1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's interesting, as it means the viewer emoji support is ahead of Windows (I use Chrome browser). 

Well, personally, I think it was a complete waste of manpower building emojis into the viewer.  I'm sure there are far more useful things they could have been working on.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Fun is not allowed on the forums. Didn't you get the memo?

I honestly think the Lab is trying to kill the forums and at the rate signed in members are dropping in numbers, it looks like they will succeed.

/me sneaks behind Arielle and steals one of her socks

I gotta make my own fun somehow, and this is what I have resorted to.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Fun is not allowed on the forums. Didn't you get the memo?

I honestly think the Lab is trying to kill the forums and at the rate signed in members are dropping in numbers, it looks like they will succeed.

I'm not sure one way of the other. But most people I've met inworld have never even heard of the forums. 

• Like 3

On 9/25/2023 at 11:55 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

It tries to start up..

The fans first spin and light up and the fans on the graphics card spin as well.. then the motherboard lights kick on.. then the dvd drive buzzes for a split second like and that's where it stops. I'm  wondering if it's the dvd drive or whatever is next in linein the bootup..I could swear the dvd player had a longer starup than just a short buzz like that.

/me thinks

So you have got power at least, and then it fails to complete the boot-up process. And does it just stick at that point, or close itself down and go into a perpetual loop of rebooting?  

You do get to know how your machinery is supposed to sound, and if it's getting stuck communicating with the DVD drive, you could disconnect it altogether if you knew what to do inside. I wouldn't. I'd be "getting a little man in" at this point (in my case, sending my device back in for a full service - but that's what my set up is currently).

Hopefully someone a bit more technically-minded can offer some more useful suggestions - maybe start a new thread?

• Thanks 1

Peeve: Having to sit in my own home, with all the windows and doors closed, and earplugs and ear defenders utilised, because there is so much neighbourhood noise currently. It really is off the scale. We have not even been warned that there would be disruptive and noisy works going on at the nearby block of flats. 

Scaffolders are obviously people who were never allowed to have a drum kit when they were children! Grrrhhh!!!

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

/me thinks

So you have got power at least, and then it fails to complete the boot-up process. And does it just stick at that point, or close itself down and go into a perpetual loop of rebooting?  

You do get to know how your machinery is supposed to sound, and if it's getting stuck communicating with the DVD drive, you could disconnect it altogether if you knew what to do inside. I wouldn't. I'd be "getting a little man in" at this point (in my case, sending my device back in for a full service - but that's what my set up is currently).

Hopefully someone a bit more technically-minded can offer some more useful suggestions - maybe start a new thread?

It loops about 3 times then stops

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Scaffolders are obviously people who were never allowed to have a drum kit when they were children! Grrrhhh!!!

OMG, I feel your pain!  I am currently on my kitchen laptop which faces the house next door where construction has been going on since one day in March when we were regaled by the sounds of the former mudroom being ripped off the back of that house.  A two-story extension has since been built, the house innards gutted, the exterior stripped, and a pool put in the back yard.  I have not used my driveway in months since their scaffolding encroaches on it and there were many nails dropped, etc.  My bedroom also faces that direction and I was jolted awake one morning at 6 a.m. by construction (a gentle reminder of the hours mandated by local ordinance prevented any recurrence of that!)  And on and on and on......... 🔨🛠️

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

How frustrating. And yet to those in the know it's probably a simple fix. Doubly frustrating. No way of booting it in safe mode? 

I think the dvd drive is right befor the harddrives so The dvd is probably going to have to be unhooked first.. I'm thinking anyways.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I think the dvd drive is right befor the harddrives so The dvd is probably going to have to be unhooked first.. I'm thinking anyways.

If you can hold down the right key during startup, you can probably boot into BIOS and disable the DVD drive from the startup sequence..

If that is the issue. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It loops about 3 times then stops

edit: doesn't sound like any specific fault with DVD drive or something if you're just getting fans on with no video. No video is usually an indication of something fundamentally wrong.

Clear CMOS settings in the BIOS, should be a jumper or a button on the motherboard to do so. Might have become corrupted somehow.

