On 3/11/2024 at 4:47 PM, Orwar said:

Don't know if it's because people aren't using night mode or something, but it kinda peeves me how forum text appears when copied elsewhere and people don't bother rejecting the formatting.

9c5922bf8e60d204fb7edba93b52685d.png

I know it's next to impossible to remember all keyboard codes (and that some people don't even have a numpad - ™ is alt + 0153, by the by), so I couldn't fault someone for not knowing how to write such symbols - but there sure are a lot of eye-sores around here from just sloppy formatting! 

Moi? No, I don't use dark mode as I need all the lightness I can get and so I prefer a black on white in more ways then one. Didn't know one could actually type the ALT + 0153 ™ and I am unfortunately unlikely to remember the next time I do use it. I do regularly cancel the formatting after pasted content but was unaware of how it effects the pasted text for those using a different mode to view it. You'd think the programmers could translate it automatically like they do so many languages. Anyway my apologies and I will try to remember though my memory is not the best :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

There's nothing worse then going for a tinkle at 3am in the dark and falling down the toilet because someone left the seat up!

My Grandma, when my mother was young, injured her back when this happened to her.  My dad never once left the seat up as he had heard the story from my mom and was adult enough to realize it's about safety and not who should do what.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You'd think the programmers could translate it automatically like they do so many languages. Anyway my apologies and I will try to remember though my memory is not the best :(

The peeve absolutely was aimed at how the forum software handles copy-pasted text, rather than the person who happened to do it the one time conveniently enough in the peeve thread that I could just snap it and peeve about it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

When you copy and paste anything here, it always gives you the option to post as plain text.   All ya gotta do.

fdd2dab77aee4c7391057fbf5851ae9d.thumb.png.6a629ed7522a0138a49c7f331be28ee6.png

Peeve: It's easy to miss if you're not looking at that part of the window, and the note goes away if you type anything else.  But if you remember, you can press Control+Z to "undo" and paste it again and select "paste as plain text instead".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Midnoot said:

Peeve: The weird expectation that I'm suppose to do everyone else's dishes when its my " turn" which I did not agree to.

No , son. I will take only the dishes I need and when I'm done I will wash ONLY the dishes I used. You can deal with your own procrastinators build up.

This is a false analogy.

More accurate would be "I never dirty dishes (i.e. I never put the seat up), but I'm sometimes expected to wash those dirtied by someone else (i.e. I am expected to put the seat down even though I am never the one who puts it up)."

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

A courteous, civil person tries to bear in mind the comfort of others when using something that others also use. When I'm riding a bus or a subway or streetcar, for instance, I don't leave things like discarded newspapers, wrappers, or whatever on my seat when I leave, because that shunts my responsibility to clean up after myself on the next person to sit there.

There are three basic states for the toilet:

State 1: Lid and seat both down. This is neutral, in that it affects everyone alike: we will all have to make a conscious decision to reconfigure seat and lid to conform with our proposed use of the toilet.

State 2: Lid up, seat down. This is also relatively neutral because, although my partner frequently needs the seat up, we both use the toilet with the seat down at various times. In other words, this is the state that best accommodates both of our needs.

State 3: Lid up, seat up. He is the ONLY person who needs the toilet in this state. To leave the seat perpetually up means that he's rendering it continually suitable for himself ONLY, and, what's more, knowingly leaving it in a position that is perilous for me.

In a civil society, we try to accommodate the needs of all, but in such a way that the "default" is the state that is most suitable for the greatest number of people. So it should be with toilets.

I should, I suppose, at least be glad that he's not actually peeing on the seat. 😡

You've made the most convincing argument on this matter I have ever heard!

And don't forget our poor animals drinking out of dirty toilets when the lid is left up!

This is assuredly a peeve -- mild animal abuse.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is a false analogy.

More accurate would be "I never dirty dishes (i.e. I never put the seat up), but I'm sometimes expected to wash those dirtied by someone else (i.e. I am expected to put the seat down even though I am never the one who puts it up)."

Peeve: I am reminded of an old joke where some simple country folk solved the problem of washing dishes by nailing metal plates to the table, and letting the dogs lick the plates clean.

