I apostrophize Hallowe'en for three reasons, possibly more.

The three I am aware of are these:

1. I like archaic spellings, especially when it comes to archaic things, like ancient festivals.

2. People who are highly literate like being able to identify one another, and shibboleths like archaic spellings help us to do so.

3. It's always fun seeing people argue that lazy, modern misspellings are superior to slightly-less-lazy-but-still-kinda-lazy misspellings/contractions from the previous century or so. Just be grateful I'm not going arround insisting that it be called the Evening of All Hallows.

Bonus reason:

4. There isn't a single person on this forum or inworld who isn't pretending something, and don't kid yourselves. I own my nature, and am proud of it. If I couldn't pretend to be something I'm not, I wouldn't even be here. And what's worse, an educated person who comes from dirt but insists on fancy spellings, or people born to the higher classes who had every opportunity to better their intellects but decided to pretend they're "commoners" and talk like they grew up in the ghetto? I feel that celebrating our lost loved ones is something sacred, and if even sacred things have to be kept in the dirt and free of "pomp" and "pretentiousness", then what's everyone else's excuse for being so pompous and pretentious ALL THE TIME?

So: PEEVE: People who act like they're better than someone else because they think how they like to do things makes them that way, and that people who aren't just like them are somehow inferior.

• Thanks 1

Peeve:  Grammar Nazis     

The only place I expect my spelling, grammar etc to be graded (called out)  is in school.  The fact that there are multiple sets of rules to write by is just one more example of how ridiculous it can/has become.  The English language is a pain in the arse. 

Hats off to all who are superior in the English language.   Leave me and my lazy writing alone.  🤣

If you can't make out what I'm saying,  should be good enough for here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I don't have a peeve.  I just love this character. 

Ummmm.  Peeve: I haven't watched this movie in at least a year.

Oh, you've just reminded me of another peeve! 

I've spent the last few weeks actually using my Disney+ subscription (imagine that?) and re-watching the "Princesses Collection." No, really, that's how they categorize them.

Anyway, I haven't seen many of those movies in soooooooooooo long. And...I have unpopular opinions. Very, very unpopular opinions.

*Inhales and prepares whole chest with which to say this*

Those movies absolutely SUCK!

No, seriously. Huge peeve alert but oh my god - Ariel might be the most obnoxious one ever. I can't believe mini-me actually enjoyed that at one point in time. My gawd. 

And to make things worse, I actually watched some of the direct-to-video sequels, too. LOL. *Minor note - I'm excluding the music here. The music's fine and in some cases, really, really nice. It's just...gawd. The characters. Gawd. Gawd.

That said, the later/more recent movies seemed to take notice of that and made a lot of changes. It's so apparent. Hercules, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Princess & the Frog, Raya and the Last Dragon, Coco, Encanto, Brave, Tangled, Moana, Frozen I and II, etc. Hell, even the standalone Tinkerbell series is AWESOME and so fun compared to Cinderelly oh my freakin'...

Funny enough - I found Cinderella III: A Twist in Time pretty enjoyable. Don't even ask, I don't know! It had a far more intriguing plot. Skip the second one, though - the reviews are embarrassing.

Warned y'all I was grumpy today, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh, and yeah, I might spell things differently than is considered cool by most people, but at least I don't go around telling them they're wrong for not using my spellings. I've never been one to believe in blind conformity, either to tradition, or to the accepted, modern, butchered forms thereof. Even traditions are butchered versions of previous traditions. Such is life.

I do second the grammar-nazi peeve. Especially since most people who go around trying to correct everyone else are usually doing so in an attempt to ignore and neglect working on their own perceived flaws. Like control freaks, and their thinly-veiled lack of self-control, it's usually sore-thumb obvious what they're doing it for.

Like zipper nazis at a Rennaisance festival, calling everyone out for "not being period" while hoping nobody notices they're wearing Rayon.

I'm can tell Rayon from cotton. Boy, does that annoy them.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh, you've just reminded me of another peeve! 

I've spent the last few weeks actually using my Disney+ subscription (imagine that?) and re-watching the "Princesses Collection." No, really, that's how they categorize them.

Anyway, I haven't seen many of those movies in soooooooooooo long. And...I have unpopular opinions. Very, very unpopular opinions.

*Inhales and prepares whole chest with which to say this*

Those movies absolutely SUCK!

No, seriously. Huge peeve alert but oh my god - Ariel might be the most obnoxious one ever. I can't believe mini-me actually enjoyed that at one point in time. My gawd. 

And to make things worse, I actually watched some of the direct-to-video sequels, too. LOL. *Minor note - I'm excluding the music here. The music's fine and in some cases, really, really nice. It's just...gawd. The characters. Gawd. Gawd.

