51 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Like, I remember old threads out of control, like who can forget the 500+ behemoth that Scylla started way back when. (I'm blanking on the name of it right now, but that thread was so outrageous that I usually can remember its name and I can't remember where I lived 10 years ago.)

"Why So Acrimonious?"

Ironically, the OP was about engaging with each other in a civil manner. Hah.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"Why So Acrimonious?"

Ironically, the OP was about engaging with each other in a civil manner. Hah.

Ahhhhh. Yes. Thank you. I remember that the title and the end result were hilariously ironic, in a bloodbath kind of way. Man, that was the stuff of legend, like that anvil. Some things will never be unseen. I'm a little blurry on the particulars, since it was that long ago, but I do believe that is where Seicher first showed up. ... What could go wrong?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I'm reading "This is your mind on plants" by Michael Pollan.  I read his "How to change your mind" too.  I'm really glad that the world is taking another look at Entheogens (or psychedelics as they used to be called).

me too :)  

30 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

"So many posts..." where? There's a couple on this page, of which you missed the point. "Topic of the forum..." what forum? I see no place listing where it is multiple, flagrant topics.  Back to "huh?"

This is a peeve thread not a discussion thread. What might peeve one person might not peeve another. If it doesn't then just skip to the next post.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Ahhhhh. Yes. Thank you. I remember that the title and the end result were hilariously ironic, in a bloodbath kind of way. Man, that was the stuff of legend, like that anvil. Some things will never be unseen. I'm a little blurry on the particulars, since it was that long ago, but I do believe that is where Seicher first showed up. ... What could go wrong?

That was a thread that should have been shut down by the mods loooooong before it eventually was.

As I recall it -- it's part of the GD from that era that has disappeared -- it went reasonably well for the first four or so pages, with people discussing the reasons for the belligerence here. And then it swung wildly out of control. I vaguely remember backing away, poking my head in again about page 25 or so to make an angry "This is why we can't have nice things" post, and then just heading straight for the bomb shelter.

I doubt it would have gone as far as 4 pages on this forum now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

This is a peeve thread not a discussion thread. What might peeve one person might not peeve another. If it doesn't then just skip to the next post.

It occurs to me that, for someone who doesn't think we should be talking about the rules of the forum . . . you seem to expend a lot of time and effort talking about the rules of the forum?

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Peeve: So many posts trying to figure out forum moderation and discussing the new forum rules and why threads were closed. It's become the topic of the forum even though when a thread is closed the reason is clearly given.

34 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

"So many posts..." where? There's a couple on this page, of which you missed the point. "Topic of the forum..." what forum? I see no place listing where it is multiple, flagrant topics.  Back to "huh?"

3 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Ah. Got it. So your peeves can just be made up statements, with no basis in fact. Thanks for clarifying. Also, there's no where that says this thread is NOT a "discussion" thread, so's you know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That was a thread that should have been shut down by the mods loooooong before it eventually was.

As I recall it -- it's part of the GD from that era that has disappeared -- it went reasonably well for the first four or so pages, with people discussing the reasons for the belligerence here. And then it swung wildly out of control. I vaguely remember backing away, poking my head in again about page 25 or so to make an angry "This is why we can't have nice things" post, and then just heading straight for the bomb shelter.

I doubt it would have gone as far as 4 pages on this forum now.

Your recollections coincide with what I recall. And I recall Seicher coming in to say "stop it!" lol. Sigh. Seemed like a good idea at the time. (I wish I had a time machine to stop me from pushing "submit reply" then, would have made many, many years that much easier.)

It should never have gone as long as it did, were there even mods around then? Things were so up and down then. And to your point about wouldn't have gotten to page 4 now, I also agree. That goes to my longer, "huh?" post on the previous page. There are some things that are obvious poo-shows. Other things? Especially if the posts remain up? What did I miss? 

In hindsight, with a decade's buffer, and not being able to pull that old thread up (yay!)... it allows the memories to be humorous, even if it did set a very not-funny ball in motion for me personally. "Why so acrimonious?" LoL... hoo boy

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I cannot say what my pet peeve is atm.

Is ok to say you can't say what peeve you're thinking of in the pet peeve thread?

