CasperTech Acquisition Discussion

Patch Linden
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

26 minutes ago, Grumpity Linden said:

Our main goal here is to ensure that the most popular vendor system in SL continues smooth and stable operations, and that we're able to better integrate with it with new product offerings once it's brought in-house. 

And what might those "new product offerings" be? :)

• Like 3

Well, well.  This is an interesting turn of events.  I remember when I created a topic floating the idea of an LL run inworld redelivery system.  The result?  Savaged by virtually all the respondents saying what a bad idea it was and now here we are with this a real possibility.

I think this is an excellent thing especially if it leads to a standardised vendor system and a universal inworld system of redelivery for copyable items.
That would be a very significant pro-customer step forward if done right.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

@Patch Linden and @Casper Wardenwill there be a preorder function added? I mean it would be nice if you could say, go to the store and they are using caspertech and bam you can just preorder say an outfit. Before it comes out. I am only asking, as it would be a nice function to add. 

It's too early to comment on exactly what we'll be adding, but that is a great idea ❤️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, faith Jolifaunt said:

Is LL going to start taking a percentage of our in-world sales now?? I don't know if I'm down with this.

I am actually completely okay with this. LL getting more money to fund it's expansion is something I view as a positive. This is good news to our team for sure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Leaving asides all the questions in regards to new features added or not, more importantly, will the way of acquiring the system for residents who does not own it already change?

Like will it be an implemented featured for everyone or still a paid system?

Do we need to fully buy it? Will be there different "packets" options now too? Will this ever go into subscription model?

Does the system may be integrated deeply enough into the viewer to not rely on scripted objects and just replace the basic vendor system already included?

If this one be a default included free feature for everyone, could this be considered as being added to some of the already existing premium packs considering that the premium plus it's even aimed more towards business?

Now, if we need support with our vendor system, would we need to contact LL directly through ticket support or there will be people directly in charge of the vendor system support?

Edited by Kitsune Shan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

@Patch Linden and @Casper Wardenwill there be a preorder function added? I mean it would be nice if you could say, go to the store and they are using caspertech and bam you can just preorder say an outfit. Before it comes out. I am only asking, as it would be a nice function to add. 

17 minutes ago, Casper Warden said:

It's too early to comment on exactly what we'll be adding, but that is a great idea ❤️

I agree this would be an amazing feature to have!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Kitsune Shan said:

Now, if we need support with our vendor system, would we need to contact LL directly through ticket support or there will be people directly in charge of the vendor system support?

Initially all remains the same, including support. Eventually Linden will also help with support and we'll figure out what that looks like in the future

Norsk
CasperTech Support

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Les White said:

Questions.

Does this acquisition mean LL will force a monopoly with vending systems as you did with linden exchange back in the day?

Will 3rd parties be allowed to directly compete with Casper Vend system? Hint : you better say yes.

If I say a single "Yes", does that mean the questions cancel one another out?

• Haha 10
  • Confused 2

What will Linden Lab do with the long lists of Caspertech's content creators, content and content purchases?  Will all this data remain 100% private, or will it be sold to marketing companies for advertising revenue?

I predict an inworld sales tax is highly inevitable with an LL owned Caspertech, there is no other possible reason for LL to purchase Caspertech, as they will certainly not keep it "free" forever.

This is a disgusting and disturbing move by LL which will further increase costs that will have to be passed on inworld to residents and creators, as well as increase fears of data sharing, ads and privacy.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Questions.

Does this acquisition mean LL will force a monopoly with vending systems as you did with linden exchange back in the day?

Will 3rd parties be allowed to directly compete with Casper Vend system? Hint : you better say yes.

You responded with this.. "If I say a single "Yes", does that mean the questions cancel one another out?"

Please explain what that means..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

What will Linden Lab do with the long lists of creators, content and content purchases?  Will all this data remain 100% private, or will it be sold to marketing companies for advertising revenue?

LL surely has access to this data now: the CasparVend system piggybacks on existing SL code, including the exchange of L$. Why would you think they'd make nefarious use of it now, if they haven't already?

Honestly, I trust LL more with this data than a private vendor. Have you ever seen a ToS from CasperTech?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

They are already dipping their fingers in the jar every step of the way.

How else are they going to fund everything they need to do to keep up with the other metaverses entering the market? I've been out in other metaverses and the average take for companies out there is 30% (Meta, for example.) or as high as 70% (Roblox). Try to keep those numbers in mind. We in Secondlife are a bit spoiled by comparison :P.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.