4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: When you started out thinking person A is nice and person B is mean, but learn over time that you don't know anything - and you had it backwards!

For me that realization only brings disappointment because I expected better from someone.  I am sorry you had to live it.  *hugs*

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Peeve: I bought some sugar-free "Fudgesicle" brand frozen treats, assuming they are the classic "Twin Pops".

What I thought was the "twins" - were really separate packages for each "twin", connected only by the packaging!

Not sure if I think it is "cheating" to pre-separate the "twin pops", or if it is brilliant!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: When you started out thinking person A is nice and person B is mean, but learn over time that you don't know anything - and you had it backwards!

Maybe both person A and person B can be mean sometimes, for instance when they feel like they're being baited, cornered, misrepresented or triggered. 

Bringing up the past, likewise, can sometimes be a narcissistic tactic, but can also happen when a person feels wounded and hasn't healed from a similar past hurt.

As an example, I couldn't let go of my housemate letting me wait for 5 hours in a motel parking lot, saying I was being oversensitive when I told her I was angry, and then never apologizing (though she did take me out for dinner and breakfast the next day). Months later, I would still post on Facebook about how some people are insensitive and can't apologize, because she had triggered an even earlier wound that hadn't healed.

When people overreact, this may be a sign of deeper issues they need to work through, not that they are "bad", oversensitive, narcissistic or whatever label we want to put on them to try to make them easy to pigeon-hole.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Peeve: I went to restart the computer and it won't restart. Soo that's a good start to a Monday.

A trick that works for me sometimes especially laptops is to unplug power sources like the cord and battery pack and then press and hold the On button for 10 seconds or so. Then reconnect the power sources and press the On button and it will start depending on the original problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Peeve: when interesting topics get derailed and locked because of the usual suspects picking on another forum member...you know who you are and stoppit 🤨

I agree. Apparently, in the older days, the forums were MUCH wilder though, from what I've heard

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

A trick that works for me sometimes especially laptops is to unplug power sources like the cord and battery pack and then press and hold the On button for 10 seconds or so. Then reconnect the power sources and press the On button and it will start depending on the original problem.

Doing that drains the capacitors, which is good. Sometimes though, I've had to leave the power disconnected on a Tower overnight before the issue resolves, even after having cleared the CMOS, and holding the power button down for up to one minute.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Bringing up the past, likewise, can sometimes be a narcissistic tactic, but can also happen when a person feels wounded and hasn't healed from a similar past hurt.

And could be nothing more than that someone has said something in past that seemingly contradicts their position in the present. Being challenged on that doesn't strike me as a bad thing if the intent is getting to know one another better. The only thing I would point out is that the previous time should be linked so the one being challenged has an idea of where the apparent confusion might be stemming from.

• Like 3

On 9/23/2023 at 2:31 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve: Social media algorithms.

How really poorly programmed must they be to look at my viewing history on YouTube and decide that I'll be interested in videos featuring "Before and After Shots of Women in Prison" or "Cher Aging"?

Twitter's worse, although I'm not sure that it isn't by design that it keeps throwing misogynists, homophobes, transphobes, and fascists at me as suggested "Follows."

"This woman posts a lot about women's issues! She should follow Andrew Tate!"

🤢

On 9/23/2023 at 2:56 PM, Rat Luv said:

They really make no sense! :S It was really bad a couple of years ago...on another forum, we were comparing the Youtube ones we were recommended, everybody was getting "The Truth Behind Italy's $1 homes" and "South Armagh Bandit Country", lol. And I was getting Thomas Sowell video recommendations even though I've never looked at any of his content before...and the infamous 'Japanese cat album' that so many people got recommended, it actually made the news, and then got re-released...

image.jpeg.9548b3b35b41a12bfd8f5b7db2e03974.jpeg

On 9/23/2023 at 3:01 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG. It was recommending Thomas Sewell??? You mean the Australian Neo-Nazi????

Next up, a great book we think you'd be interested in by a former Austrian painter called Mein Kampf . . .

Yeah. Not sure if this should make me more or less afraid of the prospect of AI taking over the world.

Too dumb to manage it, or so dumb that it kills us all?

Peeve: That people are more likely to click headlines that make them angry, which is why the algorithms do this. 

• Like 3

On 9/23/2023 at 12:05 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, gosh, won't THIS make clubs MUCH more fun!!!!

F6j3oOfXYAA0VpH?format=jpg&name=small

I've heard that some people derender clothes. The "why" totally loses me. There's no shortage of people who will WILLINGLY undress in SL. But that's just me. As to the profile thing, don't we WANT people to read our profiles? 

But this really DID make me laugh!!!

Edited by Bagnu
Sentence correction. added the word "who"
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I've heard that some people derender clothes. The "why" totally loses me. There's no shortage of people will WILLINGLY undress in SL. But that's just me. As to the profile thing, don't we WANT people to read our profiles? 

A lot of it is the taboo. And I'm sure that for a few at least, the pleasure in having "violated" someone.

But it's also generally true, I think, that full and accessible nudity can be less titillating than a captured glimpse. It's the strip tease effect, emphasis on the "tease" part.

I've heard it remarked that at strip clubs, men will turn their attention away from the nearly naked dancer on stage, to try to look down the top of the waitress serving them beer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

A lot of it is the taboo. And I'm sure that for a few at least, the pleasure in having "violated" someone.

But it's also generally true, I think, that full and accessible nudity can be less titillating than a captured glimpse. It's the strip tease effect, emphasis on the "tease" part.

I've heard it remarked that at strip clubs, men will turn their attention away from the nearly naked dancer on stage, to try to look down the top of the waitress serving them beer.

I DO get that some people enjoy "violating" someone. It's just not my thing. And I'm totally against it. 

Full nudity really isn't titillating. It's what we DON'T see, and WANT to see that's exciting. There really isn't anything sexual about a naked body, unless it happens to be a sexual situation. People in cultures where everyone is mostly naked, don't walk around sexually aroused all day because of that. It's just normal. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'll give that a try when I get home.

I have a feeling I won't get off that easy though. Hehehe 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

I've heard that some people derender clothes. The "why" totally loses me. There's no shortage of people will WILLINGLY undress in SL. But that's just me. As to the profile thing, don't we WANT people to read our profiles? 

It's the ones with angry rants in their profiles and "protection" prims that you do it to, then send them a screenshot.

I've been known to message someone that I never intended to talk to and say "hi baby" when the first thing in their profile says they hate that.

You'll never change my mind that the people that fight the hardest against "being bothered" are going to attract it more than anyone else.

• Like 1