3 hours ago, JetReigns said:

I tried some clubs, those are the dead silent places I was talking about lol. I guess everyone is in IMs...

Try more / different clubs, then. Someone gave you suggestions in another thread and offered more. 

3 hours ago, JetReigns said:

I'm not sure if the hubs I'm thinking of are the same ones you're talking about. I've been to the Firestorm one? It's not very lively.

Nope, not that kind of hub. I'm talking about where chaos totally reigns and there's annoying chat and gestures 24/7. I'd suggest one but I avoid those places like the plague on monkeypox.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JetReigns said:

I'm no stranger to making friends online. It just sounds like we have completely different preferences when it comes to socializing.

I am infinitely more comfortable getting to know people in a group conversation than I am one on one. That "come and go" is exactly what I crave.

We're alike, it seems. Fortunately, there are plenty of other people like us in SL. You just have to find them, the same way you do in RL.  Hang out in places where people tend to congregate for that sort of interaction.  Look for groups that you share a common interest with ( role play, sports, religious activities, .. ) or places where there's likely to be more interaction. When I arrived in SL, I went to the Community Virtual Library because I figured that librarians usually like to talk. (They do. I spent much of the next 7 years there, helping build educational features.) I wanted to learn LSL scripting, so I joined a scripting group and got to know some of the best scripters at the time. Some of those librarians and scripters are my best friends in SL today.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Peeve: Stupid trends in SL, like these ears which I think is about to become a thing. I have seen it in a few adverts by different creators now.  Its not hurting me, I don't have to buy it but I CAN STILL BE PEEVED! 😆

xPJwhOf.png

Oh, those. Swallow's been selling those for a long time now. Usually with the plugs, but I've seen a bunch without.

That might be the one trend I don't mind, since it's a RL one I've seen around a lot. I think I'm desensitized to it.😄

Just wait until people find out there's a free slapper for it. Now there's a trend I can do without!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Peeve: Stupid trends in SL, like these ears which I think is about to become a thing. I have seen it in a few adverts by different creators now.  Its not hurting me, I don't have to buy it but I CAN STILL BE PEEVED! 😆

xPJwhOf.png

When I see those in RL, all I can think of is, omg i bet those are at the top of the grab and rip list when a fight rolls around..

Rather than just get your earring now, they get the half of your ears.. OUCH!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh, those. Swallow's been selling those for a long time now. Usually with the plugs, but I've seen a bunch without.

That might be the one trend I don't mind, since it's a RL one I've seen around a lot. I think I'm desensitized to it.😄

Just wait until people find out there's a free slapper for it. Now there's a trend I can do without!

They sure seemed to have  a few ears like that on that store run last week too..

The one store, I think Adore maybe? they had all kinds of free ears there.. I'll probably never use any of them, but I grabbed them all.. LOL

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Those are the newer ones.  The stretched holes.  I have both!  The stretched ones do come with the option for them.to swing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They sure seemed to have  a few ears like that on that store run last week too..

The one store, I think Adore maybe? they had all kinds of free ears there.. I'll probably never use any of them, but I grabbed them all.. LOL

Yeah, Andore's also got tons. With and without plugs. And Pumec (all with plugs, I believe). Mandala, too.

I love the plug/tunnel versions and wear them fairly often. I'm still tempted to get that done in RL - the small plugs, not the big ones. So much pretty jewelry for those.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Those are the newer ones.  The stretched holes.  I have both!  The stretched ones do come with the option for them.to swing.

Oh are they new? I saw they have some dropped ears on the MP with reviews going back to 2017. I think the ones sold now are rigged for Evo X only though. I think? Don't quote me.

Wait yeah, the older ones I was thinking of are unrigged for all heads. Like Pumec's, pretty much. They're whole attachments. The main version out in store now is only for Evo X heads.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh are they new? I saw they have some dropped ears on the MP with reviews going back to 2017. I think the ones sold now are rigged for Evo X only though. I think? Don't quote me.

Wait yeah, the older ones I was thinking of are unrigged for all heads. Like Pumec's, pretty much. They're whole attachments. The main version out in store now is only for Evo X heads.

The ones I have are from Swallow and came out in October?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Swallow-Dropped-for-lel-Evo-X-Ears-f/24106067

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

The ones I have are from Swallow and came out in October?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Swallow-Dropped-for-lel-Evo-X-Ears-f/24106067

Yup, those are the newer ones.

These are what I was thinking of initially - https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Swallow-Drop-Ears/12033226

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: "Gauged" ears are also becoming a lot more popular in RL. 

Eww.

How are you going to get peeved at someone finding the perfect solution for lost house keys? 😂

I'm teasing - I've not really seen someone do that, but...I'm also rather surprised that I've not yet seen someone do that.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: "Gauged" ears are also becoming a lot more popular in RL. 

Eww.

We had younger people coming  into the plant I worked at and  having to tape their ears up or wear the big hearing protection head phone things.. There is just too much there that will catch or grab  and snatch those..

