To all the people born in the 90s

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unfortunately I foresee a major culling of the Earth's population in the near future (20 years maybe?)as we run out of accessible oil needed to feed the billions who currently inhabit the planet.
Likely it would be those from previous decades who would survive further into this century, as some of those a bit older are more likely wealthy and so can insulate themselves (to a degree) from the coming disaster.

But enjoy the beauty of life while you can, is my motto. Nobody ever said we'd get out of it alive anyway, so they say. 

I scraped into existence at the last possible year of the 90's.

I'm taking the older 90's kids out in the final duel to be the last person from that era.

Consider this a warning and a promise.

Edited by cariboustag
Tried to make this post funny rather than lamenting the climate crisis.
  • Haha 2

Not many people realise (or care) that the first year of a decade is always a year that ends with a 1 at the end of the year date, not a 0.

This means that 1st January 1991 was the first day of the 90s and 31st December 2000 was it's last day.

If you were born in 2000, you were actually a 90s baby! And if you were born in 1990, you're actually an 80s baby! Such are the oddities of a base 10 numerical system!

Why? How?  Because the calendars we've used had no "year zero" between 1 BC and 1 AD.  The Romans had no numeral for zero either, so no such "year zero" ever happened. This also means that the 21st Century did not begin in 2000, but on 1st January 2001.  It will end on 31st December 2100, not 2099.

And no, the Third Millennium didn't begin in 2000 either, that was 2001! Sci-fi novelist and futurist Arthur C. Clarke knew this too, which is why his sci-fi classic was called "2001: A Space Odyssey".

When humans verbally count forwards from the lowest number, they normally start at 1, not at 0.  And which of your fingers do you call your 0 finger?! 😜

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

And to add to that...

In fact, looking at other calendar systems, it becomes clear how ambiguous year numbers are. For example, year 2001 marked the beginning of the 3rd millennium in the Gregorian calendar only. Other calendars, such as the Jewish calendar, the Islamic calendar, and the Hindu calendar, use completely different year numbers. So, while the Gregorian calendar is the system officially used around the world, this goes to show that our year count is nothing more than a random fabrication, which is ultimately based on the ideas and religious fervor of a 6th-century monk.

What's more, Dionysius Exiguus based the beginning of year BCE 1 in the Julian calendar, the predecessor of today's calendar system, on a religious event—the birth of Jesus—which not only lacks astronomical relevance but is also based on religious lore and, as such, a rough estimation at best.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Not many people realise (or care) that the first year of a decade is always a year that ends with a 1 at the end of the year date,, not a 0.

This means that 1st January 1991 was the first day of the 90s and 31st December 2000 was it's last day.

If you were born in 2000, you were actually a 90s baby! And if you were born in 1990, you're actually an 80s baby! Such are the oddities of a base 10 numerical system!

Why? How?  Because the calendars we've used had no "year zero" between 1 BC and 1 AD.  The Romans had no numeral for zero either, so no such "year zero" ever happened. This also means that the 21st Century began not in 2000, but on 1st January 2001.  It will end on 31 December 2100, not 2099.

And no, the Third Millennium didn't begin in 2000 either, that was 2001! Sci-fi novelist and futurist Arthur C. Clarke knew this too, which is why his sci-fi classic was called "2001: A Space Odyssey".

When humans verbally count forwards from the lowest number, they normally start at 1, not at 0.  And which of your fingers do you call your 0 finger?! 😜

I remember when we rolled over to 2000 and many thought the new millennium started then. You hit the nail on the head! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Unfortunately I foresee a major culling of the Earth's population in the near future (20 years maybe?)as we run out of accessible oil needed to feed the billions who currently inhabit the planet.
Likely it would be those from previous decades who would survive further into this century, as some of those a bit older are more likely wealthy and so can insulate themselves (to a degree) from the coming disaster.

But enjoy the beauty of life while you can, is my motto. Nobody ever said we'd get out of it alive anyway, so they say. 

If its anyone who survives that situation you describe it will be people who live in rural areas with more immediate access to food civilization started with the plough and it will end with it as well  the further you are from a farm the deeper your into a Technological trap.  and most modern farmers would not make it unless they are amish

Edited by Vanessa Amethyst
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

If its anyone who survives that situation you describe it will be people who live in rural areas with more immediate access to food civilization started with the plough and it will end with it as well  the further you are from a farm the deeper your into a Technological trap.  and most modern farmers would not make it unless they are amish

Good point. Technology does have us in a trap doesn't it. It's not our tool anymore, it's our master.

I can only imagine city folks trying to be farmers again. I'd laugh at the thought if I didn't realize the tragedy of it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

I can only imagine city folks trying to be farmers again. I'd laugh at the thought if I didn't realize the tragedy of it.

beyond farming people with a useful skill and are capable with hand tools that can make things used to trade for food would do fine once agin this is a more "country" thing

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Good point. Technology does have us in a trap doesn't it. It's not our tool anymore, it's our master.

This is one reason why it's nice to have camping and historical recreation skills.

medieval-cooking-by-Hans-Splinter.jpg.5ce627f3efa95e1ec27e9e10d488f006.jpg Recipes here and here.

It might also be good to know how to make a solar oven.

diy_solar_cooker_8lhvl.jpg.a6dfd3909d2a98b48deec83039db4c88.jpg DIY Solar Oven instructions

• Like 1

I'd say the best investment someone could make, if they ever had to leave everything behind and head for the hills is.. Make sure you have a good knife and stone..

Then make sure out of everything you have,  it's the one thing you don't leave behind.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

This is one reason why it's nice to have camping and historical recreation skills.

medieval-cooking-by-Hans-Splinter.jpg.5ce627f3efa95e1ec27e9e10d488f006.jpg

I had found a nice "historical, no talking, primitive house" cooking channel on YouTube, but they started veering into dressing/undressing etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'd say the best investment someone could make, if they ever had to leave everything behind and head for the hills is.. Make sure you have a good knife and stone..

Then make sure out of everything you have,  it's the one thing you don't leave behind.

Learn flintknapping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

not just a good knife or two, an Axe and and at least 3 sources of fire the best two are a magnifying lens and Ferrel rod learning to use a bow drill or a fire shuttle should be your third

and those old time resapies wont be doing you much good in the wood learn to hunt, and dress game and what plants in your area are safe to eat. or at minimum the Universal Edibility Test https://www.backpacker.com/skills/universal-edibility-test/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

not just a good knife or two, an Axe and and at least 3 sources of fire the best two are a magnifying lens and Ferrel rod learning to use a bow drill or a fire shuttle should be your third

and those old time resapies wont be doing you much good in the wood learn to hunt, and dress game and what plants in your area are safe to eat. or at minimum the Universal Edibility Test https://www.backpacker.com/skills/universal-edibility-test/

If you have time and can get all those things together, even better.

That was more, if you have to remember one thing, make sure it's your knife and stone.. The rest can be figured out..

When it comes to eating and someone doesn't know what's safe, eat what you know until ya know better.. hehehehe

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If you have time and can get all those things together, even better.

That was more, if you have to remember one thing, make sure it's your knife and stone.. The rest can be figured out..

When it comes to eating and someone doesn't know what's safe, eat what you know until ya know better.. hehehehe

You can watch to see what other animals eat, but it's better to learn what's edible in your region. If there are many people trying to live off the land though, what is out there will likely be picked over pretty fast. A good supply of dry and canned goods would likely be necessary too.

Or as my housemate says, we can always eat other people.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Babycakes by Neil Gaiman YouTube video removed so this post doesn't get deleted.
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

You can watch to see what other animals eat, but it's better to learn what's edible in your region. If there are many people trying to live off the land though, what is out there will likely be picked over pretty fast. A good supply of dry and canned goods would likely be necessary too.

Or as my housemate says, we can always eat other people.

Either way, we'll keep asking when someone was born.. Because us 80's kids, we aren't losing so easy!!\o/

hehehe

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

You can watch to see what other animals eat

that is not necessarily true the fact is all plants are toxic just some have toxins we can handle where some animals can't. prime example we can eat chocolate where many other animals like dogs can't. or if you were stranded in Australia and followed the example of a Koala and ate eucalyptus you wold suffer from Phloroglucinol poisoning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

that is not necessarily true the fact is all plants are toxic just some have toxins we can handle where some animals can't. prime example we can eat chocolate where many other animals like dogs can't. or if you were stranded in Australia and followed the example of a Koala and ate eucalyptus you wold suffer from Phloroglucinol poisoning.

..., but it's bettter to learn what's edible in your region.

Plants that taste bitter aren't usually edible for us, but there are exceptions. Plants and animals that are brightly colored may be toxic, but there are exceptions. Plants might look, smell and taste edible, but might actually be toxic. One needs to be able to identify for sure which are which. For example - can you tell the difference between wild fennel vs. wild parsnip vs. Queen Anne's Lace vs. hemlock? They all look and smell similar, but while some of those plants are edible, the wild hemlock is deadly. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

..., but it's bettter to learn what's edible in your region.

Plants that taste bitter aren't usually edible for us, but there are exceptions. Plants and animals that are brightly colored may be toxic, but there are exceptions. Plants might look, smell and taste edible, but might actually be toxic. One needs to be able to identify for sure which are which. For example - can you tell the difference between wild fennel vs. wild parsnip vs. Queen Anne's Lace vs. hemlock? They all look and smell similar, but while some of those plants are edible, the wild hemlock is deadly. 

Should point out though that some of the edible bitter ones can be very medicinal when done in the right way.

https://www.healthyhildegard.com/18-bitter-healing-plants/

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Should point out though that some of the edible bitter ones can be very medicinal when done in the right way.

https://www.healthyhildegard.com/18-bitter-healing-plants/

Indeed, plants synthesise secondary metabolites, used for protection, communication etc.
Some compounds are medicinal and some are pure poison (pyrrozydine alkaloids, furanocoumarins for example) but animals can smell and recognise their complexity and use them to their advantage.
You will see animals (even dogs and cats) respond with the Flehmen’s response while trying to gather and recognise the molecules in a certain medicinal plant. This is the basis of animal self selection, the ability animals (birds and reptiles as well) have to select plants and minerals that can help with an illness or issue they are experiencing. At times animals take very small amounts of poisons to resolve a problem, such as parasites. It was observed that a wild mare was eating tiny amounts of foxglove (Digitalis) which is extremely poisonous but is also used as a medicine to treat irregular heartbeat. We were trying to understand why she was eating that and once we managed to get close to her and give her a check up, we found that she had indeed an arrhythmia due to a myocarditis. The digitalis she sought out was perfect in her case 🐴

Bitterness is usually due to alkaloids (think tea and coffee but also codeine, scopolamine, atropine). You can even smell bitter compounds! 😅

I am pretty sure humans had this ability as well as primates do, but as we lost the need to innately recognise what can help and what can kill us by sniffing, we also lost this innate skill and instead relied on telling each other that “ol’Joe died when he ate that stuff” 😅 (I’m kidding here sort of) 😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

You will see animals (even dogs and cats) respond with the Flehmen’s response while trying to gather and recognise the molecules in a certain medicinal plant. This is the basis of animal self selection, the ability animals (birds and reptiles as well) have to select plants and minerals that can help with an illness or issue they are experiencing. At times animals take very small amounts of poisons to resolve a problem, such as parasites. It was observed that a wild mare was eating tiny amounts of foxglove (Digitalis) which is extremely poisonous but is also used as a medicine to treat irregular heartbeat. We were trying to understand why she was eating that and once we managed to get close to her and give her a check up, we found that she had indeed an arrhythmia due to a myocarditis. The digitalis she sought out was perfect in her case 🐴

Bitterness is usually due to alkaloids (think tea and coffee but also codeine, scopolamine, atropine). You can even smell bitter compounds! 😅

I am pretty sure humans had this ability as well as primates do, but as we lost the need to innately recognise what can help and what can kill us by sniffing, we also lost this innate skill and instead relied on telling each other that “ol’Joe died when he ate that stuff” 😅 (I’m kidding here sort of) 😀

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have helped me to connect some dots that have had me wondering for decades. You are in effect validating the ability of various animals and by extension humans, of innately self diagnosing illnesses and medical issues and then again innately, finding and self prescribing medicinal solutions to either cure or mitigate the problem. That is really amazing.

Looking up the Flehmen’s response I noticed that it is a method of exposing/sensitizing the vomeronasal organ to be able to discern the various molecules in a particular scent. Seems there is an ongoing hot debate whether humans have such an organ or whether it is vestigial or perhaps simply anthropized from disuse in adults. You're probably aware of a naturopathy methodology called Applied Kinesiology that uses a form of muscle testing that in effect taps into the subconscious to tweak out some of the same information that you say lower orders do naturally. My mother has been using the kinesiology for half a century and though I always considered it some sort of voodoo, I have not been able to argue her results. What you are pointing out is a pathway for how that potentially works and it is not voodoo after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.