Let's not have a month-long Halloween

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

My only "request" for this years Halloween is that if the Lindens have another Bellisseria Trick-or-Treat hunt, they should organize it differently. Last year they asked residents to set out official pumpkins for people to find across hundreds of regions and awarded prizes for those finding the most. Of course, nobody can hunt across 100s of regions... consequently  people started distributing lists of landmarks to the punkins. This created what might be called an "unlevel playing field" and is contrary to what most people expect when participating in a hunt. At least if you found one punkin, you got a Skelly Bear at the end of the hunt.

skelly bear.jpg

Was that Skelly rabbit part of that hunt too? They both look amazing and must haves for me. :)

• Like 1

It's too much to type out so I'll just call it 'it'.

It's just another tedious time on the SL calendar where everything is black and/or orange and/or bloody - yawn.

It probably WILL last a month and we can now add another two months as someone's started talking about it already. Then it'll be straight onto that other one where everything is red or green, but at least that green is a better green than leprechaun green for potatoes, or whatever that's about.

Not sure which I dislike most. Probably that other time when everything has the confederate flag all over it, or stars and stripes or whatever it is. Then there's that thing with eggs and rabbits. I don't mind snowmen and candy canes though.

Such a waste of freebies and you can guarantee there'll be little of interest on 7DS, FLF, K69, SS, WW, HW, 35LS or SKS.

Not much of the year left after that lot's taken it's toll.

I hate themes. JayZUS.

p.s. shoulda posted this in the pet peeve thread.

What people do for fun, on their own sims, within the rules? Go for it. Gore? Fairies? Nothing! Zombies. Candycorn avis? Who the eff cares? Have fun.

If you have a public sim that you pay for... see above! The pearl-clutchers have other places to go, or not go. It is obnoxious for Armchair Morality Police to sit back and dictate for the rest of the grid, in some kind of misplaced, pseudo-intellectual, holier-than-thou stance on how it "should" be done. How it "should" be done really isn't hard to do... TP into a place you don't like? Leave. Are the owners following the rules? If so, vote with your feet and your wallet, both pro and con. Want to partake, in any rule-following way? Partake! Don't? Don't. It ain't rocket science and it doesn't take 40 pages to convey.

If someone wants to run around the grid in an avatar with a Jack-O-Lantern head for two months, with bats flying around them, go for it! :::makes mental note to find my black cat floating from orange balloons:::

I do understand & agree with why, as someone mentioned above, that places like Bellisaria (which I can never spell and I live there!) have rules.

I agree with the opinions that the commercialization in both worlds is nuts. Annoying. And once the trend starts in the stores, in order to compete store owners are in a way compelled to follow suit. "But mommmm, everyone is doing it" is a bit true there. And once you start doing it for Christmas, all the other holidays "have to" follow... Thanksgiving, Easter, St. Patrick's Day... ugh. So, agreeing whole-heartedly with those of you on that bandwagon.

Personally I would like to see 4-month long commercialization of the 10 High Holy Days of Rosh Hashanah through Yom Kippur! Spend four months on meditation, self-reflection and atonement to others! Think of all the really cute shofar decorations! :)

The one I really hate is the huge deal, including a Linden Shop and Hop, for Valentine's Day! That's not even a real holiday but just a marketing tool for a greeting card company! Bleck, bah and humbug. Rip the little cupids to shreds, zombies!

There are places in RL, towns in RL states, that are Christmas 365 days a year. It is their whole economy. I don't propose we wipe those off the map, just don't visit if you don't like it. Harder to avoid when it is in your face at the local Piggly Wiggly.

Edited by Seicher Rae
yeesh typing more than 2 words any more
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I forgot to mention the 2nd of November; All Souls' Day - the day which Christians commemorated all deceased people who were not Hallowed or Saints.

All Souls Day was traditionally the day after All Hallows' Day (1st November).  All Souls' Day was also a day for the poor to go knocking on people's doors to ask for charitable donor gifts of "Soul Cakes" (a kind of biscuity scone like cake) in exchange for prayers for deceased loved ones souls.

