1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:
8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Really???

Possibly because you're an American? I think it's pretty common, certainly, outside of the States.

(Waits patiently for someone to argue that I'm using "American" incorrectly, because is should apply to anyone in North or South America.)

Expand  

You still wouldn't be using it wrong.. because people in the U.S. are Americans too.. And those darn Canadians.. hehehe

!!!@Scylla Rhiadra, did you count yourself (being a Canadian) as using "Americanisms", since Canada is in North America?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Actually its origin is similar to the origin of woot. Woot is a short form of wow, loot! KK is short for k,kewl. Kekeke is similar to heheh as laughter, not an acknowledgement.

Actually, "Woot" is short for "Want one of those" (to some people)!

There's also a website "woot.com" that "took" the word "woot" for their own (many years after it was first used).  It's now owned by Amazon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

!!!@Scylla Rhiadra, did you count yourself (being a Canadian) as using "Americanisms", since Canada is in North America?

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You still wouldn't be using it wrong.. because people in the U.S. are Americans too.. And those darn Canadians.. hehehe

SEE! SEE!!!! 👆

THIS IS WHAT CANADIANS HAVE TO PUT UP WITH!

Every. Frickin'. Day.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

SEE! SEE!!!! 👆

THIS IS WHAT CANADIANS HAVE TO PUT UP WITH!

Every. Frickin'. Day.

You be quiet up there like a good hat, where tryin tah concentrate down here!! \o/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hear hear!

Can we also ban the ampersand "&" while we're at it?

It's a barbaric innovation introduced by those damned Woke Renaissance Humanists, and I'll have NONE OF IT!

The Latin "et" was good enough for my great great great great great great great great great great great grandmother, and it's good enough for me!

^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

You just proved my point about bloody "debate teams" and their moronic "rules of debate".

Peeve: Pseudo-intellectuals and their made up rules for why they can't lose "debates".

A more serious response...

Yes, like you, I often detect when someone says something that defies common sense. I get this odd feeling...often I don't even know why...but I just know what they said is just not right - it defies reason somehow.

And when I study the rules of logic I can pinpoint why what they said is in error...because all the rules of logic do is name what is or is not logical or what defies common sense.  I like to know because putting a name to something helps me understand faster, in the future and I can defend my position in a clearer manner. Plus, people are more likely to listen to the rules of logic as opposed to "Luna thinks that doesn't sound right".

12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

A more serious response...

Yes, like you, I often detect when someone says something that defies common sense. I get this odd feeling...often I don't even know why...but I just know what they said is just not right - it defies reason somehow.

Or it is just beyond reason and logic and is actually paradoxical to them.

1 hour ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

it is no shorter than ok, what is the point?

Spatially, on the keyboard, 'kk' is the same keystroke twice. 'Ok' involves moving the finger.

I know it's not much of a move, but a habit of being a time saver when in the middle of a battle in MMO's. I usually find it difficult to keep moving, fighting AND typing out whole sentences.

In SL, I tend to use it when someone says they're going afk or brb as it's a quick way to acknowledge their statement before they either step away or TP away.

When someone comes back however, I type out 'wibbles', since there's more time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Spatially, on the keyboard, 'kk' is the same keystroke twice. 'Ok' involves moving the finger.

I know it's not much of a move, but a habit of being a time saver when in the middle of a battle in MMO's. I usually find it difficult to keep moving, fighting AND typing out whole sentences.

In SL, I tend to use it when someone says they're going afk or brb as it's a quick way to acknowledge their statement before they either step away or TP away.

When someone comes back however, I type out 'wibbles', since there's more time.

Peeve: I submit that "kk" could also be interpreted as an "emphatic", yet "unemotional" version of "ok". Confirming, yet noncommittal. With blank affect.

Windows 10 and its habit of changing my drivers.

Context: this intel iGPU driver is from 2019 and has a bug that causes a giant memory leak  in dwm.exe. Intel acknowledged it and fixed it YEARS ago and manually installing a newer driver downloaded from intel fixes it.

Every couple of months Windows notices I've changed this driver and says nope, here have this bugged 2019 version that Intel have acknowledged is broken but for some reason is still served up by Windows Update. And I don't notice until I'm happening to look at resource monitor or something and see this.

And no, no matter how hard I try I cannot stop Windows 10 from doing this. I've tried everything, it really, really really really really wants me to use a bugged driver for some reason and consume 12GB (and rising) of RAM.

windows_intel_gpu_bugged_driver.thumb.png.41feac7258a2a134919a561d15dae3fb.png

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Worse than that is people who say mines. 

Wait ... people say "mines"?  Real people?  Not just when they mean to say, "Mine's the one on the left. Don't spit in it please"?  Why in God's great Earth would anyone say "mines"?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Wait ... people say "mines"?  Real people?  Not just when they mean to say, "Mine's the one on the left. Don't spit in it please"?  Why in God's great Earth would anyone say "mines"?

Dwarves heading to Moria?

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Worse than that is people who say mines. 

Did a search, couldn't find any "mines" memes. Surprised!