That was before the new company bought them.. Honestly, they were so injury scared  about tarnishing their record that  I wouldn't doubt they didn't hire people that had those.. Because I never seen anyone with ears like that there anymore after they took over..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JetReigns said:

Honestly, yes? I'm no stranger to making friends online. It just sounds like we have completely different preferences when it comes to socializing.

I am infinitely more comfortable getting to know people in a group conversation than I am one on one. That "come and go" is exactly what I crave. I'm comforted by the freedom to casually drop out of a conversation if it turns out that I'm not meshing well with the people involved. I want to banter, laugh, and play games with people until I find my people in the mix. That's how I met my best friend. We've had plenty of deep conversations in groups too, even on platforms as ridiculous as Roblox. I think "shallowness" is entirely symptomatic of how people treat a group conversation, not an innate quality of them. Besides, creeps are more likely to be creeps in IMs than in a group conversation.

you will be very fortunate to find a casual drop in drop out lively group chat like that in SL, especially one that isn't already well established and very much a clique. If you do, it will likely depend entirely on who is present. Sometimes a couple of likeable chatty people can inspire others to join in, however you can expect everyone to fall silent when the instigators depart.

People here put more of themselves out there which results in increased caution.

SL IM also allows for ad-hoc groups to be created (in addition to regular group chats), so its very easy for friend groups to isolate themselves from local while retaining their own group dynamic entirely in SL. It's also common for there to be external discord severs where the bulk of "text chat" activity happens, or for people to be in external voice calls with one or more person in any given location (this is especially true of family or limited interest groups).

None of this is or should be construed as a personal judgement about who is using SL. All platforms shape behavior and communication based upon the interfaces and context provided. The social situation as presented in SL (and the external work arounds/extensions) is an evolved result of it presenting the safest path of least resistance (rather than the easy assumption of "who are all these anti social weirdos").

It is notable this this is the only metaverse type virtual world with an active social population, all others intentionally trying to create the more exciting crowd focused experience are dead or dying. We've been at this almost 20 years, there are a lot of better engineered well funded corpses in our wake.

SL is different, and the reasons for that are complex and nuanced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2023 at 4:31 PM, Garnet Psaltery said:

Well, arguably I could now feel free to post a sermon and have that discussed, but it would be laughable to think I'd escape some sort of punishment for it, given the nature of this platform.  Perhaps you could be kind and let me know when this discussion ends?

You can post whatever you want (within the guidelines of course) but having it discussed requires that others find your post to be something they wish to comment on. Scylla began with a peeve, her dislike of a term.  Several people commented trying to understand what the term meant and why it peeved her. The discussion followed from that.  That's how it works.  You don't want to join in, that's fine.  Trying to make others responsible for what you want to see... well, good luck with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

You can post whatever you want (within the guidelines of course) but having it discussed requires that others find your post to be something they wish to comment on. Scylla began with a peeve, her dislike of a term.  Several people commented trying to understand what the term meant and why it peeved her. The discussion followed from that.  That's how it works.  You don't want to join in, that's fine.  Trying to make others responsible for what you want to see... well, good luck with that.

Whatever the merits of the subject under discussion the problem was that it didn't suit the topic.  @Quartz Molehas already spoken about this, and I wouldn't dream of posting a sermon, for the same reason, that it wouldn't suit the topic.

My peeve is that I expected to come and read something light-hearted, and found something else.  I'm not intending to start a whole discussion about that. :/ 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Whatever the merits of the subject under discussion the problem was that it didn't suit the topic.  @Quartz Molehas already spoken about this, and I wouldn't dream of posting a sermon, for the same reason, that it wouldn't suit the topic.

My peeve is that I expected to come and read something light-hearted, and found something else.  I'm not intending to start a whole discussion about that. :/ 

I think 1 or 2 posts would have been OK. Devolving into a lecture and "skirting" social justice issues is NOT OK.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Here's something to read.  Hope these are light hearted enough

Trying to find things in someone else's kitchen

This one made me laugh out loud because my first thought was - why would you be in someone else's kitchen putting away groceries when they aren't even home to just ask? 😄 Just how common is this situation?

I'm sure there's probably a good reason why someone might be (personal chef or something?), but I'm still pre-caffeinated.

Though, THIS ONE:

Parties that are just requests for presents

Is a mood. 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Trying to find things in someone else's kitchen

This one made me laugh out loud because my first thought was - why would you be in someone else's kitchen putting away groceries when they aren't even home to just ask? 😄 Just how common is this situation?

I'm sure there's probably a good reason why someone might be (personal chef or something?), but I'm still pre-caffeinated.

Though, THIS ONE:

Parties that are just requests for presents

Is a mood. 😂

I was helping cook in my sister's kitchen for Thanksgiving and Christmas  and I could really relate with that peeve.  Bad enough that things weren't where I thought they should be, there were things I considered staples that she didn't have. I was a little more prepared for it on Christmas but still wound up frustrated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kali Wylder said:

Here's something to read.  Hope these are light hearted enough

Crowding the airport gate can be translated to SL for those people who crowd up on a sale vendor.  I hate arriving at a weekend sale and seeing the majority of people jammed up against the vendor.  Thank god for the See Friends Only button.

• Like 4