ETA: Bonus, in the "joke" there were guests - and the whole point of setting up the dishes that way, was as a show so the guests would be disgusted and never return.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

A courteous, civil person tries to bear in mind the comfort of others when using something that others also use. When I'm riding a bus or a subway or streetcar, for instance, I don't leave things like discarded newspapers, wrappers, or whatever on my seat when I leave, because that shunts my responsibility to clean up after myself on the next person to sit there.

There are three basic states for the toilet:

State 1: Lid and seat both down. This is neutral, in that it affects everyone alike: we will all have to make a conscious decision to reconfigure seat and lid to conform with our proposed use of the toilet.

State 2: Lid up, seat down. This is also relatively neutral because, although my partner frequently needs the seat up, we both use the toilet with the seat down at various times. In other words, this is the state that best accommodates both of our needs.

State 3: Lid up, seat up. He is the ONLY person who needs the toilet in this state. To leave the seat perpetually up means that he's rendering it continually suitable for himself ONLY, and, what's more, knowingly leaving it in a position that is perilous for me.

In a civil society, we try to accommodate the needs of all, but in such a way that the "default" is the state that is most suitable for the greatest number of people. So it should be with toilets.

I should, I suppose, at least be glad that he's not actually peeing on the seat. 😡

Never leave the lid down at night. No one else is "awake" but they will be when they hear me screaming bloody murder at the ass that left it down. It sounds funny but the reality is anything but fun or funny. Don't leave the seat up at night either. 🤬

IMO and life experience State 2 is the most neutral because then everyone has to work it. Level ground.

Leave the seat up in my home and I WILL b*tch at you, loudly. Leave the lid down and I'll just mutter at you under my breath. There are weeds in the yard that need killing if you need to live in a barn; go pee outside if you can't put the seat down. 🍅

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Peeve: More than a page discussing a first world problem.

Peeve: The first world is the first world because its inhabitants do solve all the 'little' problems - We should stop apologizing for continuously improving our standards of living!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is a false analogy.

Funny how when men have to do dishes they only do the ones they used yet when women have to do the dishes we have to wash everyone's including the pots and pans. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Peeve: More than a page discussing a first world problem.

615cXtwUq-L.jpg

Oh he cleans up after himself alright. Problem is I always have to go behind him to get everything he missed because he won't slow down. I don't need the extra work when I'm holding down two jobs, one of which does NOT pay and is a lifetime commitment.

Thanks for the idea though. I can hang that one in the kitchen. 🤭

• Like 3

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Funny how when men have to do dishes they only do the ones they used yet when women have to do the dishes we have to wash everyone's including the pots and pans. 😉

I'm sure this is often the case. In my household, though, I do all the dishes all the time because my partner does such a terrible job that I end up rewashing half of them anyway. ("Have you considered using soap when washing these?") In fact, when I see him washing up, I'll usually hurriedly jump in and offer to take over.

In fairness, I have to say he does most of the cooking. He's a vastly better cook than I am!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I don't live with my partner, and yet I spend about half an hour to an hour every day cooking dinner, clean all the pots and pans and knives I used (before I sit down to eat, even - hate it when you've finished a meal and want to retire only to have a heap of chores to do!), and clean my dishes afterwards. If you're going to wash one dish you might as well do another one or three - washing plates, utensils, and glasses take seconds (unless of course they've been left standing around so things have dried up, in which case you just soak them and then wash them easily again). And I never leave the toilet seat up, as the only times I raise it in the first place is when cleaning the toilet, which the maid does regularly anyway so it's seldom necessary for me to do it as well.

.. Maybe I'm one of those women who pretend to be a man in SL!?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm sure this is often the case. In my household, though, I do all the dishes all the time because my partner does such a terrible job that I end up rewashing half of them anyway. ("Have you considered using soap when washing these?") In fact, when I see him washing up, I'll usually hurriedly jump in and offer to take over.

In fairness, I have to say he does most of the cooking. He's a vastly better cook than I am!

See my reply to Sid. 😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In my household, though, I do all the dishes all the time because my partner does such a terrible job that I end up rewashing half of them anyway.

Peeve: I had a housemate who let dishes "sit" longer than I liked.

Now that I got rid of my "dishwasher", I am a little more understanding - I rinse dishes and wash them in "batches".  However, the concept of letting something "soak" is still foreign to me..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1