Some days I just feel grumpy.  It's sort of a general, unfocussed kind of peeve. Not the sort of peeve that makes me want to kick a stray cat, but the sort of general malaise that makes me roll my eyes and mutter quietly for no apparent reason. I'd feel dishonest if I had to put a tag on it so I can share it specifically as a Pet Peeve. My mom used to call it her "People are no damn good" feeling, but what she meant was that she was just out of sorts.  That's when it's handy to have a thread like this where you can drop in and tell a dozen of your closest anonymous Internet friends rather vaguely that the world is going to hell, and you'd like to borrow a handbasket.  No explanation needed.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's when it's handy to have a threads like this where you can drop in and tell a dozen of your closest anonymous Internet friends rather vaguely that the world is going to hell, and you'd like to borrow a handbasket.  No explanation needed.

I liked your whole post, but this especially is true for some of us. A few years ago there was also a very supportive thread, that I can't think of the name of, that also served a similar but more serious purpose (we quip a lot in this one, that one was more emotional) and true to the time, someone had to come in and blow it up. The forum lost something good on that day that thread, and a few others, were shut down. I think the original peeve thread got axed at about the same time for the same reason. So, yeah, it is nice to just come in here and vent, seriously or not so seriously.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 3

Peeve! You know how we can "ignore" posts by other people? I'm peeved that we can't set the controls so that other people can't see OUR posts, let us ignore us for them. I'm pretty sure I could beg a couple of people to put me on "ignore" and they wouldn't, just to be a**h**es, and so how much easier would things be if I could just do it for them? Yeah. Totally peeved now that I think about it. Eyeing the 2/14 signature...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I liked your whole post, but this especially is true for some of us. A few years ago there was also a very supportive thread, that I can't think of the name of, that also served a similar but more serious purpose (we quip a lot in this one, that one was more emotional) and true to the time, someone had to come in and blow it up. The forum lost something good on that day that thread, and a few others, were shut down. I think the original peeve thread got axed at about the same time for the same reason. So, yeah, it is nice to just come in here and vent, seriously or not so seriously.

Me too.  I think you're talking about the holiday dread thread which was not the name of it but what it was about. It was really supportive until it wasn't. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

So, yeah, it is nice to just come in here and vent, seriously or not so seriously.

Exactly.  Nothing like a dumpster fire.  Just a respectable wastebasket job, enough to relieve the pressure without getting everyone else riled up. I'm introverted and repressed enough that I'd rather not be responsible for causing a nuclear meltdown.

You'll notice that I hardly every actually peeve here. That's either a sign that I really am seriously repressed or simply that I am too numb to recognize that there are things around me worth peeving about.  When I'm feeling borderline grumpy, it's surprisingly helpful to come here, read a few posts and think, "Good Lord!  I thought I was out of sorts.  Look at her..."  A thread like this can be like group therapy, even if you never open your mouth and share.  ;) 

• Like 6

Just now, kali Wylder said:

Me too.  I think you're talking about the holiday dread thread which was not the name of it but what it was about. It was really supportive until it wasn't. 

The only days I dread are my Dad's Birthday and the date of my dad's death. The worst two days of the year for me. 

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

The only days I dread are my Dad's Birthday and the date of my dad's death. The worst two days of the year for me. 

My father died that year on December 29th.  Knew it was coming and nothing could be done.

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

read a few posts and think, "Good Lord!  I thought I was out of sorts.  Look at her..."  A thread like this can be like group therapy, even if you never open your mouth and share.  ;) 

I just burst out laughing at this.

Um, glad to be of service? You're welcome? LoL

Yup, "Geez, I thought I was being ♀ otter-y, but thank god, nothing like that Seicher person... yeesh. Get the nets."
(Yes, everything IS all about me, unless it is about @Arielle Popstar being cited in Tweets (another thread).)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kali Wylder said:

My father died that year on December 29th.  Knew it was coming and nothing could be done.

My Father died June 21 2019, so before the pandemic. I would feel bad if my dad had to die alone, without myself or his other friends there with him. His Birthday is February 13th. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Ohhhhh, yes, there was that one, too. I think the one I was referring to was something "how are you feeling today?" by Beth? But yes, some good threads just bombed out of existence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

My Father died June 21 2019, so before the pandemic. I would feel bad if my dad had to die alone, without myself or his other friends there with him. His Birthday is February 13th. 

The one thing I was grateful for was that my Dad missed COVID.  He would have hated it.

• Like 1