Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Someone care to share with us Yanks what a "Santa Slot" is (some kind of "free groceries for the Holidays"?), what the "Big Day" is, etc.?

TYVMIA!

A Santa Slot unfortunately isn't free groceries for Christmas, it's just a timetable of available delivery slots that the major supermarkets in the UK open up a few weeks earlier than normal. We can usually book supermarket deliveries two or three weeks in advance. Nearer to Christmas (aka The Big Day), supermarkets all compete to get the customers first, as a lot of people spend far too much, especially on booze which makes the supermarkets more money of course. 

The supermarkets try and lure us in with special offers on tins of chocolates (Peeve: that tins of chocolates have shrunk, or certainly the quantity within has.), or do a 3 for 2 on toys, and then we might be persuaded to buy all our Christmas shopping from them. 

It's madness I tell you, utter madness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

A Santa Slot unfortunately isn't free groceries for Christmas, it's just a timetable of available delivery slots that the major supermarkets in the UK open up a few weeks earlier than normal. We can usually book supermarket deliveries two or three weeks in advance. Nearer to Christmas (aka The Big Day), supermarkets all compete to get the customers first, as a lot of people spend far too much, especially on booze which makes the supermarkets more money of course. 

The supermarkets try and lure us in with special offers on tins of chocolates (Peeve: that tins of chocolates have shrunk, or certainly the quantity within has.), or do a 3 for 2 on toys, and then we might be persuaded to buy all our Christmas shopping from them. 

Is "grocery delivery" really that important to people in general? 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
"grocery" not "grovery"! lol

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is "grovery delivery" really that important to people in general? 

It has been an absolute lifeline for me personally while I've been caring for my brother these past 20 years as I don't drive, local shops are too expensive, and the buses are almost non-existent now. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is "grocery delivery" really that important to people in general? 

During Covid, one of the Giant Eagle grocery stores near me switched to delivery only.  The waiting list was huge, I guess.  They still offer delivery and curb side pickup at almost all grocery stores around here.  People are willing to pay for that option.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

During Covid, one of the Giant Eagle grocery stores near me switched to delivery only.  The waiting list was huge, I guess.  They still offer delivery and curb side pickup at almost all grocery stores around here.  People are willing to pay for that option.

During covid some of us regular customers found it almost impossible to bag a delivery slot. We'd be waiting at midnight for the next ones to be made available. To me, those delivery drivers and supermarket front liners were as much heroes during the pandemic as our NHS workers. They certainly worked their little socks off, bless them all. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Here, the grocery stores partner with the big delivery services like Instacart. You order from the store's website, Instacart delivers it. (Pickup at store is an option, but more common for some stores like Target.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

During covid some of us regular customers found it almost impossible to bag a delivery slot. We'd be waiting at midnight for the next ones to be made available. To me, those delivery drivers and supermarket front liners were as much heroes during the pandemic as our NHS workers. They certainly worked their little socks off, bless them all. 

That's one of the things I remember about 2020...every day there would be delivery vans and trucks on the street outside, more than ever before, it was like a constant flow...also, that was the time Deliveroo and UberEats really took off, you' would see their moped riders everywhere...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Not a peeve: I live opposite two supermarkets. A full service one and an Aldi. The full service one is even open on Christmas day. So I don't need a slot at all. Just a little bit of planning, when to buy what. I just have to cross the street.  Not that I need much extra.
I'm not much of a celebrator. Some Christmas cookies or a cake and some chocolates, a nice Christmas tree and I'm all set.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Peeve: People who use an avatar icon to pretend to be a different ethnicity on the forums than they are in RL.

I assume most of us are human, so I don't mind if folks use an animal avatar or icon. Gender is kind of fluid, so I don't care what gender their avatar or icon appears to be. Pretending to be a different ethnicity seems wrong to me, though.

I think it depends.  This is SL and we are allowed to Role Play.  If I want to RP an Oriental person for a while, then I should be able to have my Profile picture and Forum picture represent that.  

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I think it depends.  This is SL and we are allowed to Role Play.  If I want to RP an Oriental person for a while, then I should be able to have my Profile picture and Forum picture represent that.  

There isn't even a rule that the avatar picture needs to relate to SL or RL.
I use a TV character at the moment on the forums. It has totally no resemblance with Sid Nagy inworld.

I chose this picture because I like that TV show. I could easily have picked Morgan Freeman as well. Great guy. Why not?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I agree...people can be waaay too picky and quick to take offense.

I only object when certain terms have the effect of making women seem 'lesser than', because that has real world consequences. These ideas are used to pay women less as they're seen as less competent. It's especially bad today, still, in positions of authority (corporate environment).  Even in Hollywood, as was discovered recently.

For example, my mother earned 30% less at her job than men did, and she trained men who rose above her in position!  Fortunately, there's better pay equity but women still don't earn as much as men for the same jobs.

Pet Peeve: This affected me personally, and my inheritance.  I could have used a little more money she might have been able to save.  But I'll manage  :)

I've been in the corporate environment for the last 15 years.. hehehe

The first company I went to work for that was away from our family businesses, was the largest family owned corporation in north America when I started.. Then they got bought out by the largest company in the world in their field..

A year before I was hurt, they were throwing money at me any time I mentioned of not being happy there or talking about finding something else..

In one summer I got 3 promotions and 7 pay increases.. LOL  It sounds crazy,  and it felt crazy also..