Undoubtably, this Soul Cakes thing has its origins from the earlier Scottish pagan Samhain tradition of 'Guising (from "disguising") oneself in a disguise, then asking for gifts of food in exchange for a trick or a small entertaining performance, while wearing disguises in order to blend in with stray pagan spirits.  Scots still call it 'Guising today.

Trick Or Treating in America began in the 1930s, during the economic crash and Great Depression of 1929-1939. Its origins are undoubtably from Scottish migrants in America, who brought and maintained their traditions of 'Guising , which became part of American Hallowe'en and became called Trick Or Treating.

In Ireland, there was also a pagan tradition of carving Jack O'Lanterns from turnips to ward off evil spirits during Samhain. Yes, turnips, not pumpkins, because pumpkins were not natively found in Ireland. Ironically Irish people who migranted to America's east coast could not easily find turnips there, so they continued their Jack O'Lantern tradition by carving the pumpkins they found instead. This then became a national tradition throughout the US at Hallowe'en.

So basically, the American version of "Hallowe'en" has stolen the Scottish and Irish traditions of Samhain, then used these in combination with the Christian Hallowe'en name, the day which precedes both All Hallows' Day and All Souls' Day.

Very true, yet it's managed to find its way from the US to Scandinavia  as a shopping spree and annoying children :) 

53 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

If all anyone wants to put in the weekend sales throughout September/October is Halloween stuff that's fine by me. I'll have more money to spare when Black Friday rolls around.

Yes! All the gory Halloween stuff helps me to avoid events and sales and save up funds for the end of November :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Mexico has a better attitude toward death. Coco is a good movie/VR experience demonstrating this.

The US is weird. Too commercial and garish. Not an acceptance of death at all, but quite the opposite.

I think that's more a case by case thing than a whole nation thing, when it comes to how people handle death.. I mean there is more than two religions in the country.. We have more religions than you can shake a stick at.. Probably more than any other country in the world.

As far as Halloween goes..From the sound of this thread you would think America will be orange and black by the time the holiday comes around..

Really,how many Americans even celebrate Halloween anymore?

I think there might be two blocks in our town that even bothers with it anymore.  It was slowing down when i was little.. hehehe

It's just the commercial end of it now.. It's been like three maybe even four years since I even seen a trick or treater lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:
18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Mexico has a better attitude toward death. Coco is a good movie/VR experience demonstrating this.

The US is weird. Too commercial and garish. Not an acceptance of death at all, but quite the opposite.

I think that's more a case by case thing than a whole nation thing, when it comes to how people handle death.. I mean there is more than two religions in the country.. We have more religions than you can shake a stick at.. Probably more than any other country in the world.

Well, I beg to differ regarding the differences between countries regarding the fear of death.  Not sure I want to delve into it deeply though. I've got enough to do dealing with this new The Way Of The Psychonaut book. Maybe a discussion for another time..

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well, I beg to differ regarding the differences between countries regarding the fear of death.  Not sure I want to delve into it deeply though. I've got enough to do dealing with this new The Way Of The Psychonaut book. Maybe a discussion for another time..

I'm just saying, 350 million in one country compared to the smaller ones.. You may not want to clump that many people into one basket. Especially with the range of diversity it has from everywhere around the world.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:
13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm just saying, 350 million in one country compared to the smaller ones.. You may not want to clump that many people into one basket. Especially with the range of diversity it has from everywhere around the world.

Yes for sure, not everyone. But when I make such a comparison usually I just mean 'on average' or 'generally'.

The West (on average), compared to Aboriginal peoples, are notorious for not handling death as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Yes for sure, not everyone. But when I make such a comparison usually I just mean 'on average' or 'generally'.

The West (on average), compared to Aboriginal peoples, are notorious for not handling death as well. 

I can agree with that.. hehehe

But don't forget about how many people there are sayin, HOLD MAH BEER!!

lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I forgot to mention the 2nd of November; All Souls' Day - the day which Christians commemorated all deceased people who were not Hallowed or Saints.

All Souls Day was traditionally the day after All Hallows' Day (1st November).  All Souls' Day was also a day for the poor to go knocking on people's doors to ask for charitable donor gifts of "Soul Cakes" (a kind of biscuity scone like cake) in exchange for prayers for deceased loved ones souls.