That said, the later/more recent movies seemed to take notice of that and made a lot of changes. It's so apparent. Hercules, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Princess & the Frog, Raya and the Last Dragon, Coco, Encanto, Brave, Tangled, Moana, Frozen I and II, etc. Hell, even the standalone Tinkerbell series is AWESOME and so fun compared to Cinderelly oh my freakin'...

Funny enough - I found Cinderella III: A Twist in Time pretty enjoyable. Don't even ask, I don't know! It had a far more intriguing plot. Skip the second one, though - the reviews are embarrassing.

Warned y'all I was grumpy today, LOL.

Why were they so bad? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Why were they so bad? 

I can't speak for Ayashe, but I do agree about them. In my case, I get tired of things that turn into nothing but self-reference-laden fanservice and drop all attempts at being their own thing.

Like cartoons based on popular movies, where the dialog is nothing but mixed-and-matched quotes of memorable lines from the movies, and there's no real further development of story or characters, just basically an ad for the fandom, and a reminder that at least the movie was good when it was new.

So much of what is put out is just fodder for fangirls, and it turns vapid really quick.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Why were they so bad? 

Well, it's my highly, highly subjective opinion at work here. I'd certainly never fault anyone else for liking them because the enjoyment of all entertainment is subjective, buuuuut...

The plots in the earlier movies are often rather...basic? And the characters just accept all kinds of mess. And they don't really have a whole lot of depth. That all improves as the movies get more and more modern, but ya know.

Taking Cinderella as an example, I had so many questions about what happened - but yet, she never did. She never once questioned a random woman appearing in front of her while crying alone in the backyard? I guess not, considering the mice talk and sing and tried to design her a whole gown (the cutest part of the movie, I'll admit)... but ya know, let's just go with it. The woman just shows up and she's entirely okay with this. She listens to her and trusts her right off the bat. Magic happens and she never asks why/how. Things just sparkling and changing before her eyes. She takes her word for it, hops into a carriage that was a pumpkin mere moments before (I personally would've fainted by now, just sayin'...) and rides off to the ball. Okay...giving her the benefit of the doubt here. She realllllllly wanted to go. Fine.

She gets there, makes an appearance, this random guy wanders up to her and asks to dance. Okay...that's alright I suppose. But not even a mini conversation first? Alright. Suddenly, she's swept away. There still haven't been many (any?) words exchanged. Hmm. Oh gosh, hours have gone by and I need to run before I'm caught out looking a whole mess and my wig gets snatched. Peace, brah, thanks for the dance! Leaves her shoe behind. Yeets self into carriage that was a pumpkin a few hours earlier and rides home right before all hell breaks loose and her pumpkin rolls out under her.

Next day, Princeypoo's men show up talmbout yo, anyone here got feet? She's like omg yaaas I have feet. I know that shoe that's my glass Louboutin, I'd recognize it anywhere! Not once thinking maybe other girls at the ball had random women with sparkly wands show up in their backyards and bless them with couture threads and pumpkin carriages? Okay...but it doesn't matter anyway because now she's locked in a tower and has to rely on her stylish mice friends to bail her out of jail.

Her sisters try on the Louboutin and of course it doesn't fit because nobody else in the entire kingdom rocks a size 7. Anyway, she busts out of jail and runs into the room like hang on, I said I have feet, damn. And of course, the Louboutin gets tossed to the ground by her shady stepmother, so she randomly pulls the other out of her apron and yet again, doesn't even try to question how everything else given to her by the random woman in the backyard changed back at midnight and/or disappeared into thin air, but this apparently rather delicate pair of glass Louboutins didn't? We're just not going to talk about that?

Anyway, the shoe of course fits because again, nobody else wears her size, so she's rushed off to marry the Prince she still hasn't had a proper conversation with (and don't even try and say they talked out on the balcony after the dance - that's not enough time for him to enter into a prenup-less marriage with a random woman who nobody in the entire kingdom has ever seen before!).

I know, I know, original fables tales stories, I know. But you'd think they would maybe...make their version make some sense? Nah? Okay. 😂 Well now it's a peeve.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Well, it's my highly, highly subjective opinion at work here. I'd certainly never fault anyone else for liking them because the enjoyment of all entertainment is subjective, buuuuut...

The plots in the earlier movies are often rather...basic? And the characters just accept all kinds of mess. And they don't really have a whole lot of depth. That all improves as the movies get more and more modern, but ya know.

Taking Cinderella as an example, I had so many questions about what happened - but yet, she never did. She never once questioned a random woman appearing in front of her while crying alone in the backyard? I guess not, considering the mice talk and sing and tried to design her a whole gown (the cutest part of the movie, I'll admit)... but ya know, let's just go with it. The woman just shows up and she's entirely okay with this. She listens to her and trusts her right off the bat. Magic happens and she never asks why/how. Things just sparkling and changing before her eyes. She takes her word for it, hops into a carriage that was a pumpkin mere moments before (I personally would've fainted by now, just sayin'...) and rides off to the ball. Okay...giving her the benefit of the doubt here. She realllllllly wanted to go. Fine.

