CasperTech Acquisition Discussion

Patch Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Carrie Tatsu said:

Questions.

Does this acquisition mean LL will force a monopoly with vending systems as you did with linden exchange back in the day?

Will 3rd parties be allowed to directly compete with Casper Vend system? Hint : you better say yes.

You responded with this.. "If I say a single "Yes", does that mean the questions cancel one another out?"

Please explain what that means..

10000000% this, that answer is so vague. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Casper Warden said:

Not yet. We're following proper data protection process and contacting every avatar who we hold data on (look out for an e-mail or a notecard in-world).

And what does that mean? That I can opt out of having LL see my data? And if I opt out does that mean I can no longer use the service going forward? 

• Like 4

Just now, Streex Foxtrot said:

And what does that mean? That I can opt out of having LL see my data? And if I opt out does that mean I can no longer use the service going forward? 

Yes you can. You can request removal of your data (the link is in the notecard, but IM me inworld if you want it directly - I want to avoid the service being overloaded)

But yes, if you request this of course your service will cease to function, we can't operate without that data

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Casper Warden said:

Not yet. We're following proper data protection process and contacting every avatar who we hold data on (look out for an e-mail or a notecard in-world).

Sorry, my point wasn't that LL has access to CasperTech's data, but rather that it has the ability, by tracing exchanges of the L$ and deliveries to inventories, to reconstruct any kind of transaction they might want. There is nothing that CasperTech does that doesn't leave traces in SL's code. Were the point to sell data, they really wouldn't need CasperTech's own database.

I am glad to hear, however, that you'll be contacting users about their data. Transparency is a great thing.

• Like 2

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Dima Plessis said:

Depends which question you are saying yes to. Yes LL will force a monopoly to their vending system, or yes 3rd parties will be allowed?

16 minutes ago, Carrie Tatsu said:

Questions.

Does this acquisition mean LL will force a monopoly with vending systems as you did with linden exchange back in the day?

Will 3rd parties be allowed to directly compete with Casper Vend system? Hint : you better say yes.

You responded with this.. "If I say a single "Yes", does that mean the questions cancel one another out?"

Please explain what that means..

It means exactly what I said, absolutely nothing.   It was my terrible humor getting in the way again.

There will be no forcing of monopolies.   Competing vending systems continue as they do today. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Xstreet used to be free. Then came a 5% LL Marketplace tax.  Now Marketplace has a 10% LL tax....  see a pattern?

Greetings!

XstreetSL (originally SL Exchange) always charged commission on sales over 10L. 

That was how Apotheus made money to keep that version of the Marketplace running. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Les White said:

Was Casper about to fold? Is this a rescue mission?

No! We've been profitable since the day we launched.

But the amount that one guy (me) can handle is limited, and as CT grew I found myself with a massive challenge and not enough time to improve the service.

Now I can! *yay*

Edit: I didn't mean to exclude our amazing support people, I was referring to maintenance of the servers and code primarily, and support requests which required my intervention.

Edited by Casper Warden
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Streex Foxtrot said:

What data in SL do you think LL doesn't have access to currently?

Your SL would literally not function unless it was all available to them.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

LL surely has access to this data now: the CasparVend system piggybacks on existing SL code, including the exchange of L$. Why would you think they'd make nefarious use of it now, if they haven't already?

Honestly, I trust LL more with this data than a private vendor. Have you ever seen a ToS from CasperTech?

Do you mean the CasperTech TOS that's been on the wiki since 2014?

https://wiki.casperdns.com/index.php/Terms_of_Service

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Sphynx Soleil said:

Do you mean the CasperTech TOS that's been on the wiki since 2014?

https://wiki.casperdns.com/index.php/Terms_of_Service

That's great, but I've been using CasperVend forever, and I've never been asked to agree to it, that I can recall? Although maybe I've just forgotten? Is there a popup when you first use it?

My point was not that CasperVend can't be trusted. I'm sure it can. It was merely that LL itself seems more transparent than any other in-world service provided by residents that I've ever seen.

• Like 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

@Patch Linden 

How will this impact vendor (etc) pricing .. will there be an end to commission and paid vendors .. and just free vendors (etc) for everyone.

There will be no changes to how any of the products operate for a while and we hope to start off with bringing some new, exciting and additive features on board.   Maintaining service continuity and stability are key for us.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Rosie Langer said:

You have not sent me anything and i have Casperlet system on my land 

It takes a little time to send out 100,000 notecards - it'll be with you! If you don't recieve anything by midnight please ping me and i'll send it over. It's also in the CT group notices if you're in there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

There are a lot of great possibilities with this.

Big questions:

Will this now be part of a service offered by LL (Free)? Or will it be a product still purchased separately? 

For all of the users who purchased the systems in full, will they get any benefit from this acquisition since we helped CasperVend get to this point?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.