So the forum changes?

bigmoe Whitfield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Obligatory: Can I have your stuff?

What stuff does Sid have here on this forum?  He didn't say he was quitting SL, and if he was, you still can't have his stuff because sharing passwords is against the rules...

Not in a funny mood at all this morning, and jokes must be restricted to the grandfathered joke thread now.  No more jokes or cats in new threads.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

What stuff does Sid have here on this forum?  He didn't say he was quitting, and if he was, you still can't have his stuff because sharing passwords is against the rules...

Not in a funny mood at all this morning, and jokes must be restricted to the grandfathered joke thread now.  No more jokes or cats in new threads.

How about their internet points? Kids are crazy about those these days and I wanna be cool too.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

What stuff does Sid have here on this forum?  He didn't say he was quitting SL, and if he was, you still can't have his stuff because sharing passwords is against the rules...

Jokes and Peeves are both allowed as long as they're SL related.

I think we still have plenty to be peeved about that's SL related.

Jokes sometimes help us deal with our emotions.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Jokes and Peeves are both allowed as long as they're SL related.

I think we still have plenty to be peeved about that's SL related.

Jokes sometimes help us deal with our emotions.

Just to clarify....no new threads can be about RL matters.

But...since the Peeves and a joke thread were threads allowed to continue even though having RL stuff in them, in those specific threads can we still post RL peeves and jokes?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

But...since the Peeves and a joke thread were threads allowed to continue even though having RL stuff in them, in those specific threads can we still post RL peeves and jokes?

Grandfathered threads will remain, but are subject to closure if "policy violations" occur.  If the new rules restricting subject matter to only SL apply, then I would think the old threads must also follow the new policies after July 28, 2022, or be subject to being locked and closed.  It's up to a moderator to decide if a RL cute kitten (or tiger) photo violates policy...  The wording in the new policies doesn't exactly answer your question, it seems to me.   

Maybe in the cat thread, only RL photos and RL cartoon pictures will be removed from the thread.  In that case I have about 500 cute SL unique Kittycats! snapshots I have taken in SL over the last 10 years that I can post, to make up for the lack of RL kittens and cats. Or would that be spamming?

Relevant snips:

No Discussions Not Directly Related to Second Life: Please keep all threads relevant and directly related to Second Life and Linden Lab. Anything unrelated to Second Life is subject to moderation. This includes, but is not limited to, politics, social issues, current events, and Non-SL discussion posts (Examples such as tell me a joke, make me laugh, etc). If the thread could exist on a non-Second Life Forum, that is probably a good sign it doesn’t belong here.

Note: Posts made before 7/29/2022 will be left open unless policy violations cause them to be closed.

Not Allowed:
In addition to adhering to the Community Standards, please refrain from posting content discussing inflammatory content (Politics, Social Justice issues and Interpersonal disputes), Anything that doesn’t relate directly to Second Life/Linden Lab, Generic posts (like “Post a random animal picture!” versus an acceptable “Post your Second Life pets!”), etc. These are just guidelines, so please use your best judgment when posting if it is not explicitly stated here! 

end of quoted snips

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

The wording in the new policies doesn't exactly answer your question, it seems to me.

Yes, and so I can only go by what I see happening. There are some threads not related to SL that have been allowed to continue as long as they don't violate rules such as sticking to the topic of the thread (and more I'm sure). Still confused about the Peeve and Humor threads though, but I haven't really examined those much to get a sense of what's being allowed.

• Like 1

I received my first ping, and I suppose deserved it for contributing off topic to a thread regarding something that had nothing to do with the topic being discussed 😜  I noticed several posts that followed the original diversion of the thread were also pruned, and us variants were dealt with. It should be easy enough to follow the rules, we just have to keep within topic of the grandfathered threads, and the remaining threads stay relatively within topic and keep it specific to SL - most important of all avoid any controversy.  Okay.. I admit, remaining on topic is going to be a difficult one for me, I enjoy the free flow of thought and evolution of conversation with people I feel comfortable being around and have something I can relate to (in this case SL) on a medium I feel safe on - but unfortunately I understand the reasoning behind it as often is the case with such conversation it can lead to heated arguments.  See, even now I am slowly wandering off thread.. it is a habit of mine.