She gets there, makes an appearance, this random guy wanders up to her and asks to dance. Okay...that's alright I suppose. But not even a mini conversation first? Alright. Suddenly, she's swept away. There still haven't been many (any?) words exchanged. Hmm. Oh gosh, hours have gone by and I need to run before I'm caught out looking a whole mess and my wig gets snatched. Peace, brah, thanks for the dance! Leaves her shoe behind. Yeets self into carriage that was a pumpkin a few hours earlier and rides home right before all hell breaks loose and her pumpkin rolls out under her.

Next day, Princeypoo's men show up talmbout yo, anyone here got feet? She's like omg yaaas I have feet. I know that shoe that's my glass Louboutin, I'd recognize it anywhere! Not once thinking maybe other girls at the ball had random women with sparkly wands show up in their backyards and bless them with couture threads and pumpkin carriages? Okay...but it doesn't matter anyway because now she's locked in a tower and has to rely on her stylish mice friends to bail her out of jail.

Her sisters try on the Louboutin and of course it doesn't fit because nobody else in the entire kingdom rocks a size 7. Anyway, she busts out of jail and runs into the room like hang on, I said I have feet, damn. And of course, the Louboutin gets tossed to the ground by her shady stepmother, so she randomly pulls the other out of her apron and yet again, doesn't even try to question how everything else given to her by the random woman in the backyard changed back at midnight and/or disappeared into thin air, but this apparently rather delicate pair of glass Louboutins didn't? We're just not going to talk about that?

Anyway, the shoe of course fits because again, nobody else wears her size, so she's rushed off to marry the Prince she still hasn't had a proper conversation with (and don't even try and say they talked out on the balcony after the dance - that's not enough time for him to enter into a prenup-less marriage with a random woman who nobody in the entire kingdom has ever seen before!).

I know, I know, original fables tales stories, I know. But you'd think they would maybe...make their version make some sense? Nah? Okay. 😂 Well now it's a peeve.

giphy.gif

Its fantasy, if it made sense. No one would watch it. And If someone bippity boppity booed something like that out of thin air. I would be too mystified to question it. Lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Its fantasy, if it made sense. No one would watch it. And If someone bippity boppity booed something like that out of thin air. I would be too mystified to question it. Lol 

LOL, I tell myself that over and over, but the inconsistencies kill me.

But yeah, mystified is an acceptable reaction. She kinda went..."huh?," shrugged, and hopped on in!

As a counter example, I really enjoyed the Faerie Tale Theatre version (starring Matthew Broderick as Prince Charming, heyyyyy). Jennifer Beals played Cinderella in that one and her reactions seemed a bit more natural. And they actually TALK in that version!

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Wrong actress aaaaaaah

I had a speck on my monitor which just so happened to be pretty much perfectly aligned to, seemingly, turn my commas and periods to semicolons and colons. After knocking about the keys on my keyboard for a bit trying to figure out why it was typing the wrong symbol, I noticed that typing a few commas resolved it on the following ones. Aha, I thought, it must be some sort of auto-correct I've accidentally kicked off somehow - so I'll just copy a comma 'manually' and paste it in place. 

.. Which obviously resulted in it being pasted to form a semicolon on my screen. A bit of head-scratching and squinting later, I decided to just use a semicolon. And then I saw that it came out with a regular old comma. And that the upper part of the semicolon was still in my chat box. And that I could erase it with my thumbnail. Gah! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, so . . . we've recently heard it opined here that spelling "Hallowe'en" with an apostrophe is "pretentious" or "pompous" or something like.

And we've been told, now, that spelling "Halloween" without an apostrophe is "incorrect."

Good god, where is a girl to turn???

I think some people need a hobby.

Oh. Wait . . .

Me, I prefer All Hallow’s Eve. But I’m weird that way. And every other way besides. 

• Like 3

My latest pet peeve:  DIscord Dictators (and the other way to spell it that refers to Richard- tators *wink*)

"MUST Go on DIscord...(For whatever reason) or you can't participate in the group." 

Dood, if I want to be on discord, I"d go on discord. I have reasons to keep SL in SL , not let it spill over or have another system pushed on me that is not SL. 

LIndens? if you are watching?  Put it in the TOS, no pushing other chatter-bater, non-grid like places.   To participate in a few places I have had to go to Discord, my computer has not enough resources to do both at the simultaneously for any length of time.

And places I have been at for a long time, I am suddenly no longer able to function because they are chatting in discord, not in sl while running the SL viewers. >.<  I get email from SL, I chat on SL, I can talk back to SL from my phone! I don't need discord.

But it's still pushed. I have left FB for various reasons, Discord would be next if I didn't depend on SL tips.  What is it with discord anyway.

End of peeved ramble.

*deep breath*

• Like 10