53 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The reason you haven't seen many comments on the leaked draft decision is twofold:

1. All the women are too furious to trust themselves to say anything.
  2. All the men are afraid to say anything, because see 1. above.

And maybe a third one: It's a DRAFT. They can still change their minds.

Six of the 9 won't change their minds. 

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

landlord is my pet peave this week....he wants to do a walk through.....why? says he want to look for broke stuff.... if it was broke id call him....well actually not because every time ive had him fix something he raised my rent $100...so i pay $1200 more a year for him fixing a clogged drain

• Sad 2

On 5/3/2022 at 7:14 AM, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Probably why Ikea has those instructions with drawing on how to put flat-packed item together.

Those type of instructions are a peeve to me!

I spent a couple of hours yesterday putting together my new computer desk...with instructions in chinese.  Good thing it had pictures!  Today was two sets of outdoor furniture assembling.  Tomorrow...if my new tv stand arrives (movers broke my original one) more assembling may be in the cards.

Good thing I actually enjoy doing stuff like this.

Peeve - cutting up my hand up using a screwdriver when putting together a tallboy.  Solved by going and buying an electric one for the other tallboy.

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Peeve - cutting up my hand up using a screwdriver when putting together a tallboy.  Solved by going and buying an electric one for the other tallboy.

Now you can cut your hand twice as fast and twice as deep! AND you can wrench your wrist when you set the torque limit too high.  Fun times!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Anyway, yes, peeves: International work visas are a pain in the tuckus to obtain.

Are you really considering? I truly am...to Mexico. Love the color of Frida Kahlo's house there....the blue is so relaxing.

Pet Peeve:  It's so damn hard to move, especially to another country.

Frida Kahlo Blue.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Are you really considering? I truly am...to Mexico. Love the color of Frida Kahlo's house there....the blue is so relaxing.

Frida Kahlo Blue.jpg

Just move to California. We have a largely liberal-minded population and Democrat controlled legislature. You can find houses of this style in some areas too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Frida Kahlo Blue.jpg

Ooo that IS pretty!

And yup, I never actually stopped considering. I managed to make it out of the country in 2002 - spent two years in the UK attending college, which is arguably the easiest way to do it. Unfortunately, my financial aid fell through halfway in (eep), soooo I started looking for full-time work before the student visa ran out. That's when I learned the very hard way that companies do not sponsor too easily and the visa process in many places tends to work the same way (company sponsors you, has to convince the gov that they absolutely neeeed you they can't find any local citizen to do what you alone can do, temp visa granted, etc., red tape red tape red tape). That was almost impossible in my original field at the time (graphic design). Came back to the US and decided to wait and try again in the future.

Now that things are essentially um...not great, it's the perfect time to start looking again! I asked a good SL friend in Australia to adopt me yesterday and she said sure come on over, but the visa process there is essentially the same. I believe Panama has a deal with the US for an expedited smoother process, but I need to look into that more.

Oh and yeah, I've absolutely considered Mexico, too. I don't think it's quite as easy either, but it's been a minute since I've checked, LOL.

Another peeve: Seriously, why is moving abroad SO HARD?! And do not believe any of those digital nomad blog posts - it's even harder to work legally and gain a proper visa as a freelancer, short of starting an entire business (and putting locals on the payroll).

3 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Just move to California. We have a largely liberal-minded population and Democrat controlled legislature. You can find houses of this style in some areas too.

I'm in NY, so I'm totally safe (for now). Still...

fyd7.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Another peeve: Seriously, why is moving abroad SO HARD?! And do not believe any of those digital nomad blog posts - it's even harder to work legally and gain a proper visa as a freelancer, short of starting an entire business (and putting locals on the payroll).

It's basically impossible unless you're very wealthy. Marriage is about the only way and even then the insane requirements often make the decision about which country and binational couple end up settling in (if they can do it at all).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It's basically impossible unless you're very wealthy. Marriage is about the only way and even then the insane requirements often make the decision about which country and binational couple end up settling in (if they can do it at all).

Very true. My brother is married to a woman from Trinidad and they live here, but one day when their kids were still super young he said $@#! it and moved his wife and kids to Trinidad. They stayed as long as they could - up until the kids were in grade school, but he ran into visa problems eventually too, even with the whole family there! So now they're back here and he's been miserable for yearrrrrrrs, much like me LOL.

It IS doable - but you really need to be in certain fields. Medicine, IT, the sciences, military, teaching English, hospitality - those are the biggies. Outside of that, gooooooood luck.

Peeve: Why didn't I go to med school?! Oh wait yeah, I'm squeamish as hell.

• Like 2

I have not actually done it, so I can't claim expert knowledge. But a number of countries offer permanent residence (if not citizenship) to people who can show a certain level of annual income (i.e. Social Security or a pension), and/or who deposit a certain amount in a local bank,  and/or who invest in the country by starting a business of a certain minimum size there, and/or who just "invest" in a country by paying their government a large sum of money. Belize, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama and Canada spring to mind, but there are others.

I like Canada personally. Most of the natives speak my language. But 3/4 of the country is uninhabited/uninhabitable; most of the people live in a narrow band just north of the US border.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Twenty years later and I am still trying to convince him we do not need two of everything!

I mean if one breaks, then you have the second one to fall on. That is my logic for having two of everything. 

24 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean if one breaks, then you have the second one to fall on. That is my logic for having two of everything. 

We do not have the storage space and it is a waste of money and time. I do not enjoy it when others create unnecessary work for me.

• Like 1

In assisting (some) building apprentices at a dedicated college, let me tell you a most common nail gun self imposed injury is through the knee cap and into a neighbouring leg bone.
Hand injuries are the second most common. (straight through any bone of the hand or finger).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

In assisting (some) building apprentices at a dedicated college, let me tell you a most common nail gun self imposed injury is through the knee cap and into a neighbouring leg bone.
Hand injuries are the second most common. (straight through any bone of the hand or finger).

Ow ... ow ... ow ... ow ... ow ... ow ... ow ... ow ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I forgot to add rarely do they do this in a controlled college workshop environment thank goodness. 
Otherwise I would be....😵🤢🤮

You're reminding me of the ubiquitous high school Shop teacher missing at least 1 finger. And the college Shop teachers who taught always to remove your rings and wear clip-on ties.