.  

21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This is patently false. Anime is, in general, is animation based on manga (Japanese comics), and has nothing to do with adult material. The majority of anime is created for "all ages".  

I am sorry to have to correct you, but your impression of "what anime is", is incorrect.

If you mean anime representation IN SECOND LIFE - then your statement may be unfortunately true.

I said SL in my post.  Yes, of course, I meant SL.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

That's a good song! Still not gonna get me to watch it, tho. 😜😄

Make avatars from it - maybe.

I went to the Anime Expo a few years back when Attack on Titan was released and you couldn't throw a rock and not hit an AoT cosplayer. 

On anime avatars in SL, I'm okay with it but I understand others do not. Those wearing anime should be aware, just like every other group within SL, that someone will not be sympathetic but the fact that SL can support all different interests is what makes it a great platform. 

• Like 1

I have two friends I see often at a club that have made adult looking anime characters with "*specific anime head/body brands" of both regular human and demon/beasties/monsters. It's not completely impossible. *One of them uses the Kuroo body which I believe one of you referenced and still passes as an adult in my book.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

The vast majority of anime is probably hentai or loli

hqdefault.jpg

Or to be more specific, I personally almost never see that in SL. If you're hanging around adult places then yeah, you'll see more X-rated content, but the anime avies I see around are PG.

19 minutes ago, MinkBlueleaf Fyrewik said:

I have two friends I see often at a club that have made adult looking anime characters with "*specific anime head/body brands" of both regular human and demon/beasties/monsters. It's not completely impossible. *One of them uses the Kuroo body which I believe one of you referenced and still passes as an adult in my book.

I think it's completely possible to make older anime characters with certain brands of heads. Fully convinced, though without demos and having to resort to messing with appliers/Omegas, I've not personally tried it, yet. I MIGHT let myself be tempted to tinker with them, though, because the heads (especially the furry ones) are too dang cute.

As for demons and monsters...with THOSE? I need to see that immediately!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I went to the Anime Expo a few years back when Attack on Titan was released and you couldn't throw a rock and not hit an AoT cosplayer. 

Lmao! Cosplayers are so dang committed, too, so I can imagine some of those costumes were wild. I'm fascinated with how much work they put into making their outfits. I love browsing Pinterest and Insta and Twitter just to see what kind of silly mess they come up with. At least here in SL, we don't need to learn freaking armorsmithing and leatherworking  to put a good look together. 😂

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I guess they don't have subscriptions to Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney+, or Funimation to help shape their opinions.

I don't even watch anime, but I'm familiar with a bunch of the dang things because they're all over my streaming services. And I'm sure I'll give in one day and watch something and get addicted and binge the entire collection like the rest of you nutty fans. 😄

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I guess they don't have subscriptions to Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney+, or Funimation to help shape their opinions.

I don't even watch anime, but I'm familiar with a bunch of the dang things because they're all over my streaming services. And I'm sure I'll give in one day and watch something and get addicted and binge the entire collection like the rest of you nutty fans. 😄

..and Cartoon Network..

There have been anime for years that are broadcast / on cable even during "daylight hours" - family friendly.

Peeve: Anime with LGBT relationships is OK in Japan for normal public broadcast, but not so much here in the US.  

ETA: I guess the most popular "family-friendly" anime I can recall that really made it "big" here in the US (with game tie-ins, etc.) were: Pokemon, Naruto, Dragonball Z.. gee, the list gets long pretty quick.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Or to be more specific, I personally almost never see that in SL. If you're hanging around adult places then yeah, you'll see more X-rated content, but the anime avies I see around are PG.

I don't go to X-rated places.  I meant the vast majority of anime-inspired hentai on Marketplace.  It's all over the place.  

The few animes I've seen inworld tend to be not X-rated, same as you've seen.  But, that is about only a handful of animes I've actually encountered.  

But, the MP, yeesh is full of it, the hentai, the loli, even in the pictures used for popular stores - child face of about 5 to 12 years, exaggerated super curvy body. Just search Milan Shape for one.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

46 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..and Cartoon Network..

There have been anime for years that are broadcast / on cable even during "daylight hours" - family friendly.

Kids watching anime?! 

faint-cute.gif

Okay more seriously, I grew up on shows/comedy/standup/films/you name it with actual mature humor, so this topic makes me giggle. But yeah, like...some of the stuff that blows up in popularity is completely family-friendly. Not to mention the gaming industry and how much anime influences that. It is truly media that has something for every demographic one could think of. Obviously, not everything will be appropriate for all audiences, but quite a lot of it is.

There is nothing about anime being popular in SL that surprises me. Well, that, and KPop. But that's a whole other discussion. I can't even shop for poses without seeing microphone voguing all over the place. 😄

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Anime with LGBT relationships is OK in Japan for normal public broadcast, but not so much here in the US.  

This I did not know. Not really surprised, but obviously, can't get into that here!

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

ETA: I guess the most popular "family-friendly" anime I can recall that really made it "big" here in the US (with game tie-ins, etc.) were: Pokemon, Naruto, Dragonball Z.. gee, the list gets long pretty quick.

I'm never going to stop marveling at how Pokémon actually got parents, kids, adults, and teens out into neighborhoods to hunt for monsters to capture, LOL.

