Discrimination rules to be added to TOS?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 hours ago, WinnieTheWerewolfPup said:

This has been bugging me for quite some time. I have been playing secondlife for over 3 years now and it boggles my mind that there is rampant discrimination of people simply because of their choice of avatar. People flip their lids if a certain type of avatar shows up and immediately ban said person from events, public sims, and public stores even though the person did nothing wrong other than choosing an avatar that other people dont like.  We all have our opinions but this is starting to get ridiculous that certain avatars cant go practically anywhere because people are "scared of them" or just simply dont like them. that is not how this place is supposed to be. secondlife is supposed to be a fun, nice place to be yet its hostile and discriminatory. ive been waiting for 3 years now and all Linden Labs has done is ban gatchas. because THAT of all things was the biggest problem. So I am asking Linden Labs. when do you all plan to do something about all this racism, discrimination, and intolerance running rampant across SL? Even when we report people that very clearly violate TOS you do nothing. Do you plan on doing anything about this? or are we just going to have to suffer and avoid expressing ourselfs for who we want to be in order to participate in the game? does anyone else agree? Its been getting worse and worse and Linden Labs wont lift a single finger about it. 

You want a parcel that allows anyone, pay for it yourself.

As long as I'm paying for mine, the "No Dudes- bouncy women that think I'm amazing only" rule stays, no matter how empty the place may be!

• Haha 9

Just now, Paul Hexem said:

As long as I'm paying for mine, the "No Dudes- bouncy women that think I'm amazing only" rule stays, no matter how empty the place may be!

How odd that I've never been invited to visit!

/me bounces

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Dang, I only jiggle, no bounce.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

There's only one sim that doesn't allow my day-to-day manifestation to visit that I actually make an exception for, and am willing to wear an adult, on-theme and properly costumed avatar for, and it's also the only A-rated sim I visit. The owner bought and pays for the land and specifically chose A-rated land, and specifically does not wish for children to be present on said land, and I respect it because she's paying for it and it hosts something that's a majorly important thing to me because of shared fandom.

I cheerfully and willingly dress up as a tall Federation science officer (or sometimes an alien) to visit the Retro Trek sim. It's not a sex sim, there aren't naked Orion slave girls running around everywhere, it's just Trek RP and awesome builds, but it's on adult land, so I make concessions.

Any place else, if they wouldn't like my usual me, I wouldn't want to visit their sim and meet them anyway, so I just stay in my bubble of places I like that like me back.

Star Trek though, it would be hard to keep me away with some silly thing like sim-specific avatar-based intolerance.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 5

Discrimination is not always ab

19 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

To be honest I didn't read your whole rant but discrimination was in the TOS when I "signed" it fourteen years ago and as far as I know it is still there. Have you actually READ the TOS. What is in there and what happens inworld and gets enforced can be two different things. 

And as an aside, I had a "black" alt more than a decade ago and she got tons of compliments on her looks. So it isn't always one way. 

I am not so sure this is about being black. Or against black people. As I read it appears to be a general racism statement. My jewish friend is discriminated in RL more than myself and I am Black. Still all wrong. Thanks

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I think we have been trolled...

Yup. I think the OP has a series of "friends" with no forum picture and only 1 to a few posts each. They look for a hot topic on the forum, try to stir us up over it, then sit back to watch the show as we bicker over it.

There are also some people who play a different race in SL to what they are in RL, apparently seeing it as being no different than playing a furry or a vampire in SL.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I think we have been trolled...

Yebbit, if most of the posts are kind of sideways to the OP, and if there is a decent discussion (although I'm not willing to come up with a working definition of "decent discussion") going on, in earnest, does it really matter if we were orginally trolled?

This is sounding kind of zen: If a troll posts happens in the Forum and people respond sincerely, is it a troll post?

Ohm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, blakkee said:

Discrimination is not always ab

I am not so sure this is about being black. Or against black people. As I read it appears to be a general racism statement. My jewish friend is discriminated in RL more than myself and I am Black. Still all wrong. Thanks

Prejudice comes in all shapes and sizes, colors and creeds.  My personal friends group is very eclectic. I think that makes life much more interesting

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 2

If nobody responds like a hysterical stupid person, we all win either way.

I figure it's all just another opportunity for everyone else here to show how awesome they are by not acting like jerks when people bring up topics that no actual SL user who's been inworld more than a month should still be dealing with, if they've explored more than Social Island.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

How odd that I've never been invited to visit!

/me bounces

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Dang, I only jiggle, no bounce.

If you can find my log cabin, you're welcome to visit!