So my understanding of it is:
1. Stay on topic of the OP, do not fray from it.

2. Make it SL related it unless posting in a grandfathered thread. 

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I received my first ping, and I suppose deserved it for contributing off topic to a thread regarding something that had nothing to do with the topic being discussed 😜  I noticed several posts that followed the original diversion of the thread were also pruned, and us variants were dealt with. It should be easy enough to follow the rules, we just have to keep within topic of the grandfathered threads, and the remaining threads stay relatively within topic and keep it specific to SL - most important of all avoid any controversy.  Okay.. I admit, remaining on topic is going to be a difficult one for me, I enjoy the free flow of thought and evolution of conversation with people I feel comfortable being around and have something I can relate to (in this case SL) on a medium I feel safe on - but unfortunately I understand the reasoning behind it as often is the case with such conversation it can lead to heated arguments.  See, even now I am slowly wandering off thread.. it is a habit of mine.

This can be a "good thing". 

If you get a message about being "pinged", you can reply back with "Maybe next time I should.." and see if you get any feedback!

You never know, if they reply, it could be really useful to your knowledge of how to use the Forum next time the same situation comes up.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:
1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

I received my first ping

Me too ☹️

It makes me unsure what to reply to, to be honest. 

If it helps, y'all are making me feel better about myself.  I am not immune to teh pangs.

(" Next time someone says 'Ping', immediately shout 'PONG' "!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This can be a "good thing". 

If you get a message about being "pinged", you can reply back with "Maybe next time I should.." and see if you get any feedback!

You never know, if they reply, it could be really useful to your knowledge of how to use the Forum next time the same situation comes up.

I've had one post made private without an explanation as to why. I wasn't saying anything controversial, so I assume it was hidden by some AI algorithm because of a particular word in it. I was upset that I wasn't allowed to post something that I thought should have been allowed, so I removed the post.

I had some posts that were made before the rule change removed for being off topic. Several of us were discussing colonization, history and horses. All those posts were removed.

The impression I get is that the Moles don't want to have to explain their reasoning every time they remove a post. They have probably pretty much the same guidelines that we've been given - with just as much room for interpretation - and they have their own discretion to decide what gets removed and what doesn't. Having everyone question their discretion would make their job much harder, so I don't think it would be helpful for them to have us ask why our posts were removed.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "ping" btw. Do you mean a removal with a little warning note to abide by the rules?

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm not sure what you mean by a "ping" btw. Do you mean a removal with a little warning note to abide by the rules?

I can only assume what others mean by "ping". (It is a nice stand-in word, since discussing "moderation" explicitly is not allowed.) 

Let's see..who was I quoting?  @Istelathisused "ping" first from what I can tell, I just made assumptions about what was meant.

But, yes. I wouldn't call it a "ping" if your posts were removed and you got no "note". That's just me, personally.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Yes 👍 And it sounds like we all got it from the same thread...

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

and if 2 is followed, also 1 counts, don't go off topic in those old open threads ...

very simple.. keep both and you, i, we, won't get pinged.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:
2 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I received my first ping

Me too ☹️

It makes me unsure what to reply to, to be honest.

That thread had devolved into a horses bleep of a thread! Even I despaired of it getting back on topic and so posted a gif of Meta horses without legs. See how I tried to bring it back on topic in a very weird way?    :)

I can't blame you for going off-topic when you were just responding to numerous recent comments about horses. I mean it can be a bit much to approach a long thread and study it extensively before posting as if you're researching for your dissertation.

Maybe just peek at the title to assess whether you might be off-topic in the future, as we can't depend on the wayward, derailing forumites for guidance lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

That thread had devolved into a horses bleep of a thread! Even I despaired of it getting back on topic and so posted a gif of Meta horses without legs. See how I tried to bring it back on topic in a very weird way?    :)

I can't blame you for going off-topic when you were just responding to numerous recent comments about horses. I mean it can be a bit much to approach a long thread and study it extensively before posting as if you're researching for your dissertation.

Maybe just peek at the title to assess whether you might be off-topic in the future, as we can't depend on the wayward, derailing forumites for guidance lol

The horses got me my 1st ding as well but totally worth it.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.