I learned a lot of really interesting sciency things from the Kaku video -- but he's so caught up in the "how can we do this?" that he never asks "Should we do this?" or "What are the implications of doing this?" He's well aware that his teleporter isn't actually teleporting anything other than data, and making a copy of the original elsewhere, but he doesn't even acknowledge that until the very end of the video. So, what do you do with the "original" at the departure point? Continue to replicate it (you) every time it's teleported, with the result that there are potentially endless copies running around? Or destroy it/you?

This is the kind of "science" that sometimes scares me.

Larry Niven's piece was much better in that regard. I didn't learn nearly as much "science," but he asks the right questions, and frequently responds with what I think are the right answers, because he is thinking about this in human and in ethical terms, and not merely as a science problem that needs to be "solved."

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I learned a lot of really interesting sciency things from the Kaku video -- but he's so caught up in the "how can we do this?" that he never asks "Should we do this?" or "What are the implications of doing this?" He's well aware that his teleporter isn't actually teleporting anything other than data, and making a copy of the original elsewhere, but he doesn't even acknowledge that until the very end of the video. So, what do you do with the "original" at the departure point? Continue to replicate it (you) every time it's teleported, with the result that there are potentially endless copies running around? Or destroy it/you?

This is the kind of "science" that sometimes scares me.

Larry Niven's piece was much better in that regard. I didn't learn nearly as much "science," but he asks the right questions, and frequently responds with what I think are the right answers, because he is thinking about this in human and in ethical terms, and not merely as a science problem that needs to be "solved."

Find a way to transport someone's data but take out something like cancer data in some way and have a healthy version on the other end. Then since we know how to teleport, it's a good chance we know how to brain transplant too.. hehehehe

Capture Ryan Reynolds.. I mean the new version of you and put the brain from the other end that you started with and now once it's in, just go shopping or something or  whatever you were gonna do before someone said, hey wanna try something really cool..

lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Find a way to transport someone's data but take out something like cancer data in some way and have a healthy version on the other end. Then since we know how to teleport, it's a good chance we know how to brain transplant too.. hehehehe

Capture Ryan Reynolds.. I mean the new version of you and put the brain from the other end that you started with and now once it's in, just go shopping or something or  whatever you were gonna do before someone said, hey wanna try something really cool..

lol

Well there is a toxin in a bee in Brazil that can kill cancer cells and leave healthy cells alone. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

lol

Well, totally. I mean, I can think of a zillion really useful applications for some of the technologies here. Imagine if you could save that data to reproduce healthy copies of body parts that go wrong with disease or age!

And it would be useful to have a reliable copy of me to work for me while I went shopping at Uber or C88 instead . . .

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

/me looks sceptical

Soooo . . . they've finally cured cancer, have they?

They found a wasp in Brazil that can kill cancer cells. But its not out yet. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-34115112

I would trust that before I trust my body being torn apart from the molecular level. 

Edited by Sammy Huntsman

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Larry Niven covered all these issues and many more 50 years ago, in his humorous essay, "The Theory and Practice of Teleportation"

https://www.scribd.com/document/456908854/The-Theory-and-Practice-of-Teleportation-Larry-Niven-pdf

Highly recommended!

One of the Golden Age Sci Fi authors wrote a short story on teleportation, where the inventor never tried it because they were afraid the "newly created" person would be different and not know it. In their old age, the inventor was convinced to finally try it.

diabetes

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Interesting, although a 7 year old article, so they ain't got it working yet.

Fingers crossed though.

The real preventative is a good immunity building diet  really..

If more people took their diets serious, we wouldn't have a lot of the diseases that we have today..

I'm not talking about weight loss kind of diets, because so many hear diet and think weight loss diet first thing..

Just eating healthy and paying attention to what goes in our bodies..

And the thing is, it doesn't take very long at all to start to feel the benefits of a good healthy diet.. I mean not even a week before you start feeling better and more energy and joints with less inflammation and all kinds of really good things..

