LL Has a New SL Web Site

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

44 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I have a few problems in life, but Internet speed is not one of them. :)
Still no clip,

Now why is retention rate so low? (Other thread discussion).
People want it fast and now on a website. Waiting time means departure time.

My page was done loading.. When everything is loaded  that little spinning thing in the tab stops spinning.. I'm still not getting a thing..

I remember it being like this when they changed it the last time too..

I seen the video from one of the links in here.. 

Honestly, I really liked the one they did with the Ricky Martin style music.. This one feels way too corporate.

If they updated the one that  they showed the people meeting in world and that one veteran giving them a hat or something and then  them growing and at the end a new player drops in  from the air and they hand him the hat..

That was their best one ever.. They should update but keep that theme.. That one  felt like an experience, This one feels much more clammy and cold, like they are advertising a game.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

I think this is certainly an improvement over what was there before!

I only had to wait a few seconds for the video to start playing. On the whole, it was pretty good, although there were a few clips I'd have skipped. The slow shot of the woman and the butterflies was gorgeous.

A few quick observations:

• Are there particular communities here that might be very popular incentives to join, and weren't featured very recognizably if at all? SciFi? Fantasy? Furries?
  • Is the whole video maybe too slow? It's almost as though it is simulating lag, in a few places. In others, the slowness is good, and seems contemplative.
  • How much of this is likely to scream uncanny valley to people not used to SL graphics?
  • This gives the impression of VR -- it's all first-person (mouse) view.
  • I can get SL looking REALLY lovely -- for photographs and things -- on a really old desktop. But that's in particular circumstances. There's no way that most people are going to be able to enjoy this kind of ultra graphics in places with more than a few people. It's not actually very representative of how SL looks to most of us, most of the time.
  • I did, generally, like the categories included below, but thought that the accompanying pics might have been more representative of these.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Fair point, Ceka.

I mean there is no excitement to it at all.. Go back through it and tell me it doesn't have a lathargic feel to it..

The girl at the start looks like she's falling asleep.. the dancing is like, lets stand in this one spot and bob some because dancing is hard .. The guy playing guitar looks like he's half sleep..  some guy in shades gives a stare, then some model walking down a runway and everyone sitting around there too..

It's boring as hell, especially with no sound..

Maybe if i heard it while it played it would be better, but for the most part, I would love to see something like the one they used to have.. it was exciting and more about what will really happen, than some  quick pic flashes of boring stuff like were in a snail version of a Jason borne fight.  hehehehe

ETA: Sorry if I'm coming off harsh.. It's just morning me.. Grumpy, but still honest.. hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I mean there is no excitement to it at all.. Go back through it and tell me it doesn't have a lathargic feel to it..

The girl at the start looks like she's falling asleep.. the dancing is like, lets stand in this one spot and bob some because dancing is hard .. The guy playing guitar looks like he's half sleep..  some guy in shades gives a stare, then some model walking down a runway and everyone sitting around there too..

It's boring as hell, especially with no sound..

Maybe if i heard it while it played it would be better, but for the most part, I would love to see something like the one they used to have.. it was exciting and more about what will really happen, than some  quick pic flashes of boring stuff like were in a snail version of a Jason borne fight.  hehehehe

ETA: Sorry if I'm coming off harsh.. It's just morning me.. Grumpy, but still honest.. hehehehe

Those floaty people look like they are having fun though.. and I love the worm like thing… 

2 minutes ago, LittleSparrow Skydancer said:

Those floaty people look like they are having fun though.. and I love the worm like thing… 

Ya those were a couple of action scenes , but for the most part it was YAWN..

I didn't hear any music , so that might help.. But it's gonna be quiet also if it's on the front page  also..

They just need to try and get people excited about the world.. They didn't used to have to use jacked up graphics that most won't be using or be able to reach..

It just felt like it left so much out, when it could have shown so much more while getting people excited rather than  feeling like it's a place to meditate.. hehehe

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

All I get is an error referring to " https://assets-global.website-files.com" and a bunch of gibberish after that. No images or video playing.

Could you post the error message, please? There seems to be something there which causes some browsers to reject the video, and the error message might get that fixed.

