Copycat...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some people are just like that. I used to know one person a few years ago that would do the same and not just to me, but to a few more people she knew. And if it wasn't inspectable, like animations/poses/skins/makeup for example, then she'd keep asking. I didn't mind it during the first few (quite a few really) times, but then it became rather annoying as it would happen every single time she'd see me with something she didn't recognize. I've ignored her, and then later blocked (one of a very few non spammers on my block list) as ignoring didn't really help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benchthis said:

Sounds like an appearance in·cog·ni·to mode to prevend after right click interaction if only to report object but to avoid giving specific details about every object wearing like walking billboard for advertisments. I only wear demos now. I chose to be advertisements. After discovering the destination guide directory I was able to build him with from scratch with all the resourses. Cute huh? 

Annotation 2023-02-22 152053.png

Ha! I used to do that lool Be a walking demo. Maybe it's time to revist that xD

• Like 1

I actually had someone, who I initially thought could be a potential friend, copy numerous parts of my profile, word for word.  That, to me, was far worse than someone trying to copy my look.  They weren't random quotes either.  They were things I said about myself and my SL.  Never said a word to her about it.  Never spoke to her again although I do still have something in my profile about her.  Petty, I know.  😂

• Like 4

I spent most of my time as a neko...so I was a literal 'copy cat' 😻

But there was a time somebody was telling others in the group a story about a RL childhood holiday...and it was a complete copy of something I'd told them  before 🤥 even though I was there! They must have forgotten who they stole it from 🤣

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I spent most of my time as a neko...so I was a literal 'copy cat' 😻

But there was a time somebody was telling others in the group a story about a RL childhood holiday...and it was a complete copy of something I'd told them  before 🤥 even though I was there! They must have forgotten who they stole it from 🤣

That's how stories get passed on!! Funny that you were there to witness it.

All they had to do, to be honest, is say "this story happened to someone else".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

I would have said (in local chat) something like "Wow, what a coincidence! The exact same thing happend to me too! Remember, I told you about it a few months ago?"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I noticed this phenomenon a lot in the Roleplay communities when I was there, years ago; whenever a person sported a new hair or a new gown or a new AO or a new sword or whatever else... the same thing would magically appear on everybody else the next day until it became "mainstream."  When a group of people do it it feels social; on the other hand when a person deliberately focuses on, mirrors and mimics another person obviously and actively, it feels anti-social and totally creepy.  To be the focus of someone's attention in that way makes us feel targeted and uncomfortable.

The only way I could see handling something like that is to deprive the person of me; to simply be where they are not. 

On the one hand, if it's a friend of mine then I feel like it would be easy enough to talk it through with them and try to arrange different "looks" that keep our separate and distinct personalities happy; on the other hand, if it's not a friend of mine then I feel like being where they aren't is pretty easy to do. 

Edited by Lyric Demina
(forgot to add the other hand; wandering around the forum one-handed...)
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lyric Demina said:

whenever a person sported a new hair or a new gown or a new AO or a new sword or whatever else... the same thing would magically appear on everybody else the next day until it became "mainstream." 

That gives me an idea. 

If someone is bothered by a copycat, try wearing a Freenis on your forehead.  If they copy that, the sky's the limit!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That gives me an idea. 

If someone is bothered by a copycat, try wearing a Freenis on your forehead.  If they copy that, the sky's the limit!

/me borrows someone's spork and ever so gently pokes Love with it.  *facepalm*

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2023 at 9:01 AM, Lyric Demina said:

when a person deliberately focuses on, mirrors and mimics another person obviously and actively, it feels anti-social and totally creepy.  To be the focus of someone's attention in that way makes us feel targeted and uncomfortable.

This! Exactly this.

So far what I'm doing, since they don't seem to stop and tada surprise surprise, they are now wearing another item I do on a daily, is change my avatar from something cute to creepy to just random things put together lool. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mousy Littlepaws said:

This! Exactly this.

So far what I'm doing, since they don't seem to stop and tada surprise surprise, they are now wearing another item I do on a daily, is change my avatar from something cute to creepy to just random things put together lool. 

Get  modifiable things and full perm things and  texture or color them yourself...a lot of times you can edit and remove or add other mod things to other mod items..

It's a lot of fun to do things like that anyways, but it'll drive them crazy trying to find  your stuff now.. hehehe

Because the last thing you link will show as the creator for the whole thing..

It's probably best to learn how to do those things before you do though, if you don't already know how.. Just thought I would add that part in there before i forgot.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

Designing your own wearable items from full perm kits can be a tedious thing if you aren't used to doing it (I should've mentioned that when I initially suggested it - my bad). Even as someone who used to make and sell prim jewelry way back in the day, I'll spend a few hours just building accessories using a mix of full perms and mod items buried in my black pit of an inventory, and I don't even mess with texturing. I just use the defaults that come with each thing (in most cases, they're good enough to keep - especially for every day items like pencils or strawberries or whatever). At most, I'll do some tinting. Most of the work for me goes into the "decorating" and arranging and of course, fitting.

Unless you really love making and wearing custom wearables, that's going to get real old real fast if you have to do it so often.

Is not hanging out with said person just not an option? Cuz...that seems a lot easier. 😄

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Is not hanging out with said person just not an option? Cuz...that seems a lot easier

Frankly, if it start to feel uneasy when someone is copying each time what I do with my avatar, I would use the mute/ignore button, friend or not, on that person. I don't mind, when someone ask what I am wearing, to inform that person with needed leads.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Designing your own wearable items from full perm kits can be a tedious thing if you aren't used to doing it (I should've mentioned that when I initially suggested it - my bad). Even as someone who used to make and sell prim jewelry way back in the day, I'll spend a few hours just building accessories using a mix of full perms and mod items buried in my black pit of an inventory, and I don't even mess with texturing. I just use the defaults that come with each thing (in most cases, they're good enough to keep - especially for every day items like pencils or strawberries or whatever). At most, I'll do some tinting. Most of the work for me goes into the "decorating" and arranging and of course, fitting.

Unless you really love making and wearing custom wearables, that's going to get real old real fast if you have to do it so often.

Is not hanging out with said person just not an option? Cuz...that seems a lot easier. 😄

You can always just link in a new root prim and have it show as this when they try to get name of the item.

STOP INSPECTING MEH! \o/

hehehe

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/24/2023 at 3:28 PM, Mousy Littlepaws said:

This! Exactly this.

So, when you go shopping are you looking at the pictures of the models wearing the clothes or the hair's before you buy it. How dare you copy them, according to the way you think nobody else out of the thousands of people who log in can look anything like you. This has to be the craziest post ever.

Edited by Torrie Mint
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Torrie Mint said:

This has to be the craziest post ever.

Then you haven't read very many posts. Perhaps you should read the entire thread and maybe then you will see that this is about one particular person copying or mirroring everything about one other particular person. I think what's going on is creepy and sad, too. How empty the copier must feel, how invisible. When I was younger in SL, I probably would have reacted in a different way to something like this. But, now that I've been around a while and recognize that not all of us in SL are "healthy" and that the rest of us are not obliged to function as caregivers or therapists, I would simply mute, block,, and walk away.  

• Thanks 1

I'm working on a new set of boots that, when they go to look at where to get them, it'll be from me..

It's two separate boots.. One is called Ceka's Fancy ass left boot and the other is Ceka's Fancy ass right boot..

I just want to see if anyone does IM me  about them.. hehehehe

Like a siietific Sperramint😁

Edited by Ceka Cianci
Just keeping my typo record alive

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.