Right Click "Wear Items"

Charalyne Blackwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

43 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Wow! So much hot air created over what is a seemingly reasonable request!

Back in the day we had "Torley's Tips" Torley Lindens little videos explaining how SL worked, including how to wear things.  They should be mandatory for all new residents, and then perhaps the above caveats can be seen as reasonable.

Of course I don't think Torley's little lectures exist in the "modern" era of SL.  Perhaps they should.

@Torley Linden?

Just adding a bit more hot air to this thread. :) 

It would be great if more newbies were directed to the tutorials (and I think they are during the initial orientation process), but our beloved Torley exited stage left a couple of years ago and Strawberry Linden now creates the tutorial videos that can be found on Youtube. 

Trouble is, a lot of newbies just want to be able to do everything quickly, and even I, as an oldie, feel defeated by some of the modern ways so even a tutorial wouldn't be of any use. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Aishagain said:

Wow! So much hot air created over what is a seemingly reasonable request!

Back in the day we had "Torley's Tips" Torley Lindens little videos explaining how SL worked, including how to wear things.  They should be mandatory for all new residents, and then perhaps the above caveats can be seen as reasonable.

Of course I don't think Torley's little lectures exist in the "modern" era of SL.  Perhaps they should.

@Torley Linden?

OK then  @Strawberry Linden?  Hmm so I cannot tag her.  Great, I can still tag Torley who is gawn, yet unable to tag the Linden who was formerly known as Strawberry Singh.

Tagging @Strawberry Linden works fine.

I guess I need to explain it for the people in front. I do NOT use "wear", but when trying to remove items sometimes the pointer ends up on "wear", causing the entire contents of the folder to be worn. This is not a newbie action. The two should not be side by side. Or there should be the warning mentioned in the first post.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I guess I need to explain it for the people in front. I do NOT use "wear", but when trying to remove items sometimes the pointer ends up on "wear", causing the entire contents of the folder to be worn. This is not a newbie action. The two should not be side by side. Or there should be the warning mentioned in the first post.

ahh.. a classic lag-trap issue...then the Viewer needs a little menu editing...shouldn't be beyond the ability of a Linden Lab coder, I would've thought.

There is something I don't understand.

For me, I do always use add, when I don't select the wrong option! For some items, add is not an option. The only option is wear and sometimes, the only way to remove that item is by wearing a different one. So, for example, my brows shape only allows wear. I cannot remove it, I can only replace it with another brows shape. There are other examples.

If wear was removed, how will it work for those things I have, that only allows wear?

11 minutes ago, Hani Morningstar said:

For me, I do always use add, when I don't select the wrong option! For some items, add is not an option. The only option is wear and sometimes, the only way to remove that item is by wearing a different one. So, for example, my brows shape only allows wear. I cannot remove it, I can only replace it with another brows shape. There are other examples.

If wear was removed, how will it work for those things I have, that only allows wear?

Hadn't thought of that.  Shape, skin, brow shape and eyes could use replace as that is what you're doing.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Hani Morningstar said:

The viewer can be smart enough to know about singleton items and not attempt to try and add more than one .. skin, for example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hani Morningstar said:

The basic 4 -- shape, skin, eyes, brow shape.  Those always have to be worn and you can only ever wear one of them.  So 'add' isn't really applicable.

However, in FIrestorm, in the inventory control (the gear), if you check the below options, then you can just double-click on the shape/skin/eye/brow that you want to replace with and it will do so.  The double-click is really just saying to 'add' the item, but Firestorm is smart enough to know that for those 4 it must actually do a "replace".

image.png.39d0377e50ce206dc8a070624a761750.png

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The basic 4 -- shape, skin, eyes, brow shape.  Those always have to be worn and you can only ever wear one of them.  So 'add' isn't really applicable.

However, in FIrestorm, in the inventory control (the gear), if you check the below options, then you can just double-click on the shape/skin/eye/brow that you want to replace with and it will do so.  The double-click is really just saying to 'add' the item, but Firestorm is smart enough to know that for those 4 it must actually do a "replace".

image.png.39d0377e50ce206dc8a070624a761750.png

Thanks, but I use the LL Viewer.

6 hours ago, Hani Morningstar said:

If the "wear" option was removed from objects so that they could only be "added," the two options could be renamed to the same thing. You wouldn't even know there were two kinds of "wear" actions.

This can even be done right now, in any viewer based on LL's code. All of the viewer menus are configured in plain-text. You can remove/rename them how ever you like.

22 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

The function is different - not redundant.

It does not matter to a user if the function is different, it's the utter confusion the terms "add" versus "wear" cause for many users. Two things .. they sound like they do the same thing, yet one causes problems by removing something a user did not know would be removed. Users, especially new ones, have no knowledge of the hidden concept of attachment points.

Wear knocks stuff off an avatar unexpectedly, and causes many users to go "WTF?" because it gives no warning such as "You're about to wear a hat that will remove your hair."

Add, as a function, in my example, simply plops the hat onto your hair. It may not look right, but didn't knock your hair off.

Add should be the default, Wear needs to go away.