29 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I don't go to X-rated places.  I meant the vast majority of anime-inspired hentai on Marketplace.  It's all over the place.

Just a quick clarification. What you're referring to is a whole different genre, aimed solely at the over 18 audience. If you find it on the webz, it's usually on a site that might ask you to verify you're 18 years or older. 😄 To contrast, anime is an all ages medium.

Using US standards here - some anime is rated G, some rated PG, some PG-13, some R, some MA. In the television world, MA would be more for language, a sex scene or two, violence, etc. For games, an M rating would include much of the same, and is aimed at 17-year-olds and older. Resident Evil gets an M, due to violence/gore mostly. That type of thing.

What you're talmbout is straight up XXX. That's 18+, no exceptions. It might be anime-inspired, but any good site not looking to catch the law's hands will stress the models (even drawn) are over 18.

As far as SL's concerned, if you're finding items on the marketplace in the over 18/adult product range that are using actual children's products to advertise (like the toddler bodies/heads/skins, etc.), just report it. If they're wearing Kupra and Avalon, I wouldn't even pay attention, but that's just me. You can report that too, if you want, but there's no guarantee LL will move on it.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As far as SL's concerned, if you're finding items on the marketplace in the over 18/adult product range that are using actual children's products to advertise (like the toddler bodies/heads/skins, etc.), just report it. If they're wearing Kupra and Avalon, I wouldn't even pay attention, but that's just me. You can report that too, if you want, but there's no guarantee LL will move on it.

I wouldn't report it.  Toddler stuff and the adult section I've never seen but I don't play Adult much in SL so I don't look in that section.  I'm a Dinkie cat.  I went searching pre-Black Friday for shapes as I was going to make an adult human for this account but decided to wait.  That's when I found the child faces with the hyper-sexualized bodies while searching for shapes.

As far as looking that way, I'm not sure exactly it's against the TOS.  What is against the TOS is doing adult sexual activates in a child avatar.  But, these are like half child by the face, and half woman by the body.  I would not report it either.   However, many SL sims may not allow child looking faced avatars with a woman's body.  But, I think one can be that in their own home.  It's going places people might find sims object to their being there even though the body is that of a grown woman, it's the face that's not.

As far as anime, I'd be all for some heads that look cute and 18+ in what most people think as the Classic anime style.  But, the eyes not so big perhaps.  

10 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I wouldn't report it.  Toddler stuff and the adult section I've never seen but I don't play Adult much in SL so I don't look in that section.  I'm a Dinkie cat.  I went searching pre-Black Friday for shapes as I was going to make an adult human for this account but decided to wait.  That's when I found the child faces with the hyper-sexualized bodies while searching for shapes.

As far as looking that way, I'm not sure exactly it's against the TOS.  What is against the TOS is doing adult sexual activates in a child avatar.  But, these are like half child by the face, and half woman by the body.  I would not report it either.   However, many SL sims may not allow child looking faced avatars with a woman's body.  But, I think one can be that in their own home.  It's going places people might find sims object to their being there even though the body is that of a grown woman, it's the face that's not.

As far as anime, I'd be all for some heads that look cute and 18+ in what most people think as the Classic anime style.  But, the eyes not so big perhaps.  

Have you ever seen Asian women? Like RL Asian women? My neighbor is 37 and looks of an age with my 18 year old daughter.  She and her sister could easily walk into any High School and fit in perfectly with looks just judged by how old they appear. Young looking faces does not a child make. Its not even remotely against the ToS to look young. Its what you say and how you act that matters.

If you look and talk like a little kid and engage in adult activities, then yes you should be reported. Just looking young isnt an issue. The OP is trying to cause a stir that has been hashed out a hundred times. 

IBTL

Can we get this locked please? Its a stupid argument that has gone far from the OP into a discussion of what anime is good. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

As far as looking that way, I'm not sure exactly it's against the TOS.  What is against the TOS is doing adult sexual activates in a child avatar.  But, these are like half child by the face, and half woman by the body.

I get what you're saying, and you're not wrong, but I really want to stress that in these situations, it's really important to be 1000% exact with what you're describing (not you yourself but just the general you), especially when making reports to LL. If for no other reason than to be absolutely sure what you're reporting, because a creator's entire business is potentially on the line.

So, if you're saying there are "child faces with the hyper-sexualized bodies," that gives me the impression that someone is using an actual kid's head or skin product to advertise something very adult in their business. That'd be a huuuuuge problem that LL should immediately be made aware of. However, if you mean the heads are from Lelutka, Catwa, AK's adult line, LOGO, etc., and the skin is say, Velour, then that is not exactly a "child's" face. Best case scenario, it's a youthful-looking face made with a fully adult product. Worst case, someone trying to be slick, but that's a whole different issue than someone rolling up with something chosen from AK's children's head line and slapping it on a Reborn+Juicy to sell something in the adult category. That'd be a BIG yikes!

This is kind of where these things go wonky, and no, we don't know for sure whether LL would step in with an adult head/body that looks questionable and yeet the store/product into the sun or nah. Maybe if it's TOO close to the line. Maybe not. But the other scenario stands a pretty good chance at getting someone clapped.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.