Personally, I’m not a fan of videos that loop.  I found it distracting while looking at the rest of the content on the page with the movement drawing my eye to it.  In the old days of webdesign you might have talked about the fight or flight syndrome.

Having said that it’s better than the “blue lady” that might have raised expectations  that that was what Avis looked like in SL.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

... No, they do not. They have a new video on the main site and a bit of a redesign/update of the site but the site itself is still secondlife.com.

... old fashioned and dated. And that fits perfectly with where SL stands as a platform in 2022.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya those were a couple of action scenes , but for the most part it was YAWN..

That's SL.

Could be worse. The home page for Facebook Horizon says "Not logged in. Please log into see this page", with no bypass. I wonder if they ever tested the case of a non-Facebook user.

I hope the puppeteeing thing works out. SL badly needs more liveness. Face and upper body tracking via webcam would liven up SL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, animats said:

That's SL.

Could be worse. The home page for Facebook Horizon says "Not logged in. Please log into see this page", with no bypass. I wonder if they ever tested the case of a non-Facebook user.

I hope the puppeteeing thing works out. SL badly needs more liveness. Face and upper body tracking via webcam would liven up SL.

That was a Yawned up version of SL.. Seriously, The boring zombie dances in that video and the dj sitting in the booth are like so 2007, if they are even mocap.

If they are looking for a newer generation, they should  at least use the newer animations that are all over the grid. Heck, I can name off 5 different places off the top of my head that would wake that video up just in the animations area alone and I haven't gone dancing in years.

That video was about trying to make it look like some  AAA nice graphics game, rather than what it really is.

Remember when even games used to have a balance between eye candy and good experience? That scale has been tipped to the eye candy side.

Just saying, they sure missed a lot and made it snooze instead of as exciting as it could have been.. I mean people aren't excited about SL because of how boring it is.. something grabs people.. They should maybe try to find that and show that off instead of instead of, Just breathe and close your eyes  and now exhale and feel all the bad leaving your body, ok now we're going to stretch our other toe.

😴😴😴😴

Honestly, it feels more like they are following instead of cutting a path. Maybe  it does deserve what happens to it then if this is the road we are on.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

I believe I was one of the first in the forums to grumble about the "totally not what you'd see in SL" splash page that was, right after the sale. I got grumbled at by quite a few (not everyone). As I recall, anyways. My memory gets brain fog. And the slicker the iterations got the grumpier I got.

So, like most are saying here, it is an improvement. I don't mind the janky animations, either, but I agree with what Ceka is saying (I think). It, too, seems "off." Cold? I don't know. I just thought something didn't seem right with this one either. At least this one was more authentic. I see where they were going with the various scenes. It reminded me a little of the "Ruby" anime, actually... but missed on that level too. (Not to mention you won't get anime in SL either, not in the walking around exploring part, not on any major level.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I believe I was one of the first in the forums to grumble about the "totally not what you'd see in SL" splash page that was, right after the sale. I got grumbled at by quite a few (not everyone). As I recall, anyways. My memory gets brain fog. And the slicker the iterations got the grumpier I got.

So, like most are saying here, it is an improvement. I don't mind the janky animations, either, but I agree with what Ceka is saying (I think). It, too, seems "off." Cold? I don't know. I just thought something didn't seem right with this one either. At least this one was more authentic. I see where they were going with the various scenes. It reminded me a little of the "Ruby" anime, actually... but missed on that level too. (Not to mention you won't get anime in SL either, not in the walking around exploring part, not on any major level.)

All it is doing is showing the polished end, where videos and things beforehand showed the path to getting there and what you could end up with..

this just looked like a flash scene with no explanation, where the others explained.  The first thing that came to mind after watching it was, It's all flash scenes like a Jason Borne fight.

Their other things used to at least grab you and take you along for a ride leaving you with a better idea of what's inside..

We might see SL in it, but a new users won't.  they already sold us on it, time to focus on them.

ETA: And ya the last one, I was right in there with you on  that one as well.. 

Edited by Ceka Cianci

Its definitely a improvement because it uses actual second life avatars not blue body painted humans that was just plain weird.

I think they didn't put anything about business on it to prevent new people running around expecting instant gratification on making a million dollars.

I guess its just not very exciting to put a tired but happy over worked underpaid store keeper working on blender in a skybox at 2am half asleep.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.