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Did a search, couldn't find any "mines" memes. Surprised!

Aha!  Memes, or it doesn't exist.  That's what Teddy Roosevelt always said.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Peeve: people who say kk.

4 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Okey, dokey.
I understand your peeve.

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I often just say 'k'    :)   That is much better..

If feeling especially verbose and a little country, I'll say "alrighty'.

4 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

As someone that uses it, I feel it's better than adding that 3rd k.

I think its even worse when they say " Sure" in the place that someone would usually say " ok, k, kk,"  etc.  Like they thought on it and and have approved you. As if a simple " I'm gonna go do ________ blank, brb" somehow spawns " sure"....   Like they gave you permission... As if there was also the option to say  " No " .... lol...

Edited by Midnoot

27 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

I think its even worse when they say " Sure" in the place that someone would usually say " ok, k, kk,"  etc.  Like they thought on it and and have approved you. As if a simple " I'm gonna go do ________ blank, brb" somehow spawns " sure"....   Like they gave you permission... As if there was also the option to say  " No " .... lol...

Yeah, the language is ambiguous without some sort of context, like voice intonation or facial expressions (not likely with typed chat in world).  "Sure" might mean "Wow!  You bet I do!" or it might mean a sarcastic "Not on your life".  That's the trouble with lots of short answers.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Real people who speak AAE, yes. Somewhat of a regional thing - found more in the South than up here. Not solely limited to AAE, either, but pretty common there.

Here's an interesting video on it made by a Harvard Gullah professor in the African Language Program.

Peeve: Real people, really? 😞

JK - I'm not really upset. I don't speak it much because so few do around my area. Still, even though I rarely use it myself, "mines" doesn't sound at all unusual to me. Then again, neither does the habitual be.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

And no, no matter how hard I try I cannot stop Windows 10 from doing this. I've tried everything, it really, really really really really wants me to use a bugged driver for some reason and consume 12GB (and rising) of RAM.

The easiest way to stop auto driver updates is to turn Off the auto update feature, and update manually.  Windows Update will then show View optional updates, and you simply do not select the drivers you don't want.  Optional updates are no longer forced on your system if you update windows manually. 

You can also disable Win10 from downloading all driver updates, using the GPedit in Win10 Pro, or the Registry in the Home edition.  But this will stop Windows update from showing you any driver updates at all, so not recommended.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

OK?

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Real people who speak AAE, yes. Somewhat of a regional thing - found more in the South than up here. Not solely limited to AAE, either, but pretty common there.

Here's an interesting video on it made by a Harvard Gullah professor in the African Language Program.

Peeve: Real people, really? 😞

JK - I'm not really upset. I don't speak it much because so few do around my area. Still, even though I rarely use it myself, "mines" doesn't sound at all unusual to me. Then again, neither does the habitual be.

Thank you.  Honestly.  My post was clearly (I hope) made in jest and in total ignorance.  I assumed that it was some odd corner of new-speak that my grandsons might be aware of but fuddy-duddies of my generation will never understand. (Like so much else.)  I am now somewhat embarrassed and will slink off and hope that tomorrow offers me a clean slate to muck up.

• Like 2

Thank you.  Honestly.  My post was clearly (I hope) made in jest and in total ignorance.  I assumed that it was some odd corner of new-speak that my grandsons might be aware of but fuddy-duddies of my generation will never understand. (Like so much else.)  I am now somewhat embarrassed and will slink off and hope that tomorrow offers me a clean slate to muck up.

Lol, no no, you're fine. ❤️

A lot of people tend to think these things are new trends because they seemingly explode out of nowhere (dang TikTok *shakes fist*), but they date back a ways, usually. I'm HORRIBLE with dates and origins (big peeve!), but much of the slang in use today is just recycled terms that have been in use forever in regional languages and dialects and made "cool" by influencers (also a peeve). They're also often used improperly (HUGE PEEVE - do not get me started on that, omg - I could peeve on "bussin" all day). There's an entire Twitter account that makes fun of these language fails that I may or may not get a massive kick out of following. 🤣

Mines seems pretty common overall, though. I can't blame TikTok for that one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Well, of course there's no reason to be embarrassed about learning something new! (But I know you know that, as does Ayashe.) I don't think I knew that either about "mines."

I once took a seminar course in the history of the English language, much of which detailed the inheritance of the modern language from Old English (i.e., Saxon and, to a lesser degree, Norse). I remember the prof telling us that the original past participle of the verb "got" is "gotten" (which is OE) but that outside of North America "got" has become the most usual form. And my response (in front of the whole seminar group) was an overly loud and incredulous "People actually say 'gotten'"??? It just sounded so odd and uncouth on its own!

Which was of course swiftly followed by the revelation that I, in fact, say "gotten" far more often than I say "got."

I squirmed visibly every time I caught myself saying it subsequently in that course.

I did a lot of squirming that year.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Which was of course swiftly followed by the revelation that I, in fact, say "gotten" far more often than I say "got."

I squirmed visibly every time I caught myself saying it subsequently in that course.

Peeve: probably thinking of that dirty "begat"!

• Like 1