6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That one's not a serious worry.  The magnetic poles wander quite a bit, but the Earth's rotational axis is pretty stable. Over the long haul, yes, it precesses slightly because of the tidal effects of the sun and the moon.  That means it points to a slightly different place in the sky, relative to the plane of the ecliptic.  With respect to the Earth itself, though, the rotational axis is is essentially unchanging, so our "Polar Express" tunnel -- thank you, Lindal -- is a good long-term investment (all other ridiculous things being equal).

So if you're a frequent rider on the Polar Express, you'll have to look out the window at your destination, and check for either Polar bears (North) or penguins (South).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Full moon was Wednesday. In the US.

Then it was Wednesday all over the place. You guys don't have your own moon! 

• Haha 4

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I bet, and this is just a SWAG, it was also Wednesday everywhere too.

.. Well, no. Here it was Onsdag. In Germany it was Mittwoch. In France .. Who knows .. 

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Then it was Wednesday all over the place. You guys don't have your own moon! 

We do so. Nobody else has put boots on the ground and raised a flag on it.

I know Armstrong didn't actually say "I claim this moon in the name of the United States of America", but that's what he meant. He was being, y'know, politically correct.

But I'll allow that we don't dictate the time and place of a full moon. Um, yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

We do so. Nobody else has put boots on the ground and raised a flag on it.

But those are now flags of capitulation. Should have used something sturdier! 

SaSSD.jpg

Edited by Orwar
Found a better pic!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

The heat wave is finally over here, thank god.  Heat index of 106 yesterday nearly killed me. 

Omg , I know right?!

It's been terrible here the past week.  I had to start doing deep clean on the house because when the heat gets july and august hot too early. It gets the recluse on the move..

The hot temps kick them into mating or something.. I just know it puts them on the move, So I break out the spray bottle  bleach mix I have and  just about everything that can handle bleach gets bleached in every room in the house..

Not a stone left unturned. that usually does the trick.. hehehehe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Omg , I know right?!

It's been terrible here the past week.  I had to start doing deep clean on the house because when the heat gets july and august hot too early. It gets the recluse on the move..

The hot temps kick them into mating or something.. I just know it puts them on the move, So I break out the spray bottle  bleach mix I have and  just about everything that can handle bleach gets bleached in every room in the house..

Not a stone left unturned. that usually does the trick.. hehehehe

fjfwerhjweh  I just killed a brown recluse in the kitchen yesterday, and need to vacuum good. Never heard about bleach discouraging them.

At the kitty foster moms there was a poor kitty who had a bite and almost died...a strange skin mark remained where the bite happened. I saw one of my cats playing with a black spider and freaked out.

So pet peeve yeah: spiders

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

fjfwerhjweh  I just killed a brown recluse in the kitchen yesterday, and need to vacuum good. Never heard about bleach discouraging them.

At the kitty foster moms there was a poor kitty who had a bite and almost died...a strange skin mark remained where the bite happened. I saw one of my cats playing with a black spider and freaked out.

Ya bleach is my go to thing for any critters.. I pull everything out that can get hurt by it and then just coat the room..

Like my bathrooms,I hit all the trim any little gaps and the whole floor,walls ceiling, tub, shower.. anywhere they can cross..

It burns their eyes, burn their bodies, plus they can't breath.. if they get it on them, it's not an instant kill, but give it a little bit..

They hate bleach, they hate citrus and spearmint.. I have spearmint all around the house outside..

But put the bleach down and they don't even like to try and cross that..

Just make sure you have a lot of ventilation or it can mess you up for a few days. my nose was running for two days straight and I still have a few more rooms to do.. I had to take a couple days off from bleaching.. hehehehe

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Poor kitty glad to hear she’s ok 🥹

I really really am scared of spiders, scorpions and the likes, I can wholeheartedly say I never was and never will be an arachnologist 😨

There are no native poisonous spiders here, actually none that can bite and pierce the human’s or other large animals’ skin either thank goodness. However in recent years, weird species of widows have been spotted here and there, likely travelling with bananas or other tropical fruit. I hope to never find one 😨

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

There are no native poisonous spiders here, actually none that can bite and pierce the human’s or other large animals’ skin either thank goodness. However in recent years, weird species of widows have been spotted here and there, likely travelling with bananas or other tropical fruit. I hope to never find one 😨

Same here. I found a couple of black widows in a fence post a couple of years back when repairing the gate. I was confused. Also, a few years ago I met my first greater house spider - now, we've had house spiders around here for ages, but the greater ones are like four times as large; the first one I encountered was the size of my palm and after killing it dead I just wrote my mother that I was going to help myself to a splash of her gin - I needed it!

I later read that their bite 'only' hurts about as much as a bee sting. Only. I've been stung by bees before, those things bloody hurt!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Same here. I found a couple of black widows in a fence post a couple of years back when repairing the gate. I was confused. Also, a few years ago I met my first greater house spider - now, we've had house spiders around here for ages, but the greater ones are like four times as large; the first one I encountered was the size of my palm and after killing it dead I just wrote my mother that I was going to help myself to a splash of her gin - I needed it!

I later read that their bite 'only' hurts about as much as a bee sting. Only. I've been stung by bees before, those things bloody hurt!

I find wolf spiders more scary, due to their larger size (larger than the brown recluses here).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VaelFaye said:

Peeve: No heatwave (13° celsius here), but random bouts of rainfall keeping me from working on my patio stairs. 🔨🪵

Oh that Oregon weather. 🙃

34C here, "Feels Like" 40C. (94F and 104F)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1