I have a veggie fruit smoothy every day and since I been doing that.. Lets just say, they are the best thing since the invention of iced water.. hehehe

I have gotten so many people at my old job hooked on things that are good for them and they thank me all the time..

People with borderline diabetes being able to reverse it rather than it going the other way..

We are born with cancer cells and the sooner we build to put up a good fight the better..

I hope this didn't come off as preachy because it's not meant to be.. I just get kind of passionate when it comes to how important and how good for us good diets are.. They can turn things around  really quick.. I just feel it's important to say it when I can..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

diabetes

The real preventative is a good immunity building diet  really..

If more people took their diets serious, we wouldn't have a lot of the diseases that we have today..

I'm not talking about weight loss kind of diets, because so many hear diet and think weight loss diet first thing..

Just eating healthy and paying attention to what goes in our bodies..

And the thing is, it doesn't take very long at all to start to feel the benefits of a good healthy diet.. I mean not even a week before you start feeling better and more energy and joints with less inflammation and all kinds of really good things..

I have a veggie fruit smoothy every day and since I been doing that.. Lets just say, they are the best thing since the invention of iced water.. hehehe

I have gotten so many people at my old job hooked on things that are good for them and they thank me all the time..

People with borderline diabetes being able to reverse it rather than it going the other way..

We are born with cancer cells and the sooner we build to put up a good fight the better..

I hope this didn't come off as preachy because it's not meant to be.. I just get kind of passionate when it comes to how important and how good for us good diets are.. They can turn things around  really quick.. I just feel it's important to say it when I can..

I do agree that a healthy diet is good for you.  But what constitutes a healthy diet?  I used to think that it was really important to consume a variety of fruits and vegetables, nuts and whole grains.  Then I learned that for me, that particular choice in diet was very bad.  I am sensitive to oxalates which are found in all plants.  For me a healthy diet is a low oxalate diet.  There are a bunch of plants that are poison to me, but nutritious and healthy for most people, like spinach, carrots, tomatoes, nuts, potatoes, chocolate, avocados, most spices and black tea. I had to radically change the way I eat. Your smoothies would probably put me in the hospital.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I do agree that a healthy diet is good for you.  But what constitutes a healthy diet?  I used to think that it was really important to consume a variety of fruits and vegetables, nuts and whole grains.  Then I learned that for me, that particular choice in diet was very bad.  I am sensitive to oxalates which are found in all plants.  For me a healthy diet is a low oxalate diet.  There are a bunch of plants that are poison to me, but nutritious and healthy for most people, like spinach, carrots, tomatoes, nuts, potatoes, chocolate, avocados, most spices and black tea. I had to radically change the way I eat. Your smoothies would probably put me in the hospital.

Ya it's always good to  consult and research and things.. this is why it so good to start early in life.. this way when we are up in age we have a much better Idea about ourselves.. it's like anything else, there is a learning curve to it.

I always ask people if they are allergic or have problems with things I might suggest.. like chia seed water.. some people can't have that, so i always say to them to make sure you check with your doctor if you are not sure..

There is no one single path for things, it's getting to know yourself inside and out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Are there really people out there who want to live forever?
I mean, life is a great gift, but forever is awfully long.

Not me, when it is my time to go. It is my time to go. Do not upload my conscienceness to any sort of computer. Again I am one of those people who see the immorality of it. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:
1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

I fully expect to do so but in a new kind of body.

There's so many old dystopian Sci Fi stories:

- People live "forever" but their bodies keep getting more decrepit

- People live "forever" but really don't want to, so have to beg their caregivers for this thing called "euthanasia" (that does not exist due to laws)

- People "die" but are "reborn" into new bodies with slightly different personalities and definitely different priorities. See "Born with  the Dead", Robert Silverberg.

etc.

54 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I wonder. Stuck with mortality, do we find ways to make immortality unappealing so we won't miss it? Like the child who exclaims "I hate ice-cream!" after dropping their cone on the sidewalk?

I have been able to learn something new seemingly every day since my birth. If that could continue forever and as free of pain as I have been so far, count me in! This is, of course, a terribly complex hypothetical. If immortality were possible, I'd not be the only one seeking it. That's a problem!

I once heard the head of the CDC (IIRC) claiming that the first person to become 200 years old was alive today. He waxed ebullient about that prospect, but I immediately saw some problems...

China's one-child policy re-implemented world wide, to reduce overcrowding.
Politicians running for their 135th term in office.
Applying for a job in competition with someone with 120 years of seniority.
Losing your job to a 30 year old "kid" who's steeped in the current state-of-the-art.
Having to earn continuing education credits for over 100 years.
Eight generations of one family living under the same roof, with only the 50 year old generation earning good money.
Trying to remember 200 years of life experience with a brain that evolved to hold 60.

I'm sure you can imagine more downside.

So, would I want to live forever?
Under the right circumstances? Yep!
Under the wrong? Nope!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There's so many old dystopian Sci Fi stories:

- People live "forever" but their bodies keep getting more decrepit

- People live "forever" but really don't want to, so have to beg their caregivers for this thing called "euthanasia" (that does not exist due to laws)

- People "die" but are "reborn" into new bodies with slightly different personalities and definitely different priorities. See "Born with  the Dead", Robert Silverberg.

etc.

I mean the founder of Scientology was a Sci Fi writer, before he went off the deep end. And he wrote some pretty dystopian books. I mean ray bradbury and isaac asimov are great examples too. Robert Heinlen is another great example. Yeah I am a bit of a book/sci fi nerd. Lol 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I wonder. Stuck with mortality, do we find ways to make immortality unappealing so we won't miss it? Like the child who exclaims "I hate ice-cream!" after dropping their cone on the sidewalk?

I have been able to learn something new seemingly every day since my birth. If that could continue forever and as free of pain as I have been so far, count me in! This is, of course, a terribly complex hypothetical. If immortality were possible, I'd not be the only one seeking it. That's a problem!

I once heard the head of the CDC (IIRC) claiming that the first person to become 200 years old was alive today. He waxed ebullient about that prospect, but I immediately saw some problems...

Losing your job to a 30 year old "kid" who's steeped in the current state-of-the-art.
Eight generations of one family living under the same roof, with only the 50 year old generation earning good money.
Trying to remember 200 years of life experience with a brain that evolved to hold 60.

Under the wrong? Nope!

After a while it would get boring I feel. I mean imagine outliving your future generations, and then they are all gone. I don't know why immortality is cool. I mean yeah I used to like it, when I feared death. But I don't fear death anymore, and when it is my time. It is my time, bury me and let the earth turn me into earth. Without uploading my conscienceness to a computer. But I mean there is more to the whole immortality dilemma than you just listed. The one biggest thing, being around when the earth ends. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Under the wrong? Nope!

it would make it easier to be patient and accepting of being unable to get into really busy events to buy stuff, though.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

After a while it would get boring I feel. I mean imagine outliving your future generations, and then they are all gone. I don't know why immortality is cool. I mean yeah I used to like it, when I feared death. But I don't fear death anymore, and when it is my time. It is my time, bury me and let the earth turn me into earth. Without uploading my conscienceness to a computer. But I mean there is more to the whole immortality dilemma than you just listed. The one biggest thing, being around when the earth ends. 

I've been alive for 52 years and can't recall a boring moment. If everyone's immortal, nobody outlives anybody. If we all just keep learning (that's a huge "if"), I think we could keep boredom at bay. Yeah, we'd all be looking into the abyss of the heat death of the universe, but is that any different than a 20 year old looking at death in 60 years?

I enjoy hypothesizing as much as the next person, but I find most of the immortality tropes hopelessly limited by our mortal imaginations. I'm now thinking of a favorite line from Laurie' Anderson's song "Language is a Virus".

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better.

• Like 4