I left the company finally the April before last, because of the way they were trying to get me back into work.. Rather than letting me get healthy there was some dodgy stuff going on to get me back in there.. They didn't acknowledge  me actually being leaving until October.. they must have thought I just needed time to think or something.. hehehehe

I got a letter from them  in October pretty much saying, Well I guess you're not coming back.. lol

I didn't Acknowledge the letter because I said my peace  back in that April..

I won;t harp on it too much.. But I would think  if it is especially bad today, I would think that I would have  felt it somewhere along the way.. I'm working for my third corporation since I stepped outside our family businesses..

Sorry I couldn't respond sooner.. things got busy at the house last night and just got home from work a little bit ago.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've mostly seen "Gril" used instead of "Girl" when gay men are BS'ing around on the internet (years ago in chatrooms). 

Example: "Hey, gril!" instead of "Hey, girl!"

But adding an apparently missing "L", "Grill Boss" sounds kind of like "Pit Boss".  A "Grill Boss" would be your manager at McDonald's, while a "Pit Boss" would be like the BBQ expert (I think there was a TV show also).

Peeve - And then again: Spelling with a missing "L" ("Gril" vs. "Grill") reminds me of "Bill, the Galactic Hero". I think he was too much a Plebe to earn a second "L", or something like that (despite being a Galactic Hero).  A nice humorous series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill,_the_Galactic_Hero

That was the first thing I thought of when I noticed the typo..  That would be my husband  the Grill Boss.. hehehe

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I won;t harp on it too much.. But I would think  if it is especially bad today, I would think that I would have  felt it somewhere along the way.. I'm working for my third corporation since I stepped outside our family businesses..

I'm speaking to those in higher positions of authority in corporations -- CEO's, for example. Government officials.  Statistics are actually compiled on all this -- just one person's reality isn't proof of anything.

And then there was the somewhat recent Hollywood fiasco that brought it more into the light:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/07/jennifer-lawrence-slams-hollywood-gender-pay-gap-in-vogue-interview.html

Pet Peeve: not enough of our citizens read the news or do research

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm speaking to those in higher positions of authority in corporations -- CEO's, for example. Government officials.  Statistics are actually compiled on all this -- just one person's reality isn't proof of anything.

And then there was the somewhat recent Hollywood fiasco that brought it more into the light:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/07/jennifer-lawrence-slams-hollywood-gender-pay-gap-in-vogue-interview.html

Pet Peeve: not enough or our citizens read the news or do research

Peeve:That the news is a laughing stock nowadays .. If it ever becomes newsworthy again, I'd actually watch it.

I guess personal experience doesn't count against statistics.

• Like 2

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

Peeve:That the news is a laughing stock nowadays .. If it ever becomes newsworthy again, I'd actually watch it.

I guess personal experience doesn't count against statistics.

One person's experience doesn't mean it's the truth for the majority of people.  That's why I never trust only my experience when trying to assess what's going on for all the other people in the world -- I have to look to places where stats are compiled on all those other people instead of thinking only what I experienced is valid for all -- I look to scientific studies at academic institutions that tend to be less biased than news sources.   Of course, we have to pick our sources carefully -- many are not trustworthy and this can be difficult.

Pet Peeve:  News...hard to know who to trust anymore.

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

We have that going on right now in the states.. We have Halloween  stuff out , Thanks giving stuff out and Christmas stuff out, Already..

I guess you can say we are getting Holiday Slotted.. hehehe

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

There isn't even a rule that the avatar picture needs to relate to SL or RL.
I use a TV character at the moment on the forums. It has totally no resemblance with Sid Nagy inworld.

I chose this picture because I like that TV show. I could easily have picked Morgan Freeman as well. Great guy. Why not?

OMG, I thought that was you the whole time! \o/

My whole image of you is... Blown..

hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

We have that going on right now in the states.. We have Halloween  stuff out , Thanks giving stuff out and Christmas stuff out, Already..

I guess you can say we are getting Holiday Slotted.. hehehe

Holiday shafted I'd say looking at the price hikes for all of it currently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

One person's experience doesn't mean it's the truth for the majority of people.  That's why I never trust only my experience when trying to assess what's going on for all the other people in the world -- I have to look to places where stats are compiled on all those other people instead of thinking only what I experienced is valid for all -- I look to scientific studies at academic institutions that tend to be less biased than news sources.   Of course, we have to pick our sources carefully -- many are not trustworthy and this can be difficult.

Pet Peeve:  News...hard to know who to trust anymore.

Well, the reason I said what I said was, because you said it was worse today, and my take on that was because you mentioned your mothers experience...

I gave you a small taste of my experience which as I said has been 15 years so far and with some pretty huge corporations.. Now it's stats time because now one persons experience isn't good enough when it's coming from me, but was when it was coming from you?

I think I really need to step away from this conversation , because really, I don't want to be the reason this thread gets locked and we are way off topic here.. So I'm bowing out..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Fine, I'll admit to a peeve, so as to avoid coming off as toxically positive just because I hate this kinda topic these days...

Peeve Of My Life: Having a typist who can't afford to just let me live online all day every day like I used to.

Sigh.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Well, the reason I said what I said was, because you said it was worse today, and my take on that was because you mentioned your mothers experience...

I gave you a small taste of my experience which as I said has been 15 years so far and with some pretty huge corporations.. Now it's stats time because now one persons experience isn't good enough when it's coming from me, but was when it was coming from you?

The difference between the personal experiences we related was:

I only cited what happened to my mom  and my inheritance when she earned 30% less. I didn't use it as a way to suggest one experience was the same for all...as you did when you said:

"But I would think  if it is especially bad today, I would think that I would have  felt it somewhere along the way.. I'm working for my third corporation since I stepped outside our family businesses.. "

• Like 1