How to hack the Linden viewer so double click adds instead of replacing clothes etc

Anicha Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a long time Firestorm user. For various reasons (performance!) I'm increasingly using the official Linden viewer instead. It's good, but one thing I cannot get used to is the inability to change the double-click functionality when in Inventory. In FS you can easily change it so that double clicking on a clothing item in inventory will ADD instead of WEAR (Wear replaces anything already attached to that attachment point. Add does not, naturally).

I have minimal experience of hacking the viewer to meet my needs - but I can do some basics. For example, I can go into the menu_viewer.xml file and change  the menu shortcuts. I use BBEdit to edit the files. It's easy enough, with a bit of trial and error. I'm prepared to reinstall an app if necessary, and I back up the file before editing in any case. So what could possibly go wrong?

But to change the Wear to Add I need to know where to look, which file to edit. Should I be changing something in Debug settings instead? Or is it somewhere in all those files located in Contents | Resources | Skins | default | xui | en ???

Any help with this is much appreciated.

P.S. Dear Lindens - why can't we change this setting easily, without having to hack the viewer code?

On 9/5/2022 at 3:48 AM, Anicha Heartsong said:

P.S. Dear Lindens - why can't we change this setting easily, without having to hack the viewer code?

Because nobody really uses the SL Viewer?  I gave up wondering why their viewer doesn't have some of the most basic and useful features that everyone uses.

Suggestion - try the latest Firestorm beta viewer, which is close to being the new Release.  It has the performance features of the present SL viewer, and all the useful features we all expect.  Or try the other active TPV's which also have the enhanced performance code.  

Did you know one of the latest "features" of one of the Beta SL viewers is the ability for the mini-map to show parcel boundaries?  WoW!  That has been in most TPV viewers for the last 10 years.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Because nobody really uses the SL Viewer?  I gave up wondering why their viewer doesn't have some of the most basic and useful features that everyone uses.

Suggestion - try the latest Firestorm beta viewer, which is close to being the new Release.  It has the performance features of the present SL viewer, and all the useful features we all expect.  Or try the other active TPV's which also have the enhanced performance code.  

Did you know one of the latest "features" of one of the Beta SL viewers is the ability for the mini-map to show parcel boundaries?  WoW!  That has been in most TPV viewers for the last 10 years.

If the default viewer had 3 or 4 of the features I really like from FS, I would use it instead, but it doesn't...so.

If I had a pound for every time I've seen comments like those above, I'd be rich enough to.....never mind.  i've wondered many times why the default Linden Viewer is so user-unfriendly and yet is considered by some to be "less confusing" to potential new users.  What balderdash!  I hear innumerable comments about the poor UI, the lack of features and until recently the sheer poor performance of that application.

Why is it seemingly so clunky?  One opinion is simply that the developers of Second Life simply do not understand their potential clientelle or are so uninterested that they don't bother. 

Now I have seen much evidence that, as individuals at least, that is simply not so.  They DO care, indeed many are ex or even current SL residents.  The reason for the nature of the default SL viewer still eludes me.

10 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I gave up wondering why their viewer doesn't have some of the most basic and useful features that everyone uses.

Because LL hasn't asked me to port any of them in the 3 years since legacy profiles and copy-paste build tools?

The only one I can remember that was still pending is "edit at root", and that pull request got lost years ago when Bitbucket nuked all the hg repos. lol

Edited by Kadah Coba
Spelling

20 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Suggestion - try the latest Firestorm beta viewer, which is close to being the new Release.  It has the performance features of the present SL viewer, and all the useful features we all expect. 

I can't find beta releases on the Firestorm site. Didn't know they were an option, even though I have often used Linden betas. At least they have links to them. Perhaps FS likes to keep them to the development team, and people actively providing feedback, which I would understand.

EDIT: never mind - asked in the FS support group in-world and received a link.

Edited by Anicha Heartsong

15 hours ago, Aishagain said:

Why is it seemingly so clunky?  One opinion is simply that the developers of Second Life simply do not understand their potential clientelle or are so uninterested that they don't bother. 