If no success after that remove sticks of memory and re-insert. Re-seat CPU is also an option but unlikely to be a problem these days. If still nothing then remove everything to absolute minimum required components: video card, one stick of memory, CPU and nothing else.

edit2: Oh gosh Amelia, read more. It's a laptop.

Okay, open it up. To clear CMOS settings you're looking for a little coin cell battery (usually marked with '2032' on it) that will be attached by a wire and connector to the motherboard, unplug it carefully for 10 minutes and then plug it back in. This will clear CMOS settings as mentioned above. Definitely re-seat memory if it is in slots as well. Unfortunately power on/fans spinning on laptops can often be something far worse to do with power regulation and is unfortunately common but you can still try. The main battery connector will also be quite obvious and you can disconnect/reconnect this carefully as well, probably wise to do so whenever working on any laptop.

The laptop may not be happy after disconnecting this little battery by the way, sometimes they take a few stabs of the power button to start up and there might be a delay before anything appears on the screen- entirely normal.

If you feel like delving into this I could maybe provide more detailed instructions, what is the make/exact model?

Edited by AmeliaJ08

3 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

/me thinks

It's very easy to disconnect the drive intenaly. There is a sata cable plugged in, and a power cable . The PC usually beeps on errors. If it's possible to get into the uefi or bios,  and reset to failsafe defaults that's something to try. As well as clearing the cmos. Also, there may be an internal display on the motherboard showing error codes. I've run onto a similar issue, where the Video card was at fault, when the fans spun, and tossing in a spare one let my machine boot. Reseating the RAM modules is another thing to consider. And of course, the power supply may be faulty.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

It's very easy to disconnect the drive intenaly. There is a sata cable plugged in, and a power cable . The PC usually beeps on errors. If it's possible to get into the uefi or bios,  and reset to failsafe defaults that's something to try. As well as clearing the cmos. Also, there may be an internal display on the motherboard showing error codes. I've run onto a similar issue, where the Video card was at fault, when the fans spun, and tossing in a spare one let my machine boot. Reseating the RAM modules is another thing to consider. And of course, the power supply may be faulty.

lolwut?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If you can hold down the right key during startup, you can probably boot into BIOS and disable the DVD drive from the startup sequence..

If that is the issue. 🙂 

I think he's going to remove the video card tonight and see if anything happens. He's been home late the last couple of days and just too tired..

We haven't gotten any kind of video yet and the keyboard and mouse haven't booted yet either.

He's gonna look for anything loose as  well. 

I'll know more tonight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

edit: doesn't sound like any specific fault with DVD drive or something if you're just getting fans on with no video. No video is usually an indication of something fundamentally wrong.

Clear CMOS settings in the BIOS, should be a jumper or a button on the motherboard to do so. Might have become corrupted somehow.

If no success after that remove sticks of memory and re-insert. Re-seat CPU is also an option but unlikely to be a problem these days. If still nothing then remove everything to absolute minimum required components: video card, one stick of memory, CPU and nothing else.

edit2: Oh gosh Amelia, read more. It's a laptop.

Okay, open it up. To clear CMOS settings you're looking for a little coin cell battery (usually marked with '2032' on it) that will be attached by a wire and connector to the motherboard, unplug it carefully for 10 minutes and then plug it back in. This will clear CMOS settings as mentioned above. Definitely re-seat memory if it is in slots as well. Unfortunately power on/fans spinning on laptops can often be something far worse to do with power regulation and is unfortunately common but you can still try. The main battery connector will also be quite obvious and you can disconnect/reconnect this carefully as well, probably wise to do so whenever working on any laptop.

The laptop may not be happy after disconnecting this little battery by the way, sometimes they take a few stabs of the power button to start up and there might be a delay before anything appears on the screen- entirely normal.

If you feel like delving into this I could maybe provide more detailed instructions, what is the make/exact model?

It's a desktop.. my break is over so I'll respond tonight when i get home.. 

Thank you all for the great input and help:D

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's a desktop.. my break is over so I'll respond tonight when i get home.. 

Thank you all for the great input and help:D

Oh gosh, I managed to get myself even more confused than I thought then. Yeah, try a CMOS clear - look up the motherboard model on google if you need help with that.

• Like 1