Undoubtably, this Soul Cakes thing has its origins from the earlier Scottish pagan Samhain tradition of 'Guising (from "disguising") oneself in a disguise, then asking for gifts of food in exchange for a trick or a small entertaining performance, while wearing disguises in order to blend in with stray pagan spirits.  Scots still call it 'Guising today.

Trick Or Treating in America began in the 1930s, during the economic crash and Great Depression of 1929-1939. Its origins are undoubtably from Scottish migrants in America, who brought and maintained their traditions of 'Guising , which became part of American Hallowe'en and became called Trick Or Treating.

In Ireland, there was also a pagan tradition of carving Jack O'Lanterns from turnips to ward off evil spirits during Samhain. Yes, turnips, not pumpkins, because pumpkins were not natively found in Ireland. Ironically Irish people who migranted to America's east coast could not easily find turnips there, so they continued their Jack O'Lantern tradition by carving the pumpkins they found instead. This then became a national tradition throughout the US at Hallowe'en.

So basically, the American version of "Hallowe'en" has stolen the Scottish and Irish traditions of Samhain, then used these in combination with the Christian Hallowe'en name, the day which precedes both All Hallows' Day and All Souls' Day.

Most or all (probably a TL;DR) the "Christian" holidays became a mixture of the pagan with the Christianity.  

The soul cakes I found interesting in your post, so I went to read the Wiki and that is really a TL;DR Wiki, so I just skimmed over it.

What I found interesting was the Christian part of it many, many, many centuries ago involved not eating meat, so I'd assume that's how the soul cakes (cakes) became a tradition of sweets on Halloween.  One thing about sweets for me though if I eat too much sugar it makes me sick for hours.  It's difficult going to Halloween parties and not eating all the sweets that people put out.  But, if I do...I'll be sick.

So, All Saint's Day, All Soul's Day may have been a type of fasting day from meat and people ate soul cakes which was a cake like a sweet.  Today's stuff is loaded with sugar though.

As far as SL Halloween, I agree with those who feel that SL is kind of like Halloween every day.  I play costumes here a lot.   Though the traditional Halloween stuff in SL, like for example, a black dress with orange pumpkins on it is not appealing to me.  I want Halloween to strike my imagination but I also don't like gorey or bloody.   I've also made stuff for SL Halloween's and oh the lag we can encounter with the scripts.  Halloween SL takes a lot longer to make and decorating in SL whether for Fall Harvest or Halloween takes a long time too, especially if you own a whole sim.   So, some people are starting now, it's almost September.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

[snip]

It's not stealing a tradition when one adapts what one's family did in the Old Country.

• Like 2

I haven't decorated for Halloween in years - RL or SL. In RL it's an excuse to buy a bag of candy that I'll end up eating. 

I hate the gore décor too - RL or SL. I like the idea of costumes, candy & spooky decorations though. Lately I prefer Dia de los Muertos décor. This holiday is closer to the neo-pagan concept of Samhain anyway. (It's pronounced sow-wan btw.)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I haven't decorated for Halloween in years - RL or SL. In RL it's an excuse to buy a bag of candy that I'll end up eating. 

I hate the gore décor too - RL or SL. I like the idea of costumes, candy & spooky decorations though. Lately I prefer Dia de los Muertos décor. This holiday is closer to the neo-pagan concept of Samhain anyway. (It's pronounced sow-wan btw.)

My kids don't even like candy.. I had them on fruit early on and  just stressed to teachers and other parents , no candy or junk food for my boys..

They can have all the fruit and veggies they can grab at any time..  My little one got mad at me for letting him taste candy one time.. it was too sweet and he started to rub his tongue and said, Mommy why you give me dat! then kept rubbing his tongue.. lol

It was so cute..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

I hope LL are stricter on the more gruesome aspects of Halloween this year.  I've been to clubs with long lists of rules like 'no nudity, no bad language, no this, that or the other' only to be faced with rotting corpses hanging from the ceiling. Not nice at all.

Is it time for me once again to suggest that LL institute a new "rating" of some sort for extreme violence?

Yes. Yes, I think it is. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.