29 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Pretty sure that's one of the weirdest responses I've gotten in the Forum. Content/poster etc. And oldies can verify that's a pretty good statement coming from me. :)

That's the tamest "girl bounce" gif I could find :)

kiwi-girl-exercise-nz-girl.gif

There's nothing weird about it, and I for one think it should be encouraged.

• Haha 3

@Paul Hexem Noted. Scylla extolling her bounciness to me, to the point where she pouts if I don't recognize her ability is what passes for normal around here now. (Scylla being all pouty is also an interesting thing, on its own.) It is a brave new world.

Perhaps you should start a bouncey thread in the photos section, for SL action gifs, with physics turned up waaaaay high? Scylla takes great photos so she's a shoe-in.

yup yup... everything normal here...

Anyone ever sit and ponder that Scylla and Seicher share the same initials? And now Scylla is talking all bouncey bounce bounce and that sounds more like a Seicher thing and... oh...emm... geee

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, WinnieTheWerewolfPup said:

This has been bugging me for quite some time. I have been playing secondlife for over 3 years now and it boggles my mind that there is rampant discrimination of people simply because of their choice of avatar. People flip their lids if a certain type of avatar shows up and immediately ban said person from events, public sims, and public stores even though the person did nothing wrong other than choosing an avatar that other people dont like.  We all have our opinions but this is starting to get ridiculous that certain avatars cant go practically anywhere because people are "scared of them" or just simply dont like them. that is not how this place is supposed to be. secondlife is supposed to be a fun, nice place to be yet its hostile and discriminatory. ive been waiting for 3 years now and all Linden Labs has done is ban gatchas. because THAT of all things was the biggest problem. So I am asking Linden Labs. when do you all plan to do something about all this racism, discrimination, and intolerance running rampant across SL? Even when we report people that very clearly violate TOS you do nothing. Do you plan on doing anything about this? or are we just going to have to suffer and avoid expressing ourselfs for who we want to be in order to participate in the game? does anyone else agree? Its been getting worse and worse and Linden Labs wont lift a single finger about it. 

We aren't Linden Labs. They won't reply to you here.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Sounds to me like you're losing your grip on sanity. 

I'd be happy to take responsibility for it if so.

Not sure who started the nasty rumor claiming that I have ANY grip on sanity. I wish they would stop it. it's making my life difficult.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean yes it does irritate me, that this happens. However, I would not want LL to have total control over who I can or cannot let on my land. That being said, it's pixels. People have a right to choose who can or cannot go on their land. Now if you were seeing things like someone saying no blacks, whites, homosexuals, transgenders, etc etc. Actual RL stuff that is out of our control. Then I would report it for discrimination. 

• Like 3

Also last time I checked there is something on the TOS about discrimination. 

Intolerance

Linden Lab encourages social interactions between users across multiple countries. The use of derogatory or demeaning language or images based on race, ethnicity, gender, religion or sexual orientation is prohibited. Actions that marginalize, belittle, or defame users or groups are similarly prohibited.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

A friend of mine has remarkably similar land rules...and he also lives in a log cabin. I'd say that qualifies you as a distinct community 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Yebbit, if most of the posts are kind of sideways to the OP, and if there is a decent discussion (although I'm not willing to come up with a working definition of "decent discussion") going on, in earnest, does it really matter if we were orginally trolled?

This is sounding kind of zen: If a troll posts happens in the Forum and people respond sincerely, is it a troll post?

Ohm.

There are times when people need to be trolled to get them thinking. When moderating for another game the decision of whether to remove a troll-post was whether it brought up controversy on the game or a non-game subject. The game related ones were kept.

The distinction between an earnest post and a troll's-trigger-post is often indiscernible. So the moderator's decision wasn't ever really about whether the post was trolling bait but by who and what was the post subject was.

In SL posting about race is pretty much a post about an SL thing. Which gets complicated. Is a white playing as a black exploitative or educational? I think it depends on the player and I believe no two cases would be the same. There is that "personal perception" thing to make it even more complicated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There are times when people need to be trolled to get them thinking. When moderating for another game the decision of whether to remove a troll-post was whether it brought up controversy on the game or a non-game subject. The game related ones were kept.

I like where this is going!

Also, probably a good idea to "think". Before replying.

The recent thread about "Southern Plantations" should have been obvious to a lot more of us as a "yawn, ho-hum, nothing to see here, move along!" But instead "so trigggerr!!1!".

Maybe if we stick around, we will learn sumpin'. 

To quote the Riddler in Batman Forever, "Now now, if we kill him, he won't learn nothing!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.