Or, their priorities are the server code , sorting out bugs, and working on the new features like nasal hair and forehead wrinkles.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

working on the new features like nasal hair and forehead wrinkles

Face wrinkles did exist in SL (and still exist in OpenSim), as a ”visual parameter” (UI slider) of the legacy avatar head...  You may still use that slider in OpenSim with the Cool VL Viewer.

Server Side Baking (SSB) never implemented that visual parameter and therefore broke it in SL...

As an aging man, I suppose I could end up protesting to have it back ! 👴

On the other hand, my avatar does not age in SL. :P

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

That'll teach me to mix seriousness and frivolity in the same post, won't it :)

I actually think it is a good thing that LL don't rush to add TPV features left, right and centre. 

2 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Server Side Baking (SSB) never implemented that visual parameter and therefore broke it in SL...

And all those beautiful mesh bodies wouldn't be seen dead with a hint of a forehead furrow, so I guess that's why nobody asked them to f1xx0r it...

• Lindens
7 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Or, their priorities are the server code , sorting out bugs, and working on the new features like nasal hair and forehead wrinkles.

We ended up with forehead hair and nasal wrinkles so we're going to take another swing at it.  Check back in in '25.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 9/6/2022 at 12:20 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

Suggestion - try the latest Firestorm beta viewer, which is close to being the new Release.  It has the performance features of the present SL viewer, and all the useful features we all expect. 

I tried that Firestorm beta viewer and it most definitely does not have all the performance improvements of the latest SL viewer, which is must, must faster especially in busy, laggy environments.

27 minutes ago, Anicha Heartsong said:

I tried that Firestorm beta viewer and it most definitely does not have all the performance improvements of the latest SL viewer, which is must, must faster especially in busy, laggy environments.

Most people prefer features over performance. I tried the SL Viewer and it absolutely lacks in features that makes a second life much more easier to manage. 

23 minutes ago, TimKoul said:

Most people prefer features over performance. I tried the SL Viewer and it absolutely lacks in features that makes a second life much more easier to manage. 

Cool. Maybe I should try Firestorm sometime. Tried it once to try and suppress SPAM, otherwise meh. 

1 hour ago, Anicha Heartsong said:

Well Firestorm developers will have to comment on if the Beta FS has all the performance improvements of the default SL viewer.  But I found basically no difference between the FPS in busy clubs between the SL Viewer and Beta FS.  Both gave me about a 70% FPS improvement.  I used the same Graphics settings for both, which are my own custom settings, not the High, Ultra slider settings.  I always turn ALM  off in busy areas, VSync off, and DD at 80m.  Your results are going to depend on your system performance as well.  

I suspect both viewers will grind to under 20 fps with Ultra enabled with enough loaded avatars (>30) in camera view.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

comment on if the Beta FS has all the performance improvements of the default SL viewer

Current Firestorm Beta (6.6.3.67470) is fully synced up with Lab's 6.6.2 codebase. That includes the code from:

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.6.0.571939.html
https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.6.1.572458.html
https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.6.2.573358.html

And to answer the original question...

On 9/5/2022 at 12:48 PM, Anicha Heartsong said:

But to change the Wear to Add I need to know where to look, which file to edit.

No XML file change will help, as this is a viewer code functionality.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, panterapolnocy said:

Current Firestorm Beta (6.6.3.67470) is fully synced up with Lab's 6.6.2 codebase. That includes the code from:

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.6.0.571939.html
https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.6.1.572458.html
https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.6.2.573358.html

And to answer the original question...

No XML file change will help, as this is a viewer code functionality.

It's an awesome viewer, btw!

45 minutes ago, panterapolnocy said:

Current Firestorm Beta (6.6.3.67470) is fully synced up with Lab's 6.6.2 codebase.

Including that pesky  right-click-select-freeze bug?  That's LL's own creation and I guess their job to fix.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.