If you like, make it Add/Remove or Wear/Take Off but stop removing items without warning with this Wear function. It's not explained and causes pain for users. Getting rid of (or minimizing) pain points is the PRIMARY goal of good user experience design.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

It does not matter to a user if the function is different, it's the utter confusion the terms "add" versus "wear" cause for many users. Two things .. they sound like they do the same thing, yet one causes problems by removing something a user did not know would be removed. Users, especially new ones, have no knowledge of the hidden concept of attachment points.

Wear knocks stuff off an avatar unexpectedly, and causes many users to go "WTF?" because it gives no warning such as "You're about to wear a hat that will remove your hair."

Add, as a function, in my example, simply plops the hat onto your hair. It may not look right, but didn't knock your hair off.

Add should be the default, Wear needs to go away.

If you like, make it Add/Remove or Wear/Take Off but stop removing items without warning with this Wear function. It's not explained and causes pain for users. Getting rid of (or minimizing) pain points is the PRIMARY goal of good user experience design.

I'll make this simple: I don't care.

The two are different functions and if you're conflating them ... your problem.

I've already stated that the proper course of action should be to make it clear that Wear replaces whatever is on the target attachment point. That there ought to be proper documentation as well as a tooltip for it.

Mouse cursor slipped? That's nice! Having the function grouped with Add and the Attach options makes perfect sense. Not paying attention? On you.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Mouse cursor slipped? That's nice! Having the function grouped with Add and the Attach options makes perfect sense. Not paying attention? On you.

Lag doesn't care whether you are paying attention or not, Solar, you know that as well as I.  9 times of 10 the wear/add error is the product of unexpected lag and it is not constant or predictable, you know that as well.

Your case re- tooltips and documentation is sensible, but we all know how keen most users are to read documentation!

Most of the foregoing comments are essentially mildly hysterical fluff, if LL thought it woth fiddling in the viewer menus the'd've done it years ago.  I learned to value "add" years ago via the old RLV restriction where "attach to" really made you concenttrate if you wished to avoid broken content.  I would not wish a return to that on anyone!

Edited by Aishagain

Just now, Aishagain said:

Lag doesn't care whether you are paying attention or not, Solar, you know that as well as I.  9 times of 10 the wear/add error is the product of unexpected lag,and it is not constant and predictable, you know that as well.

Your case re- tooltips and documentation is sensible, but we all know how keen most users are to read documentation!

Most of the foregoing comments are essentially mildly hysterical fluff, if LL thought it woth fiddling in the viewer menus the'd've done it years ago.  I learned to value "add" years ago via the old RLV restriction where "attach to" really made you concenttrate if you wished to avoid broken content.  I would not wish a return to that on anyone!

I'm aware, yes. I just don't care much - I take my time and ensure my cursor is where I intend it to be for precisely that reason.

A habit I learned elsewhere. A habit that frankly and in my own opinion everyone ought to have. If it is not time critical, take your time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here we are - people pretending that there's some massive problem that needs to be solved that is in actuality caused by lag (out of their control), simply not paying attention (within their control) and/or being in too much of a rush (also within their control) - among other things which all amount to the following: This is a non-issue that has a solution which has already been outlined and which does not require the moving or removal of a function.

Imagine that!

I don't care how much it frustrates some - this falls into the above categories.

• Like 1

LL could just ban the word wear. They have other filters so the cops won't arrest you.

Wear is simply useless.  But a wonderful griefing tool.

So much content still has the word (Wear) on the object name.  Only a few enlightened designers seem to understand the correct term is Add.

If I want to watch a newbie panic, sent them a hat that says "wear".  There are thousands of them still around.  They lose their hair.  Real funny.

Or send them something to hold in their hands. It will say "wear", and their hands and possible other attached items will vanish.  Very funny.

Why does LL encourage griefing newbies?  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

I'll make this simple: I don't care.

Yet here we are, constantly stepping over piles of not-caring.

I love those threads!

I mean, the ones where the OP starts out, "I don't care about [this topic] but maybe someone will be interested".

Literally!

5 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Wear is simply useless.  But a wonderful griefing tool.

This is what tripped up my newbie .. the item said "wear" so she did .. It was a particularly frustrating experience and had her wondering if SL was just broken.

For r.clicking on single objects, dumping the existing 'wear' functionality over the side and making 'wear' do exactly what 'add' does 99% of the time is probably the best solution. 

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Yet here we are, constantly stepping over piles of not-caring.

I do care, I LOVE the 'wear' option, when used correctly.

I 'wear' hair, because I WANT the new hair to replace the old hair, and because I'm smart enough to take my time and not miss click, and because I don't want to end up wearing two hairs at once, and because I damn well check all my hairs attach to the skull.

I 'wear' shoes too, as they are all attached to my left foot, and I don't want to wear two pairs at once.

There's a lot of demand for 'positivity' suggestions recently, so here's one.

EVERYONE suggesting the removal of 'wear' is automatically assumed to have volunteered for MANDATORY COMMUNITY SERVICE on the "Why am I wearing 38 hairs" helpline.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.