1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Would fit well with James Joyce's Ulysses too, due to all the crapping. Or Canterbury Tales, more crapping. Boy, people sure used to write about crapping a lot.

Ulysses is certainly possible, but even more so Finnegan's Wake, which is an entire tissue of awful puns and neologisms (and in my view entirely unreadable).

Chaucer does indeed use a lot of scatology, and quite explicit sexuality, but he's not guilty of that one.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
"Chancery," autocorrect? Seriously?
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Peeve: Being greeted with a "Hey!"

Hey is considered a very loud, shouty and aggressive word in England, usually used to gain other people's attention in such circumstances as:

"HEY! That's my fianceé/car/property that you're messing around/stealing, stop it!"  

"Hey" has been imported from the US, which in turn got it from Norwegian migrants, where "Hei" (pronounced hey), literally means hi or hello,  but with the original E that was dropped in the US.

"Hello" basically means "Hey".

https://www.etymonline.com/word/hello

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-origin-of-hello

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Peeve:  Creators who include an image of their store logo in the sales box, but do not include an image of the product (especially when it is a clothing item).  

Actually, along these lines.

Packs of BOM makeup that don't include a colour key image.

GRRRRRR!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Actually, along these lines.

GRRRRRR!

Especially when they already HAVE the vendor pic with all the colors.  Why they don't include it with the product has always baffled me.  I don't know how many times I've had to go back and snap a pic, spending another 10L.  Hairbases also when they include multiple colors.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

GRRRRRR!

I was a bit irritated earlier today, also, when I unpacked a pack of BOM lipstick and noticed there was not a color key image.  Additionally, each numbered color had 4 'fits' labeled A, B, C and X without any explanation I could see of which fit might be targeted to which mesh head.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Especially when they already HAVE the vendor pic with all the colors.  Why they don't include it with the product has always baffled me.  I don't know how many times I've had to go back and snap a pic, spending another 10L.  Hairbases also when they include multiple colors.  

Hairbases with names like "Satin Night" or "Chocolate Marshmallow."

Ugh. TELL ME WHAT COLOUR IT IS! "Dark Black" is much more helpful!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Additionally, each numbered color had 4 'fits' labeled A, B, C and X without any explanation I could see of which fit might be targeted to which mesh head. 

I have a few hairs that are like this, sized in "A," "B," and "T" or something equally unhelpful. And no notecard explaining.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Or when they do give you a picture but it is no help because the color names don't in any way correlate to the picture.

Tell me which of these names:
image.png.1a60d65dd4b994b35bfbe52834f87f8b.png

Match up to these colors?
image.thumb.png.ccf011c4263aaab5a995d73157c74e99.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Or when they do give you a picture but it is no help because the color names don't in any way correlate to the picture.

Well, I find the fourth one extremely arousing, so it MUST be "erogenous."

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The crapper is another euphemism base on the name of the man who manufactured one of the first widely successful lines of flush toilets, Thomas Crapper. Unfortunately his name is also now associated with items of poor quality and with human refuse itself. Kind of a crappy way to be immortalized. 💩

So, Crapper invented a crapper that was crap. Well, that's because he wasn't a Scot! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

In California sunrooms are seen mostly in upscale homes.

Greenhouses are where people grow their cannabis plants.

Most sunrooms I've seen were additions or conversions done to middle class homes.

Well yeah, we do that here, too. Some of us anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ulysses is certainly possible, but even more so Finnegan's Wake, which is an entire tissue of awful puns and neologisms (and in my view entirely unreadable).

Chaucer does indeed use a lot of scatology, and quite explicit sexuality, but he's not guilty of that one.

3KGq.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They don't sell any sultry eye shadows, unfortunately.

And then again: Smokin'! ("Smokey")

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hairbases with names like "Satin Night" or "Chocolate Marshmallow."

Ugh. TELL ME WHAT COLOUR IT IS! "Dark Black" is much more helpful!

How about, use colors that most people don't know such as ecru, mauve,  cerulean. These links have much more obscure colors.

https://bestlifeonline.com/obscure-colors/

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/53121/11-colors-youve-probably-never-heard

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How about, use colors that most people don't know such as ecru, mauve,  cerulean. These links have much more obscure colors.

https://bestlifeonline.com/obscure-colors/

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/53121/11-colors-youve-probably-never-heard

Eh. Most women know these colors, Love.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Peas are fine as long as one knows to NOT let them get mushy.

Peeve: people who don't let the peas get mushy. Can't do a proper pea soup that way, even~! XD

If you don't let them get mushy, you have to eat them in the French fashion, minus the fish n chips, and lining them up with a butter knife! It's awful! Plus, I hate having to dress up like Napoleon to eat!

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Leftovers from all of the religious wars that happened in Europe eons and eons ago.

Peeve: how nobody ever blames human nature for wars, but instead just blame failed peace movements that ended in wars that were more about gold and land and slaves than about any kind of ideology. I hated going to church too, but the pastor never told me to go kill anyone.

Another peeve, while I'm at it: people who use conflicts between countries they never cared anything about beforehand as an excuse to wear a good-guy badge while spewing hate and calling for the murder of their fellow human beings without even realizing how hypocritical they are, right in front of everyone, while complaining that their own government isn't doing more to fund one side's evil agenda over the other's. And all of this while denouncing "privilege" and so forth, and drinking Starbucks and throwing the cup out the car window when nobody is looking except some homeless veteran who goes to jail every time someone finds him trying to sleep somewhere.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Joyce's Finnegan's Wake is dreadful. The proper "Finnegan's Wake